April 30, 2024, 01:42:24 PM

Author Topic: Racism Thread  (Read 31328 times)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: When Your Children Encounter Racism.
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2012, 01:45:58 PM »
Where possible: humanize the situation ... break bread with those involved. Shared meals oftentimes provide a sound platform on which to broker divisions.

Interesting suggestion, it just occurred to me no one has yet suggested the olive branch approach.

Good point combine an upper middle class dish from jumbie kitchen with a redneck culinary delight
I suggest a nice Vichyssoise to start, followed by a possum roadkill entree
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2012, 01:54:29 PM »
in reality breds, i passed that and moving forward. like i said, i should not have even mentioned that, bc i did not want to revisit it. it's gone and we moved on, and if i came over has petty or holding a grudge, then i sincerely apologize, it was not my intention.   my bad.                                       positive.   :beermug:

Nah you doh have to apologize, I didn't think yuh was being petty.  Anybody call my chirren names I woulda take offense to that too... I just wanted to be clear to you that I never did any such thing.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2012, 02:20:31 PM »
Where possible: humanize the situation ... break bread with those involved. Shared meals oftentimes provide a sound platform on which to broker divisions.

Interesting suggestion, it just occurred to me no one has yet suggested the olive branch approach.

Good point combine an upper middle class dish from jumbie kitchen with a redneck culinary delight

instead of possum, how about squirrel sushi as prepared by a Montreal's chef Martin Picard?

sorry Jumbie ....

This is a real dish

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/03/02/controversial-montreal-chef-martin-picards-new-book-includes-recipes-for-squirrel-sushi-and-confederation-beaver/

or beaver

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2012, 06:14:23 PM »

instead of possum, how about squirrel sushi as prepared by a Montreal's chef Martin Picard?

sorry Jumbie ....

This is a real dish

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/03/02/controversial-montreal-chef-martin-picards-new-book-includes-recipes-for-squirrel-sushi-and-confederation-beaver/

or beaver

Look how allyuh Hijack di man sumthin nuh cheups.. Hope all goes well with you kids brother growing up kids are rough . Let us know how it went man . I dealt with situation  like dat several months ago . It was tough . Hope all goes well...

war
Now the thread is officially hijacked, and right after you showed your obvious displeasure. hmmmmm... some ppl have no respect.  ;D
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2012, 09:08:05 PM »
I did hesitate before posting this but Dutty's comment about roadkill was so timely with this picture I saw in the papers that came today.

Dais is why I apologized to Jumbie in advance.

I could try to make an insightful comment about the topic but humour too can often be used to defuse tense situations .... you have to know that Jumbie is a chef, does post his recipes and reaches out to the world with Caribbean cuisine, making this place a better place for all ...  and he may appreciate the humour in all of this.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 09:11:28 PM by pecan »
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2012, 01:32:47 AM »
Jumbie sorry to hear about the situation involving your kids, I have no children and I've rearly encountered racism directly like that. I did experience it on the university campus in which I currently work. I was an employee at the time and another Trini friend of mine was a student on the soccer team, one evening we were both chilling at his apt listening to music and all of a sudden we heard a racial slur from right outside his apt on the street targeted in our direction. To be honest I ignored it but not solider, he got in a rage and ran to the window shouting back at the individual, then he proceeded to run out the apt, I had to restrain him plead to ignore that uneducated fool. Sadis took those comments to heart, I'm not sure if it happened before but it clearly affected him all night to the point where I had to force him to go chill and drink some beers for him to get it off his mind.
Now this is where I'll give him props, he took the issue to his coach and the coach brought it to the attention to university officials. Now we have a campaign called OneWVU to fight against racism in an effort to educate everyone on racial diversity. This was heavily pushed all over campus through ads at sporting events, the university's home channel, posters, fliers, emails, t-shirts, every outlet to get the word out and the very same Trini who was affected became the face of the campaign.
Maybe an approach similar to this my the school maybe a good angle to go to educate the students at your daughters high school. See some of the ad's the university uses even up to this day to spread the word. The poems were also written my a good friend of mine on campus and I always commend them on the effort. Hope it helps :beermug:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/AaekRJxlbDw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/AaekRJxlbDw</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/uBWsmfFeIYE&amp;feature=relmfu" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/uBWsmfFeIYE&amp;feature=relmfu</a>
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 01:35:32 AM by soccerman »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2012, 01:42:29 AM »
Soccerman, yuh pardna shoulda aks dem "why it so have so many unsolved murders in W. Va?"

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2012, 08:36:38 AM »
The problem with morgantown, w.v. to hancock, md is that the popo uses "blacks" as their informants for their drug and moonshine bust! If yuh black and yuh traveling on 68 and dem state troopers see that yuh black, they will strip search your car also, no joke. A few fly fishing tourneys I went out to West Virginia, I was met with a cold shoulder because of race.

My father in law moved to north eastern pa to live amongst the amish, one of the first chinese immigrants in that part rural north eastern P.A. My wife was sometimes bullied for being Asian, my father in law tried the breaking bread approach. It worked with some and did not work with others! For the one's it worked with, they became good friends and when their circles got larger, they stood up for her but it was not easy at first! Show dem people we is real people, yuh cayr conquer everyone but yuh only need a few!

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2012, 10:34:05 AM »
I did hesitate before posting this but Dutty's comment about roadkill was so timely with this picture I saw in the papers that came today.

buh whey de ass is dis?...look how dis man roll mih under de bus normal, and walk away clean wit he squirrel pics!

YOU have bout 28 chirren that yuh does farm out all over de globe,,if anyting you should be a fountain of wisdom for dis kinda ting
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2012, 10:44:41 AM »
Dreadlock soldier in the video is Trini?
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2012, 11:15:57 AM »
Dreadlock soldier in the video is Trini?

Yeah dais the man who this evolved from

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2012, 11:21:31 AM »
Soccerman, yuh pardna shoulda aks dem "why it so have so many unsolved murders in W. Va?"
Really? I was not aware that there were many unsolved murders in this state...I'll have to inquire about that one.

I know for a fact that I'm not going roaming in no remote areas around here where just about everobody have guns! The most I go is Pittsburgh and back, I don't even take the back roads to cut on the distance for commuting, strickly interstate for me.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2012, 11:39:06 AM »
The problem with morgantown, w.v. to hancock, md is that the popo uses "blacks" as their informants for their drug and moonshine bust! If yuh black and yuh traveling on 68 and dem state troopers see that yuh black, they will strip search your car also, no joke. A few fly fishing tourneys I went out to West Virginia, I was met with a cold shoulder because of race.

Daft when I was in college, me and my next Trini pardner of mine went back home for spring break. We both took the same flight home and back out of Dulles. We driving back to WV on 68, out of the blue an unmarked police car pulled me over, I'm shocked because I wasn't speeding. He pulled me out of the car and start to question me about guns and ammunition, he even went as far to ask about if I had any bombs or grenades in my car. Well my pardner sitting in the car baffled as well because we like just like that, but he was white and the officer didn't even question him. He eventually let me go without stating why he pulled me over or anything but it was strange.

Don't want to hijack Jumbie's thread but encounter ran on my mind when Daft pointed out a circumstance. In the past 8 years I've only been pulled over 4 times on I-68 and given 1 speeding ticket but I alway drive between WV and MD with caution.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2012, 11:58:21 AM »
I have been to WV at least twice for extended periods. The second experience took me to Martinsburg; the first to Morgantown. There was a considerable gap in time between both experiences.

I'll relate an experience from the Morgantown trip (c. 1993). I was seated in the Subway shop on the corner of High & Fayette in perhaps the final hour before closing on what I believe was a Thursday night. I was alone. There were few seats in the establishment. I ended up sharing a table and striking up a conversation with some white co-eds. I was seated with my face to the door. This allowed me to see the run of traffic on the street and to observe ppl coming into the shop or walking by. I noticed an older model pick-up go by with a shaggy-haired dude hanging out the passenger door as the truck turned right from Fayette onto High.

Run-of-the-mill until it wasn't. It became not run-of-the-mill when the vehicle made the block several times (over 5, less than 10) and each time the passenger made deliberate eye contact with me ... on one or two of the turns gesticulating. It didn't take them a whole lot of time to make the block. The messaging started to become clearer upon each drive-by. My concern grew because I needed to stand outside to hail a cab or to get on the bus. With the passing of each minute, the prospect of catching the bus faded ... and safety was at issue.

In the latter stages of the conversation, my attention was very divided ... just trying to process the implication of the moment and sussing out the next step. I didn't express my observations to the ppl I was chatting with. I stayed in that Subway easily a good 30-40 minutes longer than I expected to. My out was ... when they're leaving I'm leaving. Fortunately, due to that same interaction ... with the shop closing, everyone in the group headed out to catch a cab and I ended up sharing it with them, despite the fact that I was going over the bridge and they were not ... they provided me cover without knowing it.

There is no doubt in my mind as to what could have happened but for my caution and awareness.   

HOWEVER, I'll say this: there's something about WV prior to that experience and subsequent to it that always placed me on guard moreso than in any other state in the Union. I've been to extremely rural Louisiana, Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina etc ... you name it ... I've always found a paradox in WV. I think part of it is perceptional ... and I think part of it rests in insularity. I've had quite sound engagements there that transcended race. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 12:06:33 PM by asylumseeker »

truetrini

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2012, 12:12:52 PM »
I have been to WV at least twice for extended periods. The second experience took me to Martinsburg; the first to Morgantown. There was a considerable gap in time between both experiences.

I'll relate an experience from the Morgantown trip (c. 1993). I was seated in the Subway shop on the corner of High & Fayette in perhaps the final hour before closing on what I believe was a Thursday night. I was alone. There were few seats in the establishment. I ended up sharing a table and striking up a conversation with some white co-eds. I was seated with my face to the door. This allowed me to see the run of traffic on the street and to observe ppl coming into the shop or walking by. I noticed an older model pick-up go by with a shaggy-haired dude hanging out the passenger door as the truck turned right from Fayette onto High.

Run-of-the-mill until it wasn't. It became not run-of-the-mill when the vehicle made the block several times (over 5, less than 10) and each time the passenger made deliberate eye contact with me ... on one or two of the turns gesticulating. It didn't take them a whole lot of time to make the block. The messaging started to become clearer upon each drive-by. My concern grew because I needed to stand outside to hail a cab or to get on the bus. With the passing of each minute, the prospect of catching the bus faded ... and safety was at issue.

In the latter stages of the conversation, my attention was very divided ... just trying to process the implication of the moment and sussing out the next step. I didn't express my observations to the ppl I was chatting with. I stayed in that Subway easily a good 30-40 minutes longer than I expected to. My out was ... when they're leaving I'm leaving. Fortunately, due to that same interaction ... with the shop closing, everyone in the group headed out to catch a cab and I ended up sharing it with them, despite the fact that I was going over the bridge and they were not ... they provided me cover without knowing it.

There is no doubt in my mind as to what could have happened but for my caution and awareness.   

HOWEVER, I'll say this: there's something about WV prior to that experience and subsequent to it that always placed me on guard moreso than in any other state in the Union. I've been to extremely rural Louisiana, Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina etc ... you name it ... I've always found a paradox in WV. I think part of it is perceptional ... and I think part of it rests in insularity. I've had quite sound engagements there that transcended race. 

Could be the bib wearing dude found you sexy and was trying to make ah pick up.   ever thought about that?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2012, 12:18:47 PM »
Err ... no. I think he wasn't big on sharing "his" blondes. ::)

truetrini

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2012, 12:24:06 PM »

nah I feel he had ah ting for you.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2012, 12:30:22 PM »

Then I'll defer to your expertise.

truetrini

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2012, 12:31:56 PM »

yuh shoulda defer to de shaggy headed man...lol   W VA love...what ah thing.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2012, 12:44:01 PM »

yuh shoulda defer to de shaggy headed man...lol   W VA love...what ah thing.

Well, lehwe make it a full circle hijack and postulate that he prefers squirrels. 

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2012, 01:02:20 PM »
Well, lehwe make it a full circle hijack and postulate that he prefers squirrels. 

well dat woulda be de perfect time for your breaking bread theory...yuh shoulda offer cletus piece ah yuh sub..wit squirrel as he was driving by

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2012, 01:19:52 PM »

well dat woulda be de perfect time for your breaking bread theory...yuh shoulda offer cletus piece ah yuh sub..wit squirrel as he was driving by
:rotfl: :rotfl: Well it's offically hijacked now...Seeker boy sorry to hear about your experience, I think i need to pay more attention everytime I step foot outside this campus.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2012, 01:45:25 PM »
Really? I was not aware that there were many unsolved murders in this state...I'll have to inquire about that one.

I know for a fact that I'm not going roaming in no remote areas around here where just about everobody have guns! The most I go is Pittsburgh and back, I don't even take the back roads to cut on the distance for commuting, strickly interstate for me.

I joking man... they cyah solve murders because there are no dental records and everybody DNA does match  ;D

Okay... I done.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2012, 01:54:17 PM »

I joking man... they cyah solve murders because there are no dental records and everybody DNA does match  ;D

Okay... I done.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

My wife had a friend that worked in a Moorefield Clinic, as a oral surgeon (doing a rotation), yuh should hear de stories she have!  She ask ah man when was de last he floss.... he replied: What's Flass?

Ah didn't want to hijack de thread, but if you go to W.V. via Western MD and yuh as a colored man eh experience racism ,yuh should play de lottery. Yuh lucky if dey ah ask if yuh escape from de correctional facilities also.

@ Soccerman

I feel yuh pain, yuh doh have to be speeding, dey pulling yuh over on "probable" cause, I get pull over from sidling hill, flintstone, rocky gap, jess before cumberland, frostburg, negro mt, new german rd, accident... and I does have my guns also when I rolling through that region... drama fuh so! If yuh white friend was blasting some rap music he would have been searched. The theme for colored folk is "come on vacation, leave on probation"
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 02:14:08 PM by Daft Trini »

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2012, 02:31:57 PM »
I not goin no way near WEST VA unless it's on ah plane flying over. i know ah grendian dude who almost met his fate in WV.

the idiot went down there to spend the weekend with some white chicks he met in NY on ah nayger sex safari vacation. he took his boy to get in on the action and got more than they bargained for.

long story short, they ordered a pizza just before the lynch mob came knocking on their motel door, it's ah lucky thing they ordered that pizza, bc the delivery man came and saw the commotion and booked, scaring off their attackers, or else God knows what de fack would've happen to them.

not me and dem rural towns in america nah, hek , sometimes i hate even going to jersey, bc that state is as lonely and remote as hicksville bible beltopia. 

this country is not ah nice place to be black, trust meh.  just ask the president.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 02:36:13 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

truetrini

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2012, 02:55:59 PM »
Starnge eh?   But imagine that West Virginia was created as a state during the Civil War when it broke away from Virginia and rejected the Confederacy to remain part of the Union. However, it's not clear if this separation really indicated the people's views, but West Virginia was admitted to the Union in 1862 with the requirement that it gradually eliminate slavery.

I remember a big debate we had in University over why W Va. was so damn racist.

1.  it is a white dominated state that is poor, and poor whites hold on to racism it seems and not to guns.   ~~~sigh~~~
2.  The GoP has seen significant rise their in the last 10 years,  seems it is the in thing to blame blacks for job losses and poor economy rather than the economy.
3.  Education...many peeps there eschew education except for immediate utility.   Bigotry trumps gender...last election MOST W Va. said they voted for Clinton over Barack in the Dem Primary citing race as their main reasoning for so doing.
4.  4.6% of voters in WVa. consider themselves Republican!   and Hillary won 60% of the republican vote..Hillary did that!
5.  To me this illustrates that educated people tend to shum racism more than the less educated....a debate that was raging in another thread.

Fast facts about W Va. 

1.) WV is about 96% Caucasian

2.) WV has the LOWEST college completion rate in the US

3.) WV is near the bottom impoverished states

4.) WV has historically been hostile to non-whites.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2012, 03:04:06 PM »
5) seems to me that all West virginia needs is two sheet of galvanize and ah jackspiniard nest, and it will be the ideal latrine.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2012, 03:14:57 PM »
Home of Cornelius Calvin Sale, Jr. Kleagle and Exalted Cyclops of the WV KKK.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2012, 03:41:37 PM »
It's always insightful to hear the facts and views about this state. I will admit though, in Moragntown things are not as hostile in terms of racism and I have personally been targeted or attacked plus I've made many great non-black friends here. If you go south of Moragntown to places like Charleston, Beckley, Ripley, Boone County, etc., it's a totally different world. Things seem backwards and you get a feel for how poor the state is. The main occupation in those areas is mining and a lot of young people drop out of school high school to work in the mines. I will admit it is a heavily white dominated state and a lot of in state students always opt migrate to bigger cities upon college graduation maybe to get away from the "small town" mentally and experience cultural change. Then again there aren't many jobs available for those with tertiary education in WV.

truetrini

« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2012, 03:45:17 PM »
It's always insightful to hear the facts and views about this state. I will admit though, in Moragntown things are not as hostile in terms of racism and I have personally been targeted or attacked plus I've made many great non-black friends here. If you go south of Moragntown to places like Charleston, Beckley, Ripley, Boone County, etc., it's a totally different world. Things seem backwards and you get a feel for how poor the state is. The main occupation in those areas is mining and a lot of young people drop out of school high school to work in the mines. I will admit it is a heavily white dominated state and a lot of in state students always opt migrate to bigger cities upon college graduation maybe to get away from the "small town" mentally and experience cultural change. Then again there aren't many jobs available for those with tertiary education in WV.

Morgantown is a University town, they are usually more cosmopolitan and openminded.

1]; } ?>