March 28, 2024, 03:11:38 PM

Author Topic: VS Naipaul Thread  (Read 23741 times)

truetrini

Re: Naipaul again
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2008, 08:42:12 AM »
loved most of his books from a liuterary perspective, i  eh rally care what his persoal views are about trini..... personally. it have enough people who claim to ove trini and f**kin it over off ah greed, if someone makes me look at trini critically then i find dais god.

loved sam selvon more. Although he use to criticize trini also..his work still had a hopeful tone. Despite our problems etc etc.....

ah feel I go write a book for VS..I go call it " AH Bull for Mr Naipaul...ooops he done get dat already!

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2008, 09:15:56 AM »

anyone familiar with Neil Bissoondath??

Neil Devindra Bissoondath (born April 19, 1955 in Arima, Trinidad and Tobago) is a Canadian author who lives in Ste-Foy, Quebec. He is a noted writer of fiction, and also an outspoken critic of Canada's system of multiculturalism. He is the nephew of authors V.S. Naipaul and Shiva Naipaul.

Works

* Digging Up Mountains - 1987
    * "Im Not Racist, But..." - 1989
    * A Casual Brutality - 1989
    * On the Eve of Uncertain Tomorrows - 1991
    * The Innocence of Age - 1993
    * Selling Illusions: The Cult of Multiculturalism in Canada 1994
    * The Worlds Within Her - 1999 (Nominated for a Governor General's Award)
    * Doing the Heart Good - 2002
    * The Unyielding Clamour of the Night - 2005

I have seen him on TV and from all appearance, he does not seem to embrace his Trinidadian roots ...  and look, he related to VS Naipaul
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2008, 09:24:02 AM »
So de indian man who born in trinidad (arima no less) living in de french people place and do not like multiculturalism.....anyone say slow boat to Goa.........maybe he ahd a bad experince(s) growing up in arima..lol

anyways...
Micheal Anthony another really good trinidadian author.
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2008, 09:31:38 AM »
Naipaul has so little respect for his homeland...pity. I like his work but when he opens his mouth I am disappointed.
T&T is not perfect, but to claim to be English - a land that decimated most of the known world...T&T appears to be idyllic in its history in comparison.

He is a poor ambassador.

truetrini

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2008, 09:59:12 AM »
Naipaul has so little respect for his homeland...pity. I like his work but when he opens his mouth I am disappointed.
T&T is not perfect, but to claim to be English - a land that decimated most of the known world...T&T appears to be idyllic in its history in comparison.

He is a poor ambassador.

nah, yuh wrong queenis hs is not a poor ambassador, he is ah damn sour old fart.

He deserve ah damn good calpet and if I had meh way, ah woulda ban he from T&T.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2008, 10:03:30 AM »
I thought ya wanted to ban Wim :devil:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

truetrini

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2008, 10:04:23 AM »

I want wim sit dong onder a coconut tree in ah very high wind.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2008, 10:05:58 AM »

I want wim sit dong onder a coconut tree in ah very high wind.

:rotfl:
he go lorse he nuts :devil:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2008, 10:58:39 AM »

ent Naipaul was born a British citizen?

I doh care too much about his distancing from us....he grow up here as a teenager and then left.  and it didn't have as much communication and connection with home then so probably was easy to just assimilate.
takes all types....he is representative of a large number of emigrants...especially from that era.  Like how many people left here back in the day when they had the choice to take up British citizenship....home is a new place and trinidad a distant memory. 

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2008, 11:44:35 AM »
Exactly. And the setting used for a good portion of his literary work was Trinidad. He does just upset me. He got the best of what ever little we had at the time...and then he identifying himself as English First....Indian Second? Steups.

Di'n he win ah island scholarship to go study in England too?  If I correct we pay fuh he education and now dat he reach de facker wha' turn 'rung and fack we up like we eh nutten.

man fack he, oui.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 11:48:10 AM by Bake n Shark »

truetrini

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2008, 11:52:51 AM »

ent Naipaul was born a British citizen?

I doh care too much about his distancing from us....he grow up here as a teenager and then left.  and it didn't have as much communication and connection with home then so probably was easy to just assimilate.
takes all types....he is representative of a large number of emigrants...especially from that era.  Like how many people left here back in the day when they had the choice to take up British citizenship....home is a new place and trinidad a distant memory. 

leh meh remind yuh of a popular kaiso called Trini tuh de bone

Distant memory?  cyar be ah distant memory if he only mentioned we in ha bad light..leh he haul he c**t....ah feel de f**ker racist

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2008, 04:02:04 PM »
Yeah I ain't buying that distant memory thing neither. As Bourbon correctly stated most of his best work was set in Trinidad. He chose to forget Trinidad. His literary genius doesn't give him an excuse to proverbially shit on the flag.

Regarding the abuse,if it's true I think it is tragic that he had to experience that. 

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2008, 05:00:43 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2008, 05:35:05 PM »
I cyan stand him either but lord have mercy i never see so much hate for one man in a thread dealing with his tragedy that is no fault of his own...

Maybe the abuse helped to condition his view of Trinidad  :-\
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2008, 05:36:53 PM »
When exactly he start getting heat from Trinis?  I think he said something when he won the nobel...didn't read all his books so i not sure if is based on that.
When he was here last year he say is a big misunderstanding...lol
don't really care....just another one of many who leave and don't have good things to say bout home...usually based on bad experiences (even though he claim he is misunderstood...or was it his wife say that?)
for some reason jus cool come to mind...at least when he had now come and was explaining his signature

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2008, 06:32:21 PM »
What a piece of work this guy is....more from his biography

My cruelty killed first wife: V S Naipaul    

Friday, 21 March , 2008, 19:13 

London: Nobel Prize-winning writer Sir V S Naipaul says the mental cruelty he inflicted on his first wife may have contributed to her death, according to a new biography quoted by a British newspaper Friday.

Naipaul, 75, tormented his first wife Patricia for four decades, visited prostitutes and had an extra-marital affair for 24 years, the biography by Patrick French says.

The Daily Telegraph, which is to serialise the book, said that although Patricia knew of Naipaul's affair with his love Margaret Gooding, it was his disclosure about visits to prostitutes that finally killed her.

According to Patrick French, Patricia learnt that her husband regularly saw prostitutes in London after he boasted about it in a magazine interview in 1994. She had just had a mastectomy and was in remission from cancer.

She found the disclosure so abhorrent that it sent her rapidly downhill and she died in 1996, says French.

Naipaul admits in the biography, titled The World Is What It Is: "I think that consumed her. I think she had all the relapses and everything after that. She suffered. It could be said that I killed her. It could be said. I feel a little bit that way."

Patricia and Naipaul, who met at Oxford, were married in 1955. He ended his affair with the married Margaret Gooding as Patricia lay dying.

A day after her funeral, Naipaul "welcomed into his home" a Pakistani journalist, Nadira Khannum Alvi, and married her two months later, the newspaper reported.

French, a well-known writer on India and Tibet, was given free access to all of Naipaul's papers and is the first person to read Patricia's 24 volumes of diaries, kept under lock and key at the University of Tulsa since Naipaul sold his archive for $620,000.

Source
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 06:34:02 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2008, 06:39:30 PM »
A day after her funeral, Naipaul "welcomed into his home" a Pakistani journalist, Nadira Khannum Alvi, and married her two months later, the newspaper reported.

Lord he eh easy
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2008, 06:47:53 PM »
I cyan stand him either but lord have mercy i never see so much hate for one man in a thread dealing with his tragedy that is no fault of his own...

For me, there's no hate for Naipaul. I don't know the man and can't hate someone I do not know. It's hard enough for me to hate people I do know...
But there seems to be at least one screw loose here that can't simply be ascribed to his eccentricity. If he was abused, I am sorry to hear. That should happen to no child. But here he is saying it happens to all Indian children in Trinidad. How crazy is that? Is he just trying to sell books?

The bridge crossed has been damned soundly and publicly. He speaks about my country of birth so I take offence, especially when he applauds another that is mired in age old blood.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 08:13:49 AM by Queen Macoomeh »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2008, 07:01:06 PM »

I'm sure you use it figuratively...but there isn't a single person on God's green earth that I 'hate'.  Truth be told I won't even invest as much emotion in the man as to despise him.  I would have harsh words for anyone speaking ill of my country as QM said, that it is one of our own biting the hand that fed him means that his words/actions only cut deeper.  England can have him...but fack him all the same.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2008, 07:04:43 PM »
A fine Englishman indeed.

http://www.usp.nus.edu.sg/post/caribbean/naipaul/meena.html

Naipaul is kind of like Mike Tyson....great at one specific thing, but an utter failure as a human being. Like most people possesed of a single standout talent he had neither the integrity nor intelligence to overcome the damning consequences of that single talent.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2008, 07:26:28 PM »
Didn't he come to Trinidad recently to do a series of UWI readings and lectures for some schoolchildren? I remember he was of a more mellow nature and was talking about the need to forget any sense of African and Indian and progress instead as Trinidadian

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2008, 07:28:45 PM »
Love him or hate him, he is a mad Trini GENIUS!!!!

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2008, 07:35:33 PM »
genius?  ???

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2008, 07:52:06 PM »
A fine Englishman indeed.

http://www.usp.nus.edu.sg/post/caribbean/naipaul/meena.html

Naipaul is kind of like Mike Tyson....great at one specific thing, but an utter failure as a human being. Like most people possesed of a single standout talent he had neither the integrity nor intelligence to overcome the damning consequences of that single talent.
...except I'd hardly say that his apparent personality defects are a consequence of his talent.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2008, 07:53:06 PM »
Love him or hate him, he is a mad Trini GENIUS!!!!

"...you spit on your people
your people applaud"

QM there's no denying his genius.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2008, 08:06:19 PM »
on the contrary...his work is appreciated differently by different people. It is subject to personal preferences..

I read his work, I enjoy it. I would read more, but I would not place genius on it. So while I don't deny it, I question the title. To me, there are fewer geniuses than publicly lauded. And more unknown...

...just my 2 cents TT

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2008, 08:08:56 PM »
on the contrary...his work is appreciated differently by different people. It is subject to personal preferences..

I read his work, I enjoy it. I would read more, but I would not place genius on it. So while I don't deny it, I question the title..
From a completely objective standpoint, and as one schooled in the art (not that it qualifies me more than others)...I can honestly say that one may disagree with the content and characterizations, but one absolutely cannot quibble with the craft.  The label is hardly subjective...but your opinion is yours.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2008, 08:13:22 PM »
More from the repulsive genius..

"ON receiving the Nobel Prize for Literature this year, V.S. Naipaul has responded by paying tribute to England, "(his) home", and India, "the home of (his) ancestors". Oddly enough, Trinidad does not merit a mention in Naipaul's tribute - though he was born and grew up in Trinidad, and though it is the home of his most admired early works such as The Mystic Masseur, A House for Mr Biswas and Miguel Street. Or perhaps it is not so odd, considering that Naipaul has written, "I knew Trinidad to be unimportant, uncreative, cynical... (with)... an indifference to virtue as well as vice." - Source

I am not much for regrets...but I thoroughly regret the sense of pride, the euphoria I naively felt upon hearing word of his being awarded the Nobel Prize back in 2001.  Upon reading the interview with him in The Washington Post that day my emotions were properly put in perspective by his apathy for Trinidad...but I never knew it was this bad. 

Apathy would be charitable.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 08:15:13 PM by Bake n Shark »

truetrini

« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2008, 08:49:03 PM »
Curlish, mewling asshole that he is..I hate he damn ass..I despise him.  He turn he back on his home land for nutten.  Trinidad didn't bull him, is one ah he family members.  He claims to be English and then Indian, so f**k he, why we care about this old mangy f**k tard?

I eh go lie, I did enjoy his books in secondary schools, de same ones dey make we read becasue it was about life in T&T from a T&T born author, but de man is ah asshole.

This is how he should describe he life.

1.  Asshole first
2. Asshole second
3....and assshole third.
4.  I thank England for making me into a grade A asshole
5.  And my ancestors, and relatives, especially the one who bull meh for grooming me and making me into a more complete asshole.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2008, 10:28:08 PM »
If Naipaul that bad, what about Stephen Mallory?

1]; } ?>