April 29, 2024, 05:13:02 AM

Author Topic: Carlos Edwards v Jermaine Pennant?  (Read 3781 times)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Carlos Edwards v Jermaine Pennant?
« on: April 07, 2007, 10:54:16 AM »
As I continue to watch Liverpool's games, Jermaine  Pennant's poweress up the wings and his moves with th ball reminds me of Carlos Edwards. The players, are similar in stature and seems to have  similar styles. What is the concensus out there in regards to the comparison of these two players?

Anyone think that it would not be long before we see Edwards in the EPL aganist Pennant?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 11:14:32 AM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Carlos Edwards v Jermaine Pennant?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 11:01:29 AM »
using my expertise am guaranteeing he would be there next season . ;)

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 11:09:25 AM »
Edwards will destroy Pennant (though he is one of my fav players).

Edwards is ah Trini and a former Army man, nuff said!  ;D

Offline lp

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 11:12:24 AM »
I'm not a betting man, but,

NEXT SEASON

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 12:20:06 PM »
one glaring difference is that Pennant is a drunk driving thug.....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 12:57:24 PM »
Personal fralities aside, are there merits to a comparison in terms of skills and abilities?

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 12:58:21 PM »
The real question is: Who have the tighter 'fro?
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 02:30:10 PM »
The real question is: Who have the tighter 'fro?

Pennant on both questions.

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 02:56:11 PM »
when pennant first come to liverpool i always use to think dize carlos  :D

but....pennant cyah beat so sweet like carlos
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 02:57:58 PM »
From what I have seen....the two clearest differences are 1) Carlos is probably a bit more versatile. He looks equally comfortable at right back, or right midfield. Pennant seems more like a pure winger. 2) Pennant is a better crosser of the ball, even though Carlos' crossing has improved quite a bit.

I would guess that Carlos is a better goalscorer, given his 9 league goals at Championship level vs. Pennant's 1 at Premiership level. Carlos seems to chip in with a few goals each season but he also gets more opportunities to play than Pennant...and of course, Carlos is scoring in the Championship not the EPL. Also, at 28, I think Carlos is closer to his peak than the 24 year old Pennant. In the end, Carlos is yet to prove himself at Premiership level, while Pennant has shown he can play with the big boys week in week out. But noone who has watched Carlos this season and at the WC last year can doubt he has the ability to make an impact at the highest club level..but talk is cheap...he still has to do it. Hopefully next season.

Offline Trinitim

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 03:37:37 PM »

Filho you have to be a prophet you take the words right out of my mouth, I agree with absolutely everything you said. Yes God willing Carlos will get his chance in EPL and he will shine because he has a HUNGER for the game and he is a focused man, he is confident in his ability, he is not a slacker, he works hard, Roy said Carlos was itching to get back on the pitch, he has the right attitude of a Professional. He represents T&T WELL!!!!!!!!!!

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 04:40:37 PM »
This was already a topic about a year ago.

I think that they are very similar players but pennant has the edge due to his superior crossing ability.

I think he had the most crosses into the box last season while at brimingham city

Carlos has the ability to get past defenders but at the higer level (EPL), he will have to realise that defenders will be better and his crossing will play a bigger role.

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 05:54:42 PM »
From what I have seen....the two clearest differences are 1) Carlos is probably a bit more versatile. He looks equally comfortable at right back, or right midfield. Pennant seems more like a pure winger. 2) Pennant is a better crosser of the ball, even though Carlos' crossing has improved quite a bit.

I would guess that Carlos is a better goalscorer, given his 9 league goals at Championship level vs. Pennant's 1 at Premiership level. Carlos seems to chip in with a few goals each season but he also gets more opportunities to play than Pennant...and of course, Carlos is scoring in the Championship not the EPL. Also, at 28, I think Carlos is closer to his peak than the 24 year old Pennant. In the end, Carlos is yet to prove himself at Premiership level, while Pennant has shown he can play with the big boys week in week out. But noone who has watched Carlos this season and at the WC last year can doubt he has the ability to make an impact at the highest club level..but talk is cheap...he still has to do it. Hopefully next season.
Filho you really believe so ,is he really that good?.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 06:32:47 PM »

Filho you really believe so ,is he really that good?.

Compre I believe so...judging by his World Cup performance. Carlos hold his own against regular EPL players in the Sweden and England games...look how he make Ljungberg look like an amateur - and he wasn't even playing his regular position.

yes talk cheap but I truly believe Edwards is a premiership player playin in de Championship. 

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2007, 06:53:12 PM »
I have confidence that Carlos will prove himself and have a positive impact on his own career in the coming seasons whether Sunderland get promoted or not.  There are a number of players in Carlos' position that are in the EPL that don't match up to him.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 12:37:32 PM »
'excellent Edwards' versus  Jermaine...ummm

Waiting to see the showdown in the EPL..

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 12:52:56 PM »
Alberta...it's one thing to compare Edwards to Pennant. But wouldn't the battles you look forward to be Edwards vs Ashley Cole, or Edwards vs Gabriel Heinze or some left sided player? Anyhow...let's not count our chickens before they hatch  ;)

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 12:30:45 PM »
This was already a topic about a year ago.

I think that they are very similar players but pennant has the edge due to his superior crossing ability.

I think he had the most crosses into the box last season while at brimingham city

Carlos has the ability to get past defenders but at the higer level (EPL), he will have to realise that defenders will be better and his crossing will play a bigger role.

ah love it!!

Very good point Andre, if you listen to players who have made the transition from Championship to Prem, they will say you have less time on the ball and smaller spaces to operate within. A good chunk of Carlos' trickery may not work in the Prem and his crossing would have to improve even under more pressure and better defending. Having said, he has all the attributes to further improve and do well in the EPL. His goal scoring ratio for a winger is rather good, he shooting from long distance has really come on.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 08:41:28 AM »
Jermaine Pennant really impress vs Liverpool yesterday, he and Jones was combining very good and Fuller is a decent player to but dont tell them stinking Jamaicans that. But Jones present on the field does open up plays for other attackers, in other words, Fuller and greddy man Walters get more room. Talking about Walters, he had two men on him and Jones was free TWICE and he refuse to pass the ball to Jones.

And why anytime a player score for Jones team he drops in midfield and play deep ??

Anyhow, Jermaine Pennant should be on the current England team.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 08:44:25 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2010, 10:09:07 AM »
one glaring difference is that Pennant is a drunk driving thug.....
Quite a large number of British professional footballers are thugs of some type...J.Barton springs to mind.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2010, 10:19:29 AM »
Jermaine Pennant really impress vs Liverpool yesterday, he and Jones was combining very good and Fuller is a decent player to but dont tell them stinking Jamaicans that. But Jones present on the field does open up plays for other attackers, in other words, Fuller and greddy man Walters get more room. Talking about Walters, he had two men on him and Jones was free TWICE and he refuse to pass the ball to Jones.

And why anytime a player score for Jones team he drops in midfield and play deep ??

Anyhow, Jermaine Pennant should be on the current England team.
pennat is under the reggae boyz radar
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

1]; } ?>