April 24, 2024, 06:26:59 PM

Author Topic: Calypso kings can lift Brighton  (Read 1653 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Calypso kings can lift Brighton
« on: July 23, 2005, 11:27:55 AM »
Sancho and Jack on wrong end of 5-2 drubbing
By Paul Camillin (Brighton & Hove Albion FC)

In their first pre-season friendly against League opposition, Albion slumped to a 5-2 defeat at the hands of Colchester United at Layer Road this afternoon.

After going behind to an early penalty, Albion had lead 2-1, but four goals from Colchester in the last half an hour left Mark McGhee disappointed on the final whistle.

He told seagulls.co.uk, "We started coasting [at 2-1] and stopped doing things from a shape point of view - starting with the strikers who weren't doing their defensive jobs well enough.

"In the second half we didn't have anything like the work ethic we had in the first and we went into a lower gear and were punished for it."

McGhee refused to use pre-season fatigue as an excuse, adding, "We were here to play 90 minutes. The players are fit and they've not been overstretched this week.

"I don't think they were tired, but I think mentally they thought it was going to be easier when they went ahead."

The afternoon started badly for McGhee's men. Former Seagull Chris Iwelumo won Colchester a penalty just three minutes into his home debut.

The striker, who returned to England this summer from German side Aachen on a free transfer, was brought down by his former Albion team-mate Guy Butters and the dreadlocked Iwelumo then dusted himself off to fire the spot-kick home past Albion's trialist keeper Kelvin Jack.

Despite the sluggish start, Albion looked to have seized control of the game as Leon Knight and Colin Kazim-Richards headed goals either side of half-time.

Knight's looping header on 24 minutes was his third goal in a week; and like both his goals at Bognor on Wednesday, it was again created by Charlie Oatway.

Oatway's midfield partner Richard Carpenter created Albion's second two minutes into the second half, putting in a superb cross which Kazim-Richard bravely headed home to put Albion 2-1 to the good.

Carpenter and Oaway weren't the only Albion players providing quality balls to Albion's attacking players. Albert Jarrett - challenged by McGhee to prove himself in pre-season - was the major bright spot of the afternoon.

He gave his best performance of the pre-season campaign as  he teased and tormented on the left wing, and McGhee said, "I thought Albert Jarrett was excellent in the first half.

"He produced a lot of quality and dangerous balls which with a bit more sharper movement in the box we could have scored more goals from."

However, it was Colchester's left winger Dean Howe who stole the show late in the game. First he ended a jinking run with a well struck shot that crept past Jack into the bottom right corner on 65 minutes.

Then, seven minutes later, he was on hand to bundle the ball home from close range after Jack had parried an Iwelumo header. Substitute Jamie Guy made it four, before Gareth Williams added the fifth.

Albion: (4-4-2) Jack, Reid, Sancho (El-Abd), Butters, Dodd; Hart, Oatway, Carpenter (Nicolas), Jarrett (Hammond); Knight (McPhee), Kazim-Richards (Robinson). Subs not used: Elphick, Martin (GK), McCammon.

Calypso kings can lift Brighton
By Brian Owen (The Argus)

Albion have been told they have two gems on their hands thanks to a Caribbean contact.

The Seagulls give trial run outs to Trinidad and Tobago pair Brent Sancho and Kelvin Jack when they visit Colchester United for a friendly today (3pm).

The duo, who are each making a second trial appearance for the Seagulls, were team mates at Dundee last season and have been recommended by international colleague Shaka Hislop, the former Portsmouth and West Ham goalkeeper.

Hislop, who is currently training with Crystal Palace, said: "I know (Albion boss) Mark McGhee from when we were at Reading together.

"And I've worked with Brent and Kelvin for Trinidad and Tobago.

"They are well worth a look. Brent is a strong and imposing defender and I always felt Kelvin had the qualities of a very promising goalkeeper.

"Kelvin had a few niggling injuries in Scotland last year but he is good enough to do well in the English game, at Championship level at the very least.

"He has enjoyed his week at Brighton and would like to stay but I know the way Mark McGhee does his business and he keeps his cards close to his chest."

Sancho impressed in the Scottish Premier League last season and is now out of contract.

Jack has one year left on his deal at Dens Park but Dundee boss Jim Duffy is not understood to be seeking a fee as he attempts to reduce his wage bill following relegation from the top flight.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Calypso kings can lift Brighton
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 01:34:08 PM »
Then, seven minutes later, he was on hand to bundle the ball home from close range after Jack had parried an Iwelumo header. Substitute Jamie Guy made it four, before Gareth Williams added the fifth.

Jack still with this parrying business.  Steups.  When he go learn to hold a ball? 
Giving up five goals is not exactly the best way for Jack or Sancho to win a contract.

Offline Strip

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 01:55:08 PM »
The striker, who returned to England this summer from German side Aachen on a free transfer, was brought down by his former Albion team-mate Guy Butters and the dreadlocked Iwelumo then dusted himself off to fire the spot-kick home past Albion's trialist keeper Kelvin Jack.

it actually have somebody name guy buttersĀ   :D

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 02:03:10 PM »

Jack still with this parrying business.  Steups.  When he go learn to hold a ball? 
Giving up five goals is not exactly the best way for Jack or Sancho to win a contract.

We definitely need Imps and Shaka.  Although Jack has improved and he is a good shot blocker, we need a keeper who can HOLD the ball and not parry all the time.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 04:27:04 PM »
why allyu so boy.....you aint see the damn ting but yuh talking....suppose the man made a great parry....allyuh feel is fackin u-14 football we talking bout....which of course 98% percent of we on this forum play....our higest level......you never see great keepers parry and get punished.....cool it nah
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 09:11:20 AM »
I have seen great keepers parry and get punished but I have never seen any great keeper parry every single ball that comes their direction.  I didn't see this play but I've seen enough of Jack to give him a hard time about that aspect of his game.

1]; } ?>