March 28, 2024, 08:26:56 AM

Author Topic: VS Naipaul Thread  (Read 23738 times)

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
Re: Naipaul again
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2008, 11:20:03 PM »
some ah allyuh ah shame to call even friggin trini...

When i read some of allyuh post....it filled with ingrained hatred...because Naipaul is a blasted coolie right?

Admit it ...race has alot to do with allyuh criticisms...it really sad how as a litterate society some people cant come to terms with separating  culural pressures with that of merit.

While I agree with your views on some of the posts on the board, I would not call anybody a coolie especially since I would not like to be call one. As for my personal opinion of VS I think he full of himself and that is why I don't care much for the individual. I do appreciate his wrk, however his apparent disdain for his home land the setting for for his more successfull wrks makes me dislike the indvidual even more.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2008, 01:31:27 AM »
some ah allyuh ah shame to call even friggin trini...

When i read some of allyuh post....it filled with ingrained hatred...because Naipaul is a blasted coolie right?

Admit it ...race has alot to do with allyuh criticisms...it really sad how as a litterate society some people cant come to terms with separating culural pressures with that of merit.

WDMCIDIHHS?  Call out people if you feel so strongly, but don't cover everybody with them blanket accusations. How you know who here is Indian and who is not? Naipaul considers himself an English aryan. And he denigrates African people and Indian people of so-called lower caste. He more likely to denigrate people as "coolie" than many of us here on this board. He is an jackass with a single talent for writing words on paper.

How much Englishman you think does laugh behind Naipaul back?

And as for "put we on the map", he hold we up as fools and nothing else.

Some people here does consistently make some real ignorant racist statements, that they would not like turned back on themselves and their people. And many times it does go unchallenged. But don't paint everybody with the same brush.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 01:35:01 AM by ZANDOLIE »
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

truetrini

« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2008, 07:24:14 AM »
Put we on de map?  How so?  By bad talking me...we the mimic men?

I said I enjoyed reading his works, regret I  did though, I vex I contribute one cent to dat lout.

f**k he and he defenders.

I eh care if he get bull, it is obvious he eh get bull enough.....dey should bull him senseless.

Fuch dat Englishman and Indian..f**k he!

I cyar stand he guts.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2008, 01:12:04 PM »

hmm .. I think I have to conclude that TT doh like de man .. :devil:
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2008, 03:47:09 PM »
f**k he and you and de horse dat bull him...i was surprised yuh didnt say d horse dat bull me too.... ;D

There is way too much ingrained hatred and i stand by that...regardless of whether he iz ah imps or not..d man put we on d map....

It have some trinis who feel dem more american than trini too....and feel like tnt aint nuttin to dem until dey realise america aint give ah shit about them too...

Well yeah! Lehwe pelt more pitch oil on de fire. I fuh dat. Ah glad race reach in dis, but not for the reason advanced by rotato.

Why? Because race has been a significant component on which Naipaul's legacy has been built. Doh geh tie up tall atall atall ... I would love to delve deeper into Naipaul's frame of race. Frankly, HE has left me VERY curious over time about the lens through which HE views race relations. Hence it's appropriate to deal with this race supposition rotato pushed.

When I read Naipaul I get a sense of racial dynamics in the country 50 years ago. I get hints of why our politics is where we are today. I read confirmation of social marginalization. I also get that Naipaul let experiences before his 18th birthday completely dominate his relationship to OUR country. Ah say that having read several of his works. Some more than once.

+++

rotato that accusation yuh brandish dey is a double-edged sword ... buh lehwe sharpen it lil bit bredda ...

French writes of Naipaul: "The only Blacks he associated with now were Conrad and Barbara" ...

Wheeler writes: "His dismissal of his homeland became part of his persona."

Naipaul on himself: "An autobiography can distort; facts can be realigned," ... "But fiction never lies: it reveals the writer totally."

Akash Kapur writes: "Few writers have offended their readers as regularly as V.S. Naipaul has. From his first travel book, which disparaged the West Indies as a "dot on the map" where "nothing was created," to his most recent, in which he dismissed Pakistan as a "criminal enterprise," the Trinidad-born author of Indian ancestry has shown a staggering capacity for insensitivity and prejudice. Africa is filled with "bow-and-arrow people." India is "an area of darkness." "V.S. Nightfall," Derek Walcott has called him; like a man who turns his back to the sun, Naipaul sees the world through his own shadow."

+++

Further, iz long time now I know VS to be disparaged by all de creeds and races that are trying to find equal places on dem twin islands in de blue Caribbean Sea we call Trinidad & Tobago. Long time!

Today Naipaul is a cynical, eccentric and idiosyncratic old man. Yesteryear he was a cynical, eccentric and idiosyncratic young man.

It's clear that he was affected by his years at Oxford. But I have a fair sense that the man relishes being somewhat of a misogynist ... he may be a firm bastard, but ah go continue to read him. Ah eh read him in 5-6 years (around de time he pulled that stunt with de ppl's questions) but whenever I return to him I find some insights  ... Jes like how when ah figure ah suss EVERY Marley line to emotive perfection, somedays a line from Bob will strike me differently ...

One bone I have to pick with VS is that he's studiously left a void with respect to attaining a Trinidad-centered definition of him. By not answering questions, by being dismissive, by defaulting on the opportunity to place himself in context to a place that wants to claim him, if only as prodigal son ... Yuh would figure that he would employ a path of redemption and conciliation as he heads into his 80s ... but apparently not. He will die an ornery and contrary bastard.

So rotato, guess what? The consequence of this is the firm leverage of vitriol (and even hate) from yet another generation of Trinbagonians.

Naipaul is a missed opportunity. A missed opportunity to broker within our society. A missed opportunity to explain to curious 16, 17 and 18 year olds the difficulties of extricating yuhself from de society one is born into ... to alien worlds in pursuit of ambitions ... as many times as Naipaul bounce he head, he's more than equipped to share.

In the end VS fulfills one of the stereotypes associated with the roots we know him to have had. The greatest taint left by Naipaul is his being the comprehensive definition of an emigre with purposeful amnesia.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 04:30:26 PM by asylumseeker »

truetrini

« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2008, 04:12:57 PM »
afterall dat analysis, he remains ah c**t...f**k he

he is de racist.

haul he stink (******) modder c**t!  (put whatevr adjective yuh want in dey)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2008, 04:35:13 PM »
Naipaul learns he has "one" the 1971 Booker from an illiterate note by the publisher Carmen Callil. At a writers' symposium in Sweden our hero and Michael Frayn try their first sauna. When Kurt Vonnegut finds them naked on a bench ("It seems to be getting hotter"; "It's quite hot now"), they are mistakenly still in the changing room. Pity we couldn't have had this as a jacket image.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2008, 04:39:02 PM »
Naipaul learns he has "one" the 1971 Booker from an illiterate note by the publisher Carmen Callil. At a writers' symposium in Sweden our hero and Michael Frayn try their first sauna. When Kurt Vonnegut finds them naked on a bench ("It seems to be getting hotter"; "It's quite hot now"), they are mistakenly still in the changing room. Pity we couldn't have had this as a jacket image.

Two question?

What de hell does dat quote mean?....and how yuh kick off de tibetan flag undercover so?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

truetrini

« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2008, 04:43:27 PM »
f**k Tibet too

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 27, 2008, 04:46:25 PM »
f**k Tibet too

blasted kismihass flag flappin yankee
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 05:03:10 PM by Dutty »
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

truetrini

« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2008, 07:00:02 PM »
f**k Tibet too

blasted kismihass flag flappin yankee

de only flag I have is ah trini flag.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2008, 06:29:29 AM »
When exactly he start getting heat from Trinis?  I think he said something when he won the nobel...didn't read all his books so i not sure if is based on that.
When he was here last year he say is a big misunderstanding...lol
don't really care....just another one of many who leave and don't have good things to say bout home...usually based on bad experiences (even though he claim he is misunderstood...or was it his wife say that?)
for some reason jus cool come to mind...at least when he had now come and was explaining his signature
So how i get in this argument partner. i dun wid the racist talk on this board,BC doh matter what i say in regard to race, it will allways be missunderstood just like my sig. 

PS:for the record, i'm a trinidadian and i love my country, i just real openly critical of the hypocrisy that plague my home town, and the wickedness that most of our less fortunate citizens have to endure under the govt, and the capitalist who happen to be mainly old money white racist facked-up trini's who does segregate their self from the rest of the population in ah real apartheid stylie.

u sure u eh talking bout yuh good ole USA or  even canada???  or Brooklyn eh count
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2008, 08:18:42 AM »

Is it me or TT don't like the English chap?

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2008, 08:30:22 AM »

it have anybody TT like??
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2008, 08:49:39 AM »

His ..

President - Bushy
Prime Minister - Manny

and

coconut vendors.. he like the feel of big nuts in his hand and on his lips.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2008, 08:53:24 AM »

Two question?

What de hell does dat quote mean?....and how yuh kick off de tibetan flag undercover so?

The quote is from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2008/04/12/bonai112.xml

The Tibet flag will be back. It was up there with the South African flag on a human rights level. The fact that South Africa 2010 is the football destination comes as coincidence.

Why? IMV the South African flag and the Tibetan flag hold shared meaning, especially when one interprets current events. These events have presented China with its hugest PR challenge since 1989.

We don't speak much about the 1976 Olympics that we attended and medalled at ... but at which many countries decided not to participate at on the grounds of opposition to sporting links with South Africa.

There are several parallels with what Tibet represents today and what South Africa represented in years past.

truetrini

« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2008, 09:19:35 AM »

Plenty I like, but yuh have tuh give meh reason tuh like yuh.

So whappen Organic one, yuh like Very Shitty Naipaul?

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2008, 09:25:28 AM »

i doh dislike de man he never do i anythign.. i said i liek him fomr a literary perspective. and i do.
but i perfer sam selvon and micheal anthony ... for reasons in my initial reposne in this thread

truetrini

« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2008, 09:26:43 AM »
f**k naipaul he is ah ****** c**t

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 28, 2008, 10:00:08 AM »

i doh dislike de man he never do i anythign.. i said i liek him fomr a literary perspective. and i do.
but i perfer sam selvon and micheal anthony ... for reasons in my initial reposne in this thread

Green days by the river is still one of my fav books.

doh worry wid TT, he experiencing menopause.

truetrini

« Reply #110 on: April 28, 2008, 10:01:33 AM »

Green days by the river is still one of my fav books.

doh worry wid TT, he experiencing menopause.

I had a hot shit earlier from some roti..and I used Miguel Street to wipe meh arse!   And ah only do dat cuz I couldn't use Naipaul heself as he was not available.  Ah hear he very absorbant
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 10:31:19 AM by truetrini »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 28, 2008, 10:03:11 AM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
allya are de bess
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 20, 2008, 10:30:47 PM »
V. S. Naipaul, a Man Who Has Earned a Knighthood, a Nobel and Enemies Galore
By DWIGHT GARNER

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/19/books/19garn.html?_r=2&pagewanted=print

THE WORLD IS WHAT IT IS
The Authorized Biography of V. S. Naipaul
By Patrick French

Books about literary friendships (James and Wharton, Kerouac and Ginsberg, Melville and Hawthorne) drop into bookstores with numbing regularity. Books about literary revenge are more rare and thus more interesting.

In 1998 Paul Theroux published “Sir Vidia’s Shadow,” a memoir about the crumbling of his long friendship with V. S. Naipaul, the great Trinidad-born novelist. Mr. Theroux’s book was a potent, carefully mixed cocktail, served ice cold. It laid bare Mr. Naipaul’s racism, misogyny, vanity, stinginess and (most distressingly) his emotional cruelty to Patricia, his first wife.

Now, 10 years later, comes “The World Is What It Is,” Patrick French’s authorized biography of Mr. Naipaul. It’s a handsome volume, jacketed in silver and black, with a disarming cover photograph of Mr. Naipaul stooping, with a gap-toothed grin, to tie a loose shoelace.

Flip Mr. French’s book over, however, and you confront this Voldemortian clump of words from Mr. Naipaul’s old nemesis, Mr. Theroux: “It seems I didn’t know half of all the horrors.” Cue the scary organ music.

Well, the reader thinks, here we go: Mr. French’s 550-page biography will be a long string of bummers, a forced march through the life of a startlingly original writer with an ugly, remote personality.

The good news is that Mr. French, a young British journalist, is certainly unafraid to face unpleasant facts about his subject. But the better news about “The World Is What It Is” is this: it’s one of the sprightliest, most gripping, most intellectually curious and, well, funniest biographies of a living writer (Mr. Naipaul is 76) to come along in years.

Mr. French is a relative rarity among biographers, a real writer, and at his best he sounds like a combination of that wily bohemian Geoff Dyer and that wittily matter-of-factual cyborg Michael Kinsley.

Even the cameos in Mr. French’s biography are crazily vivid. Here is his hole-in-one description of the editor Francis Wyndham: “Popular, gentle, solitary and eccentric, Wyndham lived with his mother, wore heavy glasses and high-waisted trousers, gave off random murmurs and squeaks and moved with an amphibian gait.”

It is to Mr. Naipaul’s credit that this crafty and inquisitive book exists. “He believed that a less than candid biography would be pointless,” Mr. French writes, “and his willingness to allow such a book to be published in his lifetime was at once an act of narcissism and humility.”

Mr. Naipaul gave Mr. French access to his archives , including journals of his first wife that he’d not yet read. Mr. Naipaul was allowed to examine the completed manuscript but requested no changes.

Mr. French indicates, early on, that he is not playing softball. On his book’s second page we read that Mr. Naipaul “said, or was said to have said, that Africa had no future, Islam was a calamity, France was fraudulent, and interviewers were monkeys. If Zadie Smith of ‘White Teeth’ fame — optimistic and presentable — was a white liberal’s dream, V. S. Naipaul was the nightmare. Rather than celebrate multiculturalism, he denounced it as ‘multi-culti,’ made malign jokes about people with darker skin than himself, blamed formerly oppressed nations for their continuing failure.”

“For a successful immigrant writer to take such a position,” Mr. French continues, “was seen as a special kind of treason.”

But Mr. French quickly and adroitly steps back to give us a wide-angled and morally complicated view of how Mr. Naipaul, knighted in 1990 and named a Nobel laureate in 2001, made his way in the world, how his greatest books were conceived and composed, how he became what he became: genius, loner, sexual obsessive, ogre, snob, provocateur and profoundly influential and controversial thinker on subjects like colonialism and belief and unbelief.

Born into an Indian family in Trinidad in 1932, Vidiadhar Surajprasad Naipaul was raised in relative poverty. His hapless father, a sign painter and occasional journalist, was the inspiration for what may be Mr. Naipaul’s signal work of fiction, “A House for Mr. Biswas” (1961). Mr. Naipaul’s more animated mother, Mr. French suggests, inspired his literary voice: “bright, certain, robust, slightly mocking.”

A scholarship took Mr. Naipaul, at 18, to University College, Oxford, and he has lived in England ever since. When Mr. Naipaul’s first novel, “The Mystic Masseur,” was published in 1957, Mr. French notes, in typically vivid prose: “Like a tiger cub bringing home his first kill, he copied out extracts for his mother from the reviews.”

Mr. Naipaul’s dealings with women make up a good part of “The World Is What It Is.” You will often wish to cover your eyes. After a fumbling sexual encounter that reads like an outtake from Ian McEwan’s “On Chesil Beach,” Mr. Naipaul proposed to Patricia Hale, an aspiring young actress. They would remain married until her death in 1996, but it was often a twisted, withered, tenuous relationship. Mr. Naipaul criticized her remorselessly and regularly visited prostitutes; he also carried on a decades-long affair with a younger woman, Margaret Murray, whom he sometimes violently beat. For her part, Ms. Murray liked to entertain Mr. Naipaul by mailing him life-size drawings “of his erect penis, done in dark brown felt-tip; the penis wore sunglasses and a lime green cowboy hat.”

Though Patricia Naipaul frequently came along with her husband when he researched his travel books, she is rarely mentioned in them; she floated behind, a kind of ghost in his life. Later, when she was dying of breast cancer, he was angry she did not perish quickly enough. He wished to marry his current wife, Nadira.

Mr. French writes with wit and feeling about Mr. Naipaul’s books, and about Mr. Naipaul’s sense of his career. He was grimly determined not to be seen as merely a West Indian writer. “Like Ralph Ellison after the publication of ‘Invisible Man,’ he maintained that he was in a category all of his own.”

Mr. Naipaul was capable of racism. And his success sometimes brought it out in others. Evelyn Waugh, in a 1963 letter to Nancy Mitford, noted that Mr. Naipaul had won yet another literary prize: “Oh for a black face,” he wrote.

Mr. French details the off-and-on animosity between Mr. Naipaul and the Caribbean poet and fellow Nobelist Derek Walcott. Would people still praise Mr. Naipaul’s “nasty little sneers” against black people, Mr. Walcott has asked, if those sneers were turned on Jews?

The final sections of Mr. French’s biography grow a bit deflated and sad; the book becomes a list of awards and obligations, and a compendium of Mr. Naipaul’s boorish behavior. (He dressed down Iris Murdoch while both were dining with Margaret Thatcher at 10 Downing Street; he soured an evening at Francis Ford Coppola’s Napa Valley estate by disapproving of the food and by sneering at George Lucas: “I don’t know ‘Star Wars,’ I am not interested in films.”)

“A writer is in the end not his books, but his myth,” Mr. Naipaul has written. “And that myth is in the keeping of others.” Mr. Naipaul was brave to allow this complicated parsing of his own myth into the world. You will finish “The World Is What It Is” wishing to reread Mr. Naipaul’s best books immediately. You will also be glad he is not your friend, neighbor, sibling, landlord or barista.

But what of it? Bad people write good books. And as Mr. Naipaul pointedly says here, “I remain completely indifferent to how people think of me.”

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 20, 2008, 10:42:29 PM »
wait nuh
Naipaul does post on here sometimes :devil:

serious: thanks Omar...good read
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2018, 04:51:25 PM »
VS Naipaul has passed away . He was 85

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 11, 2018, 05:55:35 PM »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2018, 06:13:50 PM »
Good shout informing us that the "British author" has passed away.

From his obit in The Telegraph :

As Edward Said,  a former professor of English and comparative literature at Columbia University, once put it, although Naipaul, in the West is seen as "a master novelist and an important witness to the disintegration and hypocrisy of the third world, in the postcolonial world he's a marked man as a purveyor of stereotypes and disgust for the world that produced him - though that doesn't exclude people thinking he's a gifted writer."

Not sure [how] he'll be mourned, but he will leave a void.

Several comments on this thread are aligned with Said.

RIP.

Particularly fitting that he would die during the week that the TTFA President sought to tangle, then disentangle, then re-engage with the US Embassy.

Not too long ago a fellow named Nakhid described a view of the reconstructed football world order that's consistent with Naipaulian themes. Playing out before our eyes from the Home of Football to Marli Street are some of the repugnant things that compelled Naipaul's disdain for some of our indigenous habits. In this sense, he should be embraced.

RIP for that as we teeter on the edge of the end of the generation to which Naipaul belonged (although he truly belonged to no one and that was at the core of why he is today known as the "British author" merely born in Trinidad.)

« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 06:45:03 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2018, 06:53:17 PM »

RIP Mr Naipaul

https://www.facebook.com/CNC3Television/posts/10156683680737996

well ah reading the comments under the original FB post and plenty pople saying he did not like Trinidad and in fact had deep contempt against T&T and saw himself as British. He refused to accept any awards from T&T throughout his lifetime. But still we should recognise him for his contribution to Caribbean literature, but I will recognise him as a British man

1]; } ?>