March 29, 2024, 10:02:14 AM

Author Topic: South Africa to honour Eric Williams  (Read 6767 times)

Offline Pro-Jayz

• Sr. Warrior
  • Is ah long time since ah went Gulf City!
    • View Profile
South Africa to honour Eric Williams
« on: April 10, 2007, 10:44:55 PM »
http://news.bn.gs/article.php?story=20070408234107853

PRETORIA, Republic of South Africa (April 8, 2007) — On April 24, 2007, the President of the Republic of South Africa, His Excellency Thabo Mvuyelwa Mbeki, will bestow posthumously on Dr. Eric Williams, the first Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago, South Africa’s SUPREME ORDER OF THE COMPANIONS OF O.R. TAMBO (Gold). The tribute, in recognition of Dr. Williams’ commitment to peace and co-operation, and his inspiration to South Africa’s own quest for unity and harmony, will be received by his daughter, Erica Williams Connell in Pretoria.

A noted Caribbean statesman, consummate historian and head of government for a quarter of a century until his death in 1981, Dr. Williams was consistently passionate in his denouncement of and activism against apartheid. He led his country to Independence from Britain in 1962 and onto Republicanism in 1976. His seminal work, Capitalism and Slavery (taught in South Africa as a means of resistance during that era and translated into eight languages – Russian, Chinese, Japanese and Korean, among them), according to Duke University Professor William Darity, “…must be addressed by any serious scholar of slavery and the slave trade,”

“The vision…during our struggle for liberation was…strikingly similar to the vision of that great West Indian historian and prime minister, Eric Williams…[who] directly addressed the great diversity of his country in the cause of national unity:

‘There can be no Mother India for those whose ancestors came from India. There can be no Mother Africa for those of African origin. There can be no Mother England and no dual loyalties. There can be no Mother China even if one could agree as to which China is the Mother; and there can be no Mother Syria and no Mother Lebanon. A nation, like an individual, can have only one Mother and Mother cannot discriminate between her children.’

This is the wisdom that we too apply, in our quest for a single South Africa,” wrote President

Mbeki in his Foreword to the 2005 book: Timol: A Quest for Justice by Imtiaz Cajee.

Dr. Williams’ example continues to be a force in South Africa’s fight against hegemony, and the President praised Williams for the latter’s untiring efforts in this regard in his 2005 feature address at the 50th anniversary of the Bandung Conference, which marked a turning point in the mobilization of Third World peoples against imperialism - both past and present.

Instituted by President Mbeki to reflect the new spirit of South Africa, to create a history of South Africa’s achievements, and to provide motivation to future citizens, the Supreme Order of the Companions of O.R. Tambo can be offered in three classes, of which the ‘Gold’ is the pinnacle. It is reserved specifically for foreign nationals and dignitaries - to persons who have made an exceptional contribution to the struggle against apartheid and non-racial democracy in South Africa, and who have established their active expression of friendship towards the Republic.

The award is named after the late Oliver Reginald Tambo, president of the African National Congress in exile. Tambo was highly instrumental in giving a voice to the international movement against racism and apartheid. The Majola, or mole snake, is its symbol. In African mythology, the Majola visits new born babies to prepare them for a safe and successful life. Along with the oval badge, which depicts the watchful Majola and the universal ying and yang, symbolizing the consolidation of diverse spiritual energy, recipients receive a carved walking stick representing the country’s appreciation for the support and solidarity demonstrated, and its pledge of reciprocation. Previous foreign awardees include Mahatma Gandhi, former Zambian President Kenneth Kaunda (with whose assistance President Mbeki escaped into exile in England in the early sixties) and the late Swedish Prime Minister Olof Palme. The distinction paid to Eric Williams at this time underscores President Mbeki’s intellectual traditions, at a time when South Africa has gained a seat on the United Nations Security Council.

Thabo Mbeki succeeded Nelson Mandela as the second democratic president of South Africa in 1999 and was re-elected for a second term in 2004. Like Dr.Williams, President Mbeki is considered to be an academic who has fought hard for peace and unity in South Africa. His forthcoming official biography by Ronald Suresh Roberts will be dedicated to Eric Williams.
only born in Santa Cruz BUT RAISED IN SAN FERNANDO..so dont get tied up!...I FROM SOUTH!

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: South Africa to honour Eric Williams
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 01:26:11 AM »
 :applause: :applause:
" ‘There can be no Mother India for those whose ancestors came from India. There can be no Mother Africa for those of African origin. There can be no Mother England and no dual loyalties. There can be no Mother China even if one could agree as to which China is the Mother; and there can be no Mother Syria and no Mother Lebanon. A nation, like an individual, can have only one Mother and Mother cannot discriminate between her children.’ "
very well said Father.
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 09:48:28 AM »
The article fails to mention among Dr. Eric Williams' many accolades....that he is a QRC Man!  ;)  All jokes aside though, this is truly an honour for our country, not unlike the Black Star on the Ghanian flag being representitive of "The Black Star Trading Company" (correction?) as founded by Marcus Garvey.

:applause: :applause:
" ‘There can be no Mother India for those whose ancestors came from India. There can be no Mother Africa for those of African origin. There can be no Mother England and no dual loyalties. There can be no Mother China even if one could agree as to which China is the Mother; and there can be no Mother Syria and no Mother Lebanon. A nation, like an individual, can have only one Mother and Mother cannot discriminate between her children.’ "
very well said Father.

Ditto!

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 10:00:11 AM »
It amazes me that so many years after a man dies he is still being bestowed with accolades. He was a great man indeed.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 10:05:24 AM »
Here here here!!!!!! What  another honour for one of our eldery stateman, our nation and our heritage. An educator, and a leader I truly admired from my youthful days.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 10:08:56 AM »
It amazes me that so many years after a man dies he is still being bestowed with accolades. He was a great man indeed.

I was tempted to start my post with: "Politics aside...." but decided to leave politics out of it and go a little more on the humorous side instead.   The man is probably Our country's greatest scholars.

P.S. Jah Gol, lemme tief yuh caption bout de "Copa" nuh?  Ah go change de picture becuz I duz only wear  de "World Cup", and being a ex military man meself....... ;D

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 10:19:27 AM »

I was tempted to start my post with: "Politics aside...." but decided to leave politics out of it and go a little more on the humorous side instead.   The man is probably Our country's greatest scholars. P.S. Jah Gol, lemme tief yuh caption bout de "Copa" nuh?  Ah go change de picture becuz I duz only wear  de "World Cup", and being a ex military man meself....... ;D
i would argue CLR JAmes was the greatest scholar of trinidad and tobago
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 10:26:27 AM »

I was tempted to start my post with: "Politics aside...." but decided to leave politics out of it and go a little more on the humorous side instead.   The man is probably Our country's greatest scholars. P.S. Jah Gol, lemme tief yuh caption bout de "Copa" nuh?  Ah go change de picture becuz I duz only wear  de "World Cup", and being a ex military man meself....... ;D

Well, Hoe, (in my best Don Imus tone  ;D no hard feelings) yuh might could argue dat.....but yuh jes replacin' one QRC Man.....with another!  (doh take me on I jes' on kicks) but you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that.  I think that more scholarly men than myself can make a case for either of these great scholars.   :beermug: :beermug:  Respek.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 10:29:41 AM »

now THAT is a heavyweight battle. black jacobins vs. capitalism and slavery.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 10:31:47 AM »
Does one have to be better? Can't we just delight in the fact that our nation has produced such immense educational talent for the world?

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 10:34:14 AM »

Well, Hoe, (in my best Don Imus tone  ;D no hard feelings) yuh might could argue dat.....but yuh jes replacin' one QRC Man.....with another!  (doh take me on I jes' on kicks) but you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that.  I think that more scholarly men than myself can make a case for either of these great scholars.   :beermug: :beermug:  Respek.
lol..i hear u. BUt tirni ahve so much shcolars that go unhearld(is that ah word?) or not enough so.
look at Loyd best
 like him or not ANR robinson
selwyn ryan
feel free to ad more  ;D
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 10:34:57 AM »
Does one have to be better? Can't we just delight in the fact that our nation has produced such immense educational talent for the world?
yes one has to be  better
and no we cannot just delight in the fact  :P :P

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 10:36:12 AM »

i think history done answer that one.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 10:38:18 AM »

WHAT WAS HSITORY ANSwer I MISSED IT?

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 10:40:25 AM »
Eat that Bas!
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2007, 10:44:02 AM »

I was tempted to start my post with: "Politics aside...." but decided to leave politics out of it and go a little more on the humorous side instead.   The man is probably Our country's greatest scholars.

P.S. Jah Gol, lemme tief yuh caption bout de "Copa" nuh?  Ah go change de picture becuz I duz only wear  de "World Cup", and being a ex military man meself....... ;D

:rotfl: you big up boss

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2007, 10:49:03 AM »
Eat that Bas!
More than 2 decades after Williams died he is still respected. Twenty year after Panday dead we go still wondering how Bas get all that money in he bank account.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2007, 11:24:17 AM »

WHAT WAS HSITORY ANSwer I MISSED IT?

well, james was marginalized in both usa and trinidad. williams is the father of the nation.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007, 12:54:21 PM »

And with the recent passing of Lloyd Best, yet another QRC giant.

Allyuh ready for we?

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007, 01:08:20 PM »

lol..i hear u. BUt tirni ahve so much shcolars that go unhearld(is that ah word?) or not enough so.
look at Loyd best
selwyn ryan
feel free to ad more  ;D

Hoe, I have to disagree wit yuh on dat one........ANR did his legacy a major disservice by repealing the law that forbid foreign nationals from purchasing property in T&T.  That was a disastrous misstep that showed absolutely no foresight whatsoever.  He hadda come off de list fuh dat one move alone.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2007, 01:10:50 PM »

look at Loyd best
selwyn ryan
feel free to ad more  ;D

Hoe, I have to disagree wit yuh on dat one........ANR did his legacy a major disservice by repealing the law that forbid foreign nationals from purchasing property in T&T.  That was a disastrous misstep that showed absolutely no foresight whatsoever.  He hadda come off de list fuh dat one move alone.
international crimminal court?? wasnt that foresight?

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2007, 01:22:02 PM »

look at Loyd best
selwyn ryan
feel free to ad more  ;D

I think we are far more susceptible to economic exploitation in an open market if we don't shore up our defenses and fortify home base before setting our legacies outside than we are vulnerable to the acts that warrant the need for an ICC.  IMHO.  Respek still.

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2007, 01:22:30 PM »

look at Loyd best
selwyn ryan
feel free to ad more  ;D

No one's perfect boss. Lest we discuss Eric's miscalculations. I doubt it's appropriate for this thread though.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2007, 01:27:46 PM »
No one's perfect boss. Lest we discuss Eric's miscalculations. I doubt it's appropriate for this thread though.

Agree with you on that.

It is good to praise people for the right things (things mentioned here)...but dangerous to deny errors(other threads for that).

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2007, 01:28:24 PM »

look at Loyd best
selwyn ryan
feel free to ad more  ;D

I think we are far more susceptible to economic exploitation in an open market if we don't shore up our defenses and fortify home base before setting our legacies outside than we are vulnerable to the acts that warrant the need for an ICC.  IMHO.  Respek still.
what about de valuing de dollar. people liek to complai but that save de economy as far as i hear repsetced economists say. he was the most unpopular president for that. isnt that foresight also..or even courage

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2007, 01:39:35 PM »

look at Loyd best
selwyn ryan
feel free to ad more  ;D

what about de valuing de dollar. people liek to complai but that save de economy as far as i hear repsetced economists say. he was the most unpopular president for that. isnt that foresight also..or even courage

I still don't see that it has really helped us in the long run.  We are still slowly but surely being purchased and summarily influenced out of our heritage.  Pretty soon, people back home are not going to be able to afford property any where within our shores.  No matter what we do with the fluctuation or stability of our dollar in principle, there are certain arenas that we cannot afford to try to compete in, and when we have people at home working for less than 2.00 U$ dollars an hour competing with millionaires on the free market for the retention of their own land, it really doesn't matter to me what our dollar is doing.  To me, it can't be good for us in the long run.  One of the first thing that Dr. Williamsdid was to tell the americans to get out of our home.  In the bigger scheme of things, I can fully appreciate him haveing done that and I would like to think (after having done my time here) that I understand why.  Respek still again.  :beermug:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 01:43:07 PM by Mango Chow! »

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2007, 01:50:02 PM »
steups........williams was no more than ah friggin dictator.tell that african keep they award.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2007, 01:04:29 PM »
steups........williams was no more than ah friggin dictator.tell that african keep they award.

capo, if yuh went to school for free in Trinidad, or ever receive school feeding or book grant then you have the Doctor to thank. 

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2007, 01:07:48 PM »

capo, if yuh went to school for free in Trinidad, or ever receive school feeding or book grant then you have the Doctor to thank. 

i neva receive any of the above.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2007, 01:18:38 PM »

i neva receive any of the above.
I'm curious. Why didn't you ?

1]; } ?>