April 23, 2024, 02:08:14 AM

Author Topic: Fire Signs Rookie Osei Telesford.  (Read 5231 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Fire Signs Rookie Osei Telesford.
« on: March 30, 2007, 12:29:35 PM »
Fire signs rookie Osei Telesford.
By: mlsnet.com

BRIDGEVIEW, IL (March 30, 2007) - The Chicago Fire has secured the services of rookie defender-midfielder Osei Telesford (pronounced Oh-SAY) with a contract that will place the Trinidad native on the squad's 28-man roster. Per Major League Soccer (MLS) and team policy, specific terms of the deal were not disclosed.
The 23-year-old Telesford joins the "Men in Red" by way of the 2007 MLS Supplemental Draft, as Chicago selected the Liberty University product with its second round (21st overall) pick. Telesford was a defensive mainstay in college, starting in 65 of 66 appearances for the Flames. He was named to the All-Big South Conference team all four years, earning First Team honors on three occasions. He was named to the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) All-South Atlantic Region First Team for the second straight year this fall. In 2006, Telesford ranked second on the team in goals, and during his four-year career, notched eight goals and eight assists.
Telesford has also represented his country at the highest level, having recently played the full 90 minutes in each of his five appearances for the Trinidad & Tobago (T&T) Senior National Team in the Caribbean Digicel Cup in January. The defensive player was also capped this year for "Soca Warriors" friendlies against Panama (January 31) and Costa Rica (February 4) and has represented T&T regularly at the U-20 and U-23 levels.
"Osei is a player that immediately had an impact at the start of preseason," said Fire head coach Dave Sarachan. "He offers us international experience and it showed during this preseason. He defends one-on-one very well and is good in the air and doesn't get fazed by competition."

Osei Telesford

Position: Defender/Midfielder
Height: 5'11" (1.80 m)
Weight: 190 lbs. (87 kg)
Born: Nov. 30, 1983 in San Juan, Trinidad
Hometown: San Juan, Trinidad
College: Liberty University
Citizenship: Trinidad and Tobago
How Acquired: Drafted in the second round (21st overall) of the 2007 MLS Supplemental Draft
Pronunciation: oh-SAY

NATIONAL TEAM EXPERIENCE: Played the full 90 minutes in his first four "caps" for the T&T Senior National Team in the Caribbean Digicel Cup in January 2007 ... Was also capped for Soca Warriors' friendly against Costa Rica on 2-04-07 ... Also represented Trinidad & Tobago regularly at the U-20 and U-23 levels.

COLLEGE: Started in 65 of his 66 appearances at Liberty University, scoring eight goals and eight assists for the Flames ... 2006: First Team All-Big South Conference ... Second on team in goals and points and third in assists ... VCU Classic All-Tournament Team... 2005: First Team All-Big South Conference ... 2004: Second Team All-Big South Conference ... 2003: First Team All-Big South Conference.

HIGH SCHOOL: Attended Trinity High School ... earned team MVP during his senior year.

CLUBS: Earned 2006 PDL Defender of the Year honor and PDL First Team selection for helping the Carolina Dynamo to a league-best 14-0-2 regular season record ... Grew up playing in the youth system for regular CONCACAF Champions Cup participant Joe Public FC (TRI).

PERSONAL: Son of Junior and Marva Telesford ... Majored in sport management at Liberty University.

TRANSACTION:
CHICAGO FIRE - Signs Osei Telesford, team's second round selection in the 2007 Supplemental Draft

« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 03:50:17 AM by Flex »

Offline Pro-Jayz

• Sr. Warrior
  • Is ah long time since ah went Gulf City!
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Signs Rookie Osei Telesford
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 12:33:30 PM »
YES! I'm proud of telesford and wish him all the best...Hopefully he can use the MLS as a passage to Europe..but its still a good start for a young player....and based on his talent he can go very far

(Definitley better than the A league and Vietnam)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 12:55:43 PM by problemjaydeess »
only born in Santa Cruz BUT RAISED IN SAN FERNANDO..so dont get tied up!...I FROM SOUTH!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 12:52:24 PM »
YES! I'm proud of telesford and wish him all the best...Hopefully he can use the MLS as a passage to Europe..but its still a good start for a young player....and based on his talent he can go very far

(Definitley better than the A league and Vietnam)
for real boss  :D
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Papasmurf

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://footballawayoflife.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 01:21:10 PM »
He needs to make an impact immediately, so he can raise his stock. And either become an elite player in MLS or ship out, because the pay in that league for a newbie is horrible. Men cyah even live properly on that.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 01:22:43 PM »
He needs to make an impact immediately, so he can raise his stock. And either become an elite player in MLS or ship out, because the pay in that league for a newbie is horrible. Men cyah even live properly on that.

Papasmurf what is the pay so?

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline black chinee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 02:30:07 PM »
well done my youte.... Represent fuh TRINITY :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 03:19:34 PM »

about 11,000 osi may get  since he rep trinidad they may pay him a bit more ...... avery john used to get 30,000 i think and he dey fuh years
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 03:24:12 PM »
Galaxy rookies looking to fit in
By Greg Daurio / MLSnet.com Staff 

CARSON, Calif. -- A look through the Los Angeles Galaxy roster tends to read like a who's who of CONCACAF internationals. Start with the U.S. contingent -- players like Landon Donovan, Cobi Jones, Chris Albright, Nate Jaqua, Joe Cannon, Kyle Martino and Santino Quaranta have all represented the Red, White and Blue. Add in Tyrone Marshall and Shavar Thomas (Jamaica) and Ante Jazic (Canada), and that's 10 players who have played for their full national teams.
Throw in former England captain David Beckham after he expands the club's international reach upon his arrival in July, and add Pete Vagenas, Quavas Kirk and Nathan Sturgis to the list (all of whom have played at either the Olympic or under-20 level) and it starts to paint an impressive picture.

Despite all that international experience there is a pair of Galaxy rookies that are looking to make an impact on this year's team. Robbie Findley and Ty Harden play on opposite ends of the field, but both have very similar goals for their first professional seasons.

"I want to establish myself with the team and make a name for myself," said Findley, a rookie forward out of Oregon State. "I want to get out on the pitch and get some minutes."

For defender Ty Harden the goal is much the same. The University of Washington graduate is hoping to get the full MLS experience, beginning with racking up some frequent-flier miles.

"My goal right now is to make the 18-man traveling roster," said Harden. "That's what I'm focused on right now."

It won't be easy to crack the Galaxy starting 11 this year, but with the number of fixtures on LA's calendar this year, both should get plenty of playing time. The real question is how well the duo adapts to the professional game. Both admit it hasn't been easy.

"It's a tough adjustment at first," said Harden. "The pace is a lot faster. In MLS every player is really solid. There's not that weak link like there sometimes is in college."

One thing that has helped both players in their transition has been the guidance of the seasoned veterans on the team. Often times in professional sports veterans tend to keep to themselves. That's not the case with the Galaxy, according to the '07 rookie class.

"I look up to all of (the veterans). They've been here for years and have done it all," said Findley. "I just try to pay attention to the attitude they take during training."

As the depth of the MLS improves from year to year it will be tougher for rookies to make a significant impact on the league. Both Harden and Findley have acquitted themselves well to the MLS game so far in preseason and could well make their mark with the Galaxy this year.

Greg Daurio is a contributor to MLSnet.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Soccer or its clubs.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 05:23:25 PM »
Nice news. Big up! He reminds me alot of Sancho which is a serious complement
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 10:59:32 PM »
Nice goin
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Signs Rookie Osei Telesford.
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 04:51:05 AM »
Good luck Telesford....
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 07:40:48 AM »
The news was just released but he signed a very long time ago.

Big up Telesford. Make us proud.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 10:18:54 AM »
good....now learn to head the ball
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Papasmurf

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 11:40:59 AM »

about 11,000 osi may get since he rep trinidad they may pay him a bit more ...... avery john used to get 30,000 i think and he dey fuh years

That sounds about right...reserve men make 11,500 a year. starters make about 25-35000 when you come from the draft. Cornel used to make about 73,000 a year. Now Atleast cornell was making something but 35000 a year to live in d US is barely decent depending what state u playing in. But imagine making 11,500  a year and playing in NY, that is paltry.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 12:08:29 PM »
I'm very happy that he will be exposed to a decent level of football. We need this player in the push for  South Africa 2010. A mediocre performance in the final against Haiti was the only stain for the entire CFU tournament. He's not the fastest but he reads the game very well. I wish him the very best.

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2007, 12:59:17 AM »

big up my boy.. represent for d joe youths and san juan ppl.....

bless

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2007, 10:06:42 AM »

about 11,000 osi may get since he rep trinidad they may pay him a bit more ...... avery john used to get 30,000 i think and he dey fuh years

That sounds about right...reserve men make 11,500 a year. starters make about 25-35000 when you come from the draft. Cornel used to make about 73,000 a year. Now Atleast cornell was making something but 35000 a year to live in d US is barely decent depending what state u playing in. But imagine making 11,500 a year and playing in NY, that is paltry.

I dont know if this is the case for all teams but was talking about this to a chicago player last year, and he said that players at least get subsidised housing for the first two years.

Offline Papasmurf

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2007, 11:52:57 AM »

That sounds about right...reserve men make 11,500 a year. starters make about 25-35000 when you come from the draft. Cornel used to make about 73,000 a year. Now Atleast cornell was making something but 35000 a year to live in d US is barely decent depending what state u playing in. But imagine making 11,500 a year and playing in NY, that is paltry.

I dont know if this is the case for all teams but was talking about this to a chicago player last year, and he said that players at least get subsidised housing for the first two years.

Ok well that is fair enough.

1]; } ?>