April 26, 2024, 03:47:46 AM

Author Topic: England's the Best?  (Read 3249 times)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
England's the Best?
« on: March 31, 2007, 10:57:03 AM »
Ferguson: English clubs now best in Europe

Sir Alex Ferguson believes the Premiership is now the best league in the world.

The Manchester United manager's comments may appear a little hollow given the sub-standard nature of some of the domestic action this term but, with three quarter-finalists, England has a greater representation in the Champions League than Italy or Spain.

And Ferguson would not be surprised in the least if the May 23 final in Athens was a battle between two English clubs.

'There is a chance of an all-English final,' he said.

'Six or seven years ago, the Spanish league was the best but now I really believe we have caught it up.

'Liverpool's result against Barcelona in the last round is a good case in point.

'Real Madrid got knocked out as well, which tells you Spain's two biggest teams are not at their best.

'Right now, English football is probably the best in Europe.'

Certainly England's chances of landing some silverware at club level are a lot more plausible than they are in the international arena.

And, following a tortuous week in which Steve McClaren's side were booed by their own fans in Israel and Barcelona, Ferguson accepts Wayne Rooney, Rio Ferdinand and Michael Carrick were probably glad to get back to the sanctuary of Old Trafford.

'It was a mixed bag in terms of our players' success at international level over the past week but, when you look at the results, the English lads are probably glad to be back - and we are happy to have them here,' he observed.

For an all-English final to materialise, United would have to navigate their way through a tricky draw which pits them into a quarter-final meeting with Roma and a last four clash with either AC Milan or Bayern Munich.

Although Roma are trailing Inter Milan by some distance in the battle for Serie A, Ferguson has not been fooled into thinking progress into the semi-finals will be automatic for the Red Devils.

Chief problem for United ahead of Wednesday's first leg in the Olympic Stadium is how to set up defensively against a team that does not have an out-and-out striker.

With Brazilian duo Mancini and Taddei looking to spring inside from the wing positions and Francesco Totti dropping deep, virtually into a midfield slot, Ferguson's men are faced with a puzzle which does not often present itself in the Premiership.

If they are not careful, United could end up with four orthodox defenders marking no-one, a situation Ferguson is anxious to avoid.

'Their system is a key factor for us because Roma play without a central striker,' he said.

'The issue is what we do about our central defenders, whether we push one onto Totti or whether we let him drift and control the game.

'We have the players who can adapt but tactically we have to get it right.

'It is not a game that is giving me sleepless nights but if we don't get ourselves sorted out, it could be a very hard evening for us.'

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=417797&cc=5901

Do you agree with Sir Alexs' comment if so why, or why not?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: England's the Best?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 11:01:32 AM »
It is the best league in the world

Chelsea Utd and Liverpool are in the Quarterfinals of the UCL    Arsenal let down England

Spain has 1 and the match fixers have 2

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 11:39:40 AM »
I guess England has to do it once for them to be the best.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 12:09:37 PM »
Going off the most recent Champions League season, you have 3 of the 8 teams in the quarter finalists coming from the EPL, and 4 of the 16 (25 percent) were from the EPL.  Right now, I would say that they are definitely up there with the best of Europe.  Of course, the Italians and Spaniards have had their time, and this changes from season to season.  Right now, the EPL teams are the best in Europe.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 03:59:52 PM »
Going off the most recent Champions League season, you have 3 of the 8 teams in the quarter finalists coming from the EPL, and 4 of the 16 (25 percent) were from the EPL.  Right now, I would say that they are definitely up there with the best of Europe.  Of course, the Italians and Spaniards have had their time, and this changes from season to season.  Right now, the EPL teams are the best in Europe.

I love the EPL...that and La Liga are the two best leagues imo. Obviously, what one considers the best league will always be somewhat subjective. But the fact that the EPL has 3 teams in the CL quarterfinals should not even come into any kinda analysis. What if none of them get past the quarters? What if the 2 Italian sides make it to the CL final..What will you say then? All of a sudden Serie A will be the best in Europe? Plus, how well a team does in the CL depends a lot on the draw and wat kind of form they are in at a particular time in the season. Also, the teams that are in the CL are not necessarily the best teams in the league that year, since you qualify for the CL based on the previous year's results. So you don't know get to include teams like Shalke 04 or Sevilla, which are leading teams in Germany and Spain. Since we are discussing who is strongest THIS year, they should be included in the discussion. Now if at the end of the day, one or two EPL teams make it to the final....it kinda hard to argue against that. The EPL will have sent at least one team to each of the last 3 CL finals. And that kind of consistency over a period of time, seriously nullifies some of the arguments I make. Anyway....as far as I concerened..the EPL and La Liga are the BEST. Just my personal preference..I don't care who wins what....those are the first two leagues I taking in when I have the time

Offline banton

• Hero Warrior
  • football in meh veins football in meh blood
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeWOxnWoXKI
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 10:06:01 AM »
they are,everyone wants to play in england  :)
football in meh veins football in meh blood

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 11:52:22 AM »

Chelsea Utd and Liverpool are in the Quarterfinals of the UCL    Arsenal let down England

Smallie let's keep preaching to the doubters and haters.  :beermug:

Italian Soccer: Have pretty boys, you can't tell male from female. Slow football, bribery, Gatuso and Materazzi. Nuff Said. Attendances like de PFL

Spanish Soccer: Good dribbles, poor defence and over hyped players..... ZiZou was the last of they best they had to offer for me. Sorry Ronaldino I wana see you shine in the big games instead of CG Nike commercials.

MLS: Need to sign more Trinis!

SPFL: When all yuh gona make latas ah Lord, and give him ah house in de highlands.

Portugese League 1: We have ah player here for yuh, a bit indisciplined but his name is Hardest!

French League 1: Sign more ah we defenders and forwards, cause we got a similar style!

EPL is de best!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 11:56:48 AM by dctrini »

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 12:01:46 PM »
EPL the best yesterday, today and forever!!!!!!

GLORY GLORY!!!!!!!
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 12:26:56 PM »
Sorry Ronaldino I wana see you shine in the big games instead of CG Nike commercials.

you cannot be serious  ;D Ronaldinho eh good looking boss...the man is in CG Nike commercials cause he really is an exceptional player and he does it in the big games too. don't get carried away with the haters because he had a poor WC 2006. Besides, if you weren't a Ronaldo/Rivaldo jumbie in 2002, you would see that Ronaldinho already left his stamp on a WC

Under 17 WC 1997
Copa America 1999
WC 2002
Confed Cup 2005
La Liga 2005
La Liga 2006
UEFA CL 2006

oh yeah...I love the EPL too..I just cyah understand the Ronaldinho pot shots

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
« Reply #6 on: Today at 01:52:22 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Small Magician on March 31, 2007, 12:01:32 PM

Smallie let's keep preaching to the doubters and haters. 

Italian Soccer: Have pretty boys, you can't tell male from female. Slow football, bribery, Gatuso and Materazzi. Nuff Said. Attendances like de PFL

Spanish Soccer: Good dribbles, poor defence and over hyped players..... ZiZou was the last of they best they had to offer for me. Sorry Ronaldino I wana see you shine in the big games instead of CG Nike commercials.

MLS: Need to sign more Trinis!

SPFL: When all yuh gona make latas ah Lord, and give him ah house in de highlands.

Portugese League 1: We have ah player here for yuh, a bit indisciplined but his name is Hardest!

French League 1: Sign more ah we defenders and forwards, cause we got a similar style!

EPL is de best! 

Yuh forget to include we PFL, wham tuh yuh?!!!! :devil:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 01:05:05 PM »
Sorry Ronaldino I wana see you shine in the big games instead of CG Nike commercials.

you cannot be serious  ;D Ronaldinho eh good looking boss...the man is in CG Nike commercials cause he really is an exceptional player and he does it in the big games too. don't get carried away with the haters because he had a poor WC 2006. Besides, if you weren't a Ronaldo/Rivaldo jumbie in 2002, you would see that Ronaldinho already left his stamp on a WC

Under 17 WC 1997
Copa America 1999
WC 2002
Confed Cup 2005
La Liga 2005
La Liga 2006
UEFA CL 2006

oh yeah...I love the EPL too..I just cyah understand the Ronaldinho pot shots

Bredda he had the chance to play for de greatest team in the world (EPL) and he got stage fright and signed for Barca.  ;D

Please 2002, I guess yuh talking about that free kick he scored on Seaman, look bredda my 2 year old daughter can score on de best English goal keepers. Remember Moller's freekick against Shilton 1990, and Paul Robinson miss kicking that ball against Croatia (I guess someone was using Jedi mind control on that ball). Robinson against TnT, if Stern John did not shoulder that ball and headed it, he would have said, "Oopsy, I made a Poopsy."

UEFA CL- Arsenal gifted them that Cup and Eto was simply briliant, so was Larson.

WC 2006- This man was training on de beach in private etc, etc, etc and what??? Nada, fatso outscored him and Kaka showed world class. He did give a good performance in Apocalypto though!

For me the most intelligent player in de world right now is Steven Gerrard, simply pure quality!  ;D

Offline Papachunks

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 01:18:22 PM »

The EPL has 20 teams, so a little less than 25%. I dont feel we can start saying England has the best league, until we see them pull this off more times in the future.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 02:12:08 PM »
You know what I want to reinterate some ah dem statements. England is the Best, the championship is de best. (any league with so many trinis have to be de best. Trinderland is de best team in de worlds hand down, It have de saviour of TnT football, Edwards, De most prolific goal scorer SJ, and the master who run de mid field) who can ask for more in a league!  ;D

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 02:37:09 PM »
Bredda he had the chance to play for de greatest team in the world (EPL) and he got stage fright and signed for Barca.  ;D

Please 2002, I guess yuh talking about that free kick he scored on Seaman, look bredda my 2 year old daughter can score on de best English goal keepers. Remember Moller's freekick against Shilton 1990, and Paul Robinson miss kicking that ball against Croatia (I guess someone was using Jedi mind control on that ball). Robinson against TnT, if Stern John did not shoulder that ball and headed it, he would have said, "Oopsy, I made a Poopsy."

UEFA CL- Arsenal gifted them that Cup and Eto was simply briliant, so was Larson.

WC 2006- This man was training on de beach in private etc, etc, etc and what??? Nada, fatso outscored him and Kaka showed world class. He did give a good performance in Apocalypto though!

For me the most intelligent player in de world right now is Steven Gerrard, simply pure quality!  ;D

Nice one...heheh...but thank the Lord he didn't go ManU

You sounding lil bit like a football novice if that is all you can remember of Ronaldinho in WC 2002. In fact, in that same game he assisted on Rivaldo's equalizer with a brilliant play and had a hell of a game (and a red card). He was unstoppable, but I guess you missed all that. Besides...how you dissing the best English keepers so...they doh play in the EPL?
Enjoy...... ;D ;D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DUdZarQ9PZQ

As for WC 2006, everyone knows he had a poor WC, and I already mentioned that..so nice try.....especially since you pick Gerrard as your fave. What did he do in WC 2006?. Oh yeah..walk with his hands on his hips against Portugal while Owen Hargreaves was shwoing the English squad waht quality is. Best Englis midfielder for Wc 2006 plays in the Bundesliga. What has Gerrard done for England in any big tournament? Nought. Don't get me worng..I think he is a top player, but you can't use a poor WC 2006 to dis Ronaldinho and then turn around and say you like Gerrard  ;)

As for the CL...Barcelona played 13 games to get to the final and all you could do is comment on the final. Sorry but the CL has a lot of big games besides the final..and Barca was not getting to the final without Ronaldinho even if he was quiet by his high standards...

Peace bredda...we disagree, but come with some real counterpoints next time  ;D :devil: :beermug:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bPcwVXV54jk

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 03:53:48 PM »
Filho them men on kicks, not one reasonble argument.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2007, 07:41:38 PM »
I don't think that Ronaldinho is great, he is good, but not great and the same goes for C Ronaldo.  There's no true great player in the game today. You can never be sure which player or team will show up on any given day.  What makes these players (Ronaldinho, C Ronaldo) stand out is the fact that they will attempt more improv in their game. In todays' game players are not primarily required to beat or show off their skill,emphasis is placed largely on combination play involving everyone.

Let's ask the question, can either player team/s depend on them for their team winning the game?  Pele, Maradona,Klinsmann, Rijkaard,Zidane per se.

See Ronaldinho and C Ronaldo are players who you don't know when they will show their brilliance, hence the reason to keep tuning in to see what they will do. They are excellent players but I am not sure they are great or the best in the world right now, but entertaining they are and still very young.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2007, 08:13:01 PM »

Nice one...heheh...but thank the Lord he didn't go ManU

You sounding lil bit like a football novice if that is all you can remember of Ronaldinho in WC 2002. In fact, in that same game he assisted on Rivaldo's equalizer with a brilliant play and had a hell of a game (and a red card). He was unstoppable, but I guess you missed all that. Besides...how you dissing the best English keepers so...they doh play in the EPL?
Enjoy...... ;D ;D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DUdZarQ9PZQ

As for WC 2006, everyone knows he had a poor WC, and I already mentioned that..so nice try.....especially since you pick Gerrard as your fave. What did he do in WC 2006?. Oh yeah..walk with his hands on his hips against Portugal while Owen Hargreaves was shwoing the English squad waht quality is. Best Englis midfielder for Wc 2006 plays in the Bundesliga. What has Gerrard done for England in any big tournament? Nought. Don't get me worng..I think he is a top player, but you can't use a poor WC 2006 to dis Ronaldinho and then turn around and say you like Gerrard  ;)

As for the CL...Barcelona played 13 games to get to the final and all you could do is comment on the final. Sorry but the CL has a lot of big games besides the final..and Barca was not getting to the final without Ronaldinho even if he was quiet by his high standards...

Peace bredda...we disagree, but come with some real counterpoints next time  ;D :devil: :beermug:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bPcwVXV54jk

Filho, I on kicks bredda  :beermug:

I am not a football novice, I was actually at that match! I am a hard supporter of England, because it was a team I could relate to. In my archive is every world cup game caught on Film. I was at that Portugal/England game. I have tix to DC United also and my mother has given me tix to see the FA cup this year. I love this game, I cried when we lost in 1989 and when we made it to the WC2006.

Football is not dependant on your league, I play with some guys who think that The Argentinan league is better than all leagues for the fan support and the atmosphere. Italy for the flare, also spain for their skill. Did you see the Celta goal today, simply beautiful.

I like the EPL because that is what I grow up with, Did you remember those saturday games at 10am? I like the physicality of the EPL but that does not make it the best.

I am not a Ronaldhino fan, he still has to prove himself to me. He is brazilian, he does not have the skill that Garrincha posseses. Didi, Vava, Jarizhino, Revilino, Tostao. Carlos Alberto, Zico, Socrates etc.

He is no Zidane...! Madrid for me is the best team in the league. No doubt!

I only joking because this statement about EPL did you notice my other nonsensical comments.

Cheers bredda  :beermug:

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2007, 08:24:15 PM »
Filho, I on kicks bredda  :beermug:

I am not a football novice, I was actually at that match! I am a hard supporter of England, because it was a team I could relate to. In my archive is every world cup game caught on Film. I was at that Portugal/England game. I have tix to DC United also and my mother has given me tix to see the FA cup this year. I love this game, I cried when we lost in 1989 and when we made it to the WC2006.

Football is not dependant on your league, I play with some guys who think that The Argentinan league is better than all leagues for the fan support and the atmosphere. Italy for the flare, also spain for their skill. Did you see the Celta goal today, simply beautiful.

I like the EPL because that is what I grow up with, Did you remember those saturday games at 10am? I like the physicality of the EPL but that does not make it the best.

I am not a Ronaldhino fan, he still has to prove himself to me. He is brazilian, he does not have the skill that Garrincha posseses. Didi, Vava, Jarizhino, Revilino, Tostao. Carlos Alberto, Zico, Socrates etc.

He is no Zidane...! Madrid for me is the best team in the league. No doubt!

I only joking because this statement about EPL did you notice my other nonsensical comments.

Cheers bredda  :beermug:

cheers breds  :beermug: :beermug:

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2007, 08:39:39 PM »
Arsenal let down England

Arsenal let down England? England let down England !

T&T welcomes back...the King

1]; } ?>