May 01, 2024, 04:59:54 AM

Author Topic: Brazil - Goalkeeping Factory?  (Read 3850 times)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Brazil - Goalkeeping Factory?
« on: April 03, 2007, 10:53:19 AM »
Brazil still gets little respect for its goalies...but lately I've been noticing that Brazilian goalies are becoming increasingly popular in Europe. Remember when Taffarel became the first foreign goalie in Serie A? Well things have opened up since then. If you lok at the final 8 in the Champions League..there are 3 Brazilian goalies: Dida at AC Milan, Doni at Roma and Gomes at PSV. And Inter and Porto, who were close to squeezing through also have Brazilin goalies in Julio Cesar and Helton. So that means 5 of the final 16 and 3 of the final 8 top European teams have Brazilian goalies...not bad for a country that still isn't recosgnized for its shot stoppers
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 10:56:42 AM by Filho »

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Brazil - Goalkeeping Factory?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 11:10:02 AM »
The only reason they are on those sides is because the have EU passports.
if they counted as full foreign players they would not get picked.

brazil must have good goal keepers because with men like ronaldo and ronaldhino bussing bullet in your head whole day you cannot help but learn to save.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 11:16:38 AM »
Some would argue that critizicism of Brazil's goalkeeping was historically more a relative criticism than anything else, in the sense that their goalkeepers have always been outshone by their renowned attacking players. For as many world titles as Brazil has had, and as strong as they are traditionally known to be at the sport, they are arguably yet to produce a "legendary" goalkeeper.....and that is where I think the stigma of "weak" Brazilian keepers comes from more than anything else.

If you ask me, Argentinian national keepers are usually pretty weak, more so than Brazilian keepers.

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 11:43:35 AM »
I just posting cuz it is a Fatima thread.... yes fellas wha vibes?

I go agree with kicker tho... argentina goalies does be kinda jokey
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 11:49:51 AM »

When it comes to obtaining EU passports, I don't Brazil has any advantage over other Latin and North American and African countries, or New Zealand and Austalia for that matter. Even here in the caribbean, a lot of people have links to the EU. So this is not really relevant unless you are trying to say there would be more Asian and non-EU Europeans playing in their place.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 11:55:05 AM by Filho »

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 12:11:58 PM »

When it comes to obtaining EU passports, I don't Brazil has any advantage over other Latin and North American and African countries, or New Zealand and Austalia for that matter. Even here in the caribbean, a lot of people have links to the EU. So this is not really relevant unless you are trying to say there would be more Asian and non-EU Europeans playing in their place.

Not sure about Brazil, but Argentina does have an advantage - many Italians settled there after WWII.

Italy is the only EU country to my knowledge which gives out citizenship based on ancestry (further back than your parents). Which is why everyone claims to have an Italian grandmother - having a Spanish or English grandmother would get you nowhere.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 01:05:29 PM »
Dont forget other boss brazilian goalies like Marcos and Rogerio Ceni... It really seems Brazil has turned the corner with regard to its goalies cause prior to the last few years, they was real sour in that department (I dont care what anyone says Taffarel was suspect; a South American Barthez)

Before that I think Italy was the home for goalies, you would never see a foreign based goalie in Serie A. Remember just de other day when they had to choose from Pagliuca, Peruzzi, Toldo, Marchegiani, Abbiati, Rossi, young Buffon and Bucci???

Real flyers..

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 01:29:43 PM »

Do not attempt to approach KND with logic

His post is not relevant unless he's writing to someone who can't read, cannot comprehend english or unless it's a note to self.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 01:40:58 PM »
good Lord Kicker. I must be buss a Horn on your wife in a previous life,

Such personal attacks seem unwarranted and unprovoked

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 01:46:02 PM »
Dont forget other boss brazilian goalies like Marcos and Rogerio Ceni... It really seems Brazil has turned the corner with regard to its goalies cause prior to the last few years, they was real sour in that department (I dont care what anyone says Taffarel was suspect; a South American Barthez)

I agree, Taffarel was a liability. I dont know what men saw in him.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 01:57:34 PM »
good Lord Kicker. I must be buss a Horn on your wife in a previous life,

No your post was just off the mark- as are many of your others... ;D

Such personal attacks seem unwarranted and unprovoked

Very warranted in my opinion. Nah iz kix.  ;D No personal disrespect meant, just picong.....as always  :beermug:

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 02:27:53 PM »

I agree, Taffarel was a liability. I dont know what men saw in him.

True Taffarel wasn't a great keeper but comparing him to previous Brazilian keepers such as Carlos, Paulo Vitor, Ze Carlos and others, Taffarel was great.  However the present crop of Dida, Julio Cesar, Marcos, etc. are a lot better than him.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 03:04:17 PM »
Brazil had great goalkeepers even back in the day.

Have you heard of "Felix the Cat" :)

The main reason Brazil never had good goalkeepers is to be considered a good goal keeper you have to be making saves on the regular.

Side playing against brazil does barely cross half line far less to be hitting shots.

Less opportunities means less opportunities to shine and show your skills.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 03:14:12 PM »

The main reason Brazil never had good goalkeepers is to be considered a good goal keeper you have to be making saves on the regular.

Side playing against brazil does barely cross half line far less to be hitting shots.

and in club football....?  ::) :D

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 03:15:08 PM »

Yuh name 1 keeper and that suppose to mean Brazil has great keepers in the past...1 is singular, not plural.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 04:37:08 PM »

Yuh name 1 keeper and that suppose to mean Brazil has great keepers in the past...1 is singular, not plural.

Nah..Barabosa is also considered a great..everywhere but his homeland. He was the keeper when Brazil lost to Uruguay in the only WC ever played in Brazil back in 1950. Brazil needed a tie to take their first ever crown but lost 1-2 after leading 1-0 and being the best team in the tourney. It is the darkest day in Brazilian ball and Barabosa was never forgiven for his role...even though he was voted tournament MVP and was known as the best keeper in South America for some time.

Felix was the 1970 goalie and was a boss.

Those two are the only two that I know that were internationally reknowned as 1st class. Emerson Leao was considered very good was well. While Rogerio Ceni is more of a South American club legend, having never been Brazil #1 for any considerable period.

Taffarel falls into the bracket of very good but not exceptional. And there was 2 year period when Dida was world class and probably one of the top 3 keepers in Europe, but he has returned to his error prone ways. Seems to have a concentration problem, cuz athletically he is one of the best. The new crop are good, but the best out of them all will be Helton from Porto..he looks like the real deal

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 04:50:28 PM »
The new crop are good, but the best out of them all will be Helton from Porto..he looks like the real deal

Filho, Helton is already closing in on 30. And, to me, he looked fairly average when he got a start against Portugal the other day. Goalkeepers can go on forever, so he may just be a late bloomer, but I cant see him becoming Brazil's #1.

Julio Caesar might only be slightly younger, but he is a much better keeper.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 06:55:34 PM »
The new crop are good, but the best out of them all will be Helton from Porto..he looks like the real deal

Filho, Helton is already closing in on 30. And, to me, he looked fairly average when he got a start against Portugal the other day. Goalkeepers can go on forever, so he may just be a late bloomer, but I cant see him becoming Brazil's #1.

Julio Caesar might only be slightly younger, but he is a much better keeper.

when i say the new crop, i mean the new set of keepers that Dunga trying out and that starting to make a name for themselves in Europe. not really talking about the young crop. yuh right tho'...didn't realize he was already 29. i agree too with the notion that keepers come into their own a little older than outfield players..i guess we'll see

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2007, 09:01:01 PM »
I've been looking at that too.  Argentina started exporting their keepers in larger numbers than Brazil earlier, but I think the standard of their keepers has dropped a bit.  Brazil has a good selection pool of keepers for its national team; something they didn't have the luxury to do a decade ago.  Right now, and I was saying this before the World Cup, Julio Caesar is the best of the lot.  He seems to be more sound in the fundamentals than Dida, while still making the spectacular save when needed.  And he keeping out another good Keeper at Inter--Toldo.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2007, 09:48:27 PM »
I agree wit Tenorsaw...I feel dat Julio Cesar is de best of de lot too and by far.

Marcos was ok...nothing special.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2007, 10:24:31 PM »
Well we give a man a dread blight today...

Dida poops down heself against Bayern Munich...

First goal, come out timid and brakes a bullet... Second goal get beat on he near post in de last play of de game...

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2007, 04:51:10 PM »
Brazil still gets little respect for its goalies...but lately I've been noticing that Brazilian goalies are becoming increasingly popular in Europe. Remember when Taffarel became the first foreign goalie in Serie A? Well things have opened up since then. If you lok at the final 8 in the Champions League..there are 3 Brazilian goalies: Dida at AC Milan, Doni at Roma and Gomes at PSV. And Inter and Porto, who were close to squeezing through also have Brazilin goalies in Julio Cesar and Helton. So that means 5 of the final 16 and 3 of the final 8 top European teams have Brazilian goalies...not bad for a country that still isn't recosgnized for its shot stoppers

Filho, like yuh fuhget wha ah tell yuh the other day or wha?: 

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=25886.msg286677#msg286677[/url]

Like yuh gettin' old, ;D boy  :beermug:     

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2007, 05:19:21 PM »

Filho, like yuh fuhget wha ah tell yuh the other day or wha?: 

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=25886.msg286677#msg286677[/url]

Like yuh gettin' old, ;D boy  :beermug:     

Nah Chow..I eh forget at all. I just putting that in the context of how many of them playing in the better teams in the Champion's League

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2007, 01:32:22 PM »

Before that I think Italy was the home for goalies, you would never see a foreign based goalie in Serie A. Remember just de other day when they had to choose from Pagliuca, Peruzzi, Toldo, Marchegiani, Abbiati, Rossi, young Buffon and Bucci???

Real flyers..

When you talking about Italian Classic Flyers, u HAVE to mention the enigmatic Walter Zenga!!
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

1]; } ?>