April 27, 2024, 10:59:20 PM

Author Topic: Canadians kick off 2007 MLS season.....  (Read 4156 times)

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Canadians kick off 2007 MLS season.....
« on: April 11, 2007, 08:15:57 AM »

Not sure why Kevin Harmse did not play for the LA Galaxy:

Canadians kick off 2007 MLS season

Canadian national-team program players were a big part of the 2007 Major League Soccer opening weekend. Nine Canucks played over the weekend, including five in Toronto FC’s inaugural match against CD Chivas USA.

Toronto FC, the first Canadian club in the MLS’s 12-year history, lost 0:2 to CD Chivas on Saturday night. Ante Razov, an original MLS player with the Los Angeles Galaxy in 1996, scored the first-ever goal against Toronto FC. Sacha Kljestan scored CD Chivas USA’s second goal.

Included in Toronto FC’s original starting XI were Canadians Greg Sutton, Jim Brennan (captain), Marco Reda and Miguel Canizalez. Adam Braz came on as a substitute in the second half.

In other MLS action, three Canadians were on the pitch for the 0:0 draw between the Galaxy and defending-champion Houston Dynamo. Ante Jazic started for the Galaxy while goalkeeper Pat Onstad and 2006 Canadian Player of the Year Dwayne De Rosario started for the Dynamo. In the 2:2 draw between Real Salt Lake and FC Dallas, Jack Stewart started for Real Salt Lake.

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Canadians kick off 2007 MLS season.....
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 08:39:49 AM »
hey Fury did you hear Forrest was practicing with FC Toronto
it was on the sportsnet soccer home page

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 08:43:52 AM »

um why he eh stick to reporting..lol...wah he tyring to do... he feel is he dragon  :devil: :devil:
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 08:44:51 AM »
Conell Glen should try out for this team

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 08:45:33 AM »

um why he eh stick to reporting..lol...wah he tyring to do... he feel is he dragon  :devil: :devil:

lol dragon should have gorn studs up into he backside if he saw him dere

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article.jsp?content=20070410_135710_5052

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 08:48:18 AM »

lol dragon should have gorn studs up into he backside if he saw him dere

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article.jsp?content=20070410_135710_5052
ah know golies does play longer but how old is he now 40?? lol y he eh behave he self he go thorw he back out
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 08:49:56 AM »

What? :devil: :rotfl: :beermug:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 08:50:31 AM »
i just looked it up, 40 this fall

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 08:59:33 AM »
Dat man is ah jacka** ::) ::) :o :o :o.  As I was telling Hoe, when ah watch dey game de oder day dem men look like kids kicking around in ah park or something.  Dey didn't look like ah team at all, and I blame the coach for not pickin a good side.  De tryouts were messed up and ah kinda vex dat de coaches didn't do better.  Now tell me how de a** yu go have 6 strikers and 2 defenders 1 mid on ah 9 man tryout team.  And outta dat is 3 ppl dat know what dey doing (Yes dat is including me).  Anyway better dem men dan me and ah doh think Glenn should try for dat team, it go be pain for Toronto FC dis year. :devil: :beermug: :rotfl:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 10:24:42 AM »

Toronto FC will be one of the success stories of MLS.  They already have more (14,000) season ticket holders than any other MLS franchise, and they could have easily had more, but decided to cap the season-tickets so they could have some walk-up tickets. 

Every game is expected to sell-out.

What is more important, is that Canada now has a significant presence in the league, which means that more Canadians will now be playing at a competitive level.  In a couple of years, at least one more Canadian team will be in the league, possibly two (Vanocuver and Montreal).  Again, that will translate to more Canadians playing at an elite level.

I will be attending the May 11 Canada U-20 vs Argentina U-20 exhibition at BMO Field and the May 12 Toronto FC vs Chicago Fire game.  Both games are sold-out (20,000).

« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 10:29:57 AM by Winnipeg Fury »

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 10:28:13 AM »
what abowwwt hockey?

isn't it better than soccer ehhh?

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 11:22:15 AM »
what abowwwt hockey?

Funny you should mention that, as our women defeated the USA yesterday in Winnipeg, to win the World Hockey Championship.   :)

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 08:22:52 AM »

CBC goes big with TFC

All games will be televised
By DEAN McNULTY -- Sun Media

Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment COO Tom Anselmi liked the idea that with CBC the Toronto FC would get coast-to-coast exposure over the airwaves. (Sun File/Greg Henkenhaf)

Toronto FC, already a hit at the box office, yesterday won a deal with CBC that completes a broadcast package that will see all of the team's remaining Major League Soccer matches on television this season.

The agreement with Canada's national broadcaster consists of 14 regular-season TFC games, including the expansion club's home opener on April 28 at BMO Field.

The deal also gives CBC exclusive Canadian broadcast rights to this season's MLS playoffs, the league's all-star game and the MLS Cup final.

The contract with the Toronto franchise marks the third big soccer package CBC has landed in the past year.

It earlier out-bid rivals for the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa and will be the host broadcaster for the FIFA under-20 World Cup from June 30 to July 22 this year at venues across Canada, including Toronto.

Tom Anselmi, chief operating officer at TFC's parent Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd., liked the idea that with CBC the team would get coast-to-coast exposure over the airwaves.

"Our expansion deal with MLS gave us national broadcast rights in Canada," Anselmi said. "So when CBC stepped up it competes our package, where all 30 games will be on television in Canada."

Anselmi said that the televsion package combined with the team's sell out of season tickets is not all that surprsing.

"We thought it might take longer to achieve the kinds of successes we have," he said. "Our timing was good. There was still lots of soccer fever left from the 2006 World Cup and then Canada gets awarded the under-20 World Cup -- all in the past two years -- so the timing was good for us."

CBC sports boss Scott Moore said he hopes that providing TFC matches across the network would help grow the game in Canada.

"We were clear when we announced our agreement with FIFA last fall that CBC is committed to helping to grow the game in Canada," Moore said.

"Coverage of the first Canadian team in Major League Soccer history is an important part of that."

CBC also gets an option to broadcasts additional TFC games in 2008, 2009 and 2010.

The games that are not on CBC will be broadcast by either Rogers Sportsnet or The Score.

While CBC has yet to announce its broadcast team, Sportsnet's coverage will be led by television sports veteran Gerry Dobson and former Canadian national team player Craig Forest.

"Sportsnet's coverage of Toronto FC is consistent with our 'Home Team First' philosophy," said Rogers Sportsnet president Doug Beeforth.

"Gerry Dobson and Craig Forrest, two of the most accomplished soccer announcers in Canada, are sure to make every FC game on Sportsnet even more entertaining for the viewers."

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 08:41:36 AM »
I saw the clips of Craig Forrest in goal  ;D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 09:19:55 AM »

:applause:  finally that imposta will be off my sat morning tv. Between he and gerry dobson I eh know who more dotish. (almost as bad as that clown on espn soccer) Wuss when Canada playing anyone.. they does find so much effing fault in the odda team..doh talk bout hating on refs!

Good luck Craig.. the one seed wonder!

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 09:28:16 AM »
Probably a  stunt for more media attention to the team, would be my guess  ::)
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 10:03:16 AM »
during the interview he sort of hinted that he was not serious about keeping
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 12:11:04 PM »
during the interview he sort of hinted that he was not serious about keeping

Forrest unlikely to comeback with Toronto FC
By NEIL DAVIDSON

TORONTO (CP) - Despite working out with the team this week, former Canadian national team goalie Craig Forrest says it's unlikely he'll join Toronto FC.

The 39-year-old Forrest, due to be inducted into the Canadian Soccer Hall of Fame next month, trained with the expansion MLS team on Tuesday. Toronto coach Mo Johnston is looking for some experience to back up current Canadian international 'keeper Greg Sutton.

So Johnston turned to Forrest, who retired in 2002 after beating testicular cancer.

Forrest said his workout at BMO Field was fun, despite tweaking a calf.

"Nothing too severe. Probably a combination of a dry pitch (and) not training for three years," Forrest said with a laugh.

"All things said and done, it actually felt a lot better than I thought it would."

But Forrest said the runout was probably a one-off given his current broadcasting duties with Rogers Sportsnet.

"Of course, my heart's telling me it would be an awesome thing to be involved with. But realistically, is it the right thing to do?"

Probably not since he can't be both on the bench and in the broadcast booth, Forrest noted.

Still, he says Toronto FC was serious in asking him to work out.

"There's an interest there," Forrest said of Toronto FC. "Mo knows that it's a good fit."

Forrest is an attractive option because he has experience, is Canadian and comes as a free transfer. Toronto FC also has little cover for Sutton.

"There's concern ... that if Greg gets injured, there's not a lot of experience," Forrest said.

The current No. 2 is 22-year-old Tomer Chencinski of Thornhill, Ont., who is fresh out of college at Fairleigh Dickinson.

Toronto had American goalie Jon Busch in camp but released him, wanting to use the import slot for an outfield player.

Johnston had talked to Forrest weeks ago about possibly suiting up, then brought it up again last weekend while Forrest was in California to broadcast Toronto's season opener against Chivas USA.

"He goes 'What are you doing Tuesday?"' Forrest recalled.

Playing goal at 39 is by no means unprecedented. Pat Onstad, another former Canadian international, is 39 and starts for the defending MLS champion Houston Dynamo.

Forrest's main concern is his broadcasting career, which he has built up since retiring in 2002. The MLS salary cap would also probably offer little reward for a backup goalie.

"There's no future in football as far as I'm concerned playing at 39," Forrest conceded. "Two years, three years on the bench, perhaps if I got back to full fitness, I could do that. I don't think I could maintain a long stretch of times (playing) in games. But who's to say."

Forrest said he would love to keep training with the club "even as just a supporter of the team," if Johnston thought it would help.

"I would be more than happy to be involved in whatever way I can," he said.

He also has nothing but good things to say about the Toronto FC players - "all the guys are brilliant."

Forest, a Gumby-like six-foot-five 'keeper who left Canada at 16 to play in England, spent 14 seasons with Ipswich before joining Chelsea briefly and then finishing his career with five seasons at West Ham. He earned 56 caps for Canada between 1988 and 2001 and still holds the national team record for shutouts with 19.

In 2000 at the Gold Cup in California, Forrest posted shutouts in three of five games as Canada won the championship of CONCACAF, which covers North and Central America and the Caribbean. He was named tournament MVP and top goalie.

Canada's reward for winning the Gold Cup included a trip to Japan for the Confederations Cups, where Forrest turned heads by blanking Brazil in an acrobatic display at Kashima.

Notes: Real Salt Lake forward Jeff Cunningham is the MLS player of the week after scoring twice in a 2-2 tie with FC Dallas ... The Montreal Impact have acquired Montreal forward Sita-Taty Matondo from the Vancouver Whitecaps for American forward Jason McLaughlin.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 10:21:18 PM »

:applause:  finally that imposta will be off my sat morning tv. Between he and gerry dobson I eh know who more dotish. (almost as bad as that clown on espn soccer) Wuss when Canada playing anyone.. they does find so much effing fault in the odda team..doh talk bout hating on refs!

Good luck Craig.. the one seed wonder!

Craig Forrest not bad - he does say some disagreeable things sometimes but yuh can't expect him to be 100% ideal

Allyuh remember Carl Fletcher? From either TSN or Sportsnet...I swear de man is a half-wit....always stating de obvious

de best was when he bawl: "they lost because they didn't win"

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2007, 05:15:23 AM »
what abowwwt hockey?

Funny you should mention that, as our women defeated the USA yesterday in Winnipeg, to win the World Hockey Championship.   :)

When yuh say our women are you refering to trini women,could you be more specific if possible.

Thanks.............. 

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2007, 05:45:42 AM »
what abowwwt hockey?

When yuh say our women are you refering to trini women,could you be more specific if possible.

Thanks.............. 

I'm sorry if I confused you.   I did not realize the Trini women had an international hockey team.   :)

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2007, 05:48:48 AM »

I expected Kevin Harmse to start in the first game for the LA Galaxy, as he had played in every pre-season match.

Harmse entered the game last night at the 46 minute for LA, as they lost to Dallas 2-1.  Jazic played 90 for LA.

1]; } ?>