April 29, 2024, 09:06:39 AM

Author Topic: Dont agree with Bennie Man on the Local versus Pro Standard  (Read 8870 times)

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Re: Dont agree with Bennie Man on the Local versus Pro Standard
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2005, 10:09:50 AM »
...i think every one of those guys in their off season should come back and play for a team in the PFL ,it's a way of giving back and at the same time lifting the standard of the league.

A couple of de fellas (like Kevin Jeffrey) in de A-League do this. I would think the players in de UK would not be allowed to do the same thing.

Technically its not allowed by FIFA. A player cannot play for two club teams. What may be happening is that at the end of the respective league, those player that come back are no longer under contract with their clubs
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2005, 02:48:39 PM »
I believe KND made a good point to a certain extent but Leo has a point also.

Our pace or level of play at home is slower or lower than in Europe, etc. so in general once our players get a contract abroad especially in the UK they quickly have to adjust to a faster pace of play.

So even though our best local based players are as good as many of our foreign based players the foreign based ones are more accustomed to a faster pace of play and so can generally cope better when selected to play at the International level.

Question: Do we blame the hot weather in T&T for the slow pace of our PFL games or is it more a lack of stiff competition and higher quality players in our league?

How do we raise the general level and pace of games in our PFL?
For heaven's sake a lot of our soca music flyies at over 100 miles an hour, do the players need to be hearing blazing soca during PFL games?
What is the solution?  :-\
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2005, 03:11:52 PM »
Question: Do we blame the hot weather in T&T for the slow pace of our PFL games or is it more a lack of stiff competition and higher quality players in our league?

I think its the latter Pro......consider this.

All Pro League games start at 4 and 5pm respectively, the sun goes down in TT from 5:30-6:30 Only in July-Aug months will you have sunset at 6:30-6:45. No real hot sun beating down on you.........besides we born and grow up here. Sun is not an excuse!

Also the Pro league second round of games started in the Wet season which we are now experiencing.

Also something else to consider......only 3 clubs have won the Pro league title, Jab, W-conn and last year N.E stars. When it was semi-pro Joe Public was the other club who used to fight for top spot.

Also consider we have a team who has played over 38 games and not registered a win.

Midtable teams collect 7 from top teams.....i.e Defence force.

Finally the teams with successful records have foreigners on their roster. Joe public had brazilians, haitians and players from St kitts.
W-Connection with the Brazilians and Guayanese, N.E Stars acquired a few guayanese players and Jabloteh has a Guyanese, Jamaicans and the best local players at their disposal, i.e they have many national or former national team players.

To boost the league all the teams need better players, be it a good comprehensive youth system or importation from abroad. Also they need professionalism to be instilled. The winning teams have been competent in this dept.

Lastly, they need to be playing competitive teams regularly. W-Connection has made pre season tours in Europe also we need more Mls and European teams to play pFL teams in friendlies so as to expose them to styles of play and levels of competitveness.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2005, 03:18:28 PM »

I for one blame the hot weather in T&T for everything:  poor football at club and int'l level, low GDP per capita, high incidence of HIV, murders, kidnappings, corrupt politicians etc. etc.
To me the only viable solution is to build a massive bubble around the two islands and create some form of climate control.  What's the use of building a new sports complex when it go be too hot for the athletes to perform to any acceptable standard?  Put that $850 million and buy some air conditioning units.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2005, 03:37:55 PM »
I for one blame the hot weather in T&T for everything:  poor football at club and int'l level, low GDP per capita, high incidence of HIV, murders, kidnappings, corrupt politicians etc. etc.
To me the only viable solution is to build a massive bubble around the two islands and create some form of climate control.  What's the use of building a new sports complex when it go be too hot for the athletes to perform to any acceptable standard?  Put that $850 million and buy some air conditioning units.

Yeah..dat is de ansah right dey.  But instead a climate control so dat man could play in nicer temperature....let it snow and when snow eh fallin....temperature drop to -10.  Yuh want to see Trini run fast?  When cole take yuh tail so is amazin wha yuh could do.

I used to wuk a 13 minutes walk from meh home in Toronto (yes...ah time mehself).  One day ah wake up and de weatherman say it go be -40 wit de wind.  Ah say dem eh ketchin me.  Put on 3 socks, long johns, a track pants and jeans, 2 pair a gloves, 2 jersey, a sweater, meh winter jacket, meh scarf, meh marvin gaye, and ear muffs.  When ah step outside dey so, de wind cut right through all dem layer of clothin!  Talk bout COLE!!!!  Ah couldn't even run because wet snow did fall de night before so wit de freeze, is ice on de flikkin road!

Ah mek de walk to work in 8 minutes!!  When ah reach to wuk....icicle done form on meh eyebrow and mustache. De top a meh ears dem numb and red.  All de way to wuk ah tellin mehself..."Yes...yuh bitch...yuh want to come Canada?  Welcome to flikkin Canada!!"

So under dem kinda conditions dey we footballers go be playin at top speeds fuh sure.

De only alternative is to put some scantily clad blonde buxom british models wit size 38 EEEEE bressesses by de opposition goal post.  Den we go see how fast Yorkie & Sytern and dem go run wit de caveat dat yuh have to keep de ball and put de ball in de opposition net.  Yuh reward is yuh could celebrate by tekkin a jook wit de model of yuh choice each time yuh score.  De only dilemma is Marvin Andrews.  He mightn't want to go by de penalty area at all.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 03:42:07 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2005, 03:48:26 PM »
I feel the slow pace is trinidad style too eh...diaz why dribbling was so popular.  When men comin' in hurry, hurry, they used to get dribble multiple times.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2005, 03:55:42 PM »
De only alternative is to put some scantily clad blonde buxom british models wit size 38 EEEEE bressesses by de opposition goal post.  Den we go see how fast Yorkie & Sytern and dem go run wit de caveat dat yuh have to keep de ball and put de ball in de opposition net.  Yuh reward is yuh could celebrate by tekkin a jook wit de model of yuh choice each time yuh score.  De only dilemma is Marvin Andrews.  He mightn't want to go by de penalty area at all.

Hmmm this idea sounding viable too.  De best ting is de opposition go be hanging round dey net too keeping Stern onside for once and scoring so many own goals it go look like Rahim playing against we.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 03:57:22 PM by arrow »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2005, 04:04:49 PM »

Hmmm this idea sounding viable too.  De best ting is de opposition go be hanging round dey net too keeping Stern onside for once and scoring so many own goals it go look like Rahim playing against we.

LMAO!!!!   ;D ;D ;D

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2005, 05:56:39 PM »

Ah boy this is a good one,i never thought i would of hear heat affecting T&T Football,hear we go excuses,excuses,excuses when are we going to start facing reality.Past players will tell you the kind of sacrifices they used to make to get to the top and stay there.I remember getting up at 4:00am for my early morning road run,running the Train line from San Juan to Curepe and back,Sand Track in POS,over the hills in Snata Cruz to Maracas Bay,Savannah to the LookOut by Hilton.This is what everybody did so you had no alternative but to follow,it became the things to do.By the time the Sun came up it was time to go home.Defence Force always trained on mornings,we went up to 11:00 am,and still the die hards used to train on evenings after the day is over.I remember being in the Gym at Chaguaramas all 2:00 am in the morning.

On Saturday and Sunday we used to go from Minor League to Minor League all day,there was always a League to play in seven days a week.What heat we talking about?does our Stadiums have lights?at what time does our games play? 

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2005, 06:11:07 PM »
Ah boy this is a good one,i never thought i would of hear heat affecting T&T Football,hear we go excuses,excuses,excuses when are we going to start facing reality.Past players will tell you the kind of sacrifices they used to make to get to the top and stay there.I remember getting up at 4:00am for my early morning road run,running the Train line from San Juan to Curepe and back,Sand Track in POS,over the hills in Snata Cruz to Maracas Bay,Savannah to the LookOut by Hilton.This is what everybody did so you had no alternative but to follow,it became the things to do.By the time the Sun came up it was time to go home.Defence Force always trained on mornings,we went up to 11:00 am,and still the die hards used to train on evenings after the day is over.I remember being in the Gym at Chaguaramas all 2:00 am in the morning.

On Saturday and Sunday we used to go from Minor League to Minor League all day,there was always a League to play in seven days a week.What heat we talking about?does our Stadiums have lights?at what time does our games play? 

You make good points as usual Coop's but I believe the comparison and therefore the argument is flawed.

Our players may have grown up doing those things it is true.  But the VAST MAJORITY of our Senior National team play their football in the not so warm climate of England and Scotland.  They spend 9 out of every 12 months AT LEAST there.  The vast majority of their season is played in the fall and winter months.

Just like how their bodies had to acclimatise when they first got there, they now have to re-acclimatise to the heat of T&T.  I eh know when last you went home Coop's, but if yuh went home fuh leh we say Carnival, yuh know when dah plane doors open and de blast a heat hit yuh, is a different vibe.

Of course the heat is going to affect them players.  Especially having only 3 or 4 days to acclimatise.  Man accustom runnin 90mph in England (partly dey have to run hard and fast jes to keep warm) and now dey playin in T&T at 1pm in de afternoon (like against de USA in we fuss match dis Hex) and sun beatin dong at 32 degrees.  Yuh tink man eh toast after 30 minutes?  Yuh tink it eh go affect dem?

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2005, 06:25:33 PM »
all true but I thought we were talking about hot weather as it relates to the local PFL?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2005, 06:52:03 PM »
all true but I thought we were talking about hot weather as it relates to the local PFL?

If we talkin strictly PFL den apologies to Coop's.  My bad fellas.

Offline Solo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2005, 07:07:02 PM »
Heat eh have nuttin to do with it fellas. I'm sure all dem Pro League teams train in late morning sun. That must be the best joke I hear fuh de day.

The pace of the overall league may be slow ( when you factor in the weaker teams) but that is not true for the top three or four teams because they have real pace and can counterattack very well. When they fit they bring the pace to the game. It was a fit NE Stars that beat de national selection 2-0 and a fit Jabloteh that hammer Defence Force 7-0 and a fit Connection that started the League with about six straight victories until they run into Jabloteh.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2005, 12:53:48 AM »
KND 2 talking shit again. Go wash yuh mouth boy, it full ah shit.  Boss we ain't have no time to spot diamond in the rough right now.  This is the middle of the qualifiers.  AH will say it again; we pro in name only at home.  Only two clubs--Jabloteh and Connection--working towards adopting a professional structure, where they place a heavy emphasis on player development through the youth streams.  Teams home need to move towards the Academy setup, where players learn the science of the game from a young age.  Yuh can't teach men hardened in their bad habits new tricks right now.  Training for two hours in the evening doh make yuh ah pro, and the league home is not competitive. The general standard of the league needs to be elevated, but it has to come from the clubs realizing that they must adopt a professional structure to their franchises.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2005, 08:07:33 AM »

Sam,

Naming a bunch of players from the local league that are on the National team doesn't give the league credibility.......unless of course the National team is successful, which it is clearly not at this point. Poor argument......very poor. I hope you were being sarcastic.

You rae not being true to the article or the arguements presented.

Firget the quality of the league..is Jamaica's any better?

The real issue is what Beenie said about the players themselves and why they are not being picked!

Sam pointed out something important..if it is so bad then why are those players on the team?

Why not look for a total foreign based if that standard is so much higher?

Once again, failure to make sense...."if it so bad, then why are those players on the team ?" - Simple, the foreign-based players that aren't making the team, are not good either.....Look at who we have playing abroad..which truely world class players, playing abroad are not on the team ? - NONE !! Just because you are foreign-based doesn't mean that you're better than if you're locally based. I said that already in a previous post. However, just because there are locally based players that are better than some of the foreign based players doesn't mean that the PFL is equivalent to the MLS/whatever foreign league.....

You asked: "Why doesn't he select a purely foreign-based team if the standard abroad is so much better than the local standard ?"- because he selects his players based on the the quality of the player, not the quality of the league that they play in......

To argue for the credibility of a local league, or even the credibility of local players by stating that many of the locally based players are on the struggling deficient national team is f*cking rediculous

Follow some simple logic:
Argument 1.
1. As a coach, Beenie tries to select his best players for the National team.
2. Some of our locally-based players are better than some of our foreign-based players.
3. Therefore some of our Nat'l team players are locally-based

Argument 2.
1. The local league according to Beenie is sub-standard on a world scale
2. Therefore, the locally-based players on the Nat'l team do not make a smooth transition in international games. (hence the under-performance of local stars such as Whitley, Theobald and Gray)
3. Therefore the national teams struggles.

It's that simple........

What adds insult to injury is that the foreign based players are struggling as well......which raises a bigger issue. How big is the distinction between the average local standard, and the standard of our foreign-based players (most of whom, if not all, do not have a big impact on major clubs)........that is also something worth talking about.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 08:47:44 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2006, 07:38:23 AM »
The time is now to  rethink where the core of our players will come from?

1]; } ?>