April 29, 2024, 08:42:39 AM

Author Topic: Bermuda Launches Pro League.........  (Read 6441 times)

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bermuda Launches Pro League.........
« on: February 27, 2007, 10:21:58 PM »

Bermuda Sun:

Pro league to launch with dramatic Superdraft Saturday

The 120 players who will make up Bermuda's first ever 'professional' league will be selected tomorrow night in an American style 'superdraft' at Spinning Wheel.

The eight Island Soccer League coaches will take turns to pick from a list of all those signed up, as the players anxiously look on waiting to see if they make the cut.

Each coach must pick 12 players and three alternates to fill out the squads of the eight teams that will form the six-a-side league.

The players had a last chance to impress the coaches at the ISL combine on Tuesday and Wednesday this week (see pg 63). Now it's crunch time.

"I'm taking my wife to the draft. That way I've got a shoulder to cry on if I don't get picked," said Somerset Extros' Rodney Bascome, voicing the apprehension that will linger in the back of every player's mind until they hear their name called by one of the coaches.

"People haven't just come out for a runaround they want to be part of this. They'll be a lot of guys upset if they don't get picked.

"I'll be upset, too, if I don't make it, that's why I'm taking my wife.

"So take your girlfriend, take your wife, take your tissues, have a drink ready if that's what you need, because we can't all make it."

With 200 players in the pool, at least eighty won't make it. So expect the tension to increase as the night goes on and the places disappear.

"It's going to be tense, it's going to be exciting," said David Bascome. the league's commissioner.

Though the league is described as 'professional' the players will not receive wages. But they will be playing for prize money of up to $40,000 and if successful, could end the 11-game season $2,000 richer.

And Bascome wants everything about the league to be 'professional' with the players expected to sign autographs and make public appearances on behalf of the league.

The professional attitude will extend to Saturday night's super draft with a strict no jeans, no sneakers policy in place for the event.

"This is the first chance for the fans and the players to see what this whole league is all about," he added.

"This is a historical moment. It's the first draft for the first ever pro league in Bermuda."

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Bermuda Launches Pro League.........
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 11:13:42 PM »
Spinning Wheel ... daz de Bermie lick ...

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 11:25:42 PM »
This is a semi pro league. Lol man not getting paid and they calling it Professional.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 11:26:34 PM »
Well yuh have to start somewhere. Good luck to them.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 12:00:28 AM »
This is a semi pro league. Lol man not getting paid and they calling it Professional.

Porfessionalism is an attitude. Being a professional is a mental thing. It ain't have much to do with getting paid.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 12:15:12 AM »

Porfessionalism is an attitude. Being a professional is a mental thing. It ain't have much to do with getting paid.

Kingman

True that. Dwight talked about it in his interview when leaving Sydney. Excuse my ignorant comments.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 01:20:34 AM »
sound like de milo league in de savannah
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 07:22:07 AM »
Well yuh have to start somewhere. Good luck to them.

So true. 

Don't forget they also have a Division 2 team in the USL this year.  This new league will act as a perfect talent base for the Hogges. 

Bermuda's national team is currently better prepared than Canada.  This month they have played 2 exhibition matches vs MLS teams and they will play Canada in less than a month. 

Nice to see some of CONCACAF's smaller nations getting their act together.

Now that they have eliminated the guerst teams from the Gold Cup,  these smaller nations suddenly have somnething to play for.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 08:47:07 AM by Winnipeg Fury »

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 08:24:19 AM »
somebody hook meh up with ah trial nah.....any over 40 teams???.....jess want ah car and a beach house
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 08:27:47 AM »
ALL de best Bermuda!!

Jah! After T&T dat lil island have some of the prettiest women ah ever see in meh life!!!!!!!!
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline samwise

• New Warrior
  • 'drink-gerls-feck...words of wisdom from Jack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 09:55:25 AM »
Dah Bermuda rock hard like. The men there are hot stuff.  :)
.......ive got some hot stuff for all ya's...

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 10:20:39 AM »

I remember the last time Canada played Bermuda at Swangard (Vancouver) during World Cup Qualifying ? It was back in the early 90's, and it was one of the most memorable games I have seen Canada play.

Alex Bunbury (who was with West Ham at the time) scored a first-half hat-trick, then Bermuda led by Goater (who was with Rotherham) and Lightbourne (both fantastic Engish pro's) countered with 2 second half goals.

Bermuda were pressing and were only down by a goal, when Canada came back and scored the decisive 4th goal.

I have nothing but respect for Bermuda since that time.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 02:29:08 PM »
Bermuda's finest moment was 1967 in the PANAM games. They with Clyde Best beat an overconfident T&T team. T&T won the bronze. Mex won Gold.

Offline #8

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 05:09:40 PM »
listen out for de name Domico Coddington..providing he doh ketch whatever it is Dwarika etc suffering from mentally..he wiil be a big one for them(Bermuda) or one of de brightest talents to come from that island..

Big Up to Bermuda and their league.

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 05:48:10 PM »

Apex scoop up former Soca Warrior

Marlon Rojas top pick in Saturday’s Island Soccer League Superdraft

A former Trinidad international who helped the Soca Warriors qualify for the World Cup was the surprise top pick at Saturday's Island Soccer League Superdraft.

Marlon Rojas, a defender who also played in the American MLS with Real Salt Lake and more recently with John Barry Nusum's former USL side Atlanta Silverbacks, was snapped up by Apex as the first choice of the night.

Rojas, a relative unknown in Bermuda football circles, quit the pro scene eight months ago and moved to the island where he has been flying under the radar at Somerset Eagles.

But his experience and ability was not lost on coaches Jean Gibbons and Jeremy Salaam who made him their top pick.

In a night of nervous tension to rival an episode of American Idol, the eight coaches of David Bascome's new six-a-side league took turns to select from a draft list of 200 players.

By the end of the night the squads that will make up the Island Soccer League - a mix of Premier, First Division and Commercial players - had been selected.

Arsenal coach Nick Jones made Paget striker Travis Wilkinson his first pick, Kings coach John Rebelo's Kings took Dion Stovell (SCC), Cymande Davis was the top pick for Ray Jones and Knights, Dennis Brown took Jemeiko Jennings for the Royal, Omar Shakir was the first pick for Andrew Bascome and the Storm, while Herbie Bascome's the Titans took Conneko Trott.

In all each team has 12 players with three alternates.

They will play for a top prize of approximately $40,000 when the season gets under way in April, in what promises to be a crowd pleasing spectacle of short sided, small pitch football.

Rojas, 27, said he hoped his pro experience could help his team challenge for the title.

"I was in the Trinidad team until just before we sealed qualification. Towards the end, when I was not involved with the further development with the World Cup, I made a decision to myself that I was going to move away from it.

"It's quite up and down as an athlete. One time I could be making money the next I'd be hitting some bumpy periods."

While his former Trini teammates were capturing the world's imagination in Germany, Rojas played out the USL season with the Silverbacks and then moved to Bermuda where he has 'settled down', doing marketing for Telford Electric.

But he insisted he still wanted to play at a high level.

"For me, it's fun. I play every chance I get. I'm looking forward to it. I expect it to be more intense than the full-sided game.

"It requires a lot of skill to play on a small field and hopefully boys can step up a bit. In the First Division and the Premier Division, guys lack the ability to play simple. In the smaller sided game that is the way you have to play - simple, yet skilful."

Rojas hopes to be able to offer his team, which also includes Vernon Tankard, Wolde Place and Colin Keane, the benefit of his experience.

"I see myself as being one of the better, more experienced players around. I haven't had a chance to see who is on my team yet but I expect to help them, regardless."

Saleem, one of Rojas' coaches at Apex, said he had heard good things about Rojas and had been keen to get in there first and snap him up before any of the other coaches.

"I kept my little ears and my little eyes to the ground, somebody alerted me to check him out and I think it was worth the pick.

"I was sold on him for weeks and was considering him for my first or second pick, then I heard his name come up a few times at the combine and that sealed it for me. I had to get in there before the other coaches."

Saleem and fellow coach Jean Gibbons didn't have it all their own way, though, missing out on a few players they had penciled in.

"I had to make a few adjustments when people I was interested in got picked up by other coaches, but we obviously had a plan B for that."

Saleem said he had been contacting the players in his team and couldn't wait for the league to get started.

"They're ready to go. Their only question to me was when do we get started?" The official answer, says league commissioner David Bascome, is May 15 when the first games of the league will be held at the National Centre.

But the players will be asked to attend a training camp a month prior to the big kick off on April 16.

"The teams have been picked and now it's down to the coaches," said Bascome

"There's a lot of pressure on them. You can pick all the players you want, but now it's about the style you want to play, teaching them how to play zone defences, adapting to the small-sided game."

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2007, 05:53:42 PM »
listen out for de name Domico Coddington..providing he doh ketch whatever it is Dwarika etc suffering from mentally..he wiil be a big one for them(Bermuda) or one of de brightest talents to come from that island..

Big Up to Bermuda and their league.

Domico is with the Kings....

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 07:21:30 AM »
So Bermuda have an amateur small goal league.

No money to be paid unless you win. And all that style?

Hmmm, dem fellas better of in the TT Super League.

If this is a step forward for Bermuda, lord help them.

Dey infrastructure must have been damn shitty b4.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 07:29:36 AM »
So Bermuda have an amateur small goal league.

No money to be paid unless you win. And all that style?

Hmmm, dem fellas better of in the TT Super League.

If this is a step forward for Bermuda, lord help them.

Dey infrastructure must have been damn shitty b4.

VB

Their infrastructure was as bad as most countries in the Caribbean.  With the introduction of the USL and development of this local sem-pro league, they are probably ahead of most of their larger counterparts.  Considering their small size, they may have a better set-up than Haiti, St Vincent, and Cuba.

USL expands to Bermuda
Bermuda side to play in USL Second Division
USL News Release

Thursday, September 14, 2006

TAMPA, FL – United Soccer Leagues announced Thursday that it has added a USL Second Division franchise in Bermuda set to begin play in the 2007 season. The addition of Bermuda expands USL’s footprint to four federations with teams currently playing in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico pending the expected approvals of the Bermuda Football Association and CONCACAF.

"The expansion of the USL Second Division into Bermuda is a significant event in the continued growth of USL as a leader in the development of North American soccer,” said USL Vice President Tim Holt.

The Bermuda squad, to be named at a later date, will be comprised primarily of players from the Bermuda National Team which currently ranks 163rd in the FIFA world rankings, serving as a developmental team to raise the quality of play amongst the players.

“Having a professional club team from Bermuda competing against teams from the US on a regular basis is part of an overall plan to improve the standard of football in Bermuda and to improve the competitiveness of the Bermuda National Team,” said co-owner Shaun Goater, arguably one of the best player’s in Bermuda history. “We see a USL team as providing the core of the BNT and would give Bermuda youth a realistic opportunity to play football at the professional level.”

Current professionals from Bermuda include Khano Smith (New England Revolution), John Barry Nusum (Virginia Beach Mariners) and David Bascome (Baltimore Blast).

The founding ownership of the Bermuda franchise is comprised of former English Premier League players Shaun Goater and Kyle Lightbourne, head coach of the BNT, along with successful local businessman Paul Scope, the former head coach of the Bermuda Women’s. Goater has recently concluded a successful professional and international career that included 32 goals in 36 caps for Bermuda and 103 goals in six seasons at Manchester City from 1997-2003 (full bio). Scope also serves as an assistant to the men’s national team and is involved with the U-20 program that is trying to qualify for the FIFA World Championship in Canada next summer.

Scope’s business background is centered around a respected international insurance and reinsurance brokerage that has offices in Bermuda, Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, Toronto San Diego and London.

“Collectively, Paul, Shaun, and Kyle possess the necessary skills and abilities to ensure that a competitive team will be put on the field and, just as importantly, that a first-class organization will be established that is active within the soccer and business communities,” said Holt.

The expansion side will play at the National Stadium located in Prospect, which is just outside the capital of Hamilton. The stadium has a capacity of 10,000 and has a field that is known as ‘the carpet’ because of its superb surface and condition. The stadium also features the adjacent National Sports Centre, which also has two full-sized fields.

Located due east of Charlotte, North Carolina, Bermuda is a grouping of hundreds of islands with seven main islands linked by a series of causeways and bridges and is a self-governing British Colony. Bermuda is known for its affluence, boasting one of the highest Gross National Products in the world and full employment among its population of 70,000.

“We learned a lot from the addition of Puerto Rico in the USL First Division as it relates to the unique opportunities and challenges of having a franchise located outside of the continental body of North America. USL and the ownership of the Bermuda franchise are well aware of those challenges and we pleased at their level of commitment in assisting fellow members of the USL Second Division in the areas of travel and accommodation.”

“For a relatively small country, Bermuda produces a disproportionate share of international-quality players and the establishment of a USL professional team will provide a top-level competitive outlet for the country’s elite players,” added Holt. “We believe the team will be very competitive in the USL Second Division given the recent success of the Puerto Rico Islanders in the USL First Division.”

Puerto Rico, which ranks below Bermuda at 192 in the FIFA World Rankings, just saw the Islanders reach the USL First Division playoffs in their third season in the league.

Offline Toussaint

• Hero Warrior
  • ...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.
    • View Profile
    • Haiti Spors
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 09:05:24 AM »
Better set-up than Haiti?

Bermuda may build new and better facilities, but they will still have to play catch up for a little bit as I don't see these happening in their football any time soon:

However, they are going in the right direction. Good luck to them.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 09:10:25 AM by Toussaint »
...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2007, 10:46:16 AM »
wow that look nice toussaint....  a football specfic stadium ... nice fan support... is that just a normal game league or a big knock out game toussaint? ... l

ook at the pitch lord this is haiti toussaint..... :applause:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2007, 11:02:01 AM »
The top pic is Harbour view vs Haitian club champions...played in Haiti.
the condition of the pitch in that top photo is....world class.

Offline Toussaint

• Hero Warrior
  • ...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.
    • View Profile
    • Haiti Spors
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2007, 01:18:23 PM »
wow that look nice toussaint....  a football specfic stadium ... nice fan support... is that just a normal game league or a big knock out game toussaint? ... l

Well, that's what we have left of the famous Stade Sylvio Cator. Many clubs like Baltimore and Cavaly have their own facilities.

The last two pictures were taken during the derby Violette AC (white and blue) vs Racing CH (yelow and blue) last week. Unfortunately, a disappointing 4 to 5 thousands people only showed up for the match. The officials are still trying to figure out what caused that low turnout. In Haiti, it's not unusual to see tens of thousands of people in these games.

...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2007, 02:03:59 PM »

Well, that's what we have left of the famous Stade Sylvio Cator. Many clubs like Baltimore and Cavaly have their own facilities.

The last two pictures were taken during the derby Violette AC (white and blue) vs Racing CH (yelow and blue) last week. Unfortunately, a disappointing 4 to 5 thousands people only showed up for the match. The officials are still trying to figure out what caused that low turnout. In Haiti, it's not unusual to see tens of thousands of people in these games.

4-5000 a low turn out fuh a regular game yes oh yes 10,000 lord have mercy well yes that is fan support    ...... imagine the turn out had that haitian club won the cfu cup and was to play chivas..... yes and yuh right world class grounds dat rf
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Fantastic

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2007, 07:56:32 PM »
A Trini was dey # 1 pick!!  Things looking nice with de league though, even though allyuh say men not getting paid unless dey win. Nice women, nice ball, lime like dirt. Cyah beat that. Allyuh look into it some more and maybe even think bout making a trip cross dey. 
Doh loss yuh head boss

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2007, 10:01:49 PM »
So Trinis in action go include Bermuda now.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2007, 08:29:08 AM »
Some of you guys is some real kant!!! You guys have a problem with every league. If you play 2nd division in Scotland, 3rd division in Sweden, MLS or A-League that is a low level in you guy eyes. The fact of the matter is that our league (PFL), in essence, is a semi-professional league. This is the way many other coaches (domestic and international) view it. We aint much better than those other leagues in the first place but yet we choose to open we kant and talk shit!! So what if Bermuda launch a small league? I am sure if Bermuda play T&T they going to give us a run and all them players playing in that same league you guys bad talking. So what that saying about our league?

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

1]; } ?>