May 01, 2024, 06:01:02 AM

Author Topic: Vietnam rejects Whitley.  (Read 17787 times)

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Vietnam rejects Whitley.
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2007, 06:55:41 AM »
Whitely went across there to expand his foreign use PH operation globally, this football trial was just a way to get the trip & expenses paid for

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2007, 07:46:51 AM »
These sort of things always happen. I am sorry to hear this because I think he could have went places from here. But if you can make a bigger impact than the guys who are there they are not going to give you a big contract and put the club through other expenses, when they can go with the locals who would cost less.

This is the same thing that happen to Gary Glasgow while he was China. Him and Dwarika for that matter.

Gary gone over there, on a lucrative contract and ain't score a goal all season. Same with Dwarika. The staff send them packing one time.

You need to make a big impact when these clubs are spending so much money on you.

Kingman
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 07:49:04 AM by kingman »

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2007, 08:05:37 AM »
when english is your second language sometimes you have no tact in what your saying....

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2007, 10:15:18 AM »
Yes I agree Whitley does lack some basics.  :-\

He hit ah Swede a sweet belt on de line (small goal dribble) and then make a small run and produced one of the shittiest cross. (straight to de keeper). I sure SJ was saying. 'No wonder you in the PFL bredda.'  :(

Whitley was playing de ass after WC 2006 and went half way around the world to get shaft, when he could ah come right here on de board and find out how his skill are rated! I sure TI, Sam, Mohun Biswas (Garrison Gunta), Big Magician, Dutty, Palos, Disgrunted Trini, Alberta, Coops, Pointman, Doc, Observer, Gryskywalker, as an 11 man pannel and Tallman as de chair. They would ah tell him all dat he lacking in.

I understand that he may have been outa position, but no team brings a player from all around the world to diss him. Yuh see.... I really believe that he was lacking!

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2007, 10:21:27 AM »
da coach talking ass....full stop.....
but at the same time...withley have to make up his mind what he wants to do
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2007, 10:24:04 AM »
da coach talking ass....full stop.....
but at the same time...withley have to make up his mind what he wants to do

I know de coach talking from he ass, but I also dissappointed in Whitley too!

De man show fight in WC, you could see he was outa he league, but he had fight, good fight, but when he come home, he loss all that heart and play de ass.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2007, 10:50:47 AM »
Skills lacking

Vietnam club blanks Whitley
Saturday, March 31st 2007

TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO midfielder Aurtis Whitley has been rejected by a Vietnamese football club on the grounds that he lacks the basic skills of a professional player.

Whitley who played in all three of the Soca Warrior's Germany 2006 World Cup matches went to Vietnam on March 9 to try out for the Hoang Anh Gia Lai football club but was denied a contract 20 days after his arrival.

The club's coach Chatchai said "if we sign a contract with this striker, we will have to take time to train him in many basic skills of a professional player. We would rather invest in local strikers like Tang Tuan, Dinh Viet and some young players from the U-21 national squad."

In his comments published in a Vietnamese newspaper Chatchai added that the club "created favourable conditions for this player to show his ability but I'm disappointed. Aurtis Whitley is not more dominant than other foreign footballers who are playing in Vietnam. He even yields to Ghanaian player Yaw Preko. His only advantage is the strength in shots but these shots are inaccurate."

Whitley has played 27 matches for Trinidad and Tobago, scoring one goal.

While at CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh he scored he had 64 goals between 1999 and 2005.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_sports?id=161123390
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2007, 11:06:16 AM »
Skills lacking

TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO midfielder Aurtis Whitley has been rejected by a Vietnamese football club on the grounds that he lacks the basic skills of a professional player.

Whitley who played in all three of the Soca Warrior's Germany 2006 World Cup matches went to Vietnam on March 9 to try out for the Hoang Anh Gia Lai football club but was denied a contract 20 days after his arrival.

The club's coach Chatchai said "if we sign a contract with this striker, we will have to take time to train him in many basic skills of a professional player. We would rather invest in local strikers like Tang Tuan, Dinh Viet and some young players from the U-21 national squad."

In his comments published in a Vietnamese newspaper Chatchai added that the club "created favourable conditions for this player to show his ability but I'm disappointed. Aurtis Whitley is not more dominant than other foreign footballers who are playing in Vietnam. He even yields to Ghanaian player Yaw Preko. His only advantage is the strength in shots but these shots are inaccurate."

While at CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh he scored he had 64 goals between 1999 and 2005.

Everybody focusin on the word "lack of basic skills to be a professional footballer"

What if the skills the coach referring to have more to do with off field skills?

For example.....punctuality, decorum, attitute to training etc.

I am not saying this is the case.....but the basic skills to be a professional footballer to me are more than just pass, trap, tackle, run and shoot.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2007, 11:19:01 AM »
« Reply #37 on: Today at 12:06:16 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: elan on Today at 11:50:47 AM
Skills lacking

Everybody focusin on the word "lack of basic skills to be a professional footballer"

What if the skills the coach referring to have more to do with off field skills?

For example.....punctuality, decorum, attitute to training etc.

I am not saying this is the case.....but the basic skills to be a professional footballer to me are more than just pass, trap, tackle, run and shoot.

Palos I was thinking along the same lines but then the coach went on to say.....

"In his comments published in a Vietnamese newspaper Chatchai added that the club "created favourable conditions for this player to show his ability but I'm disappointed. Aurtis Whitley is not more dominant than other foreign footballers who are playing in Vietnam. He even yields to Ghanaian player Yaw Preko. His only advantage is the strength in shots but these shots are inaccurate."

So I really don't know, but he can't let that keep him down. Every opportunity would not work out. Persistence and Perseverance.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Papasmurf

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://footballawayoflife.blogspot.com/
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2007, 11:45:23 AM »
I sorry to hear that, but Whitley look for that. He decided to remain inactive before the world cup and he is suffering now as a result. I will like to see my boys get contracts, but that decision defintely hurt him. He needs to shine in the gold cup and try to take it from there.

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2007, 11:52:58 AM »
Sometimes disappointments can be a blessing. He need to go back to the drawing board and assess himself.
Stupidity is an elemental force for which no earthquake is a match."
-Karl Kraus

Offline trini supporter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2007, 11:57:27 AM »
I wonder if he gave his all on trial ah know he liitle lazy  but i also know that he is a player with plenty potential but still have some work to do on his game maybe this will be a wake up call for him

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2007, 12:11:05 PM »
The reality is.....at 30 and not being a regular in T&T's football team.....Whitley's chances of making a go of it professionally overseas are pretty slim.

His time was right after the World Cup.  He didn't carpe de flikkin diem and now I fear dat ship sail fuh he.

This is not to say he cannot go on to be a sterling contributor to the National team.  Matter of fact, if he REALLY serious bout being a professional footballer, he should focus his energies in being the best he can be for club and country.  Because I believe the only way for him to attract attention from a decent overseas club at this stage is if he is an outstanding performer for the national team.

Of course...that means he have to earn his way on to the National team so he has to be a consistently outstanding player for his club team.  He has all the Opportunity in the world now.  Coach Rijsbergen knows all about him and what he can do.  He lookin for local players.  Whitley's career is firmly in his hands & head....if dem tings straight, his feet will take care of themselves.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 12:13:35 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2007, 01:15:24 PM »
Even though the man went the World Cup, I think people forgetting that Whitley did not even make Jabloteh starting team consistently last season.  His play has obviously deteriorated.

The man just not motivated.  We all know de man have it in him.  Hopefully this experience wake he ass up.

Offline Papachunks

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2007, 01:58:49 PM »
Even though the man went the World Cup, I think people forgetting that Whitley did not even make Jabloteh starting team consistently last season. His play has obviously deteriorated.

The man just not motivated. We all know de man have it in him. Hopefully this experience wake he ass up.

Its definitely a matter of the head. This is the second time at least he went out on a foreign contract to impress and couldnt cut it, i believe he went Portugal a long time ago too. He has a strong mentality playing for his national team, but he just cant seem to deal with culture shock. An off the field weakness, that affects overall disposition and hence game.

Is ashame, but i feel he should be able to slot into a North American squad if he desires, culture shock will be less.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2007, 02:58:52 PM »
I sorry to hear that, but Whitley look for that. He decided to remain inactive before the world cup and he is suffering now as a result. I will like to see my boys get contracts, but that decision defintely hurt him. He needs to shine in the gold cup and try to take it from there.

If he make the gold cup.........

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2007, 04:45:38 PM »
that coach didn't have to diss the man like that, jess say it ain't working out or something a lil better.  Hard luck whitley wheel and come again.

Offline banton

• Hero Warrior
  • football in meh veins football in meh blood
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeWOxnWoXKI
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2007, 10:04:26 AM »
who d f**k is Hoang Anh Gia Lai  >:(

dis man played against d best,i cyah vex all them local coaches complain bout de man that he aint raise he game since de world cup,yuo have to burn to learn but in dis case de whole world will see de smoke :-[
football in meh veins football in meh blood

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2007, 12:05:41 PM »
that coach didn't have to diss the man like that, jess say it ain't working out or something a lil better.  Hard luck whitley wheel and come again.
        I understand where you coming from,i've given my views on this guy a couple times from reading different posts about him on here and the same thing people saying about this Coach was said to me,i've never seen or meet him personally just going by what i read about him,some how i've never gotten a good feeling about him and what's going on here does not surprise me.One thing about this game you cannot hide for long you going to get expose some how some time,i've always said guys like Whitley,Span may be wants to play Football but they don't really like this game.After what was said about Vietnam Football, it took the same people who we said don't know anything about the game to tell us and Whitley he does not have what it takes to play the game,to be honest Whitley plays well if he has players playing good around him,by himself he is useless and that's what happen to him in Vietnam,teams don't take you for them to help you, it's the other way around,you have to help them and if you can't do that (sorry).     

People on here calling players legend and all kind a different names and they now start to play Football,if we want to talk about legends we must bring the past and present together and name them,when people can still talk about you twenty/thirty years after you finish playing Football yes you can claim that.With all that going on here you still hearing a lot of excuses for Whitley,a thirty year old man and still have no experience,when will he get it at forty?he played with and have been around the most experience players we have today,when i hear people saying we have to have a mixture of local and foreign based players for the locals to improve it seems that isn't working.

This talk about he is not a forward and they put him to play forward etc etc does not make sense to me,you are a Footballer regardless to where you like or most comfortable playing does not matter you still need to master all the basic skills.Yorke at one time one of the best forwards in the world was moved to midfield and not by his choice his Coach did it,Kenwyne left here as the best Youth defender in the country,in England was moved to forward for his club and even plays their for T&T now,we can go on and on with examples,the star boy image is what killing us,nobody dissing Whitley he dissing himself.

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2007, 12:24:21 PM »
Good points Coop's. What I don't understand is why this is a surprise to most. In Asain football, if you are a striker you have to possess the skill of a Brazilian or African, and if you don't then you must have the work ethic and rate like a Japanese - other than those you won't be considered. Whitley chances were very slim long before he left T&T, he have a better chance getting a starting gig in the USL A-League, even the Scottish/Irish 1st division than Asia. It is clear that his agents didn't do their home work prior to sending him - they took the Vietnam league for granted.

What most of you don't understand is that these Asain leagues pay their players well (average players can receive around $2,000.00US per month, with top players earning in excess of$10,000.00US per month) so they expect 150% from their signees, and also as a culture they are not very appreciative of persons on color, so you have to be way better than the rest.

Another thing is - Asians are more intuned with football than most of T&T - just look at the type of support that European teams get in the Asain markets. They see more top quality football than we do on any given day, they are more loyal supports than we are - in a nutshell they know more about the game than the average Trinbagonian - de trute is de trute.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »
Coop's and Baygo Boy, allyuh wastin' allyuh breath.  I see we have a whole lotta men on the forum here that could tallk football and talk rings around people, but still just don't get it.  Our culture lacks so many components of fundamental football, work ethic, sacrifice and professionalism that a country like (piss-ass, if you believe some of the comments posted here) Vietnam has, that most of us wouldn't recognize if it hit us dead in our faces.  We tend to focus on the means and overlook the end and vice-versa when it's convenient for us, much to the detriment of our overall view of this game we call football: e.g. we took our good result against Sweden and our not-so-bad results against England and Paraguay to feel that our football and our players are all now at a world class level.  Not so.  The wide gap in class, execution but firstly in fundamentals was still evident;  A lot of us are going to get carried away with the fact that Master Roberts has scored in his debut in the dutch Leage and not be as concerned about the d-e-v-e-l-o-p-m-e-n-t of his game and sense of professionalism as a whole and how it will benefit himself and, subsequently, our country, in the long run.  Whitley never really impressed me for what it takes to be a great player and I am therefore, not surprised at his failings in the far east or of the coach's brutal honesty........Nor am I bothered by it.  I rather be told the truth, no matter how harsh it may be, that to be flattered and deceived.  (As long as what I am being told is actually the truth, of course.)  There are probably a host of people that are involved in T&T football at some level that are members of this forum, whether it be playing, coaching, or adminitrating.  What are you guys doing to make sure that you yourself or your players don't get "dissed" like Whitley did?

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2007, 03:27:04 PM »
        I understand where you coming from,i've given my views on this guy a couple times from reading different posts about him on here and the same thing people saying about this Coach was said to me,i've never seen or meet him personally just going by what i read about him,some how i've never gotten a good feeling about him and what's going on here does not surprise me.One thing about this game you cannot hide for long you going to get expose some how some time,i've always said guys like Whitley,Span may be wants to play Football but they don't really like this game.After what was said about Vietnam Football, it took the same people who we said don't know anything about the game to tell us and Whitley he does not have what it takes to play the game,to be honest Whitley plays well if he has players playing good around him,by himself he is useless and that's what happen to him in Vietnam,teams don't take you for them to help you, it's the other way around,you have to help them and if you can't do that (sorry).     

People on here calling players legend and all kind a different names and they now start to play Football,if we want to talk about legends we must bring the past and present together and name them,when people can still talk about you twenty/thirty years after you finish playing Football yes you can claim that.With all that going on here you still hearing a lot of excuses for Whitley,a thirty year old man and still have no experience,when will he get it at forty?he played with and have been around the most experience players we have today,when i hear people saying we have to have a mixture of local and foreign based players for the locals to improve it seems that isn't working.

This talk about he is not a forward and they put him to play forward etc etc does not make sense to me,you are a Footballer regardless to where you like or most comfortable playing does not matter you still need to master all the basic skills.Yorke at one time one of the best forwards in the world was moved to midfield and not by his choice his Coach did it,Kenwyne left here as the best Youth defender in the country,in England was moved to forward for his club and even plays their for T&T now,we can go on and on with examples,the star boy image is what killing us,nobody dissing Whitley he dissing himself.

To be clear coops i not saying the coach wrong, he coulds pull him aside and also include fenwick(he agent coach pr etc) saying look this man a shithound ,he lacking basics, yuh waste meh time and money, he need to work on xyz, so go home and maybe check meh down the road(even though ah really saying doh call meh unless yuh have another much better and younger prospect).
But would i go in the open and say all that to the media?-i don't think so. But say what, that done and only hope whitley gain something and have a decent remainder to his career.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2007, 03:40:20 PM »
Yorke at one time one of the best forwards in the world was moved to midfield and not by his choice his Coach did it,Kenwyne left here as the best Youth defender in the country,in England was moved to forward for his club and even plays their for T&T now,we can go on and on with examples,the star boy image is what killing us,nobody dissing Whitley he dissing himself.

Yorke came back to play in the midfield positon under bertile as for jones southampton  tried him out in many different positons an he played well in all but then they came to the conclusion that he was best suited as a foward and jones also stated he prefer the forward role.

But Coop whitley has been one of the dominant midfielders over the years  in our proleague .. so what does that say about the other players then  ???
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2007, 05:32:01 PM »
Dat team lacks profesional ettiquette, ah could only imagine how they does treat they current players.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2007, 05:40:09 PM »
That coach lacks all the basic skills to be a coach of  profeaaional football team.  It is one thing to say that it is a better idea to develop players from home but to suggest that Whitley does not ahve the skills of a professional player is arsinine.  Who does this coach think he is?  What is the standard of that league?  Has Vietnam even won an Asian tournament?  Come on guys.  Can't you see that the coach is simply looking for an excuse to not sign the player.  We need to concentrate on developing our players and local leagues and players need to think about where they play - not in obscure laegues in thid and forth world countries, just to say we playing overseas.  I hear guys dissing the MLS and then supporting our players who go to these backwoods!  Baloney.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2007, 05:54:29 PM »
I had a nice long read on all the posts and I also went over and over the report from the Vietnamese coach.  Palos I have to agree with your posts when I first read the article.  The man never really come out and say that Whitley shitty...He mention about lacking the basics of a true professional...that could mean a number of things.  Whitley is one of my favourite players, but he have to take some knock here.

I for one not surprised that he couldn't make the grade.  Ent just a couple weeks ago there was a thread asking about Witley's whereabouts....that is how the talk about PH cars come up.  Wim didn't pick him on the NT on the advice of Fenwick, who said Whitley was not playing/training consistently with Jabloteh.  So he probably went to Vietnam 'out-of-form'.

Other men already comment about the culture shock and the apparent perception of Vietnem football being of a lesser standard than we accustomed to...so no more comments on that.  As for the coaches comments...he call it as he see it.  Men upset about that because all comments about our players must always be nice and sweet.  If he said "Whitley is a quality, high class player, unfortunately we are not looking for a player in the positiion that he favours, so we have to let him go"  men woulda be cool with that.  Allyuh remember before the WC, Whitley said he didn't want the wuk with Portsmouth (ah think it was), because he wanted to concentrate on the NT....I wonder what the truth about that is now.  I think he had a chance to go China as well couple years ago and Jabloteh increase his wages and he decided to stay local...not sure if there was actually a trial though.  

The other thing that comes to mind is Whitley's upbringing.  I wondering if he prefer the 'ghetto football', where his fans are and where he is most comfortable.  Ato mention a long time ago about the influence of education on professionalism and marketabiity.  I am also just wondering like most...if Whitley not good enough to make the grade there, what does that say about the rest of the locals and the PFL....Wim's statement comes to mind.

Hope he use that experience to grow stronger.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2007, 08:38:30 PM »
What a joke...

This reports stinks of a personal fallout situation.

Shitsnake Vietnam...steups

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2007, 09:16:42 PM »
What a joke...

This reports stinks of a personal fallout situation.

Shitsnake Vietnam...steups

Nothing personal, but it sound like sour grapes they boy!

Rude awakening,yuh ent dreaming, it real so doh bother tuh slap yuh self......

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Vietnam rejects Whitley
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2007, 08:49:38 AM »
wheys.... :-[ i feel bad for whitley.....but dey trying him out as a striker hes more of a defensive midfielder.  :bs:

It could be that Whitley wasn't that interested in living and playing in Vietnam.  Big cultural differences, different expectations with regards to training etc.  Whitley is yuh local boy from de hood.  Vietnam might as well have been a different planet fuh he.  All a dis may have translated into less than stellar performances on the field, because make no bones about it......Aurtis Whitley can flat out PLAY.

this really is the most likely scenario that transpired. I mean cmon, they trying to tell us whitley is so bad that a vietnamese club thinks he is complete shit? im not buying that. whitley probably gave a half-assed effort, which i guess is actually a worse scenario when i think about it. he needs a club and needs to be maintaining a good string of performances.
Hart for president

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2007, 10:55:00 AM »
Thinking about this now I am kind of leaning on the notion that it's not really his game per se they may have complained about. See, when Africans move to a new place I have observed that they are very submissive to the people who are citizens their. Trinbagonians on the other hand don't. We believe that I tell you, not you tell me. We like to move in our own timing and in that culture such attitude would not go over well. Actually Whitley could have performed very well by our type of football, but for them if you cannot follow struture to the letter then that's a problem. They like everything to be orchestrated, and for everyone to do what is required.

Whitley probably out there turning people up and all that. They would not really go for that. This I believe could have led to some problems with the coach and when you factor in language and accent, it's a whole different ball game.

1]; } ?>