April 19, 2024, 07:10:39 AM

Author Topic: Racism Thread  (Read 31201 times)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Racism in T&T - The Thread.
« Reply #120 on: March 17, 2015, 01:47:54 PM »
Yuh beat me to it Bakes.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 17, 2015, 06:07:18 PM »
 almost a whole year after though?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 17, 2015, 08:40:25 PM »
But wait, there's more!

From September, 2013
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 09:50:04 PM by Bakes »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
William Hardin Burnley and the Glorious Revolution
« Reply #123 on: March 17, 2015, 09:36:03 PM »
A lot of the racist colonial policies against Africans in T&T after emancipation of slavery were implemented by slaveholder William Hardin Burnley! Check out a little history on the man.

William Hardin Burnley and the Glorious Revolution
By Selwyn Cudjoe (T&T Express)
Story Created: Feb 5, 2011 at 11:41 AM ECT

William Hardin Burnley, Trinidad slaveholder (1780-1850)

In an interesting article, "The 'Glorious Revolution'" (Express, August 2), Selwyn Ryan presents William Hardin Burnley (1780-1850), the largest slaveholder in T&T, as a "forward-looking" planter and suggests that Burnley felt that "the extinction of slavery has created a mighty revolution, in that, in this island, the master was now the slave and the former slave the master." He quotes Burnley as saying that "God and nature were conspiring to render the island of Trinidad 'a little Terrestrial Paradise for the African race.' He insisted that he was not guilty of hyperbole when he said that the African was like the 'Midas of Greek Mythology.'"

I disagree with Ryan on several substantive issues such as how he interprets the reported speech of Burnley as against his record; the sudden move from an African terrestrial society to the opposition of blacks to a plural society "from which Indians would be 'ethnically cleansed'" and a dense conclusion. Moreover, it is difficult to reconcile Ryan's picture of Burnley especially when Burnley believed that the emancipation was a mistake.

Born in New York in 1780, Burnley was educated in England before he took up residence in Trinidad in 1802. In 1809 he teamed up with Mr George Smith, Chief Justice, to steal the people's properties. As Acting Depositor-General, he had access to many properties from which he made his fortune "with Smith's knowledge, if not connivance." When he was finished he was worth a half a million dollars.

In 1818, Governor Woodford asked his Council, of which Burnley was a member, for suggestions to attract labourers to Trinidad. Burnley felt that "if Trinidad could increase its labouring population sufficiently, it could supply the rest of the West Indian islands with cattle, rice and corn….Upon serious reflection I am fully convinced that from Asia alone is to be derived the population we require." Those words made Burnley one of the first persons to advocate the bringing of East Indians to Trinidad to deal with the labour shortage.

Burnley opposed every significant event that led to the emancipation of Blacks. In 1823 he and his colleagues held a secret meeting in Tacarigua to protest the British government's initiative to stop the flogging of African female slaves and the overseers from carrying whips. In 1832 he went to London to fight against emancipation.

In 1841 Burnley made a final attempt to derail the benefits of emancipation when the Agricultural and Immigration Society which he chaired held hearings throughout the island to find out if "the great experiment of Negro emancipation succeeded." He contended that "although slavery has ceased, the angry feelings occasioned by the struggle to effect it, have not yet subsided." He was looking to break the monopoly that the ex-slaves had over the market by recruiting new laborers from Africa, Asia and the southern United States.

One needs to access Ryan's observations about Burnley's laudatory efforts against this background. It is true that Burnley believed that the cultivation of one sixth of Trinidad's soil would have satisfied the sugar demands of Great Britain. However, it does not follow that Burnley and his colleagues saw Trinidad as becoming a "prosperous African colony in the West Indies and a civilised one in Africa? (sic)." How Trinidad would have become a civilised state in Africa is another matter.

Ryan argues that by1846 "the 'Glorious Revolution' was replaced by an aggressive racist reaction." We are not told who practiced aggressive racism and who suffered from it. If an "era of good feelings" prevailed why did Burnley contend that the emancipation experiment occasioned "angry feelings" between the Blacks and Whites? Why, indeed, did Burnley warn that the society would "degenerate into barbarism" if those negative feelings of distrust continued. It is difficult to say wherein lay this utopian paradise that Ryan discerned.

Ryan makes another disastrous error when he contends that the arrival of immigrants from India, four years after Burnley's hearings, "also helped to bring to an end the dream of creating the 'African Terrestrial Paradise' many had envisioned." How was this possible when Burnley intended to exploit Africans and Indians alike?

Even if we grant Ryan's position, the question remains: who among the labouring class articulated this view. Who is this "many" of which Ryan speaks? Both the Mandingo representation of themselves and Rev. Hamilton's description the liberated Africans in Manzanilla presented different views of the same reality.

Ryan says that after 1846 there emerged "a plural society to which most blacks were unalterably opposed." No evidence is given but it is assumed that most blacks were (or are) unalterably opposed to a plural society. We are not told when this plural society came into being and how we opposed it. In Ryan's analysis Blacks go from being mute in their own deliverance to active perpetrators of the heinous crime of opposing a plural society.

Ryan is one of our most astute political scientists and social observers. However, he did an injustice to Black people when he gave Burnley the leading role in the events that surrounded emancipation. The historical record has a way of reproducing the bad and sweeping the good under the rug especially in Trinidad and Tobago. It is important that the historical record be presented in a balanced and accurate manner.

scudjoe@wellesley.edu
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 10:17:46 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #124 on: March 18, 2015, 01:52:05 AM »
FIRED FOR RACIST RANT
Tewarie: CDA board member said he used N-word ‘in a moment of rage’
By Denyse Renne (Express).

Board member of the Chaguaramas Development Authority (CDA) Jaishima Leladharsingh has been fired for posting racist statements on Facebook.

Leladharsingh, who is also a senior United National Congress (UNC) activist and former marketing manager at the Agricultural Development Bank (ADB) on April 12, 2014 referred to Anthony S Mcleod as a “stinking nigger” on Facebook.

Messages sent via Facebook to Mcleod yesterday for a comment were unsuccessful.

Speaking briefly with the Express yesterday afternoon, Minister of Planning and Sustainable Development Dr Bhoe Tewarie under whose portfolio CDA falls, said the posting by Leladharsingh had been under investigation and following its completion, he was asked to resign.

Asked how long the issue was being investigated and why in the interim Leladharsingh was still a member of the CDA board, Tewarie declined to comment and instead referred all his comments to the news release announcing his firing.

Efforts to contact Leladharsingh were unsuccessful.

Following the resignation, Leldharsingh’s Facebook page was on the receiving end of individuals expressing disgust over his statements. Posts left on his page have ridiculed his statements. The last activity on his page was on Monday where he posted pictures of Energy Minister Kevin Ramnarine.

Checks by the Express revealed that Leladharsingh’s derogatory remarks on Facebook are not just last April’s. He and several other UNC bloggers have also launched a series of race attacks against Facebook users who oppose the Government.

Several of the posts have also attacked journalists and opposition members.

In one post dated September 15, 2013, Leladharsingh posted in a closed UNC group, “Each member should target at least five individuals and inbox them in persuasion of going to City Hall in protest for answers my pick would be for the niggers they pushy enough and gullible it would not take much to sway them it would also enhance the look of the PPG having the African members protesting. But I do need to ask Allan how did you persuade the “impeccable” Kazim Hosein?”

Sources told the Express that only a select group of UNC bloggers have administrative access to this closed group.

Last year, the administrators of this group expressed concern over the leaking of conversations into mainstream Facebook. Sources say the group’s main objective is to attack anyone perceived as being anti-government by using racial slurs and personal attacks.

Sources further told the Express that a relative of a former government minister who was once employed as the minister’s personal assistant has been named as one of the administrators for the closed group.

Efforts to contact the assistant were unsuccessful.

The genesis of the remarks made against Mcleod started following a post on April 11, 2014, written by former prime minister Basdeo Panday.

The post was in reference to comments made by Panday in the media following the death of former prime minister and president Arthur NR Robinson in 2014.

In that interview with the media on April 9, 2014, Panday said though he sympathised with relatives of Robinson on his passing, “I was instrumental in him becoming both prime minister and president. But I think that issue would not be as kind to him, for some of the things he did while in office.”

In his Facebook post two days later, Panday said, “It seems that my response to some journalists from the media who asked me to comment on the passing of Mr ANR Robinson has caused some very interesting comments. But none has accused me of speaking untruths.

“Had I lauded praise on Mr Robinson I would have been accused of hypocrisy, and justifiably so. All I said was that history would not be as kind to Mr Robinson as I had been to him. And when pressed for an explanation of that statement I referred to the 18-18 elections deadlock of 2001.

“I also referred to the breakup of the NAR. In so doing I spoke not an untrue word. Would my critics have preferred that I lied? Some say I should not have said what I said on such an occasion. Is there an occasion for the truth and another reserved for lies. If so, then they must surely have a morality of your own. I only ask that they do not pass it on to their luckless children”.

The Facebook posts

One day after the post was made, Leladharsingh posted: “I’m glad that Robinson is gone forever”.

Mcleod responded: “You would also be gone forever. We all have to go. I can’t believe how big people can be so stupid”.

Leladharsingh then stated, “go f... yourself Mcleod. You bastards will never understand because you never had to fight nor work for anything. I gave my opinion and I don’t care what you f.... parasites think”.

This post by Leladharsingh received “one like” from Bridgie Ramkissoon. Checks on his profile have revealed that Ramkissoon is a medical doctor.

Mcleod’s response to this rant was, “Hahaha u rel funny”.

It was at this point that Leladharsingh stated again, “ and you are a stinking nigger”

Mcleod brushed aside the comment stating, “you can say what u wat you still have to dead”.

“And you will die as a low class nigger”, Leladharsingh shot back.

Mcleod responded, “You dnt knw me nor my status and you are so confident abt ur statements. Frm wht I can see is that you hav no class”.

“F... you both, Anthony S Mcleod you are a f.... stinking and low class Nigger”, Leladharsingh wrote.

Panday then intervened and warned Leladharsingh about his conduct stating, “My Dear Jaishima Please do not do anything to exacerbate the racial problem which has been the bane of this society for centuries. Speak your mind without being offensive. Please?”

On December 26, 2014, Leladharsingh also accused the Express of being racist and called for a boycott of the newspaper on Facebook.

bloggers express disgust: Jaishima Leladharsingh

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 18, 2015, 06:56:19 AM »
But wait, there's more!

From September, 2013

I think this was a part of it too.

As mentioned in the article with the group.

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2015, 08:47:26 AM »
reading this and publicsizing this thrite isnt going to improve relations but rather propagate hate.

why give a damn about whoever that fella is..

It happens all over the world.

Be bigger than that.

Dat fella has to live with dat ..not you or me

Publish something positive...lets talk about the great work Brent Sancho is doing at the moment as Minister.

How can TNT soccer prosper from his handson experience.

How nice it would be to see Dwight Yorke stadium open again.

How nice it was to see Keith getting a good rub up...

Improve relations with your neighours..whoever they will be....

Be happy and free...Ola di
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 18, 2015, 09:22:21 AM »
reading this and publicsizing this thrite isnt going to improve relations but rather propagate hate.

It happens all over the world.

Be bigger than that.

Dat fella has to live with dat ..not you or me

Publish something positive...lets talk about the great work Brent Sancho is doing at the moment as Minister.

How can TNT soccer prosper from his handson experience.

How nice it would be to see Dwight Yorke stadium open again.

How nice it was to see Keith getting a good rub up...

Improve relations with your neighours..whoever they will be....

Be happy and free...Ola di

Remove your head from the sand my friend, this is the General Discussion board. Why can't we talk here about things that are generally affecting people in T&T?

It is racist folks like Jaishima Leladharsingh being deliberately placed in powerful positions in T&T by the current government that is leading to all the injustice, corruption and backwardness we are seeing in T&T right now.

This Jaishima Leladharsingh fellow is also a senior UNC activist and former marketing manager at the Agricultural Development Bank (ADB) who has been in a position to hire and fire staff.

We have a MAJOR problem in T&T right now and the root of it is that we have a government with a racist agenda to dispossess a certain section of its population that claims that they are there for all and wants another 5 years to ensure turn T&T into another Guyana.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 09:30:20 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 18, 2015, 10:01:40 AM »
Socapro ah hear yuh sentiments brother...but dont be antagonized and fall fowl to a few jackasses.

You will find hatred everywhere in the world...dont become part of the problem..

Please help my Indian brothers and sisters et al..

We are a microcosm of what good tnt is..

be a mentor and not a hater...

Dont let politics and people who cant help themselves get to you.

When all is said and done....tomorrow is a new day..
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 18, 2015, 10:05:35 AM »
Socapro ah hear yuh sentiments brother...but dont be antagonized and fall fowl to a few jackasses.

You will find hatred everywhere in the world...dont become part of the problem..

Please help my Indian brothers and sisters et al..

We are a microcosm of what good tnt is..

be a mentor and not a hater...

Dont let politics and people who cant help themselves get to you.

When all is said and done....tomorrow is a new day..

As I said you stay there with your head in the sand while trying to brand folks like me who are pointing out what is happening in T&T as being filled with hate.

If I did not know any better and just went by your recent posts I would start to believe that you are an undercover racist yourself.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:07:24 AM by Socapro »

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 18, 2015, 10:16:06 AM »
well what can I say..i dont know much..

but I'm not about to let other people send up my blood pressure.

I still need to find the definition of what is a racist is

But anyway i dont pretend to be god's gift to mankind but i think i live in trini long enough to know a red herring when i see it...

There are more important issues that need to be addressed in TNT...so I wouldnt let this one take away from say. WI vs NZ cricket on Saturday....
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 18, 2015, 10:26:03 AM »
How we supposed to think of the utterances in light of what happened with the farmers in Chagaramas?

BTW... He apologised. Not sure what effect that may have.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 18, 2015, 10:38:42 AM »
Jaishima Leladharsingh's excuse about feeling threatened is weak. He is clearly a racist and his apology at this late point does not change that fact.
There are many others like Jaishima Leladharsingh in positions of power in T&T right now, he was just foolish enough to expose his real views about African people in T&T on facebook. I am sure that Satnarayan Maharaj is not too happy about losing one of his soldiers from a position of power.

I apologise
By Carolyn Kissoon Multimedia Desk (T&T Express)
Story Created: Mar 18, 2015 at 10:28 AM ECT

Jaishima Leladharsingh

Fired board member of the Chaguaramas Development Authority (CDA) Jaishima Leladharsingh yesterday apologised for posting racist statements on Facebook.

In a Facebook post at 3.24pm, Leladharsingh wrote that his statement was "inappropriate and uncalled for".

Leladharsingh posted that he was angry and felt threatened by Anthony S Mcleod on Facebook.

He wrote: "I sincerely apologise to the particular individual; for making a statement that was inappropriate and uncalled for. I did it in anger when he told me that I will be dead. At that point I took as a threat. It may not have been, but I acted in rage. I am sorry for the pain and sorrow that I caused to others. I want you all to know that I am truly sorry and i have resigned from the CDA Board of Directors effective immediately."

Minister of Planning and Sustainable Development Dr Bhoe Tewarie said yesterday that Leladharsingh's Facebook posting was under investigation and he was asked to resign.

Leladharsingh's racist rant against Mcleod started following a post by former prime minister Basdeo Panday in April 2014, but he remained as a member of the CDA's Board of Directors until yesterday.

Following Panday's post on the death of former prime minister and president Arthur NR Robinson, Leladharsingh wrote: "I am glad that Robinson is gone forever".

Mcleod responded: "You would also be gone forever. We all have to go. I can't believe how big people can be so stupid."

Leladharsingh responded with expletives and racist remarks. The Express found that Leadharsingh has deleted the content from his Facebook page.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:45:41 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 18, 2015, 10:53:23 AM »
well what can I say..i dont know much..

but I'm not about to let other people send up my blood pressure.

I still need to find the definition of what is a racist is

But anyway i dont pretend to be god's gift to mankind but i think i live in trini long enough to know a red herring when i see it...

There are more important issues that need to be addressed in TNT...so I wouldnt let this one take away from say. WI vs NZ cricket on Saturday....

Remove your head from the sand my friend, this is the General Discussion board to discuss general issues affecting our country men and women in T&T. 
Also there is no issue more important in T&T than ensuring that we don't have a racist government in power in a multi-ethnic country like T&T that built its culture and good reputation on racial harmony and traditionally bragged about and being a country where every creed and race can find an equal place.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 11:00:00 AM by Socapro »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2015, 02:21:42 PM »

You can't be f**king serious.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2015, 03:46:58 PM »

You can't be f**king serious.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

His post forces me to rethink my previous perception that most posters here are intelligent and don't support racism.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 18, 2015, 08:27:36 PM »
Trinidad is a post-racial society... racism, if it exists, is a trifle we shouldn't bother ourselves with.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 18, 2015, 10:19:16 PM »

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Rowley-lauds-swift-action-296821821.html

Rowley lauds swift action
Firing of CDA board member

By Joel Julien

OPPOSITION Leader Dr Keith Rowley has congratulated Planning Minis­ter Dr Bhoe Tewarie for taking swift action to remove “scum” from the Chaguaramas Development Authority (CDA).
Jaishima Leladharsingh was removed as a CDA board member on Tuesday following a racist rant on Face­book which was posted in April 2014, but came to light on Tuesday.
Within hours of Leladharsingh’s post becoming public, he was asked to resign.
Tewarie said the first thing he did was to ascertain the authenticity of Leladharsingh’s posts.
“On the basis of verifying that they were posted... even though it was a long time ago and not associated with the CDA, I felt that it was not appropriate for someone to continue as a board member of the CDA having uttered those statements publicly,” Tewarie said.
Rowley addressed the issue at a People’s National Movement (PNM) political meeting at Johnny’s Green Acres in Brazil, East Trinidad.
“Now there is a board populated by a man who in 2015 calling people in Trinidad and Tobago ‘nigger’,” Rowley said.
“A man who goes on Facebook as a member of the board of Chaguaramas giving away our land, the land that Eric Williams and the PNM fought for but all of them was fighting the PNM against that and he goes on the board and telling a man you will die like an old nigger,” he said.
Rowley lauded Tewarie for his response to the situation.
“Tonight I want to congratulate the minister of planning and develop­ment for swiftly removing such scum from the face of the board of the CDA,” Rowley said.
“And all those of you who believe that this country has gone past that stage, that is an eye-opener for you. So understand something—we are in perilous times,” Rowley said.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 19, 2015, 10:53:14 PM »

Allyuh this is ridiculous. The TTDRI forum on FB smh

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 20, 2015, 09:16:35 AM »

Allyuh this is ridiculous. The TTDRI forum on FB smh

Once these people are not in a position of authority over the general population that is paid for by taxpayers then I have no problem with them being as racists as they wish.
However if they are in a position of authourity that is paid for by general taxpayers then we have a major problem and need to have them removed.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Rev Teelucksingh: Outlaw racism
« Reply #140 on: May 25, 2015, 10:44:09 AM »
Rev Teelucksingh: Outlaw racism
By Radhica Sookraj
Published: Monday, May 25, 2015 (T&T Guardian)

Rev Daniel Teelucksingh.

Presbyterian minister and former independent Senator Rev Daniel Teelucksingh yesterday called for laws to be passed in T&T to make racism illegal.

Speaking at the Independent Liberal Party’s interfaith service at the Passage of Asia Restaurant in Chaguanas, Teelucksingh  said as the general election approaches he is astonished at the level of racism in the country. He said on May 13 at 10:30 am he was listening to a radio programme and was appalled to hear the announcer making racially insensitive remarks.

“There will never be social cohesion and trust between the two races if we don’t take action now. I think we need laws immediately to stop such treachery on the nation’s air waves. Anyone making remarks that are socially inflammatory, politically treacherous and anti-national should be charged for sedition. It should be a criminal offense to incite racism. That is the one kind of freedom people should not be allowed,” he said.

Teelucksingh, who stated that “2015 should never be a race of the races,” said all political parties should place policies to end racism on their agenda. He condemned what he described as a “continuation of the nasty legacy of the plantation system where the two races were kept apart for a political agenda.”

“There should never be an Indo-agenda or an Afro-agenda or any colour coded agenda. This is the silly season, the season of the sword and we have to put away the swords of racism, intrigue and antagonism,” he said. The former senator said the Emailgate affair was  an example of the sword of intrigue.

“We are polarised politically and we are a socially fragmented society. When we look at those mysterious e-mails, we wonder what went wrong. It has been two years since those e-mails were read in Parliament and in this age of technology we wonder why is this investigation taking so long?” he said, adding that the longer the investigation takes, the more complicated and difficult the probe will be to unravel.

Teelucksingh expressed concern at the high level of antagonism at the highest levels of leadership. “There is so much suspicion. Where are our children going to look for role models?” he asked Also speaking at the service were Pundit Vishnu Maharaj and Imam Nazim Ali. Maharaj told the audience to keep their political preferences private and to stand up for the right morals and values. Ali called for discipline in the home, school, and in government.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Rev Teelucksingh: Outlaw racism
« Reply #141 on: May 25, 2015, 12:37:36 PM »
A noble idea, but one which careful consideration must be given to the framework of any proposed laws, before passing.  Free speech, even unpopular free speech needs to be protected.  Hate speech needs to be punished, as well as overt acts of racism or race-based discrimination, and even ethnic or national heritage discrimination.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 02, 2015, 10:41:41 PM »

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 19, 2015, 08:17:54 PM »
following up on this thread and with charleston in mind:

is racism a mental illness?

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 26, 2015, 01:47:05 PM »
following up on this thread and with charleston in mind:

is racism a mental illness?
only when the actor who perpetrates the crime is white.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Kamla: Apologise to nation, Rowley
By Kevon Felmine (Guardian).

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar has challenged Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley to apologise to the nation for several racist comments made by members of the People’s National Movement over the years, saying the party was not being honest in its recent comments about using race in campaigning.

As she made her point last night, Persad-Bissessar went back to the 2013 Tobago House of Assembly’s (THA) election, when then deputy Chief Secretary Hilton Sandy told supporters that if they did not vote the PNM back in to power a “Calcutta Ship” was waiting to take over the island, to make her point.

Speaking at a UNC Monday Night Forum at the Gasparillo Secondary School, she also called on PNM youth officer Fitzgerald Hinds to apologise for his “alligator in murky lagoon” comments at a public meeting at Piggott’s Corner, Belmont, recently.

She also recalled that Hinds had ridiculed a young boy with dreadlocks who kissed her hand during a tour in flood damaged Diego Martin in 2013. She claimed Hinds had referred to the boy as an “idiot” for the gesture he made towards her.

She said if Rowley was genuine about not running a racist campaign he should confront all racist remarks coming from members of his party.

“I am calling on the Opposition Leader and Mr Hinds to apologise to the people of Trinidad and Tobago. I call upon them to apologise and to confront the racist campaign they have run and the racist campaign they continue to run,” Persad-Bissessar said.

“While they talk the talk, they must also walk the walk. It is by your deeds you are judged Opposition Leader.

“If you are genuine in your statement you must confront the racist remarks from the front line of your party. I tell you tonight, your silence is deafening.”

She also challenged Rowley to account for his representation of the Diego Martin West constituency, saying it was under the former UNC government that the Carenage Government School was built, while the People’s Partnership had built the Diego Martin Highway, several schools and will soon open the new Carenage Health Centre.

Persad-Bissessar also touched on plans to boost the education, health and agriculture sectors, but stressed that crime was a major issue and that her Government was committed to dealing with.

She reaffirmed her position that there will be no negotiation with criminals and promised to give the police all the resources they need to bring criminals to justice, especially in the Enterprise, Chaguanas community where a recent spate of gang violence has left residents running scared.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar has challenged Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley to apologise to the nation for several racist comments made by members of the People’s National Movement over the years, saying the party was not being honest in its recent comments about using race in campaigning.

As she made her point last night, Persad-Bissessar went back to the 2013 Tobago House of Assembly’s (THA) election, when then deputy Chief Secretary Hilton Sandy told supporters that if they did not vote the PNM back in to power a “Calcutta Ship” was waiting to take over the island, to make her point.

Speaking at a UNC Monday Night Forum at the Gasparillo Secondary School, she also called on PNM youth officer Fitzgerald Hinds to apologise for his “alligator in murky lagoon” comments at a public meeting at Piggott’s Corner, Belmont, recently.

She also recalled that Hinds had ridiculed a young boy with dreadlocks who kissed her hand during a tour in flood damaged Diego Martin in 2013. She claimed Hinds had referred to the boy as an “idiot” for the gesture he made towards her.

She said if Rowley was genuine about not running a racist campaign he should confront all racist remarks coming from members of his party.

“I am calling on the Opposition Leader and Mr Hinds to apologise to the people of Trinidad and Tobago. I call upon them to apologise and to confront the racist campaign they have run and the racist campaign they continue to run,” Persad-Bissessar said.

“While they talk the talk, they must also walk the walk. It is by your deeds you are judged Opposition Leader.

“If you are genuine in your statement you must confront the racist remarks from the front line of your party. I tell you tonight, your silence is deafening.”

She also challenged Rowley to account for his representation of the Diego Martin West constituency, saying it was under the former UNC government that the Carenage Government School was built, while the People’s Partnership had built the Diego Martin Highway, several schools and will soon open the new Carenage Health Centre.

Persad-Bissessar also touched on plans to boost the education, health and agriculture sectors, but stressed that crime was a major issue and that her Government was committed to dealing with.

She reaffirmed her position that there will be no negotiation with criminals and promised to give the police all the resources they need to bring criminals to justice, especially in the Enterprise, Chaguanas community where a recent spate of gang violence has left residents running scared.

This thread is more meant to be about the plight of the Chaguaramas Guave Road Farmers Flex.

That article you posted is more suited to the Racism in T&T - The Thread that you started but thanks for bumping this thread anyway as I have neglected to post some of the latest news on the plight of the Guave Road Farmers to this thread and need to remedy that.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 07:54:32 AM by Socapro »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy

This thread is more meant to be about the plight of the Chaguaramas Guave Road Farmers Flex.

That article you posted is more suited to the Racism in T&T - The Thread that you started but thanks for bumping this thread anyway as I have neglected to post some of the latest news on the plight of the Guave Road Farmers to this thread and need to remedy that.

But the title of your thread is the racist PP government.. Flex just posted the racist comments made by PNM members.. So I think it's not that off topic to post it on here... Maybe their comments should be addressed as well...

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #148 on: July 07, 2015, 08:55:20 AM »
Thanx guys.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 07, 2015, 08:21:59 PM »

Govt warned: Don’t use race

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20150701/news/govt-warned-dont-use-race

THE People’s Partnership Government is “playing with fire” by using race as a means to win the upcoming general election, Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley said last night as he warned Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar not to play “farse and loose” with the country’s stability.

Rowley also questioned whether Housing Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal has reported his $7,000 “salary” from Jack Warner to the Integrity Commission.

Rowley slammed Moonilal for putting up a “coded racial” banner in Oropouche warning people to “hide their children from Rowley”.

“You are trying to demonise me and the PNM along racial lines in 2015 to survive and become the Government again, but the people of this country are not blind and we are not foolish and we have had enough,” he said.

Rowley made the statement while delivering the feature address at the People’s National Movement’s (PNM) political meeting held at Cocoyea Village, San Fernando, last night.

He began his address by paying homage to his predecessor as the PNM political leader, former prime minister Patrick Manning.

With Parliament being prorogued last month, Rowley said Manning ended a “tremendous tour of duty”.

Manning first entered Parliament in 1971.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you to a citizen of Trinidad and Tobago who served his people well,” Rowley said.

Rowley said the PNM has ensured that, with the selection of Randell Mitchell as its prospective candidate for San Fernando East for the September 7 general election, the “baton” that Manning held has been passed on to “very safe hands”.

“One of the first things we will do after September 7 is to have a tremendous function of the highest quality to honour the service of Patrick Augustus Mervyn Manning,” Rowley said.

1]; } ?>