April 28, 2024, 01:30:59 AM

Author Topic: TnT's first Olympic Female Medalist TO BE.....remember I said it.  (Read 1475 times)

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
May 25, 2007

Results

Rhonda Watkins had a stellar afternoon in Eugene, OR at the NCAA West Region Championships as the sophomore posted the No. 2 mark in the world this year (22-4.25, wind-legal) to win the long jump competition.

That mark breaks the nearly 20-year old Pac-10 record set back in 1988 by former Bruin Gail Devers (22-2.50) and moves her to No. 2 all-time behind UCLA great Jackie Joyner-Kersee (23-9). The mark also breaks Watkins' own West Region record (21-6), which she jumped in 2006 to win the regional title. It also gives her the World Championships qualifying mark.

On the game plan for today's competition - "I was definitely trying to PR. I was also thinking about getting my qualifier for the World Championships."

On the winning mark - I didn't think it was that far because it didn't feel like the best jump. I'm happy it didn't feel like a big deal because I know I can do better."

Jumps Coach Mike Powell on Watkins only taking three of her six jumps - "The goal here is to qualify for nationals.That's the main reason we are here. The goal coming in was to jump 6.80m and she did that. You risk injury for no reason if you keep going. So we stopped after the prelim round. Now not ony is she qualified for NCAA's, but Worlds, and we have to be careful with what we do."

Powell on Watkins bouncing back from a third-place finish
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: TnT's first Olympic Female Medalist TO BE.....remember I said it.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 07:44:27 PM »
oh gosh and kelly ann would be # 2 right  8)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
Re: TnT's first Olympic Female Medalist TO BE.....remember I said it.
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 08:21:32 PM »
Rhonda has already has achieved more if you look at it. You know I have Kelly-Ann bias, but after speaking to Mike Powell and seeing the success every single week, I have to be honest.
BORN TO DO IT

1]; } ?>