March 29, 2024, 05:12:08 AM

Author Topic: Racism Thread  (Read 31087 times)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Racism in T&T - The Thread.
« Reply #150 on: September 12, 2015, 12:01:25 PM »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 15, 2015, 10:47:51 AM »
Religious leaders slam online racist messages

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20150913/news/religious-leaders-slam-online-racist-messages

Three religious leaders have spoken out against recent racist posts on social media.

Imam Mirza Ali-Mohammed, of the Islamic Da’wah Movement; founder of the Longdenville-based Hindu Prachaar Kendra, Ravi-Ji, and Seventh-Day Adventist Pastor Clive Dottin added their voices to those condemning racist comments made on Facebook and other social media following the results of last Monday’s general election.

The People’s Partnership’s defeat at the polls resulted in the trading of insults between supporters of the party and supporters of the winning People’s National Movement. Some of the comments contained threats against particular ethnic groups.
Speaking on TV6’s Morning Edition on Friday, Ali-Mohammed said it was “frightening” that after so many years of education and awareness, racism seems to have gotten worse.

“It is frightening, especially for our young people,” Ali-Mohammed said. “The examples being set by these adults who are involved in these things, it really is scary.”
Dottin noted the intensity of this year’s election campaign and said he agreed with chairman of the Elections and Boundaries Commission (EBC), Norbert Masson, who described the campaigning as the most vile and vitriolic he has ever seen.
“We are as polarised as we have ever been,” said Dottin. “We are mis-mentoring the young people. We are misguiding them and setting a horrible example.”
Dottin said religious leaders were also setting a poor example. He said he listened to two religious programmes and was very concerned about what was being said.

“It is horrific that we as religious leaders are not setting the right example and are also fuelling a certain kind of hatred in the society.”
Ravi-Ji said it was unfortunate that people were using the cloak of anonymity provided by social media to spread messages of hate. He further added that the messages were given more attention when highlighted by traditional media.
“Media should not highlight or give coverage to these vitriolic kinds of messages,” he said.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 15, 2015, 02:13:34 PM »
Ravi Ji eh have me fooled. I say highlight the racist. I expose a Pundit who went to school with me on our alumni page. Show the world who they are.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 17, 2015, 07:06:59 AM »

One man’s anti-racism campaign

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20150916/features/one-mans-anti-racism-campaign

Radio talk show host Fazeer Rojan has started a campaign against racism on social media.

The 103 fm presenter began a “Selfie stand against racism” campaign by visiting different places in Trinidad spreading the message of love and unity.

Rojan said that he became inspired for this campaign after reading the negative comments following the September 7 general election.

According to Rojan: “We cannot let a minority get the better of us. Raymond Ramnarine uttered these words to me upon his return to the country yesterday when he called to lend support to the ‘Selfie Stand Against Racism’. I too would like to think that it’s a minority. I have no stats to offer to support this hope but that’s what it is; hope! Sometimes the world needs an idealist or two. Lord knows we have an over abundance in some other ‘not as awesome’ categories. I did what I did for reasons personal to me. I spoke on my own behalf and I’d like it to be noted that I represent no one and no group, political, religious, social or otherwise. I am citizen of Trinidad and Tobago! No other credentials are important”.

He said that the reason for the selfie was because it was a common denominator in social media.

Rojan said: “ Most of the hatred I have seen is being expressed on social media by a combination of people who knew what they were saying, those who were baited and merely expressed what already existed but remained hidden for all these years, those with fake profiles who lack the testicular fortitude to make their comments bravely, those who created mimic profiles and attempted to join the conversation under false pretences, some with axes to grind; others riddled with fear because of their political conditioning and the list goes on. It made sense then to seek to counter this hate on the platform where it was most expressed. The key would be to find the common denominator though. ‘Selfies’ came to mind. They’re an online sensation. Why not use this platform to spread the positivity? Simple. Thus was born the Selfie Stand Against Racism”.

Wearing a sign with the slogan of the campaign, Rojan is meeting people and encouraging them the take a stand against discrimination in the country.

Many have posted “selfie” photographs of themselves with the slogan signalling their stance against racism and joining in Rojan’s cause to end it.

In one of his post dated September 11, Rojan said, “It has gone from distasteful to frightful. How could a country change so much almost overnight? Or is it that social media has given everyone an opportunity to remove masks and reveal what always existed? It hurts to see it unfold and I wish it would STOP NOW! However, instead of waiting on them, I am reminded to take action ....”Be The Change That You Wish To See In The World”.

Rojan did exactly this and took matters into his own hands creating the campaign.

Rojan said that he has been faced with negative feedback from what he is doing from both sides of the political arena.

He said, “People will see what they are searching for, like those who accused me of ‘being PNM’ because my jersey is red but failed to see that I was wearing red, white and black. Others who questioned my timing and implied that I’m a ‘UNC’ man because I didn’t do this five years ago. Well, I have accepted that not everyone will agree with my stand and others may have opinions on why it should have been done differently. I will leave it as follows: Some people will see my good intentions in undertaking this. Others will question it and find ways to perpetuate the hate. The bottom line is that love and hatred, much like beauty, are in the eyes or mind of the beholder. Just think about that for a while”.

Rojan thanked his supporters and even had a message for the critics.

He said, “. To the critics, someday we’ll reach you and when we do, we’re gonna love you too!”

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 17, 2015, 08:57:45 AM »
Allyuh know anyone who has suffered in their workplace due to race?
How about places like Petrotrin and UWI that are rife with young Indos shooting up the ladder while all others get frozen out or overlooked for promotions.

The stories coming out of those places are disgusting.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 17, 2015, 09:41:09 AM »
How about places like Petrotrin and UWI that are rife with young Indos shooting up the ladder while all others get frozen out or overlooked for promotions.

dread it wouldn't look quite as bad if they were actually qualified and doing actual work...but people  earning large salaries, ent know nutten about nutten, filin dey nails whole day all kinda shit. petrotrin stagnation over the past few years have been made ten times worse with dat nonsense
I pity the fool....

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 17, 2015, 01:05:14 PM »

dread it wouldn't look quite as bad if they were actually qualified and doing actual work...but people  earning large salaries, ent know nutten about nutten, filin dey nails whole day all kinda shit. petrotrin stagnation over the past few years have been made ten times worse with dat nonsense

Order has been restored Andrew Jupiter named Chairman of Petrotrin.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 17, 2015, 03:14:07 PM »

Order has been restored Andrew Jupiter named Chairman of Petrotrin.
:thumbsup:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 23, 2015, 07:09:48 PM »
This is what ah like to see. Positive.. we moving forward 🇹🇹 🇹🇹  :beermug: :beermug:

https://www.facebook.com/freedom.tt/photos/a.679709022108596.1073741827.679696105443221/908809652531864/?type=3
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 07:11:19 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Race and Politricks in Trinidad
« Reply #159 on: August 14, 2020, 02:55:30 PM »
T&T blinded by race
By Joshua Seemungal (Guardian).

Archbishop Jason Gordon and the Catholic Commission for Social Justice (CCSJ) are urging citizens to denounce racism in all its forms.

The calls came yesterday as social media continued to be abuzz with hateful race-laden commentary all sparked by the result of Monday’s General Election in which the People’s National Movement defeated the United National Congress.

Even as a recount in five constituencies seemed to continue to fuel the flames of race hate online, Archbishop Gordon, in his weekly online address, warned that a lot of heat laced with racial tone was building up, saying the resulting discord could be very destructive to the society.

“It’s clear in this country, right now, that we are blinded by race,” Gordon said, looking intently towards the camera.

“We cannot have a place in racism in this nation. We do not have a place for it,” Archbishop Gordon asserted.

One of the incidents which would have sparked the Archbishop’s comment would have been the backlash to a comment deemed as racist by Naila Ramsaran, the daughter of the owner of Ramsaran’s Dairy Products. Several supermarket chains have pulled the company’s products from their shelves after members of the public reacted angrily to Ramsaran’s comments, although she subsequently apologised and was fired as the company sought to distance itself from her commentary.

In his message, his Grace called on citizens to see commonalities in one another rather than differences. He begged citizens to forget hyphenated descriptions, saying first and foremost, we are all citizens of Trinidad and Tobago.

Gordon claimed he’s seeing things he has never seen in the country before, adding some of the words he’s seen were used in Rwanda prior to the African country’s 1994 genocide.

“This is a serious moment. A moment where we have to stop. We have to pray and where we have to call out people who are being racist. Call them out and ask them to cease and desist,” he said sternly.
However, Gordon also called on citizens to resist fighting fire with fire.

“Please, I beg you, Trinidad and Tobago, we only have one home and that’s here. Let’s not start fires now. Quell the fires,” he pleaded.

Warning that trouble lies ahead if things do not change, he asked citizens to put their trust in the election process.

“Let the process take its place. Let it come to its conclusion and let us live with whatever the result is,” Archbishop Gordon said.

The Catholic Commission for Social Justice (CCSJ) meanwhile urged all citizens to denounce racism, which it says “is a vile worm that eats at the very soul of our beings and our nation.”

In a statement yesterday, CCSJ chair Leela Ramdeen described racism as “a sin,” which she said should be “eliminated in all its forms.

Ramdeen said society should not forget the impact of racism on the lives of our ancestors.

Citing the Book of Proverbs in the Bible, Ramdeen noted that: “Without a vision the people perish.” She added, “We have a vision—laws e.g. our Constitution, the Equal Opportunity Act; policies; the tenets of our various faith communities. Transformation will only come when we move from paper to action. Faith without good works is dead.”

The CCSJ noted that the Catechism of the Catholic Church tells us that: “Created in the image of the one God and equally endowed with rational souls, all men and women have the same nature and the same origin. Redeemed by the sacrifice of Christ, all are called to participate in the same divine beatitude: all therefore enjoy an equal dignity. The equality of men rests essentially on their dignity as persons and the rights that flow from it.

“Every form of social or cultural discrimination in fundamental personal rights on the grounds of sex, race, colour, social conditions, language, or religion must be curbed and eradicated as incompatible with God’s design.”

Ramdeen noted that while “we abhor all the recent racist statements made on social media before and after our General Election, we agree with the UK journalist, Kehinde Andrews, who rightly says that “…focusing on individual prejudice has avoided tackling endemic, systematic racism, leaving significant inequalities.”

She said “as long as racism exists, justice and peace will never become a reality.”

“The time is long overdue for us as a people to reject racism and embrace and promote unity in our diversity. We ignore, at our peril, the call of all right-thinking people to do so. Let us pray for God’s grace to open our eyes and those of our leaders so that we will choose values and virtues that will help us to flourish and progress as a people,” Ramdeen said.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 15, 2020, 12:54:43 AM »
All I have to say is, don't take one of our famous mottos, " All ah we is one" for granted. As I have said on a QRC post, ever so often we have to revisit this statement. Is it true? Was it ever true ?  We have never had Afros and Indos face each other in the streets. I would not put my head on block that this cannot happen. There is too much guns floating around in the country. The hard work is now, while we can put a damper on it. Don't wait until the fire start to find water to put it out. This may not be the same situation. Remember how Abu and 1990 came and bite in we arse. It is incumbent on all of us on the forum to be vigilant and work in ways to put a damper on this situation. Don't take this for granted.

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 15, 2020, 08:03:09 AM »
All I have to say is, don't take one of our famous mottos, " All ah we is one" for granted. As I have said on a QRC post, ever so often we have to revisit this statement. Is it true? Was it ever true ?  We have never had Afros and Indos face each other in the streets. I would not put my head on block that this cannot happen. There is too much guns floating around in the country. The hard work is now, while we can put a damper on it. Don't wait until the fire start to find water to put it out. This may not be the same situation. Remember how Abu and 1990 came and bite in we arse. It is incumbent on all of us on the forum to be vigilant and work in ways to put a damper on this situation. Don't take this for granted.

The big question is who is fuelling this divide?- this emergence and proliferation of outward hatred is  embedded  in perceived privilege power and status. There are those who want , those who have and those  who simply distrust.

I have seen some postings on social media that  is blatant -hatred and derogatory - and if  this election is flaming these  sorts of behaviour it revealed that ideologies like these are latent and embedded in some individuals.

U ent see how they whinnng and keep on disrupting the processs
Very disappointed by all these candidates - - there is no honour among thieves with outlandish claims
I am appalluded by derogatory social media statements  which  are very disturbing - personal attacks on a any Leader and or any one people is very disrespectful.

But again all this is deflecting from an election victory and perhaps designed to disrupt and impede the democratic process

Tell me how does anyone belong and partake in a party whose leadership incites direct or oblique racist discourse? How does  a " blank person" find acceptance in such a party much less exhalt the principles of such a political entity?

The fact is that we are a pluralistic nation and as such any one ethnicity could be and has a right to be in position of governance. However any individual ascribing to take on a leadership regardless of ethnicity should do so with an ethical regard to all members of the electorate - opposing issues is one thing but attacking the ethnicity and by mere actions allowing followers to elicit rampant and explicit ethnic denegrating attacks is unconsciousable .

Shame shame shame on those individuals who resort to these insidious forms of  attacks on others to vent their hatred and defeat- All leaders and or elected individuals should take on a moral responsibility to call upon individuals to cease from this ethnic divide and to adopt a National identity-  'Trinbagonian'

BTW- people get caught up with either trying to defend, deny or accuse what was actually said by a leader - but no one seems to be questioning the intent nor asking for clarification of the term- what is a " blank man'?
If that was indeed the statement?
When leaders make disparaging statements it seems to give rise to their followers that this type of behaviour is condone. All we have to do is to witness the verbal diaherra from certain leaders in North America and see how political correctness is thrown out the window- how do blank republicans abide by or support a rhetoric of diviseness? And you know how we like foreign and how we like to emulate the American ideal- it's no wonder that the divisiness which we are seeing in TnT has become so pervasive and callous among sectorsi in our society- this is the pandemic of hatred we are encountering amidst the backdrop of an election- people wake up and look at a national identity as oppose to one of ethnic divide based on party.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #162 on: August 15, 2020, 10:13:23 AM »
Christian churches reject racism in T&T
NARISSA FRASER (NEWSDAY).

THE Open Bible Standard Churches of T&T (OBSCTT) and the Pentecostal Assemblies of the West Indies (PAWI) say they are "rejecting racism in all its forms." The latter described it as a "social cancer."

In a press release, OBSCTT sought to remind the public that God loves everyone, "having created every one of us in His image."

"...Racism has shown itself to be very destructive in every nation where it has taken root and been allowed to flourish, damaging populations in many nations. Even though it is natural to have an affinity or a special love for the particular ethnicity or race into which we were born, that affinity should not be the basis to look down upon, ill-speak and ill-treat, harm, endanger, or destroy others of a different ethnicity or race."

It said TT, with its many races and ethnicities, has generally been able to exist harmoniously "despite occasional flare-ups," but added that the most recent attempts to cause racial tension following Monday's general election "must be stopped before it goes any further.

"As a result, we call upon all of us to reject racism, and not to fan the flames of racism but to live consistently and constantly by and teach mutual respect and appreciation for each other."

PAWI shared similar sentiments, saying it "condemns, with all resolve, the manifestation and expression of racism from our multi-ethnic communities, political and religious divide of our beloved nation of TT."

It called for the "elimination and de-escalation" of race rhetoric, adding that the Pentecostal message speaks against five forms of supremacy tendencies: regiocentrism, sexism, ageism, racism and classism.

"We believe that the coming to the front of this social cancer threatens the very fabric of the aspiration of our society to be one of racial harmony, law and order. We, therefore, raise our voices with the full awareness that the insipid presence of racism has plagued the church from its inception, as evident in God’s rebuke to Peter for referring to Gentiles as common and unclean, Acts 10:14, 15.

"We, therefore, call on our political, religious and civil leaders to take the charge and put to death, and to de-escalate the race conflict, rhetoric and forms of institutional racism. We call on our beloved citizens to build our nation to be a place of harmony, peace and stability."

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 15, 2020, 02:10:55 PM »
Christian churches reject racism in T&T
NARISSA FRASER (NEWSDAY).

THE Open Bible Standard Churches of T&T (OBSCTT) and the Pentecostal Assemblies of the West Indies (PAWI) say they are "rejecting racism in all its forms." The latter described it as a "social cancer."

In a press release, OBSCTT sought to remind the public that God loves everyone, "having created every one of us in His image."

"...Racism has shown itself to be very destructive in every nation where it has taken root and been allowed to flourish, damaging populations in many nations. Even though it is natural to have an affinity or a special love for the particular ethnicity or race into which we were born, that affinity should not be the basis to look down upon, ill-speak and ill-treat, harm, endanger, or destroy others of a different ethnicity or race."

It said TT, with its many races and ethnicities, has generally been able to exist harmoniously "despite occasional flare-ups," but added that the most recent attempts to cause racial tension following Monday's general election "must be stopped before it goes any further.

"As a result, we call upon all of us to reject racism, and not to fan the flames of racism but to live consistently and constantly by and teach mutual respect and appreciation for each other."

PAWI shared similar sentiments, saying it "condemns, with all resolve, the manifestation and expression of racism from our multi-ethnic communities, political and religious divide of our beloved nation of TT."

It called for the "elimination and de-escalation" of race rhetoric, adding that the Pentecostal message speaks against five forms of supremacy tendencies: regiocentrism, sexism, ageism, racism and classism.

"We believe that the coming to the front of this social cancer threatens the very fabric of the aspiration of our society to be one of racial harmony, law and order. We, therefore, raise our voices with the full awareness that the insipid presence of racism has plagued the church from its inception, as evident in God’s rebuke to Peter for referring to Gentiles as common and unclean, Acts 10:14, 15.

"We, therefore, call on our political, religious and civil leaders to take the charge and put to death, and to de-escalate the race conflict, rhetoric and forms of institutional racism. We call on our beloved citizens to build our nation to be a place of harmony, peace and stability."

Leah we start calling on specific culprits and have them be identified and apologize and stand up for the crap they are doing- Have people define what they say and mean- still checking the dictionary for what is meant by a " blank man"
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 02:13:06 PM by ABTrini »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #164 on: August 30, 2020, 01:15:46 PM »
Justice Seepersad: T&T dangerously divided after 58 years of independence
YVONNE WEBB (NEWSDAY).

In a sermon streamed live to the Presbyterian community from the St Andrews Theological College in San Fernando on Sunday, Seepersad – a lay preacher – said, “We have a race relations problem and we have to fix it.”

He attributed some blame to the August 10 general election and warned that a house divided cannot prosper.

“We in this Republic have experienced a regrettable deterioration in our race relations with the build-up and conclusion of our general election.

“Our blessed Republic is reeling from a destructive degree of distrust, disdain, disrespect and dislike among the two major ethnic groups. Too many of us have engaged in race-bashing and discrimination.”

He said this path of divisiveness and discord cannot be allowed to continue.

“Let us not delude ourselves into believing that it is just emotive electoral rhetoric.”

Seepersad said the “hurtful and ill-advised advertisements and social media commentary exposed the entrenched nature of our deep-rooted ethnic biases and the disturbing disconnect between our groups” during the election campaign.

The situation is alarming as it is intolerable, and the discourse has to be diverted away from a discussion about who is more racial than whom, he said.

“We have a problem. Our people are at war with each other and we must address this reality if we are to save ourselves and our children.”

He said households must also refashion and redefine the conversations within the confines of their homes as significant pockets of the population have taught their children to dislike, distrust and disrespect those who are of a different ancestral heritage instead of engendering attitudes of love, respect and inclusivity.

Seepersad said biases must be suppressed and efforts made to address the root societal causes for alienation, societal dysfunction and poverty. National focus must be on a culture of inclusivity and citizenship.

“After decades of independence we still do not have a sense of national identity.”

He said there simply is no room in this small island for "us" against "them.”

“As fellow citizens, we must embrace our diversity and accept that we are all human beings fashioned in the likeness and image of the one true God.”

Seepersad called for consideration to be given to the formation of a “road map for the improvement to race relations and reconciliation” similar to government's road map to economic recovery.

Quoting from Acts Chapter 10, he used the story of the Jew, Peter, entering the home and preaching the gospel to the Gentile, Cornelius, to illustrate how this one act erased hundreds of years of prejudice, hatred and cultural differences.

“We need to be guided by the story of Peter's transformation and revolutionise race relations in this Republic by focusing upon “grace relations.”

He referred to the inspiring “I have a dream” message of the late Dr Martin Luther King Jr and the coexistence he espoused for lasting impressions to be based, not on the colour of a man’s skin, but on the life lived.

“Sadly, that type of coexistence is still elusive, including here in T&T.

“As we celebrate our independence, let us commit to the forging of a society where we are not identified as Indian, African, White, Syrian, Mixed or Chinese.”

Rather, he said, citizens must identify as Trinbagonians and not be defined by ethnicity but by the love for God and country.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #165 on: September 01, 2020, 05:05:35 PM »
You can be jailed for those racist remarks
Yvonne Baboolal (Express).

If you make comments with offensive racial overtones, you can be forcefully summoned by the Equal Opportunity Commission (EOC), tried and committed to prison for contempt.

The EOC also has the power to grant an injunction preventing people from using racial language.

And it’s all free.

The offended party does not have to pay for a lawyer. All they have to do is visit the EOC’s Ramsaran Street, Chaguanas, office and make a complaint.

Madam Justice Donna Prowell-Raphael, sole judge of the EOC, reminded citizens there was redress available for racism, during a national virtual symposium on Sunday on race relations in Trinidad and Tobago, hosted by the Faculty of Law, at The University of the West Indies, and the Catholic Commission for Social Justice.

Noting “we’re beginning to see some offensive language on social media”, Prowell-Raphael said this can result in racial hatred.

Newspaper columnist Raymond Ramcharitar, another panellist, like several others at the symposium, traced the recurring race factor in Trinidad and Tobago to politics.

“The State and social systems were designed to create racial strife for political purposes,” he said, “Anti-Indian racism is built into the State and has been from the 19th century.

“Indians have been treated as outsiders and faced a stream of racist rhetoric from the press, the leading citizens of creole Trinidad and other institutions.”

On the controversial topic of Ramsaran’s Dairy Products, he said: “A relative of the owners write a racial post on social media. People go in a frenzy and Ramsaran’s products are pulled off the shelves.”

He said, on the other hand, a stream of anti-Indian comments and articles were treated with significantly less outrage. Ramcharitar claimed the present racial circumstances are significantly driven by the international Black Lives Matter movement, which has found its way into T&T. However, the core of that movement, that blacks are racially victimised by whites, is inapplicable to Trinidad, he said.

“How can a group that has been in power for 48 or 58 years be racially disadvantaged?”

Ramcharitar said it’s because Indians are available to be painted as the oppressors in Trinidad. At the same time, he disembodied the notion that Indians in Trinidad are a disempowered minority. He said the reason the People’s National Movement (PNM) has been in power the longest was because of the absence of a viable opposition.

He quoted from the 1974 Hugh Wooding Commission.

“The opposition spent the pre- and post-Independence periods fighting itself, leaving the PNM to take and colonise the State.”

Ramcharitar said United National Congress (UNC) political leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar showed no compunction in sacrificing the national interest in favour of losing the August 10 general election to retain personal status. He said all her predecessors did it.

“Indeed, the Indian parties are characterised by insiders who, when rejected, return to destroy the party.”

Several testimonials from people who said they were victims of racism were read out at the symposium.

One Afro-Trinidad woman said after a general election which the UNC won, an Indian man told her and her family: “Is we time now to spit on n----r.”

She said, ironically, she and her family had voted and campaigned for the UNC.

Many others of mixed ancestry, particularly of Amerindian ethnicity, said they were victims of verbal racial abuse by both Indo and Afro-Trinidadians.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Rev Teelucksingh: Outlaw racism
« Reply #166 on: February 12, 2021, 02:59:45 AM »
‘Bachelor’ contestant Rachael Kirkconnell apologizes over racist photo controversy: 'I am ashamed about my lack of education'
Raechal Shewfelt·Editor, Yahoo Entertainment

The Bachelor's Rachael Kirkconnell has apologized.

Kirkconnell, who's a contestant on the current season of the long-running reality series, has faced accusations of racism since last month, when photos surfaced of her attending a fraternity formal with an antebellum plantation theme in 2018. Around the same time, a TikToker made an unverified accusation that Kirkconnell had bullied her in high school for dating a Black guy.

Kirkconnell is white, and she's competing for the heart of Matt James, the show's first ever Black bachelor.

"At one point, I didn't recognize how offensive and racist my actions were, but that doesn't excuse them. My age or when it happened doesn't excuse anything," she said in a statement Thursday afternoon. "There are not acceptable or okay in any sense. I was ignorant, but my ignorance was racist. I am sorry to the communities and individuals that my actions harmed and offended."

The 24-year-old said she was "ashamed" of her lack of education and that she's learning. She also encouraged others to use this as a "teachable moment" to prevent someone else from making the same mistake.

She concluded by saying, "Racial progress and unity are impossible without (white) accountability, and I deserve to be held accountable for my actions." As for forgiveness, Kirkconnell said she hopes to earn it with her actions going forward.

Kirkconnell, who's a contestant on the current season of the long-running reality series, has faced accusations of racism since last month, when photos surfaced of her attending a fraternity formal with an antebellum plantation theme in 2018. Around the same time, a TikToker made an unverified accusation that Kirkconnell had bullied her in high school for dating a Black guy.

Kirkconnell is white, and she's competing for the heart of Matt James, the show's first ever Black bachelor.

"At one point, I didn't recognize how offensive and racist my actions were, but that doesn't excuse them. My age or when it happened doesn't excuse anything," she said in a statement Thursday afternoon. "There are not acceptable or okay in any sense. I was ignorant, but my ignorance was racist. I am sorry to the communities and individuals that my actions harmed and offended."

The 24-year-old said she was "ashamed" of her lack of education and that she's learning. She also encouraged others to use this as a "teachable moment" to prevent someone else from making the same mistake.

She concluded by saying, "Racial progress and unity are impossible without (white) accountability, and I deserve to be held accountable for my actions." As for forgiveness, Kirkconnell said she hopes to earn it with her actions going forward.

Just one day earlier, Bachelor host Chris Harrison issued an apology for having defended Kirkconnell during an interview with Rachel Lindsay, who was the first Black star of The Bachelorette in 2017. When asked about the photos, Harrison initially said people should not be so quick to judge Kirkconnell.

"We all need to have a little grace, a little understanding, a little compassion," he said. "Because I have seen some stuff online — this judge, jury, executioner thing where people are just tearing this girl's life apart and diving into, like, her parents, her parents' voting record. It's unbelievably alarming to watch this. I haven't heard Rachael speak on this yet. Until I actually hear this woman have a chance to speak, who am I to say any of this? I saw a picture of her at a sorority party five years ago and that's it."

When Lindsay said the controversial images were "not a good look," Harrison responded by asking if it was a good look in 2018. Lindsay's response was that it was "not a good look ever because she's celebrating the Old South. If I went to that party, what would I represent at that party?"

Harrison argued, "50 million people did that in 2018."

Rachael Kirkconnell stars in The Bachelor. (Photo: Instagram)

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Racism Thread
« Reply #167 on: March 15, 2021, 07:00:23 AM »
For too long in North America the issuseof racism seems to be centered around black white.at what point will we ever see  representatives of electric raciliazed individuals ontvshows like the bachelor? Or in  commercials?

When  will leaders apologized for swaying public opinion and inciting hate?  We still have a leader who swore that she uttered " a blank man....... in reference to another leader"  and like sheep there is a  herd who  obidently stood and defended these statements. Why would any sane rational person support leaders or individuals who overtly display or articulate blatant racial discord?
Birds of a feather Fck together -ooops  I said Flock

« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 06:55:16 AM by ABTrini »

1]; } ?>