April 23, 2024, 10:23:22 PM

Poll

Is a Caribbean Pro Soccer League Feasible ?

Yes
17 (81%)
No
4 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: What about a: CARIBBEAN PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE?  (Read 31980 times)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
What about a: CARIBBEAN PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE?
« on: March 17, 2005, 12:11:05 PM »
As Caribbean nations we need to develop a sense of passion, pride, and self esteem about our perchance for football. We have the talent, we have the facilities and we have the knowledge. So why do we always have to rely on foreign coaches, and techniques to elevate our level and to bring a sense of salvation to our game?

I say we spend more time elevating the status, training and the economics for our players. We should look at forming a Caribbean Professional Football League (C.P.F.L.) Let's develop some regional rivalry and expand the skill base in our respective nations within the region.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 02:06:24 PM by Tallman »

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
Re: What about a: CARIBBEAN PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 01:06:20 PM »
This was tried back in the early 90s with Superstar Rangers, Alcons and some JA teams, can't remember details. Interest wasn't enough to sustain it, especially with thw travel demands. We need to focus on developing the domestic league. The Concacaf club championship is a goo intl tourney to gauge  progress
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 01:21:54 PM »
I know it was attempted but the implementation and timining may have been prohibitive but it does not mean that we should not revisit it. If we could generate local support, domestic  development and regional rivalries, this may generate some fan base and regional interets.

I suspect  that one big factor would be the economic viability of teams been able to generate revenue to pay its players, cover travel expenses and sustaing the operations of these clubs.

These factors could be alleviated if each club had  some cooperate sponsors. Or better yet if we want o do some reversed exploitation. Have  teams  gain an affiliation with a British, European or American teams and we could be  "Farm" system for these  clubs. What anatural way for our players to  gain development and future employment.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Re: oops corrections
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 01:28:13 PM »
As Caribbean nations we need to develop a sense of passion, pride, and self esteem about our perchance for football. We have the talent, we have the facilities and we have the knowledge. So why do we always have to rely on foreign coaches, and techniques to elevate our level and to bring a sense of salvation to our game?

I say we spend more time elevating the status, training and the economics for our players. We should look at forming a Caribbean Professional Football League (C.P.F.L.) Let's develop some regional rivalry and expand the skill base in our respective nations within the region.

I am convinced Trinidad & Tobago can have its own League. Historically, you would remember football at club level and Zonal level use to sell out the Parks. Valients vs Hurricanes sold out Skinner Park. SFA vs SFL sold out Mahica in Point, I even remember Village Olympics football fulling up the Park.
Football needs an identity, football clubs need an identity, with identity come a following. There is no football without FANS. Fans are responsible for demanding the standard, they create the athmosphere, they draw more fans etc etc. Lets be honest who is Joe Public? Having San Juan Jabloteh is good but they do not train and play in San juan.
T&T is much too small to have all these leagues, create a league that forces the best players to play against each other every Saturday or Sunday & Wednesday night FULL STOP. this league is run by a seperate governing body from TTFF (Important). Off the top of my head,  make the football County driven, this will  create an identity, the league should be no larger than 8-10 teams (premier) with a second division below that (promotion relegation). It may also be of interest for local small businesses men of the county to invest (much like the Premier did back in the early 80's). Clubs could also make $$$ from plays sold, traded, season tickets etc. Once the league is over have a well marketed Zonal competition for $$$ North, South, East ,West, Tobago. Put it on TV. From this group one can begin selecting and developing local squads (National teams). Now I know I gone into something else, but something must be done to bring people back to local football and Alberta Trini is right it has to start at home.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline rocwell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 02:07:45 PM »
You have some ideas but I think you're not thinking it through.

1.  Are you suggesting that our {pro league should be run by someone other than the TTFF? 
     Bad idea, as when the ineveitable club vs country conflicts occur, the clubs will not have to
     answer o anyone.

2.  To put anything on TV requires a lot of money.  To show league games on TV requires 
      funds from advertisers, who aren't going to put said money up if not enough people are
      watching.

3.   The same goes for the private sector businesses investing money.  You only spend
       money when you can make a profit?  Once again when a business spnsors a
      team, it sees returns from advertising

The pro League is a few years old, It's not going to become a thriving, popular enterprise overnight.  People always need to understand that these things require years to build.

As for a Caribbean pro league, what teams in the Caribbean can afford to regularly pay their players?  What club teams in somewhere like Antigua or St. Vincent can afford to maintain a professonal club?  How much money in the form of gate receipts are they going to pull in? 

Let the other teams in the Caribbean take care of their own programmes.  What T&T needs is better aminstration, well educated coaches at all levels, and well developed clubs with youth teams at all levels.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 02:54:16 PM »
I know it was attempted but the implementation and timining may have been prohibitive but it does not mean that we should not revisit it. If we could generate local support, domestic  development and regional rivalries, this may generate some fan base and regional interets.

All of that was tried. The clubs were sponsored and games were sometimes on television. Things might be marginally better now that the Pro League is establishing a model for a local pro league, but the cost of transport between the islands hasn't changed and if anything players salaries are higher, especially if we are trying the keep th ebest players away from the MLS and England.

What T&T needs is better aminstration, well educated coaches at all levels, and well developed clubs with youth teams at all levels.

You are right but the key ingredient is missing. The same thing that Alberta mentioned "If we could generate local support...".

The general population is just not interested in investing time and money into football. These clubs that make money off of football across the globe have people who have a vested interest in the fortunes of the team. So much so that they spend money on games, memorabilia, replica kit etc.

We just don't have that in Trinidad. If you want to have the stadium full throw a fete after the match it sure to full. Tell people it having party and every man there, but say watch football and support for football sake? Forget that, man have no time. As a people we like football, it nice, plenty fun when we winning but we don't love football and so it will always be an uphill struggle.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 03:07:27 PM »
No this is critical to the emergence of football and  commercial enterprise. If sponsors like Carib could sponsor a team, think of the merchandise and memorabilia that could be generated?

I think we ought to explore the marketing opportunities. In thos e bigger counties. The marketing and professional  sports is a business!!!!! I am not sure if we have gotten to that level of blending  our professional teams to the same degree.

Given the scales of economies, some  ideas may not readily translate but on the other hand, what is making it a barrier?

Offline rocwell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 03:19:19 PM »

All of that was tried. The clubs were sponsored and games were sometimes on television. Things might be marginally better now that the Pro League is establishing a model for a local pro league, but the cost of transport between the islands hasn't changed and if anything players salaries are higher, especially if we are trying the keep th ebest players away from the MLS and England.

What T&T needs is better aminstration, well educated coaches at all levels, and well developed clubs with youth teams at all levels.

You are right but the key ingredient is missing. The same thing that Alberta mentioned "If we could generate local support...".

The general population is just not interested in investing time and money into football. These clubs that make money off of football across the globe have people who have a vested interest in the fortunes of the team. So much so that they spend money on games, memorabilia, replica kit etc.

We just don't have that in Trinidad. If you want to have the stadium full throw a fete after the match it sure to full. Tell people it having party and every man there, but say watch football and support for football sake? Forget that, man have no time. As a people we like football, it nice, plenty fun when we winning but we don't love football and so it will always be an uphill struggle.

A case of the chicken and egg maybe?  But I think you can't get local support in droves for a new league, that will take time.  The USA's MLS began the similarly, very poor quality play, little attendance, operating at a loss, but now they are seeing a slightly less poor quality matches, and a few teams have their own football-specific stadiums. 

If the TTFF sticks with it people will show up, it will take years and so I understand the frustration some on here feel, but when these teams show that they're serious, people and business will get behind the team.  I really don't expect much private sector support as they probably don't see any chance for them to get a return on their invenstment.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
CONCACAF ALL TIME WINNERS
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 04:16:42 PM »
CONCACAF champions all time winners

All this talk about coaching and professionalism makes me wonder how true is it? Take a look at 1985 results; who won? little island like we. ummmmmm... what was it about the coaching back then? I wonder

CONCACAF Champions Cup All-Time Winners
Year – Winners
1962 – Guadalajara (MEX)
1963 – Racing (HAI)
1967 – Alianza (SLV)
1968 – Toluca (MEX)
1969 – Cruz Azul (MEX)
1970 – Cruz Azul (MEX)
1971 – Cruz Azul (MEX)
1972 – Olimpia (HON)
1973 – Transvaal (SUR)
1974 – Municipal (GUA)
1975 – Atlético Español (MEX)
1976 – CD Aguila (SLV)
1977 – Club América (MEX)
1978 – Universidad de Guadalajara (MEX), CSD Comunicaciones (GUA), Defence Force (TRI)
1979 – Deportivo FAS (SLV)
1980 – UNAM (MEX)
1981 – Transvaal (SUR)
1982 – UNAM (MEX)
1983 – Altante (MEX)
1984 – Violette (HAI)
1985 – Defence Force (TRINIDAD)
1986 – LD Alajuelense (CRC)
1987 – Club América (MEX)
1988 – CD Olimpia (HON)
1989 – UNAM (MEX)
1990 – Club América (MEX)
1991 – Puebla (MEX)
1992 – Club América (MEX)
1993 – Deportivo Saprissa (CRC)
1994 – CS Cartaginés (CRC)
1995 – Deportivo Saprissa (CRC)
1996 – Cruz Azul (MEX)
1997 – Cruz Azul (MEX)
1998 – D.C. United (USA)
1999 – Necaxa (MEX)
2000 – Los Angeles Galaxy (USA)
2002 – CF Pachuca (MEX)
2003 – CD Toluca (MEX)
2004 - LD Alajuelense (CRC)

Alberta Trini

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline rocwell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 05:34:29 PM »
CONCACAF champions all time winners

All this talk about coaching and professionalism makes me wonder how true is it? Take a look at 1985 results; who won? little island like we. ummmmmm... what was it about the coaching back then? I wonder

I don't quite understand what you're trying to get at.  Defence force were CONCACAF Club Champions twice (once which they were the co-champs).  Something which no T&T team has done in 20 years and you use this as proof of what?

If one were to come to a conclusion after viewing your list it's that Mexico has the best club teams in the region.  They've done it 21 times and 5 out of the last 10 years. 

So keep on thinking that T&T is OK as we are, with your mentality we'd remain stagnant and Antigua, St. Kitts and the like will improve and leave us behind (just like the US has in the last 15 years).

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
rocwell
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 06:20:53 PM »
 Wow Breds!!!!! I am just saying that given the past success we have had, there must have been some things our local coaches were doing right. Obviously with our lack of recent success, we have not maintained alevel of growth or our development has been stilted while other regional nations have caught up to our play.

Offline rocwell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2005, 06:41:03 PM »
Wow Breds!!!!! I am just saying that given the past success we have had, there must have been some things our local coaches were doing right. Obviously with our lack of recent success, we have not maintained alevel of growth or our development has been stilted while other regional nations have caught up to our play.

recent success? 
One swallow does not make spring, nor does one fine day
-Aristotle

I see what you're trying to get at, but I just wish that Trinidadians would stop imagining that that we were some sort of powerhouse, and begin to put things in place so that we can actually do something meaningful.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2005, 08:36:53 AM »
Rocwell I do not understand what you are saying about the TTFF running leagues.
To my knowledge the Federation of no country runs their league.
The Bundesliga is not run by the German Federation nor is the Premier run by the English FA.
As a matter of fact correct me if I am wrong but the Pro League in Trinidad is not run by the TTFF.
Was it not W Connection who did not release players for National Team duty. Its just a matter off working out a proper schedule. The Federation may run the FA Cup as an example.

I agree on the administration part but the other aspects like properly trained coaches etc are a result of a proper run league with fans etc. After all properly educated coaches who act in a professional manner is a result of the environment. It is their livelyhood! Right now I do not know where the money is coming from to pay the so called pros in the League, because no one is watching the games.
Even college football is suffering from a lack of crowds. The pro league is how old now 5-6 years and I for one am always amused when they call it Professional. It is only professional because a couple of players are being paid. Now mind you some clubs are dam well run and I will call that a professional outfit, but to call the league is professional league is misguiding.
Back in 2003 I went to a couple of games one was an FA cup and it did not have 300 people. The other was a type of North vs South (Pro league) game that too did not have 300 people.

Football in T&T must find a way to bring people back to the game, consider this in the old days man could not stay at home and watch the best in the business every night, so the competition for the entertainment $$ real high.

Lets look for ways how we can achieve an objective, not place the stumbling blocks in our path before we even get started.

You say the business sector will only spend money if there is a return. Correct. In other countries $$$ spent in sport are tax deductable and falls under advertising. This could be the Governments contribution. This is just one example.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline rocwell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2005, 10:02:29 AM »
Rocwell I do not understand what you are saying about the TTFF running leagues.
To my knowledge the Federation of no country runs their league.
The Bundesliga is not run by the German Federation nor is the Premier run by the English FA.
As a matter of fact correct me if I am wrong but the Pro League in Trinidad is not run by the TTFF.
Was it not W Connection who did not release players for National Team duty. Its just a matter off working out a proper schedule. The Federation may run the FA Cup as an example.

I agree on the administration part but the other aspects like properly trained coaches etc are a result of a proper run league with fans etc. After all properly educated coaches who act in a professional manner is a result of the environment. It is their livelyhood! Right now I do not know where the money is coming from to pay the so called pros in the League, because no one is watching the games.
Even college football is suffering from a lack of crowds. The pro league is how old now 5-6 years and I for one am always amused when they call it Professional. It is only professional because a couple of players are being paid. Now mind you some clubs are dam well run and I will call that a professional outfit, but to call the league is professional league is misguiding.
Back in 2003 I went to a couple of games one was an FA cup and it did not have 300 people. The other was a type of North vs South (Pro league) game that too did not have 300 people.

Football in T&T must find a way to bring people back to the game, consider this in the old days man could not stay at home and watch the best in the business every night, so the competition for the entertainment $$ real high.

Lets look for ways how we can achieve an objective, not place the stumbling blocks in our path before we even get started.

You say the business sector will only spend money if there is a return. Correct. In other countries $$$ spent in sport are tax deductable and falls under advertising. This could be the Governments contribution. This is just one example.

Well said and fair enough

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2005, 10:47:08 AM »
What about these ideas?

1n 1989 I watched a political debate in Brazil where on of the candidates presented many projects. The opponent asked the candidate how he planned on getting the money for the projects since he was poor. The answer was intelligent and came quickly, "the financial resources are not in the pocket of the one who manages, but in his mind." Creativity, transparency, well-developed plans, and realistic information between money spent and money that comes in, make the manager a winner.

Some ideas

1 Partnership with companies offering exclusive publicity.
2 Pre-sold annual tickets for games that will take place in Jamaica Football Federation
3 Partnership with the orange bowl in Miami, RFK in Washington, QPR in London and Varsity on Toronto for the use in tournaments and games.
4 Early sale of TV rights for friendly games to an international TV station.
5 Stores for the commercialisation of all products with the name of Reggae Boyz.

Project Development for more players:

It is obvious that in this case there is a human aspect, but we can compare the formation of a player with the production of a car. There are steps that must be respected otherwise the line of production will stop. Imagine putting the body of the car without first putting the seats, it would get complicated. Also, we cannot forget those things that are extremely necessary. Have you ever thought of a car with cassette player, AC, bit no engine. The football player is the same, we must look at the things that he cannot do without, his physical and mental structure, as well as fundements(fundamentals) before those things that are merely show off.

Project BMF (mind, feet, body) - these athletes between 15 and 18 years old will stay in a house where they will live and receive assistance:

Social -- A social assistance will gather their family histories. School
will be provided close to the housing facility. The social assistant will
arrange for regular visits with the family.

Clinical -- A report on their medical history will be made. Every six months there will be examined for urine, faeces, eyes, ears, and others.

Cardio -- Annual electrocardiograms, Family history will be examined.

Orthopedics -- Treatment to prevent problems. Measurement of bone structure.

Nutrition -- Family history will be examined. Balanced diet according to the training  phase, vitamin supplements. Measurement of body fat.

Dental -- Regular exams, hygiene orientation.

Psychology -- Family history will be examined. Counseling, vocational tests.

Religion -- Participation in a church close to the housing facility (type to be chosen by
the athlete) regular counseling sessions with Rev. Al Miller.

Rescueof -- Notion of duties and rights, legal help for families, orientation about work
Citizenship laws.

In this project there are all the necessary steps for the formation of a proper medical department, one which will be able to provide its services to all the athletes. The MBF will have the following divisions which will work together: Reception and diagnostics, general clinic, cardiology, orthopedics, physiology labs, sports nutrition, psychology, religious, legal.

This housing facility can be called "the workshop of men". This name is appropriate because the attention will be given to the human being in general, the player will be a consequence of a well guided man.

By the way (I): "Not even democracy or market economy have spread so widely around the continents as has football". This statement is from Pascall Bonifarik, one of the 30 thinking minds that were united by the magazine Maniere De Vo sponsored by "Le monde diplomatique". Another wonderful statement came from Gerard Ernault, chief editor if the France Football. He said, "football is the most simple, tolerant, flowing, democratic, and improbable sport." The greatest minds increase our desire to see a strong and passionate football in Jamaica, as in the rest of the world.

5. How and when to introduce the professional league:

We must set goals to be met by clubs so that they may participate of the first professional league in 2000-2001.

Goals.

98-99
1. Creation of an U-20
2. Fields with fences around them
3. Locker rooms for home and visitor teams

99-2000
1. Creation of an U-20
2. Seats for 5,000 spectators
3. One training field
4. Playing field in perfect condition

2000-01
1. All players must have contracts with their teams
2. All staff working under contracts: Coach. Assistant coach, physical trainer, doctor, masseur and goalkeeper's coach.

By the way (II):
Football is a passion of the planet, the most universal entertainment, the sport of the crowds, or a complete social fact. A research by "The Economist" revealed that the biggest reason for pride among English youngsters is not the great conquest of the British Empire, but football."

5. Formation, professionalisation and improvement of staff members:

The greatest difficulty that I have found in this is the lack of understanding many people have about professional football. There is confusion between profession and hobby, competence and love, training and scrimmage. The football professionals are like any other. Just because I like medicine and have been to hospitals, does not mean that I can decide from one day to the next that I will start to prescribe medication. This requires knowledge, talent, availability and love. A profession and life often become one, bringing happiness to the individual.

Well Prof.Simoes, I am quick to admit that my knowledge of football is at the hobby

level (therefore when I see amatuer football, I can indentify it easily) maybe some day

I can put myself up to the professional level. I am the eternal learner.

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2005, 11:42:15 AM »
Caribbean Football league will not work because of traveling back and forth to play games is costly for the teams with very little fan support this league wouldn’t last a season they already tried it in the early 90’s we have to develop our own Pro and allow the best players from the other islands to earn a living and boast the game in T&T. if the league is a local the standard will remain the same but if we have foreign influx not a whole lot but some well benefit. And maybe one day get a TV contact to broadcast Pro league game to other Caribbean islands, just think about if we have the best Caribbean player just maybe there country mite want to see them play.         
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline babbaboy

• New Warrior
  • de babba rule things !!!!
    • View Profile
Caribbean League!!!!
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2005, 11:39:49 AM »
I think this is the way forward for football in the region. I think that the islands are to small in population to suppot their own league and having a regional league would be better for football. I was supprised to know what professional player are making in jamaica ..practically nothing many players have second jobs. So i think havin a 15 team league spread throughout the caribbean including Cuba and Martinique and Haiti could only improve football in the region. 1) Quality of players because the best players from these islands would be on these teams.2)  Players would make better living.3) Crowd support would improve drastically. etc Actually i only see the up sides ...we need fresh ideas at the helm ...What you guys think ....laterzzzzzzzzz         

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Caribbean League!!!!
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2005, 11:43:13 AM »

Offline babbaboy

• New Warrior
  • de babba rule things !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2005, 11:53:05 AM »
thanks alberta ..i missed that one !!!

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2005, 12:22:05 PM »
They had this when I was growing up, Alcons used to play in the league, the stadium was empty.

I do not think our football needs to get bigger, it needs to get smaller.

Grassroots level.

Organize a Down the hill verus up the hill fete match and get the entire community to come and support.

we need to build support at a grass roots level.

let me have a vested interest in the team.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2005, 12:44:13 PM »
They had this when I was growing up, Alcons used to play in the league, the stadium was empty.

Grassroots level.

Organize a Down the hill verus up the hill fete match and get the entire community to come and support.

That is Kicks yes ;D ;D
It had meh laughin.

That thing go work for youth teams, BUT in this world of football you have to have ah TOP LEAGUE. Full Stop

The PFL is the right approach. You have to have a league where the best players play against the best constantly.

What is needed is more incentive to play. The teams presently do not face demotion, the Super League teams don't get promoted. And when you win them what?

Something good would be just like ah Caribbean League but in the format of a Champions League. Where the top 4 from T&T, Top 4 from Jamaica, Maybe get Cuba contributing some teams and then the small islands with one team a piece.

Then have Group games and then Knockout.

Get sponsors from across the Caribbean and North America. And TV rights.]

Our PFL teams don't have a long enough season and there isn't enough incentives.

But keep the Local Leagues so there is more to incentive. Then

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2005, 03:29:53 PM »
I think this is the way forward for football in the region. I think that the islands are to small in population to suppot their own league and having a regional league would be better for football. I was supprised to know what professional player are making in jamaica ..practically nothing many players have second jobs. So i think havin a 15 team league spread throughout the caribbean including Cuba and Martinique and Haiti could only improve football in the region. 1) Quality of players because the best players from these islands would be on these teams.2)  Players would make better living.3) Crowd support would improve drastically. etc Actually i only see the up sides ...we need fresh ideas at the helm ...What you guys think ....laterzzzzzzzzz         

onlya few clubs in Jamaica could be viewed as semi-professional at best. Even so, at these clubs, only the senior players are given perks like car and a decent salary. Most of the clubs are semi-pro....players do have second jobs. For a caribbean league to be viable, it has to be fully professional, each player has to be paid decent money. Also,factor in things such as airfare between theislands for game. Many teams in Ja can hardly afford to transport their tesam between parishes. Now youare talking about travelling 3 hrs from Jamaica to Trinidad for a game. thts nuff $$$$

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2005, 05:17:47 PM »

Something good would be just like ah Caribbean League but in the format of a Champions League. Where the top 4 from T&T, Top 4 from Jamaica, Maybe get Cuba contributing some teams and then the small islands with one team a piece.

Then have Group games and then Knockout.

Get sponsors from across the Caribbean and North America. And TV rights.]

Our PFL teams don't have a long enough season and there isn't enough incentives.

But keep the Local Leagues so there is more to incentive. Then

I like that idea, even folks who may not go out to see two local sides play, with the right marketing and promotion will go out to see W Connection play a side from J'ca, dat could work.  And if you get Digicel, and KFC, and BWIA and Air Jamaica and the likes of them behind it there will be more money to be made and paid.  Heck winning that cup might be the only chance some of the teams have to make some money so it will be competitive, and it will instill national and regional pride.

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2005, 05:32:41 PM »

Grassroots level.

well said.
Hart for president

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2005, 12:11:58 PM »
How about making it a Caribbean community league. Increase the talent. Then we can truly get behind them.
CLubs with free transfer of players between territories.

Maybe 3 from Trinidad, 3 from Jamaica etc...
Not a small Busta cup like how they have with cricket. Make it a real professional league.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 01:33:36 PM by Tallman »
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2005, 12:13:40 PM »
too much travelling.other countries cant afford it
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 01:33:45 PM by Tallman »
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2005, 12:23:14 PM »
They tried a Caribbean league before it didn’t work the PRO League is setting a example to how a PRO League should be ran by having the team show they have money to play the players for the year is very important but most team can’t afford to pay players that why teams like Rangers can’t take part that just mean you have to get a big sponsor to finance the team or come up with a good marketing plan to get the money to support the team. DON’T WORRY IF T&T qualify all football will benefit in the country just watch and you will see 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 01:33:54 PM by Tallman »
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2005, 12:24:31 PM »
yeh but a proper caribbean champions league would be good even if u had it like at the end of the season to save on the travel. hold a group in trinidad,jamaica,barbados,cuba 16 teams. save on the traveling. winner goes to concacaf. would be nice  :beermug:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 01:34:04 PM by Tallman »

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2005, 02:03:26 PM »
The major problem of the last league funny enough was TRAVEL.The travelling between islands is a disaster.Teams were always arriving late for games or having flights cancel.The cost was extremely high.I remember going to a game in the stadium with Caledonia playing a Guyanese team and the game was delayed an hour because the team had just arrived.Men had to leave Piarco and go straight to the stadium to play game.This obviously led to lack of crowd support and the wole domino effect. 

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2005, 04:11:05 PM »
Marketing is another big factor.
Look how many ppl came out to watch the last tnt mex game.
With reasonable prices, and a good marketing strategy we could draw the crowds. Particularly in smaller islands where the night life eh so happenin, a football lime could get big crowds
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

1]; } ?>