April 29, 2024, 02:32:24 AM

Author Topic: Hughes Hails Old-Stager Latapy  (Read 3438 times)

Offline BigToe

• Hero Warrior
  • Laaaaard, ah cyan take it no more
    • View Profile
Hughes Hails Old-Stager Latapy
« on: April 10, 2007, 12:06:47 AM »

Falkirk manager John Hughes claims playmaker Russell Latapy should be a contender for Scotland's Player of the Year award after inspiring the win over St Mirren.

The 38-year-old Trinidadian was instrumental as the Bairns claimed a deserved 2-0 home victory over the relegation-threatened Love Street men in the Bank of Scotland Premier League.

Pedro Moutinho and Stephen O'Donnell struck first-half goals for the Bairns, but it was Latapy who was the most impressive performer with his precise passing.

Seventh-placed Falkirk have now retained their top-flight status before the league split and Hughes believes Latapy deserves recognition.

He said: "I think there was a masterclass from Latapy in midfield. He and Patrick Cregg drifted into spaces to ask questions of St Mirren and it worked a treat.

"Russell doesn't realise what he is bringing to the club with his training and the young kids watching his skills.

"He is different class. What he is doing for my club is absolutely fantastic - he has got another year in him.

"Why isn't there an older player of the year (award)? Because that is an achievement in its own for somebody still to be playing over 34 or 35.

"He would certainly win that hands down. But I wouldn't be surprised if he's not there or thereabouts for the Player of the Year. He is just great to work with."

On following up their victory over Celtic with another success, Hughes added: "It was top drawer.

"I couldn't have asked for better than that as we passed the ball really well. Some of the stuff that we played was right up there and we could have scored maybe one or two more.

"To be safe before the split, that was the whole remit for this club and I'm delighted.

"If we can go on and keeping picking up results we might go and get that seventh spot."

Meanwhile, St Mirren boss Gus MacPherson admitted his disappointment at the result - but was thankful the six-point gap to rock-bottom Dunfermline remains intact after the Pars lost at Motherwell.

MacPherson, who was without Falkirk target John Sutton due to an ankle injury, said: "It was extremely disappointing.

"But we can't take anything away from Falkirk. They played extremely well, but we've made it easy for them at times.

"We've played decent for most of the season and made it awkward for teams, but on the day Falkirk have passed the ball very, very well.

"It's what we do, not Dunfermline. We've got to take care of our own result and we won't forget that performance for a while.

"The gap is still there and we have our game in hand on Wednesday night, albeit against Hibs."

What could have been? 22 minutes was just not enough!

Offline black chinee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Hughes Hails Old-Stager Latapy
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 05:43:24 AM »
OOHHH  GWAD here we go again ;) ;)

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 06:34:28 AM »
black chinee....that debate will never end.....its called folklore.....

Offline Fantastic

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 10:35:55 AM »
Beenie, yuh wicked bloodclat yuh. Cyah think of nutten evil enough to get yuh back. Yuh mash up we country, yuh make man kidnap businessman, yuh make man shoot dey brethren, yuh make fantastic cry, well nearly cry ;D.   Long live LATAS!!!!!!!!!
Doh loss yuh head boss

Offline Texastrini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 03:18:36 PM »
aight so i latas is my all time favourite trini baller and beenie f*** him and we up for the WC but who else seeing the big time mamaguy from hughes 8)  ah mean latas deserve all the praise he gettin an ting but it reach the point where is almost like hughes kissin he a**.  my feeling is that latas givin out a vibes that he want to call it quits after this season but hughes know that is in the best interest of falkirk if latas stick around for another season.  is jus me or anybody else thinking that?

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 04:51:11 PM »
Ah was beginning to think de same ting as you texas, but then ah realize that is a old report that BigToe post. So I've decided to reserve judgement fuh de time being.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 07:51:33 PM »
Beenie, yuh wicked bloodclat yuh. Cyah think of nutten evil enough to get yuh back. Yuh mash up we country, yuh make man kidnap businessman, yuh make man shoot dey brethren, yuh make fantastic cry, well nearly cry ;D.   Long live LATAS!!!!!!!!!
make man kidnap businessman?,man shoot there brethren? i don't think he caused that, it's those stupid people in we country that making us look bad, not beenie.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 08:54:05 PM »
mose and texas....behave....serious
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 08:55:50 PM »
make man kidnap businessman?,man shoot there brethren? i don't think he caused that, it's those stupid people in we country that making us look bad, not beenie.

you need to get you an appointment with Dr. Sarcasm...stat

Offline Fantastic

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 06:59:42 AM »
Thank you Filho. I just expressing my hurt by trying to blame Beenie fuh anything bad ah could think of, and Trini Airman have mih feeling guilty now.  ;D  Beenie ah sorry, Trini Airman ah sorry. Latas is a boss, but Hughes starting to annoy mih fuh true.  No coach going to continue to publicize and glorify Latas play and keep talking about him not running in practice and coming in late and shit. Even if he allowing that because of Latas talent, why he want de whole world to know that? Anyway, hope he could influence Wim to try de same tactics so we could really enjoy Latas in a few more sendoff national games and not as forlorn character on a bench watching Theobald? Wise? Whitley? In fact ah take back mih apology, Beenie yuh is still a big stinking dawg
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 07:02:51 AM by Fantastic »
Doh loss yuh head boss

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 05:42:19 PM »
Shunsuke Nakamura hails Russell Latapy
The Herald

Shunsuke Nakamura has committed himself to phase three of the Gordon Strachan era at Celtic and has promised to be better than ever. The Japanese playmaker was shortlisted for the Scottish Professional Footballers' Association player of the year award, in association with Royal Mail, but despite inevitable interest from across Europe after his Champions League exploits, Nakamura allayed the fears of Celtic fans by expressing his contentment in Scotland.

Nakamura has not only illuminated Parkhead at the highest level of club football this season but has also fully adjusted to the demands of the Bank of Scotland Premierleague. His winning goal against Manchester United encapsulated his worth to Gordon Strachan's side and enhanced his iconic status among the supporters.

He has won praise from Sir Alex Ferguson and caught the attention of Europe's elite club but plans on providing an even greater contribution next season, when Celtic face a renewed challenge from their Old Firm rivals, Rangers, and attempt to build on this season's historic progression past the Champions League group stages.

"If I feel I can be in the condition to improve then I will definitely stay," said Nakamura yesterday, having been nominated along with Artur Boruc, Lee Naylor and Aberdeen's Russell Anderson by his peers. "The main thing is the fans can make players improve with their support. We have learned a lot and we have a great chance of doing even better next season."

Strachan has already acclaimed Nakamura's obsessive approach to the game. He celebrated his matchwinning free-kick against Manchester United with a work-out in the Parkhead gym and the manager has cited him as the highest example of a modern-day footballer. He also revealed he was more concerned by the barely detectable errors made during the victory than basking in the glory of a free-kick described by the former Celtic player, Davie Provan, as the best he has ever seen.

"It was a huge goal but more in terms of the importance of qualification from the group stages rather than individual skill," he said modestly. "It was a dead-ball after all. I was more concerned at that point thinking about the mistakes I made in the match and what I should have done in some instances."

Manchester United's subsequent mauling of AS Roma in the quarter-finals has made Celtic's feats in the Champions League all the more creditable. It has also set a benchmark for future achievement. "I have played Roma before and they are a very strong side," said the man signed from Reggina. "Watching the Manchester United game was a surprise but then they played really well and maybe were in better condition. We have lots to be proud of because we only lost 3-2 at Old Trafford and won at Celtic Park. It shows we can compete at that level and now we have to learn from our experiences and improve for next season."

His magical skills and dead-ball expertise have earned the highest praise, and been recognised by his fellow professionals. Nakamura has acknowledged a kindred spirit further down the league by offering his vote to Russell Latapy. The Falkirk midfielder may be approaching 40 but Nakamura is a fan of his timeless skills, and gave high praise to an artist at the other end of the age scale.

"I voted for Russell Latapy because he has proper skills and you do not see many players like him," he explained. "It's special when you are voted for by your fellow professionals and I am delighted about it. It is something you cannot get, though, without the help and support of your team-mates, and I will not forget that.

"I am really happy at Celtic and we have some really good players here. Aiden is a young talent with a great future ahead of him but we have a blend of youth and experience, which is important if we want to develop as a team."

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 06:05:59 PM »
Shunsuke Nakamura hails Russell Latapy
The Herald

Shunsuke Nakamura has committed himself to phase three of the Gordon Strachan era at Celtic and has promised to be better than ever. The Japanese playmaker was shortlisted for the Scottish Professional Footballers' Association player of the year award, in association with Royal Mail, but despite inevitable interest from across Europe after his Champions League exploits, Nakamura allayed the fears of Celtic fans by expressing his contentment in Scotland.

Nakamura has not only illuminated Parkhead at the highest level of club football this season but has also fully adjusted to the demands of the Bank of Scotland Premierleague. His winning goal against Manchester United encapsulated his worth to Gordon Strachan's side and enhanced his iconic status among the supporters.

He has won praise from Sir Alex Ferguson and caught the attention of Europe's elite club but plans on providing an even greater contribution next season, when Celtic face a renewed challenge from their Old Firm rivals, Rangers, and attempt to build on this season's historic progression past the Champions League group stages.

"If I feel I can be in the condition to improve then I will definitely stay," said Nakamura yesterday, having been nominated along with Artur Boruc, Lee Naylor and Aberdeen's Russell Anderson by his peers. "The main thing is the fans can make players improve with their support. We have learned a lot and we have a great chance of doing even better next season."

Strachan has already acclaimed Nakamura's obsessive approach to the game. He celebrated his matchwinning free-kick against Manchester United with a work-out in the Parkhead gym and the manager has cited him as the highest example of a modern-day footballer. He also revealed he was more concerned by the barely detectable errors made during the victory than basking in the glory of a free-kick described by the former Celtic player, Davie Provan, as the best he has ever seen.

"It was a huge goal but more in terms of the importance of qualification from the group stages rather than individual skill," he said modestly. "It was a dead-ball after all. I was more concerned at that point thinking about the mistakes I made in the match and what I should have done in some instances."

Manchester United's subsequent mauling of AS Roma in the quarter-finals has made Celtic's feats in the Champions League all the more creditable. It has also set a benchmark for future achievement. "I have played Roma before and they are a very strong side," said the man signed from Reggina. "Watching the Manchester United game was a surprise but then they played really well and maybe were in better condition. We have lots to be proud of because we only lost 3-2 at Old Trafford and won at Celtic Park. It shows we can compete at that level and now we have to learn from our experiences and improve for next season."

His magical skills and dead-ball expertise have earned the highest praise, and been recognised by his fellow professionals. Nakamura has acknowledged a kindred spirit further down the league by offering his vote to Russell Latapy. The Falkirk midfielder may be approaching 40 but Nakamura is a fan of his timeless skills, and gave high praise to an artist at the other end of the age scale.

"I voted for Russell Latapy because he has proper skills and you do not see many players like him," he explained. "It's special when you are voted for by your fellow professionals and I am delighted about it. It is something you cannot get, though, without the help and support of your team-mates, and I will not forget that.

"I am really happy at Celtic and we have some really good players here. Aiden is a young talent with a great future ahead of him but we have a blend of youth and experience, which is important if we want to develop as a team."

why some people kyah see that Latas only playing good now ? He couldnīt even make de Soca warriors some months ago ...not even for a practice game ...de coach only give him a bligh because of crowd pressure...

ah swear de whole ah Movie town went up when Latas came on though !
...and it was the first time in the tournament when I didnīt feel like my team was on de backfoot ...an almost jump to ketch dat volly Latas leggo yes ! Just a little lower ...just ah little lower ..
dem  paraguay midfielders must be still wondering how all dem spaces just open just so ...
The odder day ah challenge anybody to prove even now dat latas kyah make de team ....no answer yet !

1]; } ?>