April 25, 2024, 04:03:39 PM

Author Topic: VS Naipaul Thread  (Read 23864 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Naipaul again
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2008, 10:37:03 PM »
If Naipaul that bad, what about Stephen Mallory?

I fail to see the comparison.  At least Mallory had the good graces not to bad talk the land of his birth...and he actually spent less time on Trini soil than that turncoat bastard.

But feel free to create he own thread fuh him all the same...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 10:40:00 PM by Bake n Shark »

truetrini

« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2008, 10:49:03 PM »
Trinidad wasnt even considered ah country when stephen mallory was aorund.

de man wasnt ah trini he was ah american.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2008, 10:54:40 PM »
Trinidad wasnt even considered ah country when stephen mallory was aorund.

de man wasnt ah trini he was ah american.

Deeks just trying tuh deflect attention away from de chinks in he hero armor.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2008, 11:59:50 PM »
Curlish, mewling asshole that he is..I hate he damn ass..I despise him.  He turn he back on his home land for nutten.  Trinidad didn't bull him, is one ah he family members.  He claims to be English and then Indian, so f**k he, why we care about this old mangy f**k tard?

I eh go lie, I did enjoy his books in secondary schools, de same ones dey make we read becasue it was about life in T&T from a T&T born author, but de man is ah asshole.

This is how he should describe he life.

1.  Asshole first
2. Asshole second
3....and assshole third.
4.  I thank England for making me into a grade A asshole
5.  And my ancestors, and relatives, especially the one who bull meh for grooming me and making me into a more complete asshole.

Naipaul for T&T senior football coach!!!

Ok TT who yuh hate de wuss....Wim or Naipaul?
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

truetrini

« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2008, 05:49:32 AM »
Curlish, mewling asshole that he is..I hate he damn ass..I despise him.  He turn he back on his home land for nutten.  Trinidad didn't bull him, is one ah he family members.  He claims to be English and then Indian, so f**k he, why we care about this old mangy f**k tard?

I eh go lie, I did enjoy his books in secondary schools, de same ones dey make we read becasue it was about life in T&T from a T&T born author, but de man is ah asshole.

This is how he should describe he life.

1.  Asshole first
2. Asshole second
3....and assshole third.
4.  I thank England for making me into a grade A asshole
5.  And my ancestors, and relatives, especially the one who bull meh for grooming me and making me into a more complete asshole.

Naipaul for T&T senior football coach!!!

Ok TT who yuh hate de wuss....Wim or Naipaul?

wim dutch born, he come here and pull ah little con game, make some change get ketch and ride out.

Wha is Naipaul story?

he born here, he is ah f**king trini, yet he claim england and India..shows the f**king lack of character by this man.  And he so indian yet he hate trinidad some would say because he suffer abuse here at the hands of a relative..ah bet yuh de relative was indian..why he also hate indians?

de man is ah nasty c**t...f**k he I woulda withdraw every national honour and ban he from entering T&T.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2008, 07:43:51 AM »
on the contrary...his work is appreciated differently by different people. It is subject to personal preferences..

I read his work, I enjoy it. I would read more, but I would not place genius on it. So while I don't deny it, I question the title..
From a completely objective standpoint, and as one schooled in the art (not that it qualifies me more than others)...I can honestly say that one may disagree with the content and characterizations, but one absolutely cannot quibble with the craft.  The label is hardly subjective...but your opinion is yours.

not to belabour the point...but once again I beg to differ.
The arts are subjective. That, to me, is what makes it an art - subject only to the senses which are as yet, unquantifiable. I do quibble with the idea of objective 'craft' - what then is the definition of craft? One craftsman may bring you to tears with his rendition while another, in the same genre, may leave you unaffected. It has the je ne sais quoi for you but not for me. I think that is the beauty in art. How many times have we said "I don't know why, but I like that..."? While someone else looks at it and steupse?

My opinion is mine yes, of course, it cannot be otherwise. I learned that I can only present it, I cannot force it on others. It's an art... :D

Good seque away from Naipaul...he frets me.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2008, 08:24:48 AM »
Then the UNC was vex how de National Library wasn't name after him.

Leh Britain andI ndia buil' library fuh him.

I hope he didn't get dah Trinity cross after he made those comments eh.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2008, 10:19:03 AM »
Rumour has it the V.S. Naipaul Society meets once annually at varying obscure locations, on Naipaul's birthday, to pay homage to Naipaul's preserved depiction of Trinidad as colony and island-village-outpost-backwater.

Membership in the society is not prized and is thought to be confined to Hat's descendants resident on Miguel Street and a handful of ailing contemporaries known as the Bogarts. The latter are nostalgic about what never was, and remain bitter about the nation's 1977 transition to republicanism. Each openly longed to acquire the knighthood that VS casually attained and which has evaded them due to constitutional and historical circumstance. To a man they despise Sir Ellis and are jealously mystified as to why Vidia Surajprasad does not use the honorific. They would kill for it, and may have.

Meanwhile, Hat's descendants wonder what the fuss is about. They have never met VS. And, although they enjoy the feasts served on these occasions, they have tired of the ordeal to which the old men subject them. Credible authority has it conversation between the groups is restricted to: 'What happening there, Bogart?' ... 'What happening there, Hat?'

:P

truetrini

« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2008, 10:22:52 AM »
Rumour has it the V.S. Naipaul Society meets once annually at varying obscure locations, on Naipaul's birthday, to pay homage to Naipaul's preserved depiction of Trinidad as colony and island-village-outpost-backwater.

Membership in the society is not prized and is thought to be confined to Hat's descendants resident on Miguel Street and a handful of ailing contemporaries known as the Bogarts. The latter are nostalgic about what never was, and remain bitter about the nation's 1977 transition to republicanism. Each openly longed to acquire the knighthood that VS casually attained and which has evaded them due to constitutional and historical circumstance. To a man they despise Sir Ellis and are jealously mystified as to why Vidia Surajprasad does not use the honorific. They would kill for it, and may have.

Meanwhile, Hat's descendants wonder what the fuss is about. They have never met VS. And, although they enjoy the feasts served on these occasions, they have tired of the ordeal to which the old men subject them. Credible authority has it conversation between the groups is restricted to: 'What happening there, Bogart?' ... 'What happening there, Hat?'

:P

wey dey does hold dese feasts?  In de Dharma Saba (sp)?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2008, 07:04:41 PM »
Aye Asylumseeker,
                           That part about TT is a republic is ah flicking joke. We still have to subject ourselve to the Privy Council. Naipaul was right we are Mimic men. When Eric had the opportunity to make us a real republic, he chose to  hold on to the Queen's coat-tail. We still scared to swim in the deep as the saying goes.

truetrini

« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2008, 07:44:06 PM »
Aye Asylumseeker,
                           That part about TT is a republic is ah flicking joke. We still have to subject ourselve to the Privy Council. Naipaul was right we are Mimic men. When Eric had the opportunity to make us a real republic, he chose to  hold on to the Queen's coat-tail. We still scared to swim in the deep as the saying goes.

Actually Eric did a good job with the whole republic thing.  Had we divorced the crown completly without the necessary infrastructure, we would have been in a truely dark place.

Mimic men?  not really, it is called laying the foundation...setting a legacy.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2008, 09:12:48 PM »
Aye Asylumseeker,

Deeks we are a young republic with a growing judiciary...as it stands we need need to firm up our appellate system and until that point comes we have chosen to be guided by the Privy Council.  By no means are we subject to their rulings...if you recall they ruled in favor of the Dole Chadee gang and we still executed them.  So that really has nothing to do with us being a republic or not.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2008, 11:24:01 PM »
A day after her funeral, Naipaul "welcomed into his home" a Pakistani journalist, Nadira Khannum Alvi, and married her two months later, the newspaper reported.

Lord he eh easy

She eh easy either ...

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2008, 08:42:34 AM »
Queen Macoomeh
For me, there's no hate for Naipaul. I don't know the man and can't hate someone I do not know. It's hard enough for me to hate people I do know...

I'm sure you use it figuratively...but there isn't a single person on God's green earth that I 'hate'.

Yes, it was figurative.

Apparently the only person in the thread who claiming to literally hate him is truetrini (correct me if I wrong) and he seem to have his reason. I not knocking anybody opinion, i ent have no soft spot for naipaul.

I wasn't looking for any excuses for his behaviour either, more trying to understand where his apparent 'hate' of a place that, according to him had such little impact on who he grew up, to be could come from.

I personally would be ready to subscribe to the mad genius theory. From what I reading in the snippets of the bio this 'irrational' hatred (assuming that the abuse has nothing to do with it) is not the only screw he have loose up in the membrane.

That said, nobody ent paying me to psychoanalyse him so I go leave it at that.

I agree 100% with the person who say they prefer Selvon though. If it wasn't for Miguel Street I probably wouldn't know who V.S. was before he get his prize.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2008, 11:59:44 AM »
Queen Macoomeh
For me, there's no hate for Naipaul. I don't know the man and can't hate someone I do not know. It's hard enough for me to hate people I do know...

I'm sure you use it figuratively...but there isn't a single person on God's green earth that I 'hate'.

Yes, it was figurative.

Apparently the only person in the thread who claiming to literally hate him is truetrini (correct me if I wrong) and he seem to have his reason. I not knocking anybody opinion, i ent have no soft spot for naipaul.

I wasn't looking for any excuses for his behaviour either, more trying to understand where his apparent 'hate' of a place that, according to him had such little impact on who he grew up, to be could come from.

I personally would be ready to subscribe to the mad genius theory. From what I reading in the snippets of the bio this 'irrational' hatred (assuming that the abuse has nothing to do with it) is not the only screw he have loose up in the membrane.

That said, nobody ent paying me to psychoanalyse him so I go leave it at that.

I agree 100% with the person who say they prefer Selvon though. If it wasn't for Miguel Street I probably wouldn't know who V.S. was before he get his prize.
Something turn in me de day I read that article on him after that Nobel win.  It's no exaggeration to say that Naipaul had an influence on me as a young writer, his gift to me was as apparent as the need for oxygen...and felt just as refreshing when I first read Miguel Street in Form 1 (2?).  I could definitely understand that having lived in england for so long that has become both his physical and emotional home.  But I saw nothing in his early writings to betray anything in his sentiments about Trinidad, so wretchedly negative as he has come to express in his later years.  My shock was eclipsed only by my disappointment in him.

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2008, 12:23:40 PM »
In early 2007, V.S Naipaul made a long-awaited return to his homeland of Trinidad. He urged citizens to shrug off the notions of "Indian" and "African" and to concentrate on being "Trinidadian". He was warmly received by students and intellectuals alike and it seems, finally, that he has come to some form of closure with Trinidad.

The things that come out sometime.

Has anyone read Mr Naipaul books that are not set in Trinidad.
I never read Miguel street, but I did read a House for Mr. Biswas and Mystic Masseur. I truly enjoyed these two books, but i enjoyed them because of their familiarity and nostalgia it invoked. I am not sure if his other books would invoke the same feeling.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2008, 12:38:25 PM »
In early 2007, V.S Naipaul made a long-awaited return to his homeland of Trinidad. He urged citizens to shrug off the notions of "Indian" and "African" and to concentrate on being "Trinidadian". He was warmly received by students and intellectuals alike and it seems, finally, that he has come to some form of closure with Trinidad.

I never read Miguel street, but I did read a House for Mr. Biswas and Mystic Masseur. I truly enjoyed these two books, but i enjoyed them because of their familiarity and nostalgia it invoked. I am not sure if his other books would invoke the same feeling.

ummm no eh!

the in-person accounts from his visit to Trinidad is that he came across as extremely condescending and dismissive of the same 'students and intellectuals alike' mentioned above, refusing to answer questions and labelling them as trivial.

Here is an account from a high school student who attended that event:

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_opinion?id=161135441

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2008, 12:44:07 PM »

ummm no eh!

the in-person accounts from his visit to Trinidad is that he came across as extremely condescending and dismissive of the same 'students and intellectuals alike' mentioned above, refusing to answer questions and labelling them as trivial.

Here is an account from a high school student who attended that event:

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_opinion?id=161135441

I quite familar with the was VS behaved on his visit to trini, but my quote was off on posted in wikipedia.

truetrini

« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2008, 01:01:26 PM »
Naipaul get raped and he is now a boorish rube who chooses to intrude on our peace and serenity.

Hey Vidia (is that really a man name?) how about this as a piece ah literature?

"I hope yuh grow some unsightly warts on thy unsighly countenance, as thou art naught but a cod sniffing canker flower, on the ass of all of Trinidad!"

f**k he

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2008, 02:13:44 PM »
As de saying goes, Naipaul doh give a rat's ass. He could care less.

Ah siddung literally RIGHT IN FRONT de man, his wife, and his son and watch dem dash wey a series of questions from (based on de locale) what had to have been a pretty astute audience. Plus, many were gathered for HIS booksigning. It struck me as being inappropriate. So ah could well imagine how dismisive he may have been of secondary schoolers.

[Ah find these letters to the editor ought to be attributed. Whaiz dis 'high school student'  thing .. sometimes yuh even seeing things like ... "Bitter in Belmont" ... "Disturbed in Diego" ... anyhow, diff'rent topic. Iz time de express realize it's a national newspaper and not some bachannalist rag.]

« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 02:15:47 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2008, 05:58:43 PM »
Guys,

all yuh sentiments bordering on vitriolic. The man was abused as a kid which has left an indeliable stain on his psyche. But his "naybull string" bury in TT. We have to take the "good" and the "bad". He is OURS, even though he don't big up TT.

truetrini

« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2008, 06:43:35 PM »
he nabel string buried in T&T?  Nah!

I feel dem clamp and cut Mr. Naipaul damn toti orf...and leave he nabel sting attached dat is why he so f**ked up and vex with sweet Trinidad.

I could see how getting bulled can screw up ah man psyche eh...but what does Trinidad as a nation have tuh do with dat?  Why doesn't he hate his family and his people for failing to protect him?

Steups.

And my theory has more credence as since he eh have no toti he come out ah BIG sucker!

f**k he!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2008, 07:50:34 PM »
Guys,

all yuh sentiments bordering on vitriolic. The man was abused as a kid which has left an indeliable stain on his psyche. But his "naybull string" bury in TT. We have to take the "good" and the "bad". He is OURS, even though he don't big up TT.

Deeks you reallll going tuh bat fuh dis man dred...but I hear yuh.  You could claim him, lol

truetrini

« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2008, 08:13:19 PM »
Guys,

Deeks you reallll going tuh bat fuh dis man dred...but I hear yuh.  You could claim him, lol

ent.

Yuh is ah true christian fella...unless yuh is he family and yuh was dey when he was young and yuh.....nahhhhhh  cyar be.  :devil:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2008, 08:31:07 PM »
Guys,

ent.

Yuh is ah true christian fella...unless yuh is he family and yuh was dey when he was young and yuh.....nahhhhhh  cyar be.  :devil:

Nah...I staying away from dat one, lol

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2008, 05:37:17 PM »
some ah allyuh ah shame to call even friggin trini...

When i read some of allyuh post....it filled with ingrained hatred...because Naipaul is a blasted coolie right?

Admit it ...race has alot to do with allyuh criticisms...it really sad how as a litterate society some people cant come to terms with separating  culural pressures with that of merit.
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2008, 05:54:21 PM »

When i read some of allyuh post....it filled with ingrained hatred...because Naipaul is a blasted coolie right?

Admit it ...race has alot to do with allyuh criticisms...it really sad how as a litterate society some people cant come to terms with separating  culural pressures with that of merit.

I cyah speak for dem fellahs...but I eh think so

I doh see nobody callin for ah boycott of he books or nuttn....his writings are still held in wide esteem
But the fact his for decades he consistently 'waste down' not only where he comes from but the people he left behind in a most condescending manner...especially as his fame and fortune was launched by writing about the very same island he has held in contempt for years.

Regardless of yuh race..dat does pretty much qualify anyone as ah walking penis

Personally I think he mad for years
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 06:00:04 PM by Dutty »
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

truetrini

« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2008, 06:10:58 PM »

whappen to you fella, yuh reverting tuh yuh crazy ways or what?

Like yuh never hear de things Naipaul say about trinis and trinidad or what?

Some of his most stinging criticisms have come from Indians.

I hate he nasty ass....take dat in yuh pweffen and chill tuh f**k out.

He could be ah f**king balck man, ah indian ah chinee and ah whiteman...he is still ah f**king asshole.

yuh come with shit ass talk about you shame tuh call some ah we trini?

He is de one who disoen trinidad and say he is ah englishman first and den ah indian second...if anyone racist is he

f**k he and you and de horse dat bull him

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2008, 08:20:01 PM »
f**k he and you and de horse dat bull him...i was surprised yuh didnt say d horse dat bull me too.... ;D

There is way too much ingrained hatred and i stand by that...regardless of whether he iz ah imps or not..d man put we on d map....

It have some trinis who feel dem more american than trini too....and feel like tnt aint nuttin to dem until dey realise america aint give ah shit about them too...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 08:21:56 PM by rotatopoti3 »
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2008, 10:01:29 PM »
When exactly he start getting heat from Trinis?  I think he said something when he won the nobel...didn't read all his books so i not sure if is based on that.
When he was here last year he say is a big misunderstanding...lol
don't really care....just another one of many who leave and don't have good things to say bout home...usually based on bad experiences (even though he claim he is misunderstood...or was it his wife say that?)
for some reason jus cool come to mind...at least when he had now come and was explaining his signature
So how i get in this argument partner. i dun wid the racist talk on this board,BC doh matter what i say in regard to race, it will allways be missunderstood just like my sig. 

PS:for the record, i'm a trinidadian and i love my country, i just real openly critical of the hypocrisy that plague my home town, and the wickedness that most of our less fortunate citizens have to endure under the govt, and the capitalist who happen to be mainly old money white racist facked-up trini's who does segregate their self from the rest of the population in ah real apartheid stylie.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 02:52:28 AM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

1]; } ?>