April 29, 2024, 12:06:33 AM

Author Topic: African Teams  (Read 2618 times)

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
African Teams
« on: March 27, 2007, 09:53:38 PM »
When i look at d big clubs in europe  they each have  atleast 1 african player. African nations have been a force to reckon with at the youth world cups and at the olympics(U23) so what gives........ even the great pele said that an african nation would win the cup b4 2000.

talent and experience doesnt seem 2 b a problem so its confusing
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
Re: African Teams
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 10:39:36 PM »
Same reason we why we can't be a force to reckon with in CONCACAF........corrupt FEDERATIONS!!! or lack of proper organisation. But lookout for dem, dey coming.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 03:17:24 AM »
Same reason we why we can't be a force to reckon with in CONCACAF........corrupt FEDERATIONS!!! or lack of proper organisation. But lookout for dem, dey coming.

Big Up!
DeSoWa, you say a Book there man
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 05:54:45 AM »

Big Up!

Yuh nah talk....yuh preach!!!
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline fatman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 08:22:00 AM »
what you say is true,however from my knowledge of sporting organizations corruption is rife even in europe, dont feel it is just africa and concacaf.In places like europe individual owners of clubs some times have even more infuence than the national administrators.Again while i agree with what you say i still think there are other deep reasons remember proffesional football in some countries is well over a hundred years old.World cup football has been slowly opened up to all via more qualifying spots etc.with in the next ten years the face of world cup competition is changing.Do you not think roger milla could have played in any league in the world ?who is the best african national footballer we know(dont say eusibio)who ever he is there were 50 before him thatwe have never heard of(if not more).While i agree corruption and organization do hold them back.Europeans have never given up superiority in any thing easily.west indies cricket was highly criticized when our dominance became unbearable.fast bowling rules followed.So do not underestimate the force of politics out of europe.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 11:55:53 AM »
what you say is true,however from my knowledge of sporting organizations corruption is rife even in europe, dont feel it is just africa and concacaf.In places like europe individual owners of clubs some times have even more infuence than the national administrators.Again while i agree with what you say i still think there are other deep reasons remember proffesional football in some countries is well over a hundred years old.World cup football has been slowly opened up to all via more qualifying spots etc.with in the next ten years the face of world cup competition is changing.Do you not think roger milla could have played in any league in the world ?who is the best african national footballer we know(dont say eusibio)who ever he is there were 50 before him thatwe have never heard of(if not more).While i agree corruption and organization do hold them back.Europeans have never given up superiority in any thing easily.west indies cricket was highly criticized when our dominance became unbearable.fast bowling rules followed.So do not underestimate the force of politics out of europe.

I hear all what you are saying Fatman, but do you ever hear the European federations complaining about dey eh have no money?  or dey doh know dey schedule for de year? and how de players and coach go get pay?
But you are right Corruption is all over, and it start from de head...FIFA  ;D

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 12:40:20 PM »
African nations are coming along fine..With these things it will always be a case of 2 steps forward, 1 step back. It just takes time. After Ghana won a few youth championships you saw the continent take it to another level as Nigeria and Cameroun won back to back Olympic games. That did not happen overnight and the might Ghanians only managed to qualify for the WC for the 1st time in 2006. Progress is definitely being made but there are so many factors that go into winning a WC and some of which seem beyond anyone's control...Teams like Spain and Portugal have alot of talent and decent national team programs and all the infrastructure they need. They've won their share of youth WCs and cyah win the real deal yet..Holland cannot win it either. Next Wc is in South Africa...might be then...who knows

And I also agree that you cannot discount the negative effect of poor organization and rampant corruption...but I think countries like Brazil and Argentina have overcome similar levels of corruption and off the field problems to win WCs..so it is possible

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 12:57:20 PM »
African nations are coming along fine..With these things it will always be a case of 2 steps forward, 1 step back. It just takes time. After Ghana won a few youth championships you saw the continent take it to another level as Nigeria and Cameroun won back to back Olympic games. That did not happen overnight and the might Ghanians only managed to qualify for the WC for the 1st time in 2006. Progress is definitely being made but there are so many factors that go into winning a WC and some of which seem beyond anyone's control...Teams like Spain and Portugal have alot of talent and decent national team programs and all the infrastructure they need. They've won their share of youth WCs and cyah win the real deal yet..Holland cannot win it either. Next Wc is in South Africa...might be then...who knows

And I also agree that you cannot discount the negative effect of poor organization and rampant corruption...but I think countries like Brazil and Argentina have overcome similar levels of corruption and off the field problems to win WCs..so it is possible

.....Not only have African nations won their fair share of youth tournaments, but they have been runners-up to vactiorius teams, both african and non-African.  the point you make in your closing statement makes it mind-boggling how Brazil just came onto the world stage and have been dominant for so long (and, to their credit,Argentina has risen above their fair share of obstacles as well, both political and social).  I can only wonder if it is that Brazil brought a whole new style of footbal that was completely different from what the European-styled teams had been used to (including Uruguay) in the 50's and 60's.
   I also think that it is also a little unfair, the route of qualifications that African nations have to go through to get to the WC.......but that is for another day.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 01:42:11 PM »
African football has come very far in the last 20 years but they just arnt the full package yet. First they could attack but couldnt defend. now they can do both, they have the speed and physical side just like everyone else as they are all professional players now. from the playing point of view I see a big problem is good footballing thinkers, somthing europe and south america have throughout. players who know when to pass when to shoot when to slow a game down, vision. we have been lucky enough to have had yorke and latapy. but for africa such a big continent and a force but hav seemed to lack the intelligent players it takes to win a world cup, plz dont jump at meh and string off a list of names remember we is 1.3 million chek how much africa is. no doubt that will come in time. I am by no means saying caribbean football has come further than africas either. From a admin point i have no idea but africa is full of corruption like the rest of the world so who knows if that really stiffle the football. also big african talent does get stolen by certain european nations, no names  :o

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 02:54:22 PM »
I would like to see forumites' take what is de best all-star African side in your opinion, using current players:

My tentative side, in 4-4-2 formation

Drogba         Eto'o

Diouf      Appiah       Essien      Lauren

Song        K. Toure    Yobo       Geremi

T. Sylva

Subs:

O. Martins
N. Kanu
E. Djemba Djemba
Benny McCarthy
Muntari
Papa Bouba Diop
Kone
D. Zokora
M. Sissoko
Henri Camara

May have forgotten a few other standouts though, and unfortunately I doh see as much of de French league as I'd like to

« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 02:56:48 PM by Grande man »

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 03:05:55 PM »
I would like to see forumites' take what is de best all-star African side in your opinion, using current players:

My tentative side, in 4-4-2 formation

Drogba         Eto'o

Diouf      Appiah       Essien      Lauren

Song        K. Toure    Yobo       Geremi

T. Sylva

Subs:

O. Martins
N. Kanu
E. Djemba Djemba
Benny McCarthy
Muntari
Papa Bouba Diop
Kone
D. Zokora
M. Sissoko
Henri Camara

May have forgotten a few other standouts though, and unfortunately I doh see as much of de French league as I'd like to

Grande Man, it hard to argue a case for him being in the Starting Lineup, eh......but yuh cyah tell meh yuh leavin' out meh boy, John Obi Mikel........and have Sissoko on de team. 
  Also, as much as I like Tony Sylva (and this IS a tough choice).......I would put Carlos Kameni as the starting GK ahead of him.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 03:11:32 PM »
True, Kameni is a class goalkeeper but I eh see him lately to judge - what club he playing for now?

As fuh Obi Mikel, he still have plenty to learn about de game...he eh ready for dat kinda company yet in the all-star lineup, IMO

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 03:59:22 PM »
True, Kameni is a class goalkeeper but I eh see him lately to judge - what club he playing for now?

As fuh Obi Mikel, he still have plenty to learn about de game...he eh ready for dat kinda company yet in the all-star lineup, IMO

Kameni plays for Espanyol........but I guess we go have to agree to disagree on the John Obi Mikel thing, because no matter how much you may feel he has to learn.....he is still a much better player than Sissoko.......and he scoring goals for Nigeria.

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 10:41:03 PM »
I would put Eboue as right back.

Did Okocha retire from professional football?

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 10:53:46 PM »
I would put Eboue as right back.

Did Okocha retire from professional football?

He playin in Qatar now

1]; } ?>