April 25, 2024, 06:22:57 AM

Author Topic: Was this the greatest football game ever ?  (Read 8565 times)

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Was this the greatest football game ever ?
« on: March 27, 2007, 05:51:06 PM »
Anytime this topic comes up there are as many answers as there are people but thanks to u Tube we can see again what for many of us was the greatest game of football ever....

The world champions were meeting the former world champions ...

The best player in the world, for many the best player ever, against the best defender in the world...

The best winger, probably in history, against the world's best goalkeeper, then and now ....

The best dribbler against one of the finest midfielders in the history of football....

The best after the game expression of a contest well fought ...the embrace of two of the world's greatest players ...

The greatest save in football ....

I guess you just have to watch this ..... and wonder what has happened to the beautiful game ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPIzi_KfOmI

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Was this the greatest football game ever ?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 06:25:04 PM »
nice watch. Thanks.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 06:36:04 PM »
nice watch. Thanks.

I dont know about you but i just watced it twice again.....

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 07:16:55 PM »
Brazil v France 1986. best WC game ever

Offline black chinee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 07:21:10 PM »
was real nice watch man.... i think u may be on to something there!!!!  :beermug: :beermug:

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 07:24:21 PM »
Several to choose from, but the one that really sticks out due to the ramblings after.. have to be Arg vs England Mexico WC.

Emotionally.. Swe vs TnT, not everyday you live one of your dreams  ;D

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 07:43:31 PM »
Was this the greatest football game ever?

No.  Not even close.

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 07:47:20 PM »
Brazil v France 1986. best WC game ever

must agree with yuh, also add france vs germany 82

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 07:48:40 PM »
Anytime this topic comes up there are as many answers as there are people but thanks to u Tube we can see again what for many of us was the greatest game of football ever....

The best player in the world, for many the best player ever, against the best defender in the world...

The best winger, probably in history, against the world's best goalkeeper, then and now ....

The best dribbler against one of the finest midfielders in the history of football....

The best after the game expression of a contest well fought ...the embrace of two of the world's greatest players ...

I guess you just have to watch this ..... and wonder what has happened to the beautiful game ?

Hey Jai also i remember a game where upstarts drop 5 on tringrove, now that was a game   ;)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 07:55:45 PM »
Several to choose from, but the one that really sticks out due to the ramblings after.. have to be Arg vs England Mexico WC.

Emotionally.. Swe vs TnT, not everyday you live one of your dreams  ;D

best game of my life nothin can replace tht day :beermug:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 09:08:53 PM »
That England Brazil is regarded as a classic as it was they were regarded as the two best teams in the world at the time.....when I watch those highlights I marvel at how slow the game was back then....

3 most exciting games I've seen off the top of my head

Romania 3 Argentina 2 (World Cup 1994)- titanic affair
Trinidad 2 Guatemala 1 ( WC '90 quals)- one of the most thrilling T&T matches ever IMO
Barca 3 Valencia 2 (la liga season '01 ??) Rivaldo hattrick topped off with a last minute bicycle
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 09:43:53 PM »
No it wasnt. best save ever though.

kicer ah agree with u bout d slow nature of d games........imagine and man walking form the middle third into the attacking third( literally walking) without ah man wanting to exchange t-shirts
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 09:48:03 PM »
Manchester United vs Bayer 1999
Arsenal vs Man U semifinals of FA cup 1999
Man U vs Liverpool 1995.

St Benedicts vs St Anthonys 1995 ;D

For me World Cup Games

Brazil vs Italy 1970
Brazil vs Sweden 1958
Brazil vs Holland 1994
Germany vs Hungary 1948

TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO vs Sweden

"Alexanderson, to Larson, Edwards is in the way...... It's ended nil, nil,  What a heroic effort from the 10 men of Trinidad and Tobago, Dortmund will be dancing to the sound of Soca music tonight..."

You cayr beat that boy if yuh is ah trini!  :beermug:

Offline kiffysmooth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 09:57:39 PM »
Trinidad and Tobago vs Mexico....World Cup Qualifier

TnT 2    Mexico 1

Stern John double.........2006 qualifiers

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 03:36:44 AM »
must agree with yuh, also add france vs germany 82

THAT's the one!  :beermug:

Offline Papasmurf

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://footballawayoflife.blogspot.com/
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 05:41:56 AM »
That Moore fellah in england defense can real play dread...I have never heard about him, but it look like he had Pele on lock. Can anyone tell me if he was one of England greats? OR was he ignored cuz he played with sir bobby.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 05:57:14 AM »
That Moore fellah in england defense can real play dread...I have never heard about him, but it look like he had Pele on lock. Can anyone tell me if he was one of England greats? OR was he ignored cuz he played with sir bobby.

not only is he one of Englandīs greats he is regarded as one of the worldīs greats.... and for those who disagree with the claim about this game ...I am still awaiting the reasons ....
I gave stats...to show that the worldīs best were involved in that game...on both sides, I dont have to repeat them ....look at the reaction of the players after the game. The brazil team of 1970 was rated as the best ever team....... did I mention that ?....they were strong in all areas...and England could have won the game !
So  I await those who, emotion and hatred for jaiīs original and well supported argument aside, to  state their reasons for their choice..
Of course no one can claim to be right ...its like Ali vs ray robinson ..but it certainly keeps the game as a specacle alive ...wouldnīt you say ?
look agin at jaizinho vs Moore, pele vs moore , tostao vs Moore, banks vs Pele, Felix vs Charton..
For those who felt the game was slow ..it was ,,but if you felt that you could just run een to any of those players on the pitch you had to be crazy..jaizibho in full flight was as fast as anybody today ..paolo Cezar on the other wing ...ditto...and of course Pele ...yeah he loked real slow ...but didnīt Ali look slow against foreman ..that is until he began to unleash those rapid punches that Foreman could not withstand..
this brazil team won the WC in 1970 and one only has to look at Brazilīs desrtuction of Italy in the final ...slow??? same team ... yeah right !

many of those players on the pitch would be on a world best ever 11 and that includes players of today... Wouldnt you agree ?

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 06:02:02 AM »

Hey Jai also i remember a game where upstarts drop 5 on tringrove, now that was a game   ;)

ha ha ha I think you had too much popcorn ...
I dont remember that ...... I remember Eddie running down the sidelines saying ...break he foot break he foot ...and chet just skipping past all dem tong fellas Eddie used to bring up when he facing tringrove... Keith aqui, michael Wile and all buggy haynes pardners etc , just about eveyone who was available could make an upstarts team when they had to meet Tringrove...I know beacause i was left out for Upstarts for one of those grudge games ...for a national player who none of us had ever seen .... 

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 07:40:44 AM »

not only is he one of Englandīs greats he is regarded as one of the worldīs greats.... and for those who disagree with the claim about this game ...I am still awaiting the reasons ....
I gave stats...to show that the worldīs best were involved in that game...on both sides, I dont have to repeat them ....look at the reaction of the players after the game. The brazil team of 1970 was rated as the best ever team....... did I mention that ?....they were strong in all areas...and England could have won the game !
So  I await those who, emotion and hatred for jaiīs original and well supported argument aside, to  state their reasons for their choice..
Of course no one can claim to be right ...its like Ali vs ray robinson ..but it certainly keeps the game as a specacle alive ...wouldnīt you say ?
look agin at jaizinho vs Moore, pele vs moore , tostao vs Moore, banks vs Pele, Felix vs Charton..
For those who felt the game was slow ..it was ,,but if you felt that you could just run een to any of those players on the pitch you had to be crazy..jaizibho in full flight was as fast as anybody today ..paolo Cezar on the other wing ...ditto...and of course Pele ...yeah he loked real slow ...but didnīt Ali look slow against foreman ..that is until he began to unleash those rapid punches that Foreman could not withstand..
this brazil team won the WC in 1970 and one only has to look at Brazilīs desrtuction of Italy in the final ...slow??? same team ... yeah right !

many of those players on the pitch would be on a world best ever 11 and that includes players of today... Wouldnt you agree ?

get off the soap box. There is no hatred for Jai's argument. I think most if not all would agree that that was one of the all-time classics in WC football.

Yes the pace of the game was slower back then than it is now. That's pretty much a fact. I made the observation, and it was not meant to discredit the game - just an observation. Disagree with it only if yuh looking for an argument...because it's the truth.

The "best game" is a matter of opinion- very subjective. And all the reasons you state don't necessarily make a game good. They are definitely ingredients for a great contest though.

I have never seen the entire 90 mins of Brazil v Eng of '70, but based on the extended highlights that I've seen many times, I want to believe that I would not have enjoyed that game as much as some other games that I've seen. (and I'm a huge fan of Brazil.....and I like to see England lose). so go figure.....

You'll probably want to fight down this post because you're stubborn and no one is allowed to disagree with you.......Save it. It's just an opinion.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2007, 07:49:10 AM »

ha ha ha I think you had too much popcorn ...
I dont remember that ...... I remember Eddie running down the sidelines saying ...break he foot break he foot ...and chet just skipping past all dem tong fellas Eddie used to bring up when he facing tringrove... Keith aqui, michael Wile and all buggy haynes pardners etc , just about eveyone who was available could make an upstarts team when they had to meet Tringrove...I know beacause i was left out for Upstarts for one of those grudge games ...for a national player who none of us had ever seen .... 

chet was baaad, Yeah that brazil team was deadly, 1 time was it rivelinho?? drop a step over on a italian priceless,  leave him for dead. twist the man up strech he liver esophagus everything.

For me sticking with france v germany 82 , france trying to get over the hump vs the experienced germans who been dominating europe
 drama with Schumacher(crazy how he wasn't sent off) referee was a criminal

extra time, penalties 1st time i see pks in a WC(granted was meh 2nd WC but still),
france down a goal then take it to next level went up 3-1 and blow it.

best ever midfield group(platini, tigana, fernandes), the best midfielder of all time (platini was for me the best ever at the position) he still best ever
FRANCE- after the boss midfield trio add bossis, Battiston, amoros, giress, rocheteau
GERMANY- solid all across the park and physical with skill added  litbarski, Karl Heinze,they mess up and did not pick schuster,  breitner magath add big big roving defenders- briegel, Forster.
Schumacher in goal flexing and denying everything, mathaeus was on the bench
biggest reason of all is cause ah saw it live on tv, i didn't see  1970 live real time.

Still can't beat a classic upstarts cuttail over tringrove, so many i can recall Jai.  :beermug:

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2007, 08:20:34 AM »

Yeah that brazil team was deadly, 1 time was it rivelinho?? drop a step over on a italian priceless,  leave him for dead. twist the man up strech he liver esophagus everything.

yeah the step over was by Clodoaldo....before he passed to Rivelino. Shake me and all.....

check the build up to the last goal...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBeXHYvDsHQ

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2007, 08:28:45 AM »

yeah the step over was by Clodoaldo....before he passed to Rivelino. Shake me and all.....

check the build up to the last goal...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBeXHYvDsHQ

thanks kicker, that 1 make me bawl everytime, like the defender's reaction, the back foot poking out real kicksy.
To Clodoaldo :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2007, 08:58:12 AM »
Jai John it sounds like your opinion of this game is based a lot on circumstances off the field.

Ppl who saw that game in person or live would be affected more by those factors.
For ppl who weren't around to experience it, they would feel many different ways about those factors.

If you saying that that game had the best football in it, I disagree, there was some poor marking, defenders sellin theyself cheap cheap, some of the Brasilian dribbles were lucky, bouncing favourably off the English.

Just because great players are in a game doesn't mean the game is great. 
Did all those best players put down their best performances ever in this game?
If we talkin about the actual gamplay, then all those best this, best that "stats" that you wrote don't mean anything.
e.g. Spurs vs West Ham was one of the best EPL games this season, and West Ham is real shit this year.

If you sayin that it was biggest matchup ever then yeh you might have a point.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2007, 09:45:00 AM »
I not so old.These are the games that come to mind:

Sweden v Brazil 1994
Spain v Nigeria 1998
T&T v JA 1998
Barca v ManU 1998
ManU v Arsenal 1999 (FA Cup replay)
Barca v Chelsea 1999/00 UEFA Champions League
T&T v Mexico 2000
Barca v Madrid 2003 (We lost the game but it was very entertaining)
T&T v Mexico 2005
Brazil v Argentina 2006 Friendly game in Arsenal Stadium (Absolutley the best game of 2006)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2007, 09:46:32 AM »
Good Morning Ball Jumbies,

TT 4 v Mex. 0  Haiti,1973
TT 0 v Sweden 0 Germany

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2007, 10:23:45 AM »
I really cyah see how, with all the volumes and volumes of football that man could come up with in the overall archives of football and peoples memory, that we could come up with any "one" game.  I expect the opinions on this thread are going to be as diverse and as hotly debated as "choosing the best team or player, ever", but here are some games that stand out in my mind (sorry, but no Brazil loss  :'( could ever stand out as a "best game" in my mind, so "Brazil - France '86 is OUT!!)  :devil: .......

World Cup:
Germany - France '82
Brazil - Italy '70
Germany - Holland '74
Argentina - Holland '78
Brazil - Holland '98
Brazil - U.S.S.R '82
Spain - Nigeria '98
Argentina - Italy '90
Brazil - Argentina '82 (I have been trying hard to get this game on video/dvd/whatever
Anybody have it?)

Champions' League:
Manu: 3 - 3 Barcelona (sometime in the '90's)
Real Madrid - Dynamo Kiev (again, sometime in the '90's, when both teams were BOMB SKWADS: I have it on tape somewhre buried among my hundreds of football video tapes)
Ajax - AC Milan '95
Any of the recent Chelsea - Barcelona matchups......without the off-field drama

English FA Cup:
Tottenham - Man. City 1981
Arsenal - Manu 1979
Arsenal - Manu 1998......Daize IT!

Honourable mention:
Olympic Gold medal game, 1996: Argentina - Nigeria (read my disclaimer as to why the Nigeria - Brazil game will NOT be included)

More honourable mention:
Any of the Brazil games in the Under-19 World Cup, Australia '93.....VERY entertaining football if anybody can get their hands on them.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2007, 10:26:37 AM »
I not so old.These are the games that come to mind:

Sweden v Brazil 1994
Spain v Nigeria 1998
T&T v JA 1998
Barca v ManU 1998
ManU v Arsenal 1999 (FA Cup replay)
Barca v Chelsea 1999/00 UEFA Champions League
T&T v Mexico 2000
Barca v Madrid 2003 (We lost the game but it was very entertaining)
T&T v Mexico 2005
Brazil v Argentina 2006 Friendly game in Arsenal Stadium (Absolutley the best game of 2006)

Yuh definitely eh lie about DAT!!  Brazil must have come out with a seeeeeeerious vengance after losing out in the WC.

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2007, 10:39:57 AM »
How I ehn see nobody mention Brazil-Italy from 82? That was also up there with the France-germany of the same year.

Brazil-Holland of 94 was great as was Holland-Argentina of 98 in recent times.

As for TT games, our 3-2 come from behand against Guatemala in 2005 is the best I have ever seen, and Thank God I got to see it in person.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline banton

• Hero Warrior
  • football in meh veins football in meh blood
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeWOxnWoXKI
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2007, 10:41:09 AM »
t&T and guatemala world cup 2006 qualifiers
football in meh veins football in meh blood

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2007, 10:58:04 AM »
How I ehn see nobody mention Brazil-Italy from 82? That was also up there with the France-germany of the same year. England-Cameroon of 1990 was a good one too.

Brazil-Holland of 94 was great as was Holland-Argentina of 98 in recent times.

As for TT games, our 3-2 come from behand against Guatemala in 2005 is the best I have ever seen, and Thank God I got to see it in person.

Please don't talk about that.......I made it my buiness not to mention that
.......... game.......my therapist woul have been happy with my progress to this point....otherwise, thanks for the "Brazil - Holland '94" reminder: real nice game!  Iwill never forget how Branco was shakin' people hand (referee and Dutch players and all) when he got substituted and was coming off the field.  :rotfl:   

1]; } ?>