April 26, 2024, 07:16:10 AM

Author Topic: MLS in 2007  (Read 4213 times)

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
MLS in 2007
« on: April 07, 2007, 12:05:28 PM »
What's new in MLS in 2007

April 4, 2007

David Beckham isn't the be-all and end-all for Major League Soccer in 2007. Here's what else is new and noteworthy.

-- Expansion Toronto FC becomes league's 13th team and first in Canada. All 14,000 season tickets have been sold. Team will play at the new 20,000-seat BMO Field.

-- The Colorado Rapids also have a new stadium, Dick's Sporting Goods Park, which holds 18,000 fans. Seven MLS teams now have soccer-specific stadium.

-- Wild cards. For the first time, only the top two teams in each conference earn automatic playoff berths. They'll be joined by four wild cards -- the teams with the next highest point totals in the standings, regardless of conference.

-- A new TV contract ensures that every game will be televised for the first time in league history. The league's TV partners are ABC/ESPN, Univision, Fox Soccer Channel/Fox Sports en Espanol and HDNet.

-- SuperLiga, a tournament featuring four MLS teams and four Mexican clubs, debuts in July with a $1 million prize going to the winner.

-- For the first time, U.S. soccer has hired full-time referees to work some MLS games. Four have been hired; the rest are still part-time.

-- New players: In addition to Beckham (Los Angeles Galaxy), new faces include Claudio Reyna (New York Red Bulls), Cuauhtemoc Blanco (Chicago Fire), Jim Brennan (Toronto FC), Roberto Brown (Colorado Rapids), Conor Casey (Toronto FC), Luciano Emilio (D.C. United), Fred (D.C. United), Maykel Galindo (Chivas USA), Carl Robinson (Toronto FC), Robbie Rogers (Columbus), Luis Tejada (Real Salt Lake), Juan Carlos Toja (FC Dallas) and Andy Welsh (Toronto FC).

Warrior For Life !!

Offline ZionYouth

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: MLS in 2007
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 01:49:18 PM »
What about robbie fowler? heard he was makin he way across....wha goin on wit dat. :beermug:

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 02:52:56 PM »
What about robbie fowler? heard he was makin he way across....wha goin on wit dat. :beermug:

robbie say thats just some rumors flying around. he never say that he was going to de mls.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 03:03:21 PM »
Here is an article on Toronto FC

Opening game tonight

BY SEAN FITZ-GERALDin Toronto, National Post sfitzgerald@nationalpost.com
April 7, 2007

A renaissance period

With Toronto FC set to debut in Canada’s biggest market, many are wondering whether this latest love affair with the global game will reverse the fortunes of the national team.  It was getting to be late on a Monday afternoon when Darren Siddorn rose from his seat to stretch. Empty pint glasses twinkled from the corner of the downtown Toronto pub where he stood, happily, among a group off ans who had also wiggled free of their weekday obligations to watch a soccer game.

“I’ve got a doctor’s appointment,” Siddorn said with a laugh.

It was halftime, and the group’s beloved English Premier League side, Everton, was winning. The window between halves became a time for socializing and waitressing — the lone server had been politely hushed during play — and for discussing whether their love for the sport could be transferred to a team based a little closer to home.

Toronto FC will begin its first season in Major League Soccer tonight against Chivas USA at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif., 20 minutes on the freeway south of Los Angeles. It won’t be as flashy a display as the game Siddorn and his friends were watching on the big screen at the pub, but an undeniable sense ofoptimism has crept intoboth the league and its newest franchise.

This will be the summer of David Beckham, the English heartthrob who will leave Europe for a lucrative contract and an awaiting fleet of paparazzi with the Galaxy, his new team in Los Angeles.

But some in Canada also wonder if this season might not also provide the type of spark needed to revive the flagging fortunes of the national men’s program and, perhaps, finally push the sport into the mainstream.

Toronto FC decided to cap season ticket sales at 14,000 to leave space for the casual fan inside its new 20,000seat stadium, BMO Field. The club, owned by Maple LeafSpor ts & Entertainment, also reached out to suburban families and communities with soccer backgrounds, but was caught off guard by the volume of tickets purchased by young urban professionals living downtown.

“The standard can be good,” Siddorn said. “From what I’ve seen, it’s very much like England’s first division. It’s not Premiership class, but it’s still a good league to watch.”

MLS opened its doors in 1996 as the fulfillment of a promise made to FIFA, the world soccer governing body, after the United States was awarded the 1994 World Cup. The league met with some initial success, but it was fleeting, and the fallout was unforgiving.

It has been reported the league lost around US$250-million during its first five years. The Wall Street Journal reported that officials nearly closed operations following a meeting in Colorado six years ago, going so far as to prepare a media release declaring the death ofMLS.

The league survived, but only in the pockets ofits two wealthiest benefactors, billionaires Philip Anschutz and Lamar Hunt. At one point, Anschutz controlled six of10 MLS franchises, though he is down to three (L.A. Galaxy, Chicago Fire and Houston Dynamo), along with his other Los Angeles holdings, the NBA’s Lakers and the NHL’s Kings. Hunt was the late owner of the National Football League’s Kansas City Chiefs and cherished builder of the NFL into the sporting behemoth it is today.

“I don’t believe there’s any one thing that’s going to make Major League Soccer one of the dominant sports in [the U.S.] in the short term,” MLS commissioner Don Garber said in a conference call earlier this week. “We have lots ofindividual things that are happening that are making the league more popular … but it’s growing at a slow, steady pace. And that’s our goal.”

For the first time, television networks have paid fees for the rights to broadcast MLS games. ESPN, ABC and Univision have all signed deals that will reportedly produce about US$12-million in revenue per season.

Garber is also keen on expansion. His plan would have MLS grow to 16 teams from 13 by 2010. During his conference call, he suggested interest in Atlanta, Cleveland, Milwaukee, St. Louis, San Diego and Portland.

Toronto has shown signs ofbeing his most successful test case.

When the team opens its home schedule against the Kansas City Wizards on April 28, it will become the first team in league history to christen its entry with its own soccer-specific stadium.

“Without doubt, there’s more buzz and anticipation with this team than any other in our history,” Garber said. “And we think that’s an exciting indicator of— if you have the right market with the right ownership with the right facility — how things can really come together nicely with an MLS expansion team.”

Toronto has shown a tendency, though, of welcoming new teams into town with a smile and a warm embrace before forgetting about them entirely.

Remember the Arena Football League? The Toronto Phantoms arrived in 2001 and disappeared after just two seasons. Their collapse might have warranted a story, had anyone noticed.

“This is not the Arena Football League, and this is not the United States Soccer League,” Garber said. “I don’t necessarily expect that we’re going to have 18,000 season tickets next year. It would be nice if we did, but if we do our work right,ifour players get out in the community, ifMLSE continues to be very committed to it, there’s no reason to think that we won’t be successful in that market, long-term.”

Long-term success in Canada’s biggest market is something that could potentially help soccer on another stage: internationally. Since taking Canada to the 1986 World Cup, thenhead coach Tony Waiters has watched the national side slide back into obscurity.

Canada dropped 16 places in the FIFA’s most recent world ranking to 103rd, leaving the country behind such soccer powerhouses as Libya (97), Latvia (98) and St. Vincent and the Grenadines (100).

“Ifpeople do the right job in the next little while, the game looks to have an incredible chance here in Canada,” Waiters said. “But the Americans have gone way past us. And in the ’80s, we were ahead of the Americans. It’s pretty obvious what’s happened in America, with three World Cups — two women’s and one men’s — that’s put resources at their disposal.”

According to the Canadian Soccer Association, 854,750 Canadians registered to play soccer last year, a 1.5% increase from 2005. The vast majority — 719,625 — were under 18 years ofage.

Bruce Wilson has been monitoring the grassroots level for 20 years as coach of the University of Victoria men’s soccer team. Wilson, who was captain ofCanada’ s 1986 World Cup team, said he hopes plans for MLS expansion include Vancouver and Montreal.

“I think there is room in our country for another pro sport, being soccer,” he said. “Without a doubt, it’s the No. 1 sport in the world. Only in North America has it not really broken through, and I think time will tell, and I think it will happen.”

The change might already underway.

Ian Kane, a 29-year-old accountant living in Barrie, Ont., snapped up Toronto FC season tickets last summer, along with his brother, wife and two friends. He was officially the third person to buy a season package, which is a source ofannoyance because he said he doesn’t “know who the two people were who got them in front of me, but being No. 1 would have been nice.”

“I came from England when I was 11, so I was a huge football fan from the age of, like, three,” Kane said. “For me, this is basically the first time we’ve had professional soccer. It’s obviously not at the same level as the Premiership or the Italian league, but from watching quite a lot ofMLS games over the last couple of years, it’s a pretty decent quality.”

His seats are in Section 115, right behind the goal. In England, that area is generally home to some of the most boisterous fans in the stadium.

“That’s the thing I’m hoping we can recreate at the BMO, because it’s the atmosphere, more than anything,” he said. “You go to the Leafs games where having ‘Go Leafs Go’ coming on the screen is the only reason anyone starts cheering. It’s kind ofdepressing , really.”

Toronto FC is planning to stage viewing parties at four Toronto pubs tonight, including Scallywags, where Siddorn and his friends were ultimately left disappointed when Everton conceded a late goal to draw 1-1 with Aston Villa.

They represent one of the most intriguing groups ofpotential fans for Canada’s MLS experiment, as educated soccer connoisseurs used to watching the game performed at its highest levels. And many in the group suggested they would at least give Toronto FC a chance.

“For me, it’s a local sports team,” Ivan Bunner said. “But I’m just not going to blindly support them — they’ve got to earn it.”

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline ZionYouth

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 08:59:26 PM »

robbie say thats just some rumors flying around. he never say that he was going to de mls.
BLESS..... :beermug:

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 09:16:59 PM »
chivas playing toronto fc on fsc. mls looking good this year. ah wonder when we league will get so?
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline #4

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • #YGBfiles: The Young, Gifted, and Black Files
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 02:24:57 PM »
lets hope this is sarcasm...

Canada dropped 16 places in the FIFA’s most recent world ranking to 103rd, leaving the country behind such soccer powerhouses as Libya (97), Latvia (98) and St. Vincent and the Grenadines (100).

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 02:27:59 PM »
Toronto FC  too european: not enough African and Caribbean players

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 02:39:41 PM »

what about Latin American and Asian? What point are you trying to make?

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 02:41:10 PM »
Yes I would like to see a more ethnically diverse team in Toronto. Yes and more Latins and Asians would be a plus. You know the point I am making no need to the rhetorical.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 02:44:17 PM »
I haven't seen any games for this season yet...but ah anticipate a real good season. I used to be ah hater of the MLS but I have grown up and come to realise that they are trying and I think everyone would benefit from ah good MLS season.

PS: ah even join ah MLS fantasy league  ;D the set up kinda lame though lol.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline black chinee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 02:56:27 PM »

The coach is European, Isn't he???

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 03:51:10 PM »
Yes I would like to see a more ethnically diverse team in Toronto. Yes and more Latins and Asians would be a plus. You know the point I am making no need to the rhetorical.

Nope..i don't know the point you are trying to make. Not being rehetorical at all. Your choice of words are open to interpretation. Are you making a statement on race, or style of play? Also, would you be offended if someone said the opposite?

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 03:57:45 PM »
Frankly people could say what they like...I am simply expressing that given the Toronto market and if I lived there I would prefer to see a team with more ethnic composition to reflect the immigrant populous.
I doh care if the coach is from Togo or Scotland. He could be BSC for all that matters.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 04:25:15 PM »
Frankly people could say what they like...I am simply expressing that given the Toronto market and if I lived there I would prefer to see a team with more ethnic composition to reflect the immigrant populous.
I doh care if the coach is from Togo or Scotland. He could be BSC for all that matters.

I think the people from Toronto want a team that wins. Everything after that is just icing on the cake.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 05:07:33 PM »
I think that having a more ethnically diverse team will probably appeal to a wider market and help in initial support. However, having a team that wins will lead to better support in the long run. And given that they sold out their full limit of 14,000 season tickets for a 20,000 seat stadium, I don't think support in the short term is going to be a problem.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

1]; } ?>