April 19, 2024, 02:06:34 PM

Author Topic: USA - Champions of CONCACAF  (Read 4562 times)

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
USA - Champions of CONCACAF
« on: July 24, 2005, 05:54:17 PM »
U.S. beats Panama on penalty kicks to win Gold Cup

It took more than two hours, but the United States was finally able to secure the CONCACAF Gold Cup thanks to the left foot of Brad Davis.

Davis booted a low corner shot just past the outstretched arms of goalkeeper Jaime Penedo to secure a 3-1 victory on penalty kicks over Panama after the teams played a scoreless 120 minutes.

It is the third time that the U.S. has taken home the regional tournament, having won the inaugural Gold Cup in 1991 and again in 2002.

Panama, which won its quarterfinal match against South Africa on penalties, had trouble making shots from the spot in this one. Luis Tejada opened the penalty kick round by having his shot denied by U.S. goalkeeper Kasey Keller.

"We tried to go to school from their quarterfinal," Keller said. "Tejada went to the left in the quarterfinal, so I figured he'd go that way."

After Santino Quaranta connected in the Americans' first attempt, Jorge Valdes struck the post for the Panamanians but Chris Armas had his effort stopped by Penedo to keep the score 1-0. Panama's Felipe Baloy and Landon Donovan of the U.S. each hit their kicks, but Alberto Blanco sailed his kick into the stands to set up Davis' game-winning shot.

"I tried to get him to commit to one side or another but he didn't move until I took my last step," Davis said. "Thankfully it made it through the keeper, who had a really good tournament."

The Americans, who were guided by assistant Glenn Myernick because coach Bruce Arena was serving a red card suspension, had most of the scoring opportunities in the first half.

Jimmy Conrad missed an open tap in the 23rd minute and Clint Dempsey's header in the 38th was turned away by Penedo, who was named Goalkeeper of the Tournament.

Penedo also stopped DaMarcus Beasley in the 41st minute after the U.S. striker received an excellent headed pass from Josh Wolff, whose 44th-minute effort also was thwarted by the 23-year-old goalkeeper.

"I felt the pressure of the attack of the American team," Penedo said. "We defended them good and my defenders played well in front of me and helped me out a lot."

"I think both teams had chances to win the game," Myernick said. "Beasley gave our best shot, but both teams were poorly finishing today."

Even though the U.S. had the better run of play after halftime, Panama had the better chances to score. Angel Luis Rodriguez found Valdes open in front of the net, but the striker's attempt ricocheted off the left post in the 75th minute.

Valdes again was denied six minutes into the extra session when Keller dove to his right to stop the Panamanian's shot.

"We had our chances to win the game, but we just didn't finish putting the ball in the net," Panama coach Jose Hernandez said. "I didn't want to go to penalty kicks because of our rivals' keeper."

The U.S. had beaten Panama on the road in a World Cup qualifier on June 8, 3-0.

The Americans entered the game shorthanded after a physical struggle in their 2-1 semifinal win over Honduras. Pablo Mastroeni, Eddie Pope and Steve Ralston were all injured in the contest in part because of the rough play by Honduras, which won the Fair Play Award in the tournament.

Arena had been handed his red card for arguing that a foul should have been called on Honduras after Armas was the recipient of a hard tackle.

"We had a few players go down against the team that won the Fair Play, and the only red card issued was against the coach," Arena said after the final.

"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Re: USA - Champions of CONCACAF
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 06:12:15 PM »
well done by Panama holding usa for 120 min
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 06:47:33 PM »
"We tried to go to school from their quarterfinal," Keller said. "Tejada went to the left in the quarterfinal, so I figured he'd go that way."

Dem Yankees doh let nutten pass. No matter who de opposition is, dey go be studying dem.

"I didn't want to go to penalty kicks because of our rivals' keeper."

I eh see de game, but when ah hear it went tuh penalty kicks ah know Panama ass was grass. As a result of de coach's comments ah would say it was mental (which is ususally de ting wit penalties) because dey scored all of their penalties against South Africa.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 07:36:09 PM »
it was a really good match...Panama should have put away their chances.  Panama launch all sorts of attacks on the Americans.  To be fair, the Americans had a fair share of opportunities too...this match have me wondering if that is the same Panama we beat 2-0.  How many new players do they have? they have a new coach or something?  what happened? The journey looks harder for team t&t now, but as an older head in the forum pointed out to me - one or two results, or one tournament doesn't signify total change.

Offline EJA

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 08:00:56 PM »
 this is my first time on this site.ah just want to big up all who running it,well done
 I saw the extra time in de game and both teams played dey heart out, ah just hope we players  was looking at this game,because if we think panama is a walkover we better think again.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 09:10:04 PM »
It was an exciting and entertaining and all congrats to panama and usa on a fantastic match....I enjoyed it. The minute it was penalty kicks I said dais it for panama dey cyar win it. I said panama will either be 0 and 3, or 1 and 2 after the first three shots.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 02:13:57 AM »
Good to see that the USA had to work hard to win this tournament...Congrats to them! Ah hope Beenie Man watching plenty film from this Gold Cup..

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
US squeak past plucky Panama to strike gold
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 05:27:30 AM »
FIFA.com

The United States were made to struggle before grabbing hold of their third CONCACAF Gold Cup crown.  Stretched and harried for 120 minutes by inspired Cinderella finalists Panama, the hosts needed a penalty shootout to seal the deal after finishing extra time tangled at 0-0 in the final from New York.  Far from disgraced, the Central Americans put up a tremendous fight in what was their first major international final.

After a flurry of early, aimless pressure from the Americans, it was brave Panama that carved out the first clear chance.  Getting on the end of a classic counter-attack - a Canalero hallmark at this Gold Cup - Julio Medina III beat a hesitant Kasey keller to the ball.  But with the veteran keeper scurrying back, all Luis Tejada could do after collecting a deft pass was chip slightly high and wide from 16 yards.

The Central Americans continued to look dangerous. With a quarter-hour gone, the best chance the States - missing no less than six players through injury - could muster was a tame edge-of-the-box snapshot from new man Clint Dempsey. 

Two minutes later, Felipe Baloy snuck in and looked to have put brave Panama in front.  But a late flag from the assistant referee brought a quick end to the pandemonium in the stands.

Wherever suspended US head coach Bruce Arena was watching the first half, he must have been pulling his hair out as his heavy favourites struggled for form in their second match on the trot. Jimmy Conrad's woeful miscue when all alone at the far post with the keeper beaten in minute 24 seemed to speak volumes about the hosts' lack of confidence.

One of their best chances of the opening period came in the 38th minute when Dempsey again rose highest to snap a header from close range.  But as he has been throughout these finals, unknown keeper Jaime Penedo stretched out brilliantly to dive away the effort.  Soon after, he denied DaMarcus Beasley what looked odds-on a goal before trumping the best efforts of Josh Wolff.

The Panamanians continued to impress after the break and Tejada's wonderfully crafted overhead kick from 18 yards had Keller at panic stations to turn it round the post in minute 52.

As the half wore on the Americans began to flex their considerable muscle, looking finally to have located some semblance of rhythm. But time and again they could find no way past Penedo.

At the other end, the Panamanians went inches from winning it when Gabriel Gomez turned up woefully unmarked at the far post. But with the keeper beaten, all he could do was slam his close-ranger off the woodwork in minute 73.

Both sides had a hatful of golden opportunities as the clock ticked toward the 90. But with no luck in front of goal, the affair went to extra-time.

Mid-way through the first extra-time period, Jorge Luis Dely Valdes spurned a brilliant chance to put the Panamanians out in front.  After collecting the ball and rounding his marker in the box, only a last-gasp diving save from Keller kept his try from bulging the back of the net.

At the start of the second period, Beasley went close on a cross from the conspicuously uninspired Landon Donovan. But unable to reach the ball, the deadlock stood and penalties threatened.

After scoring all of their five kicks against South Africa in the quarter-final, the big-occasion nerves seemed to get the best of the upstarts.  Tejada and Dely Valdes both failed to convert their first two kicks. And after Allberto Blanco blew his try over the bar, newcomer Brad Davis stepped up to seal a third Gold Cup crown for the United States.

"I'm very proud of the team for winning this Gold Cup," said stand-in US coach Glenn Myernick. "This has been a very long and gruelling tournament and we did what we had to against a very tough opponent today."

Panama coach Jose 'Che Che' Hernandez was equally dignified in his post-match comments. "We lost to a great rival and a great team today," he said after seeing his Luis Tejada and Jaime Penedo named tournament best player and keeper respectively. "But throughout this competition we have represented Panama with honour and dignity and I am immensely proud of my team."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 07:45:57 AM »
Ah hate to say this, but If Panama continues to play with the passion and confidence that they displayed yesterday, we in real trouble!! 

With the tata we continuing to play, ah don't know.  I only hope we could bring our level of intensity and fire up to the level in which Panama playing with.

We talking 'bout goin' into Panama and winning....we go need some luck...

Well done Panama....

Arimian to meh heart

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 08:07:47 AM »
The only thing Panama have over us right now is SPEED!

The speed and unpredicatablilty is what cause trouble for USA.

Imagine the commentator said that the USA coaching staff has seen every panama game for the past two years. So no doubt they have seen all the TT games as well.

All Panama chances were counter attacks or when a player rinse one of the USA defenders.

The game was entertaining but it look like both teams watch the Stern John throwaway 101 video before stepping on to the field.

I was pleased because the game showed USA can be beaten. I not worried about Panama either, because they have to play Guat, CR and MEx before they play us. They playing Mex in Mex just before us and by that time TT will have qualification in sight or we will be out. The same will go for Panama.

We must have at least 4 points under our belt by the time we face Panama again.

What in my layman and limited football knowledge can suggest is that TRAP and Falldown(not screen) combo upfront has to go for us to be effective.

We could keep Trap or move him to the midfield, but Falldown have to go to the bench and we need a speedman such as Sealy, Glen, Samuel or even Scotland to run at defenders. Let us hope Carlos is fit and able to tear them on the wing.

We have to stop playing this tactical chessgame and start back playing football....where running and speed is a big component. 

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Hyperhot J

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 08:40:56 AM »
   I could not agree with you more Touches.

Jason.
"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power." 

Cassius told Brutus in Julius Caesar by Shakespeare

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2005, 08:52:00 AM »
Touches and Hypershot, allyuh fellas for real?

I agree with you that Panama does possess speed, which gave the US fits.  But to say that is all they have on us...I totally disagree.

Panama is playing very well.  They have good touches and I am not buying the counter attacking nonsense.  A number of their opportunities were well built.  In addition give them credit for following through on their game plan.

Let's look at things objectively and realize, as we stand today, that Panama is a better "team" than us.

Arimian to meh heart

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2005, 08:53:38 AM »
The only thing Panama have over us right now is SPEED!

The speed and unpredicatablilty is what cause trouble for USA.

Imagine the commentator said that the USA coaching staff has seen every panama game for the past two years. So no doubt they have seen all the TT games as well.

All Panama chances were counter attacks or when a player rinse one of the USA defenders.

The game was entertaining but it look like both teams watch the Stern John throwaway 101 video before stepping on to the field.

I was pleased because the game showed USA can be beaten. I not worried about Panama either, because they have to play Guat, CR and MEx before they play us. They playing Mex in Mex just before us and by that time TT will have qualification in sight or we will be out. The same will go for Panama.

We must have at least 4 points under our belt by the time we face Panama again.

What in my layman and limited football knowledge can suggest is that TRAP and Falldown(not screen) combo upfront has to go for us to be effective.

We could keep Trap or move him to the midfield, but Falldown have to go to the bench and we need a speedman such as Sealy, Glen, Samuel or even Scotland to run at defenders. Let us hope Carlos is fit and able to tear them on the wing.

We have to stop playing this tactical chessgame and start back playing football....where running and speed is a big component. 

What about desire Touches??? Panama are a hungry team playing for recognition and a passion to be successful.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2005, 09:54:29 AM »
Ok maybe they have some more fight than us....but try and remember is a final they was playing in! That alone have you pumped up.

I have to give them credit for making the final and for playing a good game.

But I still ent find they good, no national pride or anything or because they are our rivals.

To me it seems they just running wild on the field and is a kinda play and hope something will happen. Its the speed and unpredictablility that is their adv as when they get the ball they running at you but I ent know they still ent cutting it in my books.

One goal woulda change that game and USA carve them open a few times. Its just Beasely didnt convert.

Any team that runs at the USA will give them problems, its just most teams tend to give them respect and sit back which is where USA is dangerous.

Really did panama stroke any ball around the park, play any crosses from the wing or make any really big plays?
It was a center run up and bore tru and try to play on the counter when the USA push the backline up the the half line.

When Panama had their chances it was always on a moment of brilliance from tejada or dely valdez.

Also they have to thank their keeper.....who was the MVP for their team.

Lets not worry about Panama for now. Because their next game against Guat is important for them. For us we want a draw in that result coupled with a draw vs the US.

TT is better than Panama, Guat, and CR. Its just we have to get it right on game day.

Canada win a gold cup and went nowhere collecting 2 and 4 from us....doe let this lil run of form mean anything.
When we had our lil run of form we end up last in the hex.

They going and have a month to cool off, other teams going and prepare as well, lets just sit back and watch the battles unfold.

I hope I could eat my words......and I am one of the most optimistic and hopeful fellas here. But I ent think we could pull off a win vs the US.

I hoping we draw the game and keep the one point we starting off with. Or if we lose that it will not be more than by 1 goal.

If we do manage to pull it off it will be the biggest bonus we get for this campaign but the real work is against Guat and CR.

Player for Player the US better than us.......it may be hard for some of you to admit but it is true. Also in terms of fitness, technique and speed they beating us bad in each dept. This is not the same US team we had to heng in the oval ash wed.
Andrews is the only man on par with them. I will not mention Yorke because when he was in his prime he was schooled and mannersed like a little boy by shithounds such as Agoos,balboa etc. Plus they have done their research on us and know every beat he and Fallguy have.

Sorry to get side tracked there back to the Panama response......

Also I am not basing this assessment I have of panama on the USA game alone. This is from watching a few of the gold cup games. Remember they lost to Honduras. In the first Colombia game I find they were lucky to win, because Colombia just couldnt score and were  dominating them and lastly this fact........TT play shit vs Panama and still draw with them 2-2.
We ent do nuttin positive going fwd, our best player for the night was our last stopper, with a goal and a header off the bar and still Panama never look like they were dangerous or were dominating us in anyway...even doe we play real shit.
It take  2 defense error for them to score......they didnt create nuttin.

I happy for them and I will give them credit for reaching the finals but I still maintain the view that they ent ready.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 09:58:50 AM by Touches »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline sting_pana

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2005, 10:17:34 AM »
Thanks everybody!

We are witing for YOU in Panama!

Can u fellas beat us?

Offline JERSEY TRINI

• trotty
  • Hero Warrior
  • without god life just doesn't make sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2005, 10:22:48 AM »
Touches i agree with you on that point...I don't think that Panama ready for Trinidad when we come to play.  I saw the same games you did and I thought the samething about their play, mind you they did play with alot of energy in the final but like you said it's a final.  And Sting_Pana don't worry we comin for allyuh and is "goal from left side, goal from the right side and if they score yuh know it's a offside"  lol remember that....

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2005, 10:31:25 AM »
And Sting_Pana don't worry we comin for allyuh and is "goal!!! from left side, goal!!! from the right side, goal!!!, from de inside...... and if they score yuh know it's a offside"  lol remember that....

BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG TUNE!!!! (ah had tuh do al lil alteration though)... ;D
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline JERSEY TRINI

• trotty
  • Hero Warrior
  • without god life just doesn't make sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2005, 10:35:29 AM »
Thanks dey man Sammy... ah wonder if anybody remember the rest of the song boy?

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2005, 10:40:51 AM »
Glad to see yuh not hiding this time Pana. You have every right to be proud of your team's performance in the Gold Cup.
And to answer your question as to whether or not we can beat your team at our next WCQ meeting...my answer is an infallible yes! It may not be easy but it could happen.
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2005, 10:45:49 AM »
I agree with Touches Panama is very similar t our team. The one advantage they have is the speed up front. This can can be neutralised with good tactics. Our players are just as good as theirs we can and will beat them in Panama City

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2005, 11:38:00 AM »
Player for player, we are better than Panama.   Team wise, different story.  We doh even look like we have no semblence of organization. 

Again, is on thing to be a supporter is another to be objective.  Right now we being supporters and not being objective.

Panama is a better team that T&T as things stand TODAY

Arimian to meh heart

1]; } ?>