April 28, 2024, 07:36:54 PM

Author Topic: Test team post world cup  (Read 2066 times)

Offline RRamdin

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Test team post world cup
« on: April 09, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »
who would be ur test teams and odi teams for the forthcoming series after the world cup, if all players were fit; please explain some of the more unusual selections if you know what i mean: Also lets assume Lara stays with his decision that he will continue to play test cricket and not ODI cricket after the world cup.

Test
1. D.Ganga: now proven that he can perform at test-level
2. Devon Smith: I believe he has been treated harshly in the past, and has not been given a long enough run in the team.
3. R.Sarwan: Needs to start performing now consistently. Will start to enter his peak and needs to start fulfilling his undoubted potential
4. C.Gayle: Batting lower down the order could be the answer to enhance his game. Struggles against swing bowling early on so could profit against an older ball.
5. B.Lara (C): Although I have said earlier that maybe Lara should retire, many of u have said that this is not the answer. Unlike Michael Holding and co. I believe that if Lara is in the team he must be captain, there is no better alternative at the moment although splitting the test and odi captaincys only time will tell.
6. S.Chanderpaul: Shiv at 6 gives us a more solid order, than Dwayne "I cant play through the off-side Bravo".
7. D.Ramdin: His batting and keeping in this tournament has reinforced my belief in him. Still raw though, there is an argument for maybe somebody more experienced like C.Baugh taking the gloves for the moment, while Ramdin goes back and works on his skills
8. O.Banks: It is time we follow everyone else in the world and pick a spinner, if just to offer variety. I pick him above Mohammed, because they are basically the same in terms of ability but Banks is a far better batsman and a good athlete in the field. Could be our version of Giles
9. J.Taylor: I won't even bother to offer an explanation
10.D.Powell: His performances in the world cup shows that he deserves an extended chance in the test team.
11. F.Edwards: If fit and firing he is our one wicket-taking bowler, although he does bowl a load of rubbish at times.

Collymore: I have left him out because I feel although he is a fine bowler, with good accuracy he is not quick enough I believe Powell could be groomed to fulfill his role as the stock bowler in the attack

Bravo: For me only one of Bravo's attributes at the moment are of international class; his fielding. His batting or bowling are not good enough as yet to merit selection in either discipline. I would suggest that he goes away for a while and try and turn himself into a "Styris" type all-rounder. Solid batsman who can bowl.

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Test team post world cup
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 12:11:45 PM »
The only changes i would make to your team are Mohammed for Banks as Mohammed is a wrist spinner wheras Banks is a finger spinner and it is very rare that you find wrist spinners. Mohammed deserves an extended run in the team after his excellent domestic performances.

I dont mind the 3 pace bowlers you have put in there. If Daren Powell continues to show top quality performance in ODIs and transfers it to tests then i would put him in, but if he doesnt then i would quickly go back to Collymore.

Like you i would also leave Bravo out until his bowling actually becomes test standard. At the moment it is too inconsistent. I dont have many critcisms about his batting. I just dont like the fact that his bowling has not improved seeing as though he is supposed to be our all rounder for the next 10 years.

1. Ganga
2. Devon Smith
3. Sarwan
4. Lara
5. Chanderpaul
6. Gayle
7. Ramdin
8. Mohammed
9. Taylor
10. Collymore/Powell
11. Edwards
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 12:30:41 PM by Remie »

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 12:30:32 PM »
Ravi Rampaul needs to be in there at some stage, I think he is very good with respect to controlled line and length like Collymore but with more wicket taking ability as well as the ability to bowl the inswinging yorker, he deserves a chance as well. Fidel Edwards i don't fancy, his control is wayward and Taylor is just as fast.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

TrinInfinite

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 01:23:20 PM »
who would be ur test teams and odi teams for the forthcoming series after the world cup, if all players were fit; please explain some of the more unusual selections if you know what i mean: Also lets assume Lara stays with his decision that he will continue to play test cricket and not ODI cricket after the world cup.

Test
1. D.Ganga: now proven that he can perform at test-level
2. Devon Smith: I believe he has been treated harshly in the past, and has not been given a long enough run in the team.
3. R.Sarwan: Needs to start performing now consistently. Will start to enter his peak and needs to start fulfilling his undoubted potential
4. C.Gayle: Batting lower down the order could be the answer to enhance his game. Struggles against swing bowling early on so could profit against an older ball.
5. B.Lara (C): Although I have said earlier that maybe Lara should retire, many of u have said that this is not the answer. Unlike Michael Holding and co. I believe that if Lara is in the team he must be captain, there is no better alternative at the moment although splitting the test and odi captaincys only time will tell.
6. S.Chanderpaul: Shiv at 6 gives us a more solid order, than Dwayne "I cant play through the off-side Bravo".
7. D.Ramdin: His batting and keeping in this tournament has reinforced my belief in him. Still raw though, there is an argument for maybe somebody more experienced like C.Baugh taking the gloves for the moment, while Ramdin goes back and works on his skills
8. O.Banks: It is time we follow everyone else in the world and pick a spinner, if just to offer variety. I pick him above Mohammed, because they are basically the same in terms of ability but Banks is a far better batsman and a good athlete in the field. Could be our version of Giles
9. J.Taylor: I won't even bother to offer an explanation
10.D.Powell: His performances in the world cup shows that he deserves an extended chance in the test team.
11. F.Edwards: If fit and firing he is our one wicket-taking bowler, although he does bowl a load of rubbish at times.

Collymore: I have left him out because I feel although he is a fine bowler, with good accuracy he is not quick enough I believe Powell could be groomed to fulfill his role as the stock bowler in the attack

Bravo: For me only one of Bravo's attributes at the moment are of international class; his fielding. His batting or bowling are not good enough as yet to merit selection in either discipline. I would suggest that he goes away for a while and try and turn himself into a "Styris" type all-rounder. Solid batsman who can bowl.

i hate being insultive but from time you pick banks over mohammed, you dont know what de hell you doin, ganga and gayle average right below greenidge and haynes, why upset that chemistry? ??? banks is nowhere close to mohammed... what u smoking breddah? leavin colly off the test...yuh mad or wha...

God is de BOSS...

Offline RRamdin

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 02:28:02 PM »
I can understand ur disbelief at me picking Banks over Mohammed...actually I can't. If you look at the stats Banks and Mohammed are similiar; in fact Bank's record is better than Mohammeds. I simply pick Banks because he is a better all-round cricketer than Mohammed and can add strength to our lower order.

Yeah by all means Ganga and Gayle have been our best partnership since Greenidge and Haynes, but in order to be back to where we were in world cricket we need to have a partnership better than those two. Plus Gayle is vulnerable to swing bowling and the ball outside off-stump. I believe his game will come on even more if moved into the middle-order.

And with regards to Collymore...he is a fine bowler, very accurate but he's not quick enough or tall enough for that matter to trouble the best batsman and take wickets. I believe if Powell was to continue his good form he can replace and even better collymores contribution.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 02:41:34 PM »
next tournament is 20/20 later this year. same team as odi ???

TrinInfinite

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 09:55:35 PM »
I can understand ur disbelief at me picking Banks over Mohammed...actually I can't. If you look at the stats Banks and Mohammed are similiar; in fact Bank's record is better than Mohammeds. I simply pick Banks because he is a better all-round cricketer than Mohammed and can add strength to our lower order.

Yeah by all means Ganga and Gayle have been our best partnership since Greenidge and Haynes, but in order to be back to where we were in world cricket we need to have a partnership better than those two. Plus Gayle is vulnerable to swing bowling and the ball outside off-stump. I believe his game will come on even more if moved into the middle-order.

And with regards to Collymore...he is a fine bowler, very accurate but he's not quick enough or tall enough for that matter to trouble the best batsman and take wickets. I believe if Powell was to continue his good form he can replace and even better collymores contribution.

please show me the stats where banks has better figures and is a better bowler than mohammed, show me banks 50 wicket season and his variation of diff balls, show me his match winning capabilities, your clueless, show me banks 10 wicket hauls in a 4 day match, show me his ability to change an odi in 2-3 overs, show me his bess figures against south africa, show me his figures against india,your oblivious to sense and facts... please show me the figures bc we have posted them not to long ago and unless your illiterate you must be reading a comic strip...

God is de BOSS...

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 11:40:54 PM »
 Jus so allyuh dropping Bravo like de man ent perform in tests ?

Allyuh is some yutefull jokers yes.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 04:06:51 AM »
Jus so allyuh dropping Bravo like de man ent perform in tests ?

Allyuh is some yutefull jokers yes.

If your happy with him continuing to bowl average in test matches whilst batting well for the next 10 years then fair enough. I just want to give him an incentive to improve his bowling because he has some very good raw materials and i dont think he is maximising them.

Offline RRamdin

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 05:27:25 AM »

please show me the stats where banks has better figures and is a better bowler than mohammed, show me banks 50 wicket season and his variation of diff balls, show me his match winning capabilities, your clueless, show me banks 10 wicket hauls in a 4 day match, show me his ability to change an odi in 2-3 overs, show me his bess figures against south africa, show me his figures against india,your oblivious to sense and facts... please show me the figures bc we have posted them not to long ago and unless your illiterate you must be reading a comic strip...

God is de BOSS...

You urself must be illiterate also because if you read my post, I said that there is nothing to separate Mohammed's and Bank's bowling. Both are of similiar standard back up by their international stats:
Banks 28 wickets at 48.82 in tests, 7 wickets at 27 in odi's. Mohammed 13 wickets @ 51.38 in tests, 8 wickets @ 21.25 in Odi's. Their stats are fairly similiar; hence why I want to go with the person who is the better all-round cricketer; batsman and bowler, which is Banks. And I don't really care about domestic performances. Mohammed is taking wickets against average west indian batsman playing first class cricket. We West Indians have never been the most accomplished at playing spin-particularly wrist spin so wat must the batsman playing first class cricket be like. Mohammed is taking wickets against average batsman so please don't tell me about his wicket-taking ability in first-class cricket, it is in the international arena where it matters and from the stats so far both Banks and Mohammed have similiar stats. And ask for variations, I agree he has good variations but with a wrist spinner I would expect him to.

Offline RRamdin

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 05:30:51 AM »
With regards to Bravo, I still don't believe his batting is quite there as yet. He should do like Flintoff and go back to first-class cricket and continue to hone his skills.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 08:05:11 PM »
Drop all the old guys.  Appoint Ganga captain and blood young players who will get battle hardened after a few losses. Take Simmons, Bravo, Ramdin, Devon Smith, Pollard, Taylor, Edwards, Sarwan (for the last opportunity) Sharmar Brooks, Adrian Bharath, Mohammed and the best of the U-19 bunch.  I am tired of seeing the old guys lose.  We might as well lose with young promising players.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

1]; } ?>