April 28, 2024, 10:01:58 PM

Author Topic: Toronto FC loses MLS opener  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Toronto FC loses MLS opener
« on: April 07, 2007, 11:44:24 PM »
Toronto FC loses MLS opener
CBC Sports

Toronto FC put in a solid effort but still came up short in its Major League Soccer debut.

Toronto dropped a 2-0 decision to Chivas USA Saturday night at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif., the first contest in MLS for the expansion franchise.

Toronto FC, owned and operated by Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, officially became MLS's 13th team last spring, and the first club outside the United States since the league officially kicked off in 1996.

Despite the score, Toronto coach Mo Johnston could hardly be disappointed with the effort of his players.

Goalkeeper Greg Sutton had a solid night in net, fellow Canadian Marco Reda was magnificent in defence, Miguel Canizalez (playing in place of the injured Ronnie O'Brien) ran himself ragged in midfield, and the duo of Edson Buddle and Alecko Eskandarian looked dangerous in attack.

Of note, four of the starting 11 players were Canadian: Sutton, Reda, Canizalez and Jim Brennan.

A fast-paced first half saw Chivas enjoy the bulk of possession, but it was Toronto who created the best scoring chances early on.

Buddle nearly scored in the 13th with a header off a free kick, but Chivas goalie Brad Guzan denied the Toronto forward with a fine save. Three minutes later, Guzan robbed Buddle a second time, stopping a blistering shot from close range.

Eskandarian capitalized on a defensive breakdown at the half-hour mark and fired a wicked shot on net, but Guzan again made a fantastic save to keep Toronto off the scoreboard.

Chivas broke the deadlock five minutes later when Maykel Galindo played a perfect pass into the box for Ante Razov who sidestepped the Toronto defence and slipped the ball into the empty net.

Razov, the league's third all-time leading scorer, now has 99 goals in his MLS career.

Sutton, who was partly to blame for the goal after coming off his line too quickly, made up for it by making two great saves late in the half.

Toronto looked tired and flat in the second half, so Johnston made a tactical change, switching from a 3-5-2 formation to a 3-4-3 lineup when he replaced Scottish winger Andy Welsh with American forward Conor Casey in the 65th minute.

The move did little to spark the offence, though, and Chivas put the game with two minutes left in regulation when Sacha Kljestan fired a bullet from 24 yards out just inside the post past Sutton.

Toronto FC's next game is April 14 against the New England Revolution and the club makes its home debut at BMO Field on April 28 against the Kansas City Wizards.

In other action Saturday, the Colorado Rapids beat D.C. United 2-1, FC Dallas and Real Salt Lake battled to a 2-2 draw, the New York Red Bulls and Columbus Crew ended 0-0, and the Chicago Fire defeated the New England Revolution 1-0.

The Houston Dynamo, the reigning MLS champions, host the Los Angeles Galaxy Sunday.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Re: Toronto FC loses MLS opener
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 02:02:31 PM »
I watched the game last night. The opening half presented some good  close range opportunities for T.O F.C but barring that the offence was anemic and teh defence slow in moving the ball up.
Interestingly I find that given the immigration population in T.O. that there is not more of an eclectic mix of players from differnt parts of the world. Not one West Indian?

One deadly striker needed; more speed on the wings and a more versatile defence would help.

Offline JW

• Mackem Abroad
  • Jr. Warrior
  • Eat My Goal
    • View Profile
    • Black Cats of North America
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 02:07:15 PM »
I watched the game last night. The opening half presented some good  close range opportunities for T.O F.C but barring that the offence was anemic and teh defence slow in moving the ball up.
Interestingly I find that given the immigration population in T.O. that there is not more of an eclectic mix of players from differnt parts of the world. Not one West Indian?

One deadly striker needed; more speed on the wings and a more versatile defence would help.

I'll not claim to be an expert on how transfers etc within the MLS work, but are Toronto not constrained by the rules as to who they can sign (or draft) and also required to field a number of "home grown" (i.e. Canadian) players in the team?

Andy Welsh (LW) was always too slow and too lightweight at Sunderland.  I can't see anything changing for him in the MLS...
Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 02:07:58 PM »
I was impressed, they looked a bit nervous but in time they will gel as a team

(I watch some Serie A yesterday and I must say, I was happy to see Toronto FC has more people there than some ah dem Italian teams) As long as we college boys and PFL can go there in de MLS, I will support the league.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 02:24:36 PM »
my two off springs were saying that in the second half Toronto FC could not put together more than two passes. they said they were terible
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline #8

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 05:57:08 PM »
they fizzled out in de second half...dey lacking a creative/offensive midfielder...the abscence of Ronnie O Brien was very obvious in de middle last night.....also Jim Brennan didn't play in his natural midfield position which i think contributed to their lack of presence in de midfield.... Welsh, Nagamura and Eskandarian look like de eat some spoil curry..also from one of de interviews i seen before Toronto's first game he(Eskandarian) said something to de effect of ' It wasn't my choice to come here..but that's how the game goes sometimes..at the end of the day i'm glad to be part of history with this new club and be playing football ' and from his showing last night he didn't seem to care too much about what was going on...Edson Buddle is a good striker..i hope he stays away from de LCBO while in Toronto.

Cornell hurry up and heal up...this Toronto team could use a spark plug in de offensive dept.     

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 07:49:57 PM »

They drafted West Indian Daryl Roberts but he rejected them and signed with Sparta Rotterdam instead.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 04:12:53 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 08:38:49 PM »
ah know we have some Brazilian in T&T beter dan dat Ca Brazilian dey play..if is Brazilian dey want..ah was quite impressed with the el Salvadorian Canadian doh...Cani-zales..SH or whoever should take anudder look at he..not when dey play we doh. :-X

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 03:50:34 PM »
Could a Yorke have a marketing draw in Toronto?

1]; } ?>