April 27, 2024, 11:53:27 AM

Author Topic: Ato quits, heads to Saudi Arabia  (Read 11405 times)

Offline stevereno159

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Ato quits, heads to Saudi Arabia
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2007, 09:03:01 PM »
Good luck Ato, your the reason I even know about Trinidad and Tobago - Story below so if you don't want to read it go to the next post.

I don't remember exactly what I was watching, World Championships or Olympics or something, but the announcer guy said you ran/trained with some U.S. guy, I don't remember who, then for some reason I liked you for some reason, (lol) and I have payed attention to T&T even since. - Especially the soccer/football team. - i have fifa 06 road to germany or whatever its called and my fav team is t&t and i only play as t&t lol - btw why is cornell glenn at the bottom of the reserves on that game? - (i make sure i start him when im playing - lol)

anyways, congrats n good luck
Iowan intrested in T&T

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2007, 09:47:10 PM »
Uhm, but do you play Latapy on your team for more than 20 minutes  :devil:
BORN TO DO IT

Offline stevereno159

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2007, 10:00:21 PM »
yes? ??? - lol sorry if i missed something, i just got "into" t&t soccer when they got into germany

oh and i think it was mo greene you trained with right?
Iowan intrested in T&T

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2007, 10:06:03 PM »
Yes, Mo Greene was surely the American training partner they referred to.

- the inside "joke" (not a joke trust me) which everyone but you in here would know, is that one of our most beloved and decorated (and oldest) players, Russell Latapy, who was playing in certainly his first and last WORLD CUP...didn't get to play until the second half of the last game - of 3 games the team played.  We lost the final two.  It is one of the most controversial events in our sports history.

http://www.turkishpress.com/news.asp?id=171302
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 10:11:23 PM by atoboldon »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline stevereno159

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2007, 10:33:41 PM »
thats a shame - why didnt beenhakker (coach) or whatever his name is play him more? - n hes starting in the game  ???
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 10:36:27 PM by stevereno159 »
Iowan intrested in T&T

Offline noname

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2007, 12:24:18 AM »
more kindling for the fire....Ato, lewwe hear what you really say this time.

Ato: Panday wrong leader

Former UNC senator speaks out

Anna Ramdass aramdass@trinidadexpress.com

Saturday, April 14th 2007

Former Senator and Olympic medallist Ato Boldon says he does not believe that United National Congress interim political leader, Basdeo Panday, is the man to lead the party at this time.

"I would say without fear that he (Panday) does not need to be where he is," Boldon said on the I 95.5 morning talk show programme yesterday.

Boldon admitted that when he joined the party last year, he was of the view that Panday was going to step down and the reins of power would be handed to former UNC leader Winston Dookeran.

"I said 'okay, if it is he (Panday) is going to step aside, I think there will emerge new leadership which can take the party away from the direction which it is now'," Boldon said.

"When I joined the Opposition, it was an Opposition where there were no convictions, it was a lot simpler than it is now."

When questioned by talk show hosts Tony Lee, Dale Enoch and Darian Marcelle if he (Boldon) came into the UNC because he thought Dookeran would be leading him, Boldon replied, "I came because I felt like Winston Dookeran and other people who are currently in the UNC represented a chance for us."

Boldon said he was very hurt when Dookeran left the UNC.

"No one was more upset about the split than I was, because I really felt that this was something in the long run that was going to be detrimental to both sides and I think very clearly it has been," he said.

However, Boldon maintained that he had utmost respect for Panday and does look up to him, but "I cannot be in a party where we are distracted, that is a big problem for me".

"I don't agree with the focus the party has now, it is too focused on an individual. That bothers me more than I had admitted," said Boldon.

When asked if he were called upon by Dookeran, now political leader of the Congress of the People (Congress), to serve in his party, Boldon replied, "At this point I am heading in the other direction. I will have to seriously consider it."

He also said he was still a member of the UNC and has a party card.

When contacted by the Express for further questions yesterday, Boldon said he had been advised not to speak on the issue.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2007, 08:48:16 AM »
WI cricket team coach.  Well, I definitely cyah do no worse, eh.  First move - Chris Gayle u and yuh mohawk go home and learn to move yuh blasted foot when yuh battin!  :rotfl:

And in those two lines you've already been a more constuctive leader than those in the WICB and WIPA..

Good luck Ato. Keep kickin ass  :beermug:

Offline fatman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2007, 11:28:11 AM »
 I agree with your comment ATO ,not only in athletics but many sports great athletes are unable to make that transition to great coach. i howevr fully believe you have the ability to escape the fate of the others you have not just depended on your god given talent and training program you are also a true student of the sport and will succeed.

Offline fatman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2007, 11:33:43 AM »
Willi can you give me more details on  bert camerons coaching career successes  he was one of my favorite athletes at a time in my youth when i supported no one outside of trinidad athletes, west indies cricket team and brazil at world cup.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2007, 12:08:29 PM »
I going southern Games.  Guardian go have my comments tomorrow but they making it seem like I say is "Dookeran or sink", when I was saying that u dont leave the team u believe in, even if u disagree internally, as I do about certain things and that i am heading in the other direction from politics not that I would seriously consider it.  Has to be one or the other.

The drama continues, but I stand by what I said.  Many more feel it, and wont say it.  Their business.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2007, 05:31:54 PM »
Willi can you give me more details on  bert camerons coaching career successes  he was one of my favorite athletes at a time in my youth when i supported no one outside of trinidad athletes, west indies cricket team and brazil at world cup.

He is a St Jago old boy and was their coach for a while. He has since moved to Wolmers who came 4th in boys Champs this year. He is a high school coach (very successful).

Not sure if he ever coached seniors.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2007, 05:32:33 PM »
Ato yuh know dem Saudi 'omen go hadda learn to run in dem big long, black dresses with dey face covered up...how yuh go make out wid dat son ;D

Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2007, 06:15:31 PM »
NO such thing as a female Saudi athlete!  >:( :o
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2007, 12:40:40 PM »
NO such thing as a female Saudi athlete!  >:( :o

Sad but true...yuh might hadda drag dem folks into the modern era

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2007, 03:57:31 PM »
But again to clear up - don't believe our brilliant journalists who made EVERYONE believe with their stupid jump to an untrue conclusion - that I am going to Saudi to coach - I never said that. They are coming to LA.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 04:10:15 PM by atoboldon »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2007, 05:01:38 PM »
Uhm, but do you play Latapy on your team for more than 20 minutes  :devil:

I wonder if Palos reading dis  :devil:
The benching of is on Latapy on every T&T forum ........
...dey say he too ole to soca ...oye yo yoy dey making joke  :beermug:

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2007, 05:03:09 PM »
Well, I came to Saudi Arabia - Riyadh to be exact - stayed in a huge palace belonging to the prince (I kept thinking this man has lived like this since he born and he is 50 something now, and also this is why my car is $81US to fill in California) - certain things over here are like another planet - others are exactly the same - i.e Toyota Prados are plentiful lol - the article will be in the Guardian in 2 weeks I think.

Life is good....they have 2 guys who are 10.1 and a very good quartermiler/200m guy - the 100m guys don't start correctly and they are short so I have my work cut out for me but I am looking forward to it. 

As I said, there is no such thing as a female Saudi track athlete. >:(. That's a different story. 
I will say I feel quite ignorant because I think in the west we look at a country like Saudi Arabia and others around here and say "poor them" because of stuff we read or think we know but I can tell u people here are very happy.  They have endless money food and water, and life is good, even if it hot likehell.  My driver fill up for about $10!  I tried to look at it in reverse.  We laugh at the fact that they don't have elections etc.   What must they laugh at concerning western politics and politicians?  A lot!  We pity their women and how they are "treated" - most of which is BS cuz I haven't seen that here.  What would they say if they saw the Danah Alleyne video, or Carnival, TNT or Brazil?  They might think that was "disgusting" too.  Lots of other things that I will take away from here that prove that some things u can't read in no book or see on CNN - you just have to come here and see. All their letters to the editors of papers are praise and joy at where they live.  Most of what we read and hear is BS, no more than someone saying death is a surety if you visit TnT.  I thought I had done it all and seen it all. Not even close.  Trips to Egypt, Lebanon and Jordan with the team much later in the year I am sure will teach me even more.  The trip of a lifetime.

I am penning a letter to the papers to ask why on earth does the government and Sportt give one million dollars to Rawle "CROOK" Raphael who owes everyone locally and abroad tons of money, has zero credibility and who has run that meet into the ground and a huge joke, instead of putting the money into something that can translate into an actual success or maybe even a medal next year? 

What is it with old men in sports administration in this country who don't know when to let "power" go and walk away from something they are clearly failing miserably at????

The Hampton Games is a total joke that maybe 100 people will go to and even fewer will actually benefit from, yet the government is giving them a million dollars?  For what? For Rawle and his family to say they put on another track meet this year and kept up the proud Hampton Tradition?

Pissed off isn't even the word. 

Give David Prime a million dollars and he will deliver you medalists.  He coahed Burns and Brown and won Penn Relays twice - with no help! Edwin Skinner!  There is someone who has contributed to TNT track!

When is the last time anyone here even heard of Hampton Games, let alone went to one?

>:( :cursing: :cursing:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 05:14:46 PM by atoboldon »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2007, 07:01:44 PM »
Well, I came to Saudi Arabia - Riyadh to be exact - stayed in a huge palace belonging to the prince (I kept thinking this man has lived like this since he born and he is 50 something now, and also this is why my car is $81US to fill in California) - certain things over here are like another planet - others are exactly the same - i.e Toyota Prados are plentiful lol - the article will be in the Guardian in 2 weeks I think.

Life is good....they have 2 guys who are 10.1 and a very good quartermiler/200m guy - the 100m guys don't start correctly and they are short so I have my work cut out for me but I am looking forward to it. 

As I said, there is no such thing as a female Saudi track athlete. >:(. That's a different story. 
I will say I feel quite ignorant because I think in the west we look at a country like Saudi Arabia and others around here and say "poor them" because of stuff we read or think we know but I can tell u people here are very happy.  They have endless money food and water, and life is good, even if it hot likehell.  My driver fill up for about $10!  I tried to look at it in reverse.  We laugh at the fact that they don't have elections etc.   What must they laugh at concerning western politics and politicians?  A lot!  We pity their women and how they are "treated" - most of which is BS cuz I haven't seen that here.  What would they say if they saw the Danah Alleyne video, or Carnival, TNT or Brazil?  They might think that was "disgusting" too.  Lots of other things that I will take away from here that prove that some things u can't read in no book or see on CNN - you just have to come here and see. All their letters to the editors of papers are praise and joy at where they live.  Most of what we read and hear is BS, no more than someone saying death is a surety if you visit TnT.  I thought I had done it all and seen it all. Not even close.  Trips to Egypt, Lebanon and Jordan with the team much later in the year I am sure will teach me even more.  The trip of a lifetime.

I am penning a letter to the papers to ask why on earth does the government and Sportt give one million dollars to Rawle "CROOK" Raphael who owes everyone locally and abroad tons of money, has zero credibility and who has run that meet into the ground and a huge joke, instead of putting the money into something that can translate into an actual success or maybe even a medal next year? 

What is it with old men in sports administration in this country who don't know when to let "power" go and walk away from something they are clearly failing miserably at????

The Hampton Games is a total joke that maybe 100 people will go to and even fewer will actually benefit from, yet the government is giving them a million dollars?  For what? For Rawle and his family to say they put on another track meet this year and kept up the proud Hampton Tradition?

Pissed off isn't even the word. 

Give David Prime a million dollars and he will deliver you medalists.  He coahed Burns and Brown and won Penn Relays twice - with no help! Edwin Skinner!  There is someone who has contributed to TNT track!

When is the last time anyone here even heard of Hampton Games, let alone went to one?

Like yuh vex boi Ato ;D

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2007, 07:33:21 PM »
I must vex when u givin the dotish clueless ole man money when there are tons of young lives that they might actually help with this... and in track to boot! 

Anytime u see this is some pardna thing.

Fed up of this shit.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2007, 11:06:17 AM »

I

Ato

Is either you portrayin de men in the most positive light because ah who goin an sign yuh cheques or you not there long enough to make a rounded picture
Since you is ah fellah dat doh seem to hold yuh tongue on most issues...I figure it's the latter

I have a cousin who work out dey for a few years after he get out the u.s. military
He paint a completley different picture of the place . If you talk to the everyday man who cyah afford dem hotels that you stayin in...dem fellahs will give you a different vibe of what they think of the saudi royal family

He and he pardners tellin me is real slackness dat does be goin on behind the scenes with children an ting.......it kinda make sense to me if ah handful of rich men who runnin the place are able to scoop up damn near all the desirable women...the average man ..who out number de royals, will get left suckin salt

Even as a casual observer...anytime you get ah palce where ah woman not allowed to participate in sport and cyah even drive ah golf cart self..yuh hadda recognize dem fellahs who runnin dat place is on pure opression

Like everything else in life..whether is preachers kid or preachers country..anytime something portrayed as overly positive and perfect tell yuh self it have ah seedy underbelly somewhere

Anyway keep dem observations commin..when man like morvant and you and fishs doin yuh reports..I does enjoy readin about that part of the world

Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2007, 02:39:03 PM »

I

Ato

Is either you portrayin de men in the most positive light because ah who goin an sign yuh cheques or you not there long enough to make a rounded picture
Since you is ah fellah dat doh seem to hold yuh tongue on most issues...I figure it's the latter

I have a cousin who work out dey for a few years after he get out the u.s. military
He paint a completley different picture of the place . If you talk to the everyday man who cyah afford dem hotels that you stayin in...dem fellahs will give you a different vibe of what they think of the saudi royal family

He and he pardners tellin me is real slackness dat does be goin on behind the scenes with children an ting.......it kinda make sense to me if ah handful of rich men who runnin the place are able to scoop up damn near all the desirable women...the average man ..who out number de royals, will get left suckin salt

Even as a casual observer...anytime you get ah palce where ah woman not allowed to participate in sport and cyah even drive ah golf cart self..yuh hadda recognize dem fellahs who runnin dat place is on pure opression

Like everything else in life..whether is preachers kid or preachers country..anytime something portrayed as overly positive and perfect tell yuh self it have ah seedy underbelly somewhere

Anyway keep dem observations commin..when man like morvant and you and fishs doin yuh reports..I does enjoy readin about that part of the world

Dutty a few years I had the pleasure of conducting some business with a Saudi gentleman and he was schooling me about the vibes there. There are many poor people, and the women not as "oppressed" as a westerner might believe. He say dem princes does be drinking liquor and ting(in private of course) and if you get in good with one ah dem yuh business fix. SA cud be a potential powder ked waiting to explode.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2007, 03:50:33 PM »
I'll be the first to admit that 1) I ent been here that long, and 2) living in a 40,000sq ft palace ent exactly going to give me the real view of the country, but like I said, the women thing I have definitely been enlightened about.  Again, don't put your spin on it - u still looking thru westerners eyes talkin bout "driving and sports".  You see it as all of them dying to play sports and drive.  What I hear is that most grow up not wanting either one and as far as the driving, trust me I and all wouldn't drive here ever - and I drive everywhere I go.  It's the worst driving I have ever seen in my life driving wise.

The other thing is if u ban something it just going to go underground, and I have seen that here with the women and the liquor.

P.S.  You know cheque or no cheque, I calling it how I see it.  Ask Bas.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 04:00:37 PM by atoboldon »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2007, 04:20:39 PM »
Guess the letter reach....

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_opinion?id=161149735

......Trouble in paradise already ......these  :cursing: are lazy no arse, I find out some of them smoke cigarrettes, and I realize they rather get girls and drink til they drunk than actually work hard and have real careers.  Saudi does the opposite of TnT....they reward way too soon, and way too much.

Maybe starving and hungry is how athletes should always be in truth.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 04:56:22 PM by atoboldon »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2007, 01:23:51 PM »
Guess the letter reach....

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_opinion?id=161149735

......Trouble in paradise already ......these  :cursing: are lazy no arse, I find out some of them smoke cigarrettes, and I realize they rather get girls and drink til they drunk than actually work hard and have real careers.  Saudi does the opposite of TnT....they reward way too soon, and way too much.

Maybe starving and hungry is how athletes should always be in truth.

:o :o Wheeey Ato! ah read de article, take care Rawle ent hit yuh ah calpit eh! ;D

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2007, 11:50:34 AM »
Rawle's old arse could barely stand up good.... :rotfl:
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2007, 12:36:54 PM »
Ato I stil feel dat TnT need more woman sprinters Kelly Baptiste is  best a seen so far. I jes luv to see dis gyul run but wa bout Fana and Wanda , Monique and Ayanna are u invitin dem 2 go train at LA aswel. Cuz i feel dat all dey need is d rite coaching and i believe u can giv it 2 dem. Have u made it known 2 them dat tey are welcom der? and wat about Josanne Lucas u shud invite her in too she is really gud as a hurdler cuz I think she ran 12.98s in d 100H and 55s in 400H but I haven't heard about her this year i think she is done at auburn. I wud like to hear of her being successful in d future it wud b a shame  2 hear such talent wasted. Just like fana shes already run 11.03 in a tail wind just above legality wich says dat she iz capable ov runin around those times. But again as is the case with many ov or sprinters she just went down becuz ov a lack in propa coaching. Trinidad's men sprinters have already made themselves known in the Track and field world it's time for some ov our ladies to shine

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2007, 06:51:42 PM »
You are definitely right we have such a rich history in the men but women.....however....

I can't want it more than them.

Soon, I will put out the word out in the press again that any elite trini sprinter can come to LA and train with me, but coming to LA is not that simple - of course you have to be able to live/eat and that isn't easy in one of the most expensive cities in the USA/world if you are without contract or money.  Of course they all have some sort of gov't money coming in but that's another story. 

To be honest, without outing anyone, there are some names you called that have given up because the desire is not there or they weren't that good in college and feel like they didn't have what it takes to make it at the next level.  Some are right - and that's ok.  Every college player doesnt go to the NBA. 

Some people have no idea the type of person it takes to succeed on this level - probably the ones saying why u ent take so and so when that person has underachieved at every level to date. The confidence, the drive, etc its not just "oh well i was in college and now I here" - some sort of natural progression.  TONS have great collegiate careers and are never heard from ever again. That is a lonnnnng list.
Pro track is one of the hardest things to make a living at because of how tough it is to be at or near the top.

I need some initiative from some of these girls too....even if they never set foot in LA - just on their own wherever they end up.  The story I have heard from some is that they had to eat, so track took a back seat cuz it wasnt paying - and that is ok too - I understand - but that is not my area or my problem, quite frankly. 

Those who want to will get found because they will want it badly enough to.  John Steffensen showed up at UCLA and sat in the stands for weeks every day largely ignored until John would coach him, and he is from AUSTRALIA.  HE is now Commonwealth 400m champion with a 44 mid PR.  Maurice drove across the country with all his possessions in his car - and very broke.  He became a legend.  I changed the university I was going to go to, to work with John Smith. Inger Miller fired her father as her coach to come to John and be a world 200m champion.  See something in common with all the people who started HSI? Nothing would stop us from doing it. Not real life, money etc.  Whatever had to be done, it got done so we could realize our dreams.

The ones who want to be great find a way.  What I will not be doing is - recruiting.  Uh-uh. No more than the Lakers or A.C Milan would be recruiting me hoping I wanted to come play with them. Even NFL and NBA players have to declare in the draft and workout so teams can see them!

This is pro sports.  You make your intentions and ambitions known - then someone decides to reward you or help you.  Not before. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 07:24:29 PM by atoboldon »
BORN TO DO IT

1]; } ?>