April 16, 2024, 03:41:17 PM

Author Topic: Racial slur on sofa label stuns family  (Read 10533 times)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
Racial slur on sofa label stuns family
« on: April 09, 2007, 10:17:33 AM »
This story making the news on the hour every hour.

I got a news paper clipping on a woman's comment. I'll upload it jus' now.

Mother had to explain to daughter, 7 origin of 'totally unacceptable' word on wrapping of furniture built overseas

Apr 06, 2007 04:30 AM
Jim Wilkes
Staff Reporter

When the new chocolate-coloured sofa set was delivered to her Brampton home, Doris Moore was stunned to see packing labels describing the shade as "Nigger-brown."

She and husband Douglas purchased a sofa, loveseat and chair in dark brown leather last week from Vanaik Furniture and Mattress store on Dundas St. E.

Moore, 30, who describes herself as an African-American born and raised in New York, said it was her 7-year-old daughter who pointed out the label just after delivery men from the Mississauga furniture store left.

"She's very curious and she started reading the labels," Moore explained. "She said, `Mommy, what is nig ... ger brown?' I went over and just couldn't believe my eyes."

She said yesterday each piece had a similar label affixed to the woven protective covering wrapped around the furniture.

"In this day and age, that's totally unacceptable," Moore said.

Douglas explained the origins of the word to daughter Olivia, telling how it was a bad name that blacks were called during the days of slavery in the United States.

"It was tough, because she really didn't understand," Moore said. "She'd never heard that word before and didn't really understand the concept of it."

Moore, who has a younger son and daughter, said she's heard the word used many times, although it has never been directed in anger at her.

"But it's a very, very bad word that makes you feel degraded, like you're a nobody," she said.

Moore said she called the furniture store the following day and three other times since, and feels discouraged that no one has returned her calls.

When interviewed yesterday by the Star, Romesh Kumar, Vanaik's assistant manager, passed the buck to his supplier, Cosmos Furniture in Scarborough.

"Why should I take the blame?" he said. "I'm a trader, I don't manufacture. I sell from 20 companies, maybe 50 companies. How can I take care of all of them?"

He said that he would check similar stock and make sure other labels were removed.

"That's terrible, that's a racial ... something?" Kumar said. "This is entirely wrong, but it's not my fault. It's my job to sell good product to people."

He said the best he could do is to give Moore the telephone number of his supplier, so she could take it up with him.

The owner of Cosmos Furniture, Paul Kumar, no relation to Romesh, said he was upset to learn packing labels on products he sold carried a racial epithet.

"I import my products from overseas," he said. "I've never noticed anything like that. This is something new to me."

He passed the blame to a Chinese company, but apologized for the labels. He said he would contact the furniture maker in Guangzhou and demand they remove all similar labels.

Moore said she's not sure she wants the sofa set in her home.

"Every time I sit on it, I'll think of that," she said.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 10:24:13 AM by TriniCana »

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Racial slur on sofa label stuns family
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 10:23:47 AM »
I saw that on city tv.....beetween that and Imus comments

ah tink ah real madness washin over de place oui  :-\
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 12:37:43 PM »
Another hornet's nest. 
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 12:43:45 PM »
Just when yuh think it was safe to call Canada home!!!!! yuh eh see there are many facets to this society that still remains to 'grow up?' I mean in this darn age, with political correctness and  standards, you will tell me that a sign like this passed the factory's  'standards' prior to shipment?

Somebody need a slap!!

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 12:50:56 PM »
Just when yuh think it was safe to call Canada home!!!!! yuh eh see there are many facets to this society that still remains to 'grow up?' I mean in this darn age, with political correctness and  standards, you will tell me that a sign like this passed the factory's  'standards' prior to shipment?

Somebody need a slap!!

AT ....on de face of it, I would say so too but if you go back to where it make and label, is not people who speaking English.  Like somebody write in today's paper, in many countries outside of North America, Niger is used to mean the colour black and it was probably misspelt and not meant to be used in the way in which it is used in NA.  Think about it.  Do you think only black people would be purchasing that chair?  What if it were Chinese people who bought the chair, or Indians or any other race.  I think if the chair was made and labeled in North America, I would be more inclined to be upset about it.  Some times an error is simply an error.

When I travelled to Asia, I saw numerous signs where English words were used but were wrongly spelt and often used in the wrong context to the point that it was very funny.  Of course, this situation with the sofa did not result in a funny outcome but I will reserve my judgement until I hear exactly the origin of the label.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 12:55:16 PM by FursTwin »
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 12:53:36 PM »
This is the scary thing about racism in North America and beyond. White's have an apparent negligence and ignorance of the implications of the use of the word. Bad news and pr spreads like wild fire and if I would not only return the furniture but put it on every news and internet site I could find. You would see how fast that manufacturer goes out of business

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 01:11:18 PM »
Very true that in  non- english speaking countries, diction and syntax may be used out of context but you know what, in this darn age, people have dictionaries; people know derivations, and connotations plus the importers to this country must have seen this label or else them either bilnd dunce or just plain ignorant to the fact that what coming in with that label is offensive.

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 01:33:44 PM »
Very true that in  non- english speaking countries, diction and syntax may be used out of context but you know what, in this darn age, people have dictionaries; people know derivations, and connotations plus the importers to this country must have seen this label or else them either bilnd dunce or just plain ignorant to the fact that what coming in with that label is offensive.

I don't agree with that.  You are making the bold assumption that because YOU speak English and that, that everyone else should know and understand it.  Should the people in China whose language by the way will be the most widly spoken language in about 10 years or so be saying the same thing?  Should we all have Chinese dictionaries?  and how do we use it when we don't even know the words.

I am not saying what happened is right.  What I'm saying is that there is not enough information about the situation to label it racist.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 01:37:31 PM »

Somebody need a slap!!

AT ....on de face of it, I would say so too but if you go back to where it make and label, is not people who speaking English.  Like somebody write in today's paper, in many countries outside of North America, Niger is used to mean the colour black and it was probably misspelt and not meant to be used in the way in which it is used in NA.  Think about it.  Do you think only black people would be purchasing that chair?  What if it were Chinese people who bought the chair, or Indians or any other race.  I think if the chair was made and labeled in North America, I would be more inclined to be upset about it.  Some times an error is simply an error.

When I travelled to Asia, I saw numerous signs where English words were used but were wrongly spelt and often used in the wrong context to the point that it was very funny.  Of course, this situation with the sofa did not result in a funny outcome but I will reserve my judgement until I hear exactly the origin of the label.

Ih ear yuh on dis...but ah cya take dat excuse...if it said niger-black-cafe-brown ah woulda say ok..is ah language thinkg..but why use that word and everything else is english....it looks deliberate to me  >:(

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 01:41:47 PM »

Somebody need a slap!!

Ih ear yuh on dis...but ah cya take dat excuse...if it said niger-black-cafe-brown ah woulda say ok..is ah language thinkg..but why use that word and everything else is english....it looks deliberate to me  >:(

Big Up!

Ah not trying tuh make ah excuse eh.  Ah jes trying to look at it from ah differnt angle and tuh find out more before ah come tuh meh conclusion. Meh jury still out.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 02:56:01 PM »
This is the scary thing about racism in North America and beyond. White's have an apparent negligence and ignorance of the implications of the use of the word. Bad news and pr spreads like wild fire and if I would not only return the furniture but put it on every news and internet site I could find. You would see how fast that manufacturer goes out of business

skywalker, i scratching meh head looking for what "White"s have to do with this article. looks like the manufacturer in china and the store selling it run by asians.

is only now people understanding where all this consumer sh*t does come from. look we past easter weekend, filling we chirren face with chocolate - 40% of which coming from slave labour in africa. people so out of touch with how the stuff they buy get made. is no surprise to me that whoever make that sofa doh speak good engrish and probably never seen a black person in they life. that is the world we live in.

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 03:00:49 PM »

skywalker, i scratching meh head looking for what "White"s have to do with this article. looks like the manufacturer in china and the store selling it run by asians.

is only now people understanding where all this consumer sh*t does come from. look we past easter weekend, filling we chirren face with chocolate - 40% of which coming from slave labour in africa. people so out of touch with how the stuff they buy get made. is no surprise to me that whoever make that sofa doh speak good engrish and probably never seen a black person in they life. that is the world we live in.

Very true!!!

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 03:16:49 PM »
I shouldn't laugh, cuz I wudda real cuss if it was me....but dis is some funny $h!t  :rotfl: :rotfl:

it would have been funnier if it was a major store...imagine walking into Home Depot and finding n*** brown paint :rotfl: :rotfl:

And talk about stating the obvious: "Moore, who has a younger son and daughter, said she's heard the word used many times"

True story...An Asian ex-girlfriend of mine told me that in her primary school, it was common for the children to buy pencils with little slogans written on them like, "A is for apple"...then there would be a picture of an apple. Well, guess what they had for "N" ?  :-\
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 03:20:34 PM by Ryan »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 06:39:57 PM »
I feel sorry for Mr Kumar and agree that it is probably not intentional.
there are websites that show many instances of english being used incorrectly by Asian sign makers.
Having said that there should have been better controls concerning what is allowed on labels.
check this article
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/asia/article2091871.ece
Pee Soup :rotfl:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 06:49:20 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 07:23:37 PM »
N iz for the naughty boy with ah black shadow alyuh remember that ,their was a naughty boy and ah naughty boy was he
he ranaway to scotland and the people there to see , and he found that the ground was as hard az the yard and he stood in his shoes and he wonder wat the f :cursing:ah doin here .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 07:28:51 PM »

Somebody need a slap!!

Big Up!

Ah not trying tuh make ah excuse eh.  Ah jes trying to look at it from ah differnt angle and tuh find out more before ah come tuh meh conclusion. Meh jury still out.

I was at Chinese grocery las year and dis sign caught my eye ..  I took a pic of it with my camera phone waiting for de day when I could publish it ....  well to day is de day

remember .. dis is a grocery in Toronto .. where ppl is speak English (well mos a de time)

jus becasue yuh exporting a product to a English speaking country doh mean yuh know the language.

btw:  dis was a sign for some soup ... I decided to pass on de purchase jus  in case de sign was right  ;D

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 07:38:52 PM »
btw:  dis was a sign for some soup ... I decided to pass on de purchase jus  in case de sign was right  ;D
I could say sumting, but I not able :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2007, 07:40:39 PM »
I could say sumting, but I not able :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

why .. yuh too busy eating soup?

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2007, 07:45:49 PM »
ya not making it easy :angel: :devil: :angel: :devil:

ok check dis website den
http://www.engrish.com/
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 07:53:24 PM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2007, 08:11:10 PM »
ah feel dem chinese learning english from 50 cent and all them big hip hop artists - pirate CDs. and people wondering why they getting label with n******-brown on dey sofa.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2007, 04:40:11 AM »
ah feel dem chinese learning english from 50 cent and all them big hip hop artists - pirate CDs. and people wondering why they getting label with n******-brown on dey sofa.
ah feel so too  :rotfl:
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007, 05:03:55 AM »
ah feel so too  :rotfl:
Well!!!
I did a search for "ni@@a" in just one artist lyrics (G - Unit) and got 145  :o :o :o :o results.
http://lyrics.gunitworld.com/index.php
seems like you are right
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 05:05:57 AM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2007, 05:41:16 AM »
ya not making it easy :angel: :devil: :angel: :devil:

ok check dis website den
http://www.engrish.com/

eggzackery ...

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2007, 05:58:54 AM »
I goin an get a closet full of these ;D ;D

from this Store
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 06:15:53 AM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2007, 07:05:13 AM »
The first time ah went shop in London ah buy some nice L/Sleeve T-shirts.
When ah reach home an check out the label it say " Eisenniger;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 07:10:23 AM by fishs »
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2007, 07:34:09 AM »

So right.  I was just speaking to my daughter who is in Thailand and asked her to take some pictures of English words on signs that are misused and misspelt.  I was telling her about this situation with the sofa and she agreed that people there and in other non-English speaking countries (she's been to a few) often do that.  She has a German friend (who lives in Germany) and he recently told her in conversation "I love Nigger black music".  She said that he said it quite naturally and did not know it was offesive.  She told him it was an offesive word particularly in conversation with a black person.  His response?  But they say it all the time in the music?  She said he was very confused because he had only ever heard the word in rap songs.

In Thailand too she told me that many things that we find offensive here are not there particularly as most people don't speak English and there is often no Thai word to translate many English words, so in trying to translate an offensive English expression, the offense is totally lost.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2007, 08:10:06 AM »

So right.  I was just speaking to my daughter who is in Thailand and asked her to take some pictures of English words on signs that are misused and misspelt.  I was telling her about this situation with the sofa and she agreed that people there and in other non-English speaking countries (she's been to a few) often do that.  She has a German friend (who lives in Germany) and he recently told her in conversation "I love Nigger black music".  She said that he said it quite naturally and did not know it was offesive.  She told him it was an offesive word particularly in conversation with a black person.  His response?  But they say it all the time in the music?  She said he was very confused because he had only ever heard the word in rap songs.

In Thailand too she told me that many things that we find offensive here are not there particularly as most people don't speak English and there is often no Thai word to translate many English words, so in trying to translate an offensive English expression, the offense is totally lost.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe that there is high degree of probability that this is what generally happens. Nevertheless this form of malapropism reveals a certain linguistic insensitivity. I believe that the lack of concern or the use of words without  an investigation of its denotation allows for multiple inappropriate connations.

In our  'pop' culture of music where words are bandied about and used with irreverant regularity, some peple believe that given the fact that it is in a public domain without any formal censoring, that it must be acceptale to use. The mitigating factor that the user needs to consider is CONTEXT. In what context is the word acceptable and with whom.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 08:25:14 AM by AB.Trini »

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2007, 08:21:27 AM »

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe that there is high degree of probability that this is what generally happens. Nevertheless this form of malapropism reveals a certain linguistic insensitivity. I believe that the lack of concern or the use of words without  an investigation of it's denotation allows for multiple inappropriate connations.

Like I said before, I am not saying what happened was right.  Insensitive most likely yes but racist?  Probably not.  That's all I'm saying.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2007, 08:30:51 AM »
Exactly; it is aleap to move from the insenitivity to the racial. In  many instances there are those who are :

Subconsciously Incompetent: that is they say things which are insensitive and may not even realize it.

Next you have those who are:

Consciously Incompetent: they say things and are very much aware of what they are saying.

In develeoping culturally sensitivity, the idea is to move people to a level where thay are:

Consciously competent of what they are saying to the highest level of subconsciously competent: this is the point where they are conversing without reprisals of inappropriate statements.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2007, 09:15:05 AM »
Exactly; it is aleap to move from the insenitivity to the racial. In  many instances there are those who are :

Subconsciously Incompetent: that is they say things which are insensitive and may not even realize it.

Next you have those who are:

Consciously Incompetent: they say things and are very much aware of what they are saying.

In develeoping culturally sensitivity, the idea is to move people to a level where thay are:

Consciously competent of what they are saying to the highest level of subconsciously competent: this is the point where they are conversing without reprisals of inappropriate statements.

does the onus lie solely on the speaker? what about the agent that taught the speaker?

1]; } ?>