March 28, 2024, 11:58:20 AM

Author Topic: Monumental Tragedy  (Read 12086 times)

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
Re: Monumental Tragedy
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2007, 10:11:08 PM »
pretty good poem by nikki giovanni:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-Qx9dIr-68

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2007, 07:38:53 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/video/player/player.html?url=/video/us/2007/04/18/sot.nbc.cho.speaks.nbc

Click down to "Gunman's mental problem"

Madness...absolutely madness

Ma and Pa didn't know something was wrong with they chile ?
Yes the teachers knew, his room mates knew, Police knew....

Ma and Pa ???
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 07:41:22 AM by Sec_Twin »

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2007, 09:49:24 AM »
from cnn:

In 2005, Cho was declared mentally ill by a Virginia special justice, who declared he was "an imminent danger" to himself, a court document states.

Cho's great-aunt, Kim Yang-soon, said Cho was diagnosed with autism after he came to the United States in 1992. Speaking from her home in South Korea, she described Cho as "very cold" and said her niece was constantly worried about him.

"Every time I called and asked how he was, she would say she was worried about him," Kim said, according to a translation from the AP. "Who would have known he would cause such trouble, the idiot."

==

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2007, 10:03:06 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/video/player/player.html?url=/video/us/2007/04/18/sot.nbc.cho.speaks.nbc

Ma and Pa ???

Leh meh try an answer dat, briefly, from my perspective, because in de office here..dey was aksing de same ting.

I have two chirren..one still ah teenager and I ALWAYS worried bout him because half de time I doh fine he movin de way I would like. Yuh tink at ANY time I would ever even entertain de thought dat my son would do someting like dat fella?  I still cyar wrap my head around dis event.  How ole he was?  22, 23? He livin in residence.  Ma an Pa not dey wid him.  He is ah adult.  At what point yuh does stop blaming or lookin tuh de parent/s.  From what I read, it look like de teachers and dem had more knowledge but I might be rong but like ah read in de papers tuhday, we have tuh stop dismissin mentally ill people as "jes weird" and take dey actions more seriously  because without proper attention, dis could happen again.   :'(   :'( 
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2007, 11:38:04 AM »
Been giving dis allot of thought.

aberrations in human behaviour that do not conform to societal expectations will continue to happen.

Can we catch it?  Unlikely, ppl will continue to escape detection unless we give up civil liberties and adopt a police state.  Even so, we will never know to what extreme individuals will  behave.

I hypothesize that one root cause is the failure for ppl to take responsibility for their actions for what ever reason (mental illness could be one or a disposition not to deal with bullying in a proper way).  De shooter at VA is an extreme case of this - he blamed everybody else for his actionsl.  At de other end of the scale is everyday less-consequential stuff  - for example, we get a speeding ticket but we blame de schupid police for trapping us or we cheat on a test because everybody else doing it, or we doh get a job because the interviewer was an idiot etc. etc.  Even if the perpetrator is a victim of wrong doing, two wrongs doh make a right.

As I said before how we play wid the crappy hand you were dealt by God is what will make us succeed or fail.

Listen again to the poem that Nikki Giovanni delivered de other day (see Ribbit's post above)...  here is what i got from it

How we respond to tragedies and injustices in our lives will determine if we will grow stronger or forever wallow in the pits of despair.

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2007, 12:01:19 PM »
Been giving dis allot of thought.

aberrations in human behaviour that do not conform to societal expectations will continue to happen.

Can we catch it?  Unlikely, ppl will continue to escape detection unless we give up civil liberties and adopt a police state.  Even so, we will never know to what extreme individuals will  behave.

I hypothesize that one root cause is the failure for ppl to take responsibility for their actions for what ever reason (mental illness could be one or a disposition not to deal with bullying in a proper way).  De shooter at VA is an extreme case of this - he blamed everybody else for his actionsl.  At de other end of the scale is everyday less-consequential stuff  - for example, we get a speeding ticket but we blame de schupid police for trapping us or we cheat on a test because everybody else doing it, or we doh get a job because the interviewer was an idiot etc. etc.  Even if the perpetrator is a victim of wrong doing, two wrongs doh make a right.

As I said before how we play wid the crappy hand you were dealt by God is what will make us succeed or fail.

Listen again to the poem that Nikki Giovanni delivered de other day (see Ribbit's post above)...  here is what i got from it

How we respond to tragedies and injustices in our lives will determine if we will grow stronger or forever wallow in the pits of despair.

True, true.
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2007, 01:50:49 PM »

Ma and Pa ???

I agree wit yuh...yuh parents does know if yuh friggin crazy....dey know he mad from long time
all de mad he mad ,,I eh think dem expect he woulda lick up over 50 people.
Probably a lot  to do with shame and the culture as to why they never had him lock up in a rubber room

Look even de president of south korea send an apology and all

dey quick to brand de man ah foreigner tho , he leave korea when he real small....he sound like an american
Me eh care what he immigration papers say...dais ah yankee madman

« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 01:58:06 PM by Dutty »
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2007, 07:51:28 PM »
dey quick to brand de man ah foreigner tho , he leave korea when he real small....he sound like an american
Me eh care what he immigration papers say...dais ah yankee madman
"South Korean resident ALIEN" Don't get it twisted.

Seriously though this is real perplexing. It is real easy to piece things together and  say that this was predictable, but yuh can't because before all this each person anly have one pieace of the picture.

I am certain that it would be easy to dismiss the guy as a weirdo, sicko or even a crazy f###er but even then yuh wouldn't expect this.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2007, 07:53:30 PM »

Ma and Pa ???

Leh meh try an answer dat, briefly, from my perspective, because in de office here..dey was aksing de same ting.

I have two chirren..one still ah teenager and I ALWAYS worried bout him because half de time I doh fine he movin de way I would like. Yuh tink at ANY time I would ever even entertain de thought dat my son would do someting like dat fella?  I still cyar wrap my head around dis event.  How ole he was?  22, 23? He livin in residence.  Ma an Pa not dey wid him.  He is ah adult.  At what point yuh does stop blaming or lookin tuh de parent/s.  From what I read, it look like de teachers and dem had more knowledge but I might be rong but like ah read in de papers tuhday, we have tuh stop dismissin mentally ill people as "jes weird" and take dey actions more seriously  because without proper attention, dis could happen again.   :'(   :'( 
Coco ah hear ya eh but this is what buggin me all day....

Teachers, Principal, guidance officer, police knew of him. Infact from what i read on the newspaper a teacher threw him out of her class for whatever reason. He got sent to a mental insitutation last year, came out days after .

You trying to tell me whether he living with Ma and Pa or has his own residence, Nobody from his family pick up on his behavior ??? Assuming police knock dey door acouple of times or they get a phone call from the University at least a couple of times.....Nobody from his family who living in the US ain't pick up on him?

nah man...ah cyah comprehen dis.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2007, 08:17:49 PM »

Ma and Pa ???

Teachers, Principal, guidance officer, police knew of him. Infact from what i read on the newspaper a teacher threw him out of her class for whatever reason. He got sent to a mental insitutation last year, came out days after .

You trying to tell me whether he living with Ma and Pa or has his own residence, Nobody from his family pick up on his behavior ??? Assuming police knock dey door acouple of times or they get a phone call from the University at least a couple of times.....Nobody from his family who living in the US ain't pick up on him?

As I understand it, there is nothing anyone can do. He wasn't a minor and therefore unless he gave power of attorney to someone to act in his behalf, he was the only one to decide if and when to commit himself. If he had committed an act that put himself or others in danger, or if he had contravened the law, then the State could have intervened.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 08:20:02 PM by doc »
Live large and prosper!

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2007, 08:39:13 PM »
historically the perpetrators of these heinous crimes have been, what appearers to some to be, "glorified"
What I would love to see is that the press concentrate on the victims and heroes and Debate about CONSTRUCTIVE ways in preventing a similar incident from occurring.
so my suggestion in the future is to not even mention de man Name or anything to do with his motives. Leave that for the judiciary system.
Just say that a person did so and so and here are the stories of the victims......not a thing about the madman
Ok you know like when a minor commits a crime the press are not allowed to air their names, well enact a law that does the same for the name of these madmen

see story here
http://start.shaw.ca/start/enCA/News/WorldNewsArticle.htm?src=w041981A.xml
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 08:55:14 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2007, 09:11:34 PM »

Ma and Pa ???

Cana, put yuhself in de boy's parent's shoes....as a parent, no matter what yuh chile do, you would always have this feeling that things will turnout ok...yuh will always be hoping for de best.....

that being said, with all the possible "warnings" that happend before the incident, no one could have predicted this outcome......

the other thing yuh have to bare in mind is that we getting pieces of information from every where...we don't know what is true and what is not true......furthermore, we don't even know with any certainty that the parents didn't do something...

i guess the point i trying to make is, in these situations, it is always very easy to blame the parents, but some times I truly believe it's out of their control...

I know plenty people with good parents who turn out real wayward....

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2007, 10:11:24 PM »

Ma and Pa ???

Cana, put yuhself in de boy's parent's shoes....as a parent, no matter what yuh chile do, you would always have this feeling that things will turnout ok...yuh will always be hoping for de best.....

that being said, with all the possible "warnings" that happend before the incident, no one could have predicted this outcome......

the other thing yuh have to bare in mind is that we getting pieces of information from every where...we don't know what is true and what is not true......furthermore, we don't even know with any certainty that the parents didn't do something...

i guess the point i trying to make is, in these situations, it is always very easy to blame the parents, but some times I truly believe it's out of their control...

sweeheart ah not blamin no body on this....if that is what my posts telling allyuh, sorry but its not my intention

doc ah hear ya but ah not going that way with power of attorney...nothing like that
i just asking if there was any communications between the University and parents, police and parents, mental insitution and parents...

Nobody in the family picked up on his behavior???
Dat is all my question is ya know.
Dey parents not in Korea, they living in the US and own i believe laundry marts all over the place (correct me if am wrong)

Granted as Licks say we still getting information by the hour on dey hour..so hopefully that question will be answered if not here somewhere.

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2007, 07:17:02 AM »

Ma and Pa ???

Exactly.  It is not something that can easily be understood because it goes outside of what is "normal".  I've been reading the news and I see where every one called him weird, never spoke much, kept to himself.  I went to school with a girl like that.  Except for the weird part.  She was very quiet and pretty much kept to herself.  Spoke very little.  She is a perfectly normal functioning member of society with a husband and children.  How do you resolve those qualities with a "madman".  We are not psychiatrists.  we are not trained to decipher these things.  I think we are all trying to find a resolution to this.  To somehow come up with a checklist so that we can hopefully avoid it in future.  To find some comfort and solice in the hope that we will be safe.  The more I think about it, the less I think that is possible  because different things affect different people differently.   At least in my opinion.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 08:55:00 AM by FursTwin »

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2007, 08:22:10 AM »

Ma and Pa ???

Exactly.  It is not something that can easily be understood because it goes outside of what is "normal".  I've been reading the news and I see where every one called him weird, never spoke much, kept to himself.  I went to school with a girl like that.  Except for the weird part.  She was very quiet and pretty much kept to herself.  Spoke very little.  She is a perfectly normal functioning member of society with a husband and children.  How do you resolve those qualities with a "madman".  We are not psychiatrists.  we are not trained to decipher these things.  I think we are all trying to find a resolution to this.  To somehow come up with a checklist so that we can hopefully avoid it in future.  To find some comfort and solice in the hope that we will be safe.  The more I think about it, the less I think that is possible  because different things affect different people differently.   At least not in my opinion.

yep .. how much "strange" ppl out dere?  Maybe we should lock everybody who does not conform ..

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2007, 08:30:25 AM »
yep .. how much "strange" ppl out dere?  Maybe we should lock everybody who does not conform ..
I did hear you does do weird tings wid chocolate, so you fuss on my list :devil: :devil: :angel: ;)
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2007, 08:40:42 AM »

Ma and Pa ???

sweeheart ah not blamin no body on this....if that is what my posts telling allyuh, sorry but its not my intention

doc ah hear ya but ah not going that way with power of attorney...nothing like that
i just asking if there was any communications between the University and parents, police and parents, mental insitution and parents...

Nobody in the family picked up on his behavior???
Dat is all my question is ya know.

Dey parents not in Korea, they living in the US and own i believe laundry marts all over the place (correct me if am wrong)

Granted as Licks say we still getting information by the hour on dey hour..so hopefully that question will be answered if not here somewhere.

I was only trying to explain the hands off approach to mental illness. I have mentally ill family members, and my response is from information and observation when I interfaced with the system seeking assistance. So I would also assume that that could also have been a possible reaction his family got when the sought assistance as well.
For what that's worth.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 08:42:37 AM by doc »
Live large and prosper!

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2007, 08:47:46 AM »
I did hear you does do weird tings wid chocolate, so you fuss on my list :devil: :devil: :angel: ;)

dais exactly my point .. everybody go get lock up just inc case a few of us go cuckoo

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2007, 10:23:12 AM »
historically the perpetrators of these heinous crimes have been, what appearers to some to be, "glorified"
What I would love to see is that the press concentrate on the victims and heroes and Debate about CONSTRUCTIVE ways in preventing a similar incident from occurring.
so my suggestion in the future is to not even mention de man Name or anything to do with his motives. Leave that for the judiciary system.
Just say that a person did so and so and here are the stories of the victims......not a thing about the madman
Ok you know like when a minor commits a crime the press are not allowed to air their names, well enact a law that does the same for the name of these madmen

see story here

that's a very good point. NBC has been very low in the neilson ratings - i figure the opportunity was too good for them to pass up publishing cho's manifesto. they even had two of cho's "plays" available online - do the victims get this level of exposure?

at the same time, the participants have been dragged into the spotlight. perhaps it is more respectful to the victims and the families to give them some peace instead of trolling for interviews. i for one find the pix of students, parents, etc.. consoling each other very invasive.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2007, 10:39:14 AM »
see story here
that's a very good point. NBC has been very low in the neilson ratings - i figure the opportunity was too good for them to pass up publishing cho's manifesto. they even had two of cho's "plays" available online - do the victims get this level of exposure?
at the same time, the participants have been dragged into the spotlight. perhaps it is more respectful to the victims and the families to give them some peace instead of trolling for interviews. i for one find the pix of students, parents, etc.. consoling each other very invasive.
yes, the media should take into account the victims and how devastated their families must be now and show some class in dealing with them at the moment.
we really have to do it differently
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2007, 01:43:06 PM »
Check wha Stephen King say bout de shooter:

"Cho doesn't strike me as in the least creative, however. Dude was crazy. Dude was, in the memorable phrasing of Nikki Giovanni, ''just mean.'' Essentially there's no story here, except for a paranoid a--hole who went DEFCON-1. He may have been inspired by Columbine, but only because he was too dim to think up such a scenario on his own."

"On the whole, I don't think you can pick these guys out based on their work, unless you look for violence unenlivened by any real talent."

Full article
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20036014,00.html
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2007, 02:07:27 PM »
Nobody in the family picked up on his behavior???Dat is all my question is ya know.

“Picking up on behaviour” is one thing, but what does it have to do with expecting, predicting or even imagining that it would result in an unprecedented, unthinkable act.

It would be different if you say that the parents knew that he had or was interested in guns or if he had a violent history. Those would be red flags, but there is no such evidence.

Twisting up your mind over this and trying to find “answers” might be a waste of time
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2007, 02:13:24 PM »
what u have to understand too, that here in america as soon as you turn 18, you are considered ah adult...parents cya really tell you what to do or how to live yuh life..you in charge..is not like home where you 25 and your parents still telling you you cya go lime wid your friends..

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2007, 02:56:08 PM »
there is a distinction that needs to be made between a responsibility and an interest. yes, cho was ultimately the one responsible for his actions. he was 23 and had left his parent's care, etc..  but who was it that had an interest in cho's actions? who were the stakeholders? who held a stake in the life and actions of this person? can communities survive solely with legalistic definitions of responsibility but without a notion of whose interests are at stake?

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2007, 07:51:29 PM »
JDB, DeSo and Ribbs thank yas :beermug:

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2007, 10:53:33 AM »
long but interesting analysis citing camille paglia and francis fu ku yama:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article1686784.ece
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 10:15:36 AM by ribbit »

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
There is a shift to a "culture of mean,"
« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2007, 07:10:50 AM »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline noname

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2007, 09:32:41 AM »
Nobody in the family picked up on his behavior???Dat is all my question is ya know.

“Picking up on behaviour” is one thing, but what does it have to do with expecting, predicting or even imagining that it would result in an unprecedented, unthinkable act.

It would be different if you say that the parents knew that he had or was interested in guns or if he had a violent history. Those would be red flags, but there is no such evidence.

Twisting up your mind over this and trying to find “answers” might be a waste of time

Well said.

1]; } ?>