April 28, 2024, 04:08:30 PM

Poll

Are Jamaicans more ambitious than Trinis?

Yes
0 (0%)
No
3 (33.3%)
About the Same
5 (55.6%)
In certain things
1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Aviation History by a Caribbean brother  (Read 8847 times)

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
Aviation History by a Caribbean brother
« on: March 23, 2007, 03:11:49 PM »
I'm posting this quickly before I reach home.....

This 23 year old Jamaican brother set off on this mission to fly around the world today, and I was proud to be there to see it, as a Caribbean man and as a fellow black pilot. Wasn't a dry eye in the house - and thousands were there.  The Tuskeegee airmen sent a rep to wish him well....

The whole story is incredible and I was very inspired. Son of a preacher, he is going to break records and make history with this for blacks, Caribbean people and young people.  It's been on everything from CNN to local news all day, so here is your chance to learn about it first before the mainstream really gets a hold of it.

www.experienceaviation.org

The story of how he got the plane is almost as amazing as a young caribbean born brother actually accomplishing this. BY HIMSELF. AT 23!

I'll update with more links and info later on.

Barrington has a lot of Trini classmates, so of course I asked them why it is a Trini ent fly around the world in a plane yet (well, a plane not named Cariibean, United or American Airlines)

http://experienceaviation.org/flight_map.php
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 03:27:06 PM by atoboldon »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
Re: Aviation History by a Caribbean brother
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 03:20:12 PM »
Nice link . .thanks . .with so many negative stories, is nice to see a positive one

Ato .. .check de spelling in de first link (last three letters s/b 'ion' ... not 'oin') so it eh working .. de second one is OK

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 03:27:47 PM »
Thanks.  Yeah I on a foreign keyboard!
BORN TO DO IT

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 03:37:12 PM »
first question....why did he have to go all the way to Cleveland Ohio, and not stay along the eastern seaboard?
the most amazing thing is the Aircraft and how he got it....bravo :applause: :applause:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 03:42:05 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline noname

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 04:12:47 PM »
first question....why did he have to go all the way to Cleveland Ohio, and not stay along the eastern seaboard?
the most amazing thing is the Aircraft and how he got it....bravo :applause: :applause:

Wow...This is definitely a nice story for the youths of today. Persistence, hardwork and more hardwork...Live your dream Mr. Barrington.

As for whether Trinis or Jamaicans more ambitious; I'd think its more based on qualities instilled during younger years than anything else.

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 05:30:13 PM »
nice story....truly inspirational  :applause:

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 05:32:47 PM »
well done!

Wish I'd known about it before. Wonder if I can get a story done upon his return...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 06:12:51 PM by Queen Macoomeh »

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 06:09:27 PM »
stupes

how this come into another who better thing

congrats bredda

now notice why i grew up with no heroes
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 06:13:29 PM »
stupes

how this come into another who better thing

congrats bredda

now notice why i grew up with no heroes

yeah I noticed that and wondered too...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 06:24:24 PM by Queen Macoomeh »

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 08:30:47 PM »
wow..after reading HOW he get that plane. I really hope he completes the journey
dat man was real determined to go

as for the poll..well when it come to pilotin

we win  ;D

http://www.aaregistry.com/african_american_history/2378/Hubert_Julian_The_Black_Eagle__
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 08:34:30 PM by Dutty »
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 08:33:54 PM »
now i knwo everyones experinces different...but when a man or youth say he didnt have any opportinuies growing up..or "is cause ha black".............................
by n large everyone can asomethign of themselves
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 10:33:39 PM »

He is getting some much deserved press:

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledgerenquirer/news/nation/16963365.htm

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/070321_irving_flight.html

To show you how bad the US media is eh, the man said "empowered by an extraordinary God" and look what they printed, and there is no way that reporter didn't hear it, because people immediately reacted.

OPA-LOCKA
Pilot embarks on journey of inspiration
A MAN SETS OUT TO BE THE YOUNGEST EVER TO FLY AROUND THE WORLD
BY ROBERT SAMUELS
rsamuels@MiamiHerald.com
Barrington Irving stood silently in front of the cheering crowd. It was all for him, this mass of thousands eager to see him start his historic journey around the Earth.

''Please forgive me,'' Irving said Friday at Opa-locka Executive Airport. ``I just need to soak it all in.''

Irving was still wondering about it all. Just a few years ago, people mocked the 23-year-old's desire to become the youngest person -- and first black -- to fly solo around the world.

Now, he was about to do it. Schoolchildren smiled in front of him. His parents and politicians sobbed behind him.

Somehow, Irving, a Northwestern high school graduate still working toward a college degree, got them all to believe in his dream.

He left Friday on a speedy single-engine plane, ''Inspiration.'' He'll fly 25,600 miles. He'll return the end of April, after stopping to see places he never thought he'd see: Athens, Rome, Dubai, Bangkok, even Cleveland.

For so long, Irving said, he has wanted to fly away from the violence around him. His family came to Florida from Jamaica's violent capital, Kingston. They moved to Miami Gardens, he played school football in Liberty City -- but still found violence. He wasn't sure how to escape.

Aboard Inspiration, Irving said he wants to jet past the negativity he's seen all his life.

'If I saw a pilot who looked like me when I was a little boy, I would have said `No way,' '' said Irving, whose parents owned a small bookstore in Pembroke Pines. ``Men who live around me never had careers like that.''

Then he met Gary Robinson, a Jamaican-born pilot who became his mentor. Irving, all of 15, became fascinated with flying.

At 19, he got his pilot's license. He's majoring in aerospace at nearby Florida Memorial University, where he also became a member of the ROTC program.

His dream came up one day about three years ago when he and fellow ROTC cadets were traveling to the University of Miami for a training exercise. They were discussing what they wanted to do after college, recalled Curtis Major, FMU's transportation manager.

A wide-eyed Irving told Major and the others, ``I am going to fly around the world.''

''They all looked at me like I was kind of crazy,'' Irving recalled. ``They all wanted to know why I wanted to even bother.''

He told them he wanted to see the wonders of the world -- and to be the type of role model for children that he didn't have.

All he needed was the money and the plane, so he sought sponsors. At first, they all gave him the same look as the ROTC students.

He tore his rejection letters in frustration. Then he began saving others in boxes. He has more than 50.

Fabio Alexander V, chief executive of Miami Executive Aviation, was the first willing sponsor. He pledged $100,000.

''I really tried to test his will and spirt,'' Alexander said. ``Why would a football player want to fly planes? But he was so determined. I couldn't say no. ''

Irving traveled the country to get more support. He also gave speeches to children from North Carolina to Mississippi and opened a flight learning center at the Opa-locka airport for local children.

In all, more than 40 sponsors have contributed $600,000 worth of donations.

Preparing for the flight, he tried to keep his blood pressure down by trying not to worry. He's been drinking 80 ounces of water a day to keep hydrated -- and 16 ounces of energy drinks to keep awake. He's done light weights and has jogged at least a half-hour a day. He has prayed for safety.

His cockpit is tiny, about 7 feet tall and 10 feet wide and holds only a few things: two Red Bull cartons, a carton of bottled water, a new Bible, thank-you notes from children, that box of rejection letters.

''People refer to me as a prodigy,'' Irving told Friday's crowd. ``But I'm not. I'm just an ordinary person, surrounded by extraordinary people, empowered by an extraordinary guy.''

Then he climbed into Inspiration. He circled the airport four times, then flew off. His parents, Clovalyn and Barrington Irving Sr., watched, their eyes filling with tears, as their son disappeared into the sky.

A black woman and her son walked and tapped them on their shoulders.

''I just wanted to introduce my son to you,'' said Denise Johnson, in the company of her 12-year-old, Albert Porter. ``He wants to be the next great pilot.''

« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 10:43:00 PM by atoboldon »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 04:06:07 AM »
Is this more inspirational than the little girl in SAGHS with no hands who has passed all her exams with distinctions.?
How do you rate inspirational stories ?
This guy is in the richest country in the world, all the companies that helped him would probably save millions in advertising from the mileage this story attracts.
I am not impressed.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline noname

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2007, 08:35:32 AM »
Is this more inspirational than the little girl in SAGHS with no hands who has passed all her exams with distinctions.?
This guy is in the richest country in the world, all the companies that helped him would probably save millions in advertising from the mileage this story attracts.
I am not impressed.

Why it have to be a comparison/competition? Both have their own underlying positive attributes that can be used to inspire people. I know you just gunning for ole talk but come nah man.

TTFF_saddist

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2007, 08:48:00 AM »
I find the Senator's question to be valid.  are Jamaicans more ambitious that trinis?  Thy are certainly more patriotic and you will never see a Jamaican trying to act like a trini, but you will find thousands of trinis saying blood claut etc, and acting like Jakans.

Internationally, Jamaica and Jamaicans are more widely known tha trinis.

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2007, 02:27:34 AM »
I am not impressed.

Why it have to be a comparison/competition? Both have their own underlying positive attributes that can be used to inspire people. I know you just gunning for ole talk but come nah man.

Sometimes I wonder about people and their ability to comprehend. The have a poll asking if Jamaicans more ambitious than Trinidadians, so it is a comparison cretin.

Offline noname

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2007, 10:26:51 AM »
I am not impressed.

Sometimes I wonder about people and their ability to comprehend. The have a poll asking if Jamaicans more ambitious than Trinidadians, so it is a comparison cretin.

Yuh know...I give you a very respectful answer, trying to highlight an alternative point of view where we should not have to compare inspirational acts via nationality cause it makes no sense.
But instead with your supposed supreme intellect, you chose to respond in a condescending manner. Maybe I should start another topic about why we should compare those acts? Would that be ok? Could you then respond to the question of why it has to be a comparison?
Look, I aint want to mess up this man thread but seriously, wipe up that mess yuh just spew on your keyboard nah.

Again, Congrats to the man.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2007, 11:06:49 AM »
I am not impressed.

good point fishs. i guess this story is inspirational to those that have the ambition to fly around the world. so is inspirational in a specific sense.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2007, 11:47:36 AM »
Everything is inspirational in a "specific sense". 

A girl with no arms who gets perfect grades on her exams, well, someone might say well she is probably home a lot, so clearly she had the time and inclination to study.  It doesn't diminish her achievement, but it is a high school exam taken by students in the UK and her former colonies.

I would argue that this achievement could be "climbing Mt. Everest" and it wouldn't be inspirational to only mountain climbers.  If someone is doing something that no one in human history has ever done at a younger age, or no black man has done, and no Caribbean person has done, then clearly it's not "feat-specific".  This isn't eating 100 hot-dogs!

Because someone doesn't think it's a big deal is little reason to belittle what is, AND WHAT HISTORY WILL RECORD, is a great achievement.  Corporate sponsors don't diminish the achievement, or because "he is in the richest country in the world and they may profit from it (which they really won't)"

If it was a man from Nairobi, Kenya it would be equally as significant!
BORN TO DO IT

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2007, 10:22:45 PM »
DIS FELLA START OFF WITH A SCHOOL LEAVING CERTIFICATE. He did'n eat 100 hot dogs !!!

'Watchman' gets top UN position

Gregory Lal-Beharie glb@trinidadexpress.com

Monday, March 26th 2007

newly appointed: Wayne Hayde

Calypsonian Watchman, attorney-at-law and police officer, Corporal Wayne Hayde, has landed a top job with the United Nations, after working at some of the worlds hot-spots with the UN for the past nine years.

Hayde remained a police officer after being granted special leave in 1998, to join a UN team in Rwanda investigating the 1994 genocide of an estimated 800,000 people in 100 days. At the same time, he became a Canadian resident.

Corporal Hayde, who turned 50 last January, joined the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service in 1975, on the same day as Minister in the ministry of National Security Fitzgerald Hinds, who also became an attorney. They have remained good friends.

He returned to Trinidad on Monday to file for his retirement from the Police Service, and told the Express he credits his success to the training he received from the service here. He pointed out that he would willingly take a pay cut from his new job if invited to be this country's next Police Commissioner.

"Once it's understood that my experience and qualifications is equivalent or better than anybody they could get from a foreign country.

"The assumption should not be that because I was born here, I should be treated as having less ability," Hayde said of any opportunity he could get to serve the country again.

Hayde said he had put his calypso career on hold over the years. However, he said he was disappointed with his fellow calypsonians who had become biased.

"Everyone seems to have lost their voices. Calypsonian who would smash other parties seem to give one political party far more favours. It gives the impression you're one-sided."

Hayde has been appointed the UN's Chief of the Conduct and Discipline Unit for the Middle East region. He will be based in Cyprus.

Following his posting in Rwanda with the UN's International Criminal Tribunal, where he served as a witness support officer ensuring witnesses to the killings were given the necessary protection and support, he was posted to East Timor in 2000.

He said during his time there he was adviser to four police commissioners, two from Portugal, one from Canada and one from Australia. He also assisted in drafting regulations for the new police service there, and laws relating to firearms and road traffic regulations. Hayde said he also became the adviser to the East Timor prosecutor general and trained local prosecutors, especially in the dealing with transnational crime in human trafficking and terrorism.

Hayde left Trinidad yesterday.

truetrini

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2007, 10:27:01 PM »
fishes de man real cool yuh know, he used to live up Simeon road and we was real pardners.

he used to play hockey fuh Police too.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2007, 04:46:31 AM »
Everything is inspirational in a "specific sense". 

A girl with no arms who gets perfect grades on her exams, well, someone might say well she is probably home a lot, so clearly she had the time and inclination to study.  It doesn't diminish her achievement, but it is a high school exam taken by students in the UK and her former colonies.

I would argue that this achievement could be "climbing Mt. Everest" and it wouldn't be inspirational to only mountain climbers.  If someone is doing something that no one in human history has ever done at a younger age, or no black man has done, and no Caribbean person has done, then clearly it's not "feat-specific".  This isn't eating 100 hot-dogs!
Because someone doesn't think it's a big deal is little reason to belittle what is, AND WHAT HISTORY WILL RECORD, is a great achievement.  Corporate sponsors don't diminish the achievement, or because "he is in the richest country in the world and they may profit from it (which they really won't)"

If it was a man from Nairobi, Kenya it would be equally as significant!
Ato..sponsor de hotdogs nah
ah willing to take on de challenge  ;D
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2007, 07:54:46 AM »
YoU KNow its funny. when a balck person or anyone for that matter does somethign good we all try to relate, laud or show some connetcion to that person.
however if a black person does somethign even slightly dumb...then all kinds of boundries and disticntions are thrown up- dais ah yardy- dais ah black american dem so....- lord look dem lavintlle people again-  etc etc

steups oui. the best thing about this thread is the fact the he showin young people that u can achieve what you want.
it eh matter if he was chiine or cream coloured.
people like to talk about tolerance etc but once u have to conitnue making nay kind of disticntions along certain lines then its obvious that nuttin eh change..underneath it all
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2007, 10:50:12 AM »
All the best son...try to stay airborne ;D
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 07:26:14 AM by Pointman »
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2007, 12:09:17 PM »
Very cool indeed I wish him all the best, but not too sure how this relates to the Poll? One does not have to do anything with the other.

Personal choice in my opinion. I don't think Jamacians are any more or less ambitious than their Trini counterparts. There are enough personalities we can cite as examples both for and against

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2007, 06:30:57 PM »
I was contented to read this thread and stay out the argument, BC i really don't want to attract any  negative attention to myself,but there's something that's been pressing on my mind and i must express it. it's seems to me alot of the members on this forum just love to insult belittle and malign each other in a negatively competitive manner, which  i figure to be extremely friggin childish. it reminds me of my years in primary school and even then we competted with each other in a more dignified manner.                                                                       listen people I'm really happy to spend time discusing things with people of my own culture BC i normally don't hang around my own people enough and it would be fun if we could only treat each other with a little respect. one thing we should be more aweare of ,is that people from all around the world log on to our web site,please lets be a little more professional  i don't believe in disrespecting grown folks in response to a trivial matter, i don't think all that is necessary.    just an observation.I'm not an authority.          positive.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2007, 07:31:34 AM »
I was contented to read this thread and stay out the argument, BC i really don't want to attract any  negative attention to myself,but there's something that's been pressing on my mind and i must express it. it's seems to me alot of the members on this forum just love to insult belittle and malign each other in a negatively competitive manner, which  i figure to be extremely friggin childish. it reminds me of my years in primary school and even then we competted with each other in a more dignified manner.                                                                       listen people I'm really happy to spend time discusing things with people of my own culture BC i normally don't hang around my own people enough and it would be fun if we could only treat each other with a little respect. one thing we should be more aweare of ,is that people from all around the world log on to our web site,please lets be a little more professional  i don't believe in disrespecting grown folks in response to a trivial matter, i don't think all that is necessary.    just an observation.I'm not an authority.          positive.

JC it seems that you are relatively new to this forum. Many here have expressed the same sentiments however you will find that the insults continue. Some of them are goodnatured kicks and some can be quite disgusting but it(insults) hasn't stopped and I suspect it won't stop. So, a bit of advice, YOU JC, stay above the fray and you maintain your own sence of dignity because that is as much as you can control.
Peace
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline davyjenny

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2007, 09:14:23 AM »
Good looking out Ato this is good news. History in the making.
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2007, 03:36:29 PM »
Irving Barrington is back in the USa

HE landed in Houston on June 22 .

His Around the world flight is almost done
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2007, 01:08:44 PM »

Internationally, Jamaica and Jamaicans are more widely known tha trinis.
Primarily due to it's proximity to the US...an Bob Marley of course.

1]; } ?>