March 28, 2024, 12:04:01 PM

Author Topic: Racial slur on sofa label stuns family  (Read 10463 times)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
Re: Racial slur on sofa label stuns family
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2007, 04:05:23 PM »
Dis place beginnin tuh song like ah whore house.  Is plenty f**kin goin orn!! :D

Leh meh grah ah number dey. Ah comin back.

you alrigh yes

all of ah sudden after ah left dis thread meh feel little preg

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2007, 05:18:21 PM »
I promised my self to leave you ppl alone with yuh old talk BC alot of you just to pampered spoon fed and in denial for my taste, and it's very constapating to even try and reason with you ppl, especially with the canadian and trini based, but here goes. all ah yuss who want to be open minded free thinkers,and the look the other wayers let me tell you something, yuh would'nt know what the f#&*k hit yuh when the time come, then you would see who these mutha f#&kers really are, chinesse or other wise. my key breddrin is a fed and he told me the type of buged out shit that's out there you would not believe. ppl plotting all type of f##kry and what's really scary is that they cant keep track of all these groups. so eat drink and be merrily in denial for tomorrow you'll be f##ked. and dont think you safe BC yuh is ah indian or yuh dont look black. all color crab go be in the same barrel heading for the crock. yuh think that nut in oklahoma was acting alone. think again. dont get f##king tie up. for the record these stinking racist china men dogs knew what they was doing they just did'nt give ah flying f#&k. dont you see how they kill their own. do you think if they treat family like that, they'll ever consider the feelings of a bunch of ppl they consider to be monkeys anyway, hell no!!!!               F##k china.

just cool, you is a vietnam vet?

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2007, 07:30:19 PM »

Ask yuh mudda since she used to turn trick in nam.

Just cool, may I quote you?  here is a post you made back on March 20, 2007 to Sam

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=26103.msg290577#msg290577

MR SAM. I don't want no war with you or for that matter no body on this forum boss!! i was simply impling about how some people could hate a people they don't know based on the actions of a few. I apologize for using your name as a referance boss, i didn't think it wouldve involke so much disrespect and venom. I was under the impression you were a classy man, but i guess i was wrong. how my mother got into this conversation? i dont know. I don't use those words to discribe any one on this forum so please refrain from using those words towards me. I admit i was wrong for calling your name, but It's not that serious for you to have cause to dis the program like that brother!!         positive.

So why you bring de man mudda into it when? especially since you say you doh do not ... oh wait .. yuh was joking .. right?

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2007, 07:35:38 PM »
Capital P, how you could quote de man before he could have a CHANGE of heart and delete that post
 :devil:
allya fellas learning from de Knights Templar and de Illuminatti oui
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 07:52:10 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2007, 07:36:25 PM »
Pecan you're totally right and i was way wrong. rabbit my humblest appologies. i lost it briefly.  sorry.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2007, 07:42:31 PM »
you know Ribbit, a lot ah fellas came back from there with no support system, no friends( as they were marginalised by society) and probably suffering from medical/psychological issues.
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2007, 07:43:58 PM »
I promised my self to leave you ppl alone with yuh old talk BC alot of you just to pampered spoon fed and in denial for my taste, and it's very constapating to even try and reason with you ppl, especially with the canadian and trini based, but here goes. all ah yuss who want to be open minded free thinkers,and the look the other wayers let me tell you something, yuh would'nt know what the f#&*k hit yuh when the time come, then you would see who these mutha f#&kers really are, chinesse or other wise. my key breddrin is a fed and he told me the type of buged out shit that's out there you would not believe. ppl plotting all type of f##kry and what's really scary is that they cant keep track of all these groups. so eat drink and be merrily in denial for tomorrow you'll be f##ked. and dont think you safe BC yuh is ah indian or yuh dont look black. all color crab go be in the same barrel heading for the crock. yuh think that nut in oklahoma was acting alone. think again. dont get f##king tie up. for the record these stinking racist china men dogs knew what they was doing they just did'nt give ah flying f#&k. dont you see how they kill their own. do you think if they treat family like that, they'll ever consider the feelings of a bunch of ppl they consider to be monkeys anyway, hell no!!!!               F##k china.

I'm just curious and I actually serious.  Where all dis hate come from dred?  NY dat bad or is it something else.

I think that's where ribbit question about Nam come from.  

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2007, 08:25:24 PM »
Pecan you're totally right and i was way wrong. rabbit my humblest appologies. i lost it briefly.  sorry.

no harm no foul boss. people use this forum for all kind of thing. to vent, to pass some picong, to pontificate, to troll, to badtalk, to educate, to enlighten, to amuse.

you know Ribbit, a lot ah fellas came back from there with no support system, no friends( as they were marginalised by society) and probably suffering from medical/psychological issues.

military eh easy atall. i read a bit of that dallaire book about how when he came back from rwanda they found him curled up underneath a park bench.  :-\

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2007, 08:36:52 PM »

I'm just curious and I actually serious.  Where all dis hate come from dred?  NY dat bad or is it something else.

I think that's where ribbit question about Nam come from. 
A regular sherlock holms.    iee gad.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2007, 07:26:19 AM »
Dis place beginnin tuh song like ah whore house.  Is plenty f**kin goin orn!! :D

you alrigh yes

As long as yuh didn't have tuh ask when it done ..."Is dat it?"   :devil:
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2007, 02:26:12 PM »
another example of "Chinglish"

This was in today's  National Post (a leader in right wing propaganda  :devil:)

In case yuh cyar read the caption, here is what it says

Two Chinese men walk past a sign at a pay parking lot in Bejing which mistakenly spelled "pee" instead of "Fee".

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2007, 04:20:51 PM »

Two Chinese men walk past a sign at a pay parking lot in Bejing which mistakenly spelled "pee" instead of "Fee".

National Post, american news paper right ???
Anyway that wasn't a 'mistake' i'm sure....

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2007, 07:21:40 PM »

National Post, american news paper right ???
Anyway that wasn't a 'mistake' i'm sure....

Canadian  .. .dais de one Dutty is pong on me head whenever I quote dem

ah doh tink is a mistake .. watch de man in de front .. is pee he peeing oui.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2007, 08:18:50 PM »
you alrigh yes
arm........as i was perusing this thread again I stumbled across this comment
maybe ya need to have ah birds and bees talk again ;)
you cyar get ah little preg from reading dese posts in here eh ;D
i goin and hide hehind de sofa oui :D :D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 08:21:32 PM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2007, 09:58:48 PM »
you alrigh yes
arm........as i was perusing this thread again I stumbled across this comment
maybe ya need to have ah birds and bees talk again ;)
you cyar get ah little preg from reading dese posts in here eh ;D
i goin and hide hehind de sofa oui :D :D

yeah hide and put ah newspaper over ya head....

Offline d1onlysexysugar

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2007, 02:34:01 PM »

you alrigh yes

:whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:
ADM

truetrini

« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2007, 06:49:06 AM »
Aye I  jus readin de board....apparently if yuh canada or Trini based yuh mind is closed

Only de states have enlightenment

F##k Nepal
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: firsttimers in here go think we effin crazy...lol
dem fresh/or stagnant water yankee who say they have tirni ancestry adbot the holier than thou american attitude
or maybe they brign that from blue range

but de man right...canadians closed minded and high handed and is dem who fuh de mst part holier dan thou! :devil:

seriously though, that label cannot be anything but a translation error.

http://www.xeni.net/trek/archives/2006_09_03_archive.html

or maybe Yao ming head home for too long?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 06:56:33 AM by truetrini »

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
Chinese translation error blamed for slur on sofa label
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2007, 08:02:45 PM »

TORONTO, Ontario (AP) -- Doris Moore was shocked when her new couch was delivered to her Toronto home with a label that used a racial slur to describe the dark brown shade of the upholstery.

The situation was even more alarming for Moore because it was her 7-year-old daughter who pointed out "nigger brown" on the tag.

"My daughter saw the label and she knew the color brown, but didn't know what the other word meant. She asked, 'Mommy, what color is that?' I was stunned. I didn't know what to say. I never thought that's how she'd learn of that word," Moore said.

The mother complained to the furniture store, which blamed the supplier, who pointed to a computer problem as the source of the derogatory label

Kingsoft Corp., a Chinese software company, acknowledged its translation program was at fault and said it was a regrettable error.

"I know this is a very bad word," Huang Luoyi, a product manager for the Beijing-based company's translation software, told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.

He explained that when the Chinese characters for "dark brown" are typed into an older version of its Chinese-English translation software, the offensive description comes up.

"We got the definition from a Chinese-English dictionary. We've been using the dictionary for 10 years. Maybe the dictionary was updated, but we probably didn't follow suit," he said.
Moore, who is black, said Kingsoft's acknowledgment of a mistake does not make her feel better.

"They should know what they are typing, even if it is a software error," she said. "In order for something to come into the country, don't they read it first? Doesn't the manufacturer? The supplier?"

Romesh Vanaik, owner of Vanaik Furniture, where Moore bought the sofa, said it has been a best seller. He said he checked his stock but found no other couch with the offensive label.

"It's amazing. I've been here since 1972 and I never knew the meaning of this word," said Vanaik, a native of India.  ::)

His supplier, Paul Kumar of Cosmos Furniture in Toronto, denied responsibility and refused to give the name of the couch's Chinese manufacturer.

"It's not my fault. It's not the manufacturers' fault," he said, adding that Kingsoft was to blame.

Huang said Kingsoft has worked to correct the translation error. In the 2007 version, typing "dark brown" in Chinese does not produce the racial slur in English. But if the offensive term is typed in English, the Chinese translation is "dark brown," he said.

Moore is consulting with a lawyer and wants compensation. Last week, she filed a report with the Ontario Human Rights Commission.

Commission spokeswoman Afroze Edwards said the case is in the initial stages and could take six months to two years to resolve.

Moore, 30, has three young children, and said the issue has taken a toll on her family.

"Something more has to be done. We don't just need a personal apology, but someone needs to own up to where these labels were made, and someone needs to apologize to all people of color," Moore said. "I had friends over from St. Lucia yesterday and they wouldn't sit on the couch."

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese translation error blamed for slur on sofa label
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2007, 08:46:25 AM »

Moore is consulting with a lawyer and wants compensation. Last week, she filed a report with the Ontario Human Rights Commission.

Commission spokeswoman Afroze Edwards said the case is in the initial stages and could take six months to two years to resolve.

Moore, 30, has three young children, and said the issue has taken a toll on her family.

"Something more has to be done. We don't just need a personal apology, but someone needs to own up to where these labels were made, and someone needs to apologize to all people of color," Moore said. "I had friends over from St. Lucia yesterday and they wouldn't sit on the couch."

What!!!!

Sound like opportunists to me looking money.

Maybe she should go after all de rap artists too.

Or return de couch if nobody want to sit on it.

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2007, 08:57:21 AM »

What!!!!

Exactly.  Absolutely ridiculous.  Is only black people buy dat sofa?  It only had one in de store?  Ridiculous!!  >:(  >:(
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2007, 09:51:04 AM »
What!!!!
Exactly.  Absolutely ridiculous.  Is only black people buy dat sofa?  It only had one in de store?  Ridiculous!!  >:(  >:(
allya give de lady a bligh nuh
you ent see she and she chirren real suffer
knowing that EVERYTIME they sit on dat blasted sofa they know what is written on the tag
oh gaum  that is torture oui

personally I dont understand why she does not just cut the offending label off ;)
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2007, 10:20:19 AM »
steups
blasted chupidness  >:(

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2007, 10:35:20 AM »
What!!!!
knowing that EVERYTIME they sit on dat blasted sofa they know what is written on the tag

personally I dont understand why she does not just cut the offending label off ;)

cut a couple a poom on de sofa .. dat go teach dem blasted foreign

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2007, 12:21:46 PM »
What!!!!

Let's see how long she will milk her 5 mins of fame.

>:(   >:(   >:(

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2007, 12:56:35 PM »
steupss..ah tort it was ah nice sofa...now because of ah label it turns bad/ugly  ??? just take the bleedy label orf..or return it if it causing so much distress and get back yuh money... :-\

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2007, 09:19:00 AM »
steups
 rappers and comedians using that word along with other derogatory terms to make money everyday. Who complaining bout them?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 09:21:27 AM by sammy »
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

1]; } ?>