March 28, 2024, 06:03:47 PM

Author Topic: Ato quits, heads to Saudi Arabia  (Read 11326 times)

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ato quits, heads to Saudi Arabia
« on: April 12, 2007, 06:30:25 AM »
Ato quits, heads to Saudi Arabia

Kimberly Mackhan

Trinidad Express

Thursday, April 12th 2007

Olympic medal winner Ato Boldon resigned from the Senate yesterday to pursue a career as a track and field coach for the Saudi Arabian national sprint team.

He said that he would not be returning to politics in the near future.

"Much has been written and speculated about questioning my next move, let me tell you what I have. This morning I agreed to become the coach for the Saudi Arabian national sprint team.

"My broadcast deal is not finalised. My broadcast deal at this point is not with ESPN. It is not with NBC," Boldon said at a press conference in Committee Room #3 of the Red House yesterday.

"The Saudi Arabian contractual agreement, what it does mean is that this is my first step in taking a step to being a major track and field coach," he said.

Boldon was sworn in on February 14, 2006.

"For three years, since my retirement I have been trying to avoid staying in track and field. I have kept my passion going with my website and with my broadcast career. I am going to be on CBS for the remainder of this year, in several capacities, that does not change with CBS but my long-term, my permanent deal in terms of a broadcast form is not going to happen later and when it is 100 per cent done we will let you know," Boldon said.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Ato quits, heads to Saudi Arabia
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 12:26:25 PM »
Ato keeping low on this one yuh get ketch....wha happen to tnt ato we could ah use yuh
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 01:00:36 PM »
Get Ketch? :rotfl:

Understand that it's like Country X giving u a chance to set up a big cricket academy in Barbados.  It doesn't mean only Bajans can come there.  If you are running the show you can bring whomever you want.  Simple as that.

I'm not heading to Saudi - they are coming to me in LA, and Trini elites have already been shown the welcome mat - they can come train in a great camp for nothing - it wil benefit the Saudis to run with our athletes and vice versa. Also, remember the dynamics of tnt - if I say today "I am going to coach tnt elite sprinters" who exactly will I coach? None of them live here!  Remember that. 

Better to be in the US to get them, since if they are good enough they all leave for the US to go to school and further their careers. Most usually stay there (Brown, Burns, Harper, Armstrong et al)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 01:12:59 PM by atoboldon »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 01:59:02 PM »
Congrats Ato!
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 03:18:06 PM »
wayyz... i read de headline an say de man goin an try to organize ah personal  harem in smart

good for you man,, do yuh ting  :applause:....
to siddong in parliament and listen to bas, patrick and ken valley and de res ah dem drone on an on must be enuff to make people slit dey wrist

anyway wit all dat saudi money flowin..put dutty on yuh list for ah bugatti veyron......and get yuh self someting nice wit de change..ah small gulfstream g3 or someting

no need to thank mih...yuh welcome
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 03:31:45 PM »
Congrats Ato .. make de most of it. :beermug:
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 04:14:08 PM »

Understand that it's like Country X giving u a chance to set up a big cricket academy in Barbados.  It doesn't mean only Bajans can come there.  If you are running the show you can bring whomever you want.  Simple as that.

I'm not heading to Saudi - they are coming to me in LA, and Trini elites have already been shown the welcome mat - they can come train in a great camp for nothing - it wil benefit the Saudis to run with our athletes and vice versa. Also, remember the dynamics of tnt - if I say today "I am going to coach tnt elite sprinters" who exactly will I coach? None of them live here!  Remember that. 

Better to be in the US to get them, since if they are good enough they all leave for the US to go to school and further their careers. Most usually stay there (Brown, Burns, Harper, Armstrong et al)

What a wicked man.

If yuh forming camp, you couldnt tell a brother man so he can send yu a few tips on how to recruit. LoL

Sew up the Caribbean easy. Man you should be going to Champs in Jam, TnT (already done, i expect) and the Bahamas. With your name recognition, you will be flooded with much quality aspirants.

Big up Ato...you know I have been hinting at this for years. You will do well, no doubt.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 04:22:48 PM »
Congrats Ato  :beermug: hope to see a few sub 10's coming from your camp...all the best.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 04:43:35 PM »

You eh easy brotha well done , well done  you have too much insight into the sport to not use it in that way  way to go

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 06:18:57 PM »
yeah Ato you paid your dues in my book. You chose to put us on de map when , unlike others, you looked for the red, white and black, even though you created a scandal once when you couldn´t find it .
and doh dig nutten ..if roberto carlos and batistuta and dem want to learn some arabic why not you ?

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 06:47:35 PM »

All the best in this your latest Chapter in your life.
may all your dreams come to fruition.
Sprint ON!
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline noname

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 09:15:47 PM »

Congrats and good luck in this new challenge. We know you will do well....if them youngsters giving trouble, put on yuh spikes and show them how it is done...

Anyhows, i like how you put those "reporters" in their place,

Taken from Trinidad Guardian, April12th 2007,

BY COREY CONNELLY

Contrary to media reports, United National Congress (UNC) Senator Ato Boldon will not be taking up a broadcasting job at the US-based ESPN network.

Boldon confirmed this yesterday during a news conference in Committee Room B of the Red House.

The briefing, held during the tea break of yesterday’s sitting of the Upper House, was called to formally announce his resignation from the Senate.

Weeks ago, it was reported that the retired Olympian was due to leave the UNC to take up a lucrative broadcasting job with the network.

Yesterday, Boldon, in confirming the move, thanked Opposition Leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar, UNC interim leader Basdeo Panday and deputy leader Jack Warner for their support during the past 14 months.

Also coming in for kudos were fellow senators Wade Mark and Jennifer Jones-Kernahan, who he said, provided advice and encouragement.

On his broadcasting offer, Boldon would only say: “My permanent deal—in terms of a broadcast home—is not going to happen until later when it is absolutely 100 per cent done.”

Boldon did announced, though, that he was now the coach for the Saudi Arabian national sprint team.

“This morning (yesterday), I agreed to become the coach for the Saudi Arabian national sprint team,” he told reporters.

“But my broadcast deal is not finalised.”

On the coaching opportunity, Boldon said: “This is my first deal toward being a major track and field coach and the channels will be open so that any elite track and field athlete could pursue his or her Olympic dreams can now be coached by me.”

Referring to the media reports about a possible ESPN affiliation, the former track star had some advice for reporters.

“I would just like to ask members of the media to be a little bit more professional in your reporting,” he said.

“When you are in the middle of negotiating something and there is an international report, it becomes very embarrassing...So I have had to spend weeks talking to ESPN and saying ‘No that is, in fact, a false report.’ ”
  :applause:

Regarding a possible return to politics, Boldon said: “I don’t think so, simply because while I am very proud of the stance I took, I understand very clearly that there are things right now that I have to do while I am still at this age and while I am still being given the opportunity...I feel that it is a question of striking while the iron is hot.”

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 09:48:34 PM »
No harem!   :D

I will go there (Saudi) to meet and greet and do press very soon, but between this and the broadcasting thing I am really excited.  Believe it or not, people are writing my website to say how I is a self-serving, never Olympic-Gold-winning traitor for not coaching Trinis first.  I love my country, oui.   ;D

I really appreciate the support from you all, and as much as I didnt see myself becoming a coach, I have sat on the sidelines for 3 years now trying to not jump in, but I think I can help a lot of people improve.  With Tim Montgomery etc continuing to give track a black eye, I have my part to play now too, I guess.

Who vex lorse. 

D' Traitor.

P.S. I ent making no secret that I want my first TNT athlete to be Kelly-Ann Baptiste.  She already understands the drive phase techinque, and she appears very coachable (and willing to run 200m!)

P.P.S You will notice after asking them to be professional what the article and headline says - which I never said and is a huge and incorrect assumption - I am going there to coach them there.  So glad they acquiesced to my little request.  >:(

My favourite Parliamentarian - and the one who makes the most sense to me consistently, had an interesting column

http://www.guardian.co.tt/Gillian-Lucky.html
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 10:44:03 PM by atoboldon »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 10:12:02 PM »
Good Luck Ato .....ah ein't know wha yah could do with them men  ;D but good luck ,if any body could u could. ....... ,or take all yah money in bullion  ;)

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
BORN TO DO IT

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 11:53:00 PM »

Everybody could now stand up and look and say no drugs will be involved in that camp. The Saudis does execute man for that.
Mus be one of the reasons dey pick de Ato Boldon elite camp instead some quasi Balco org.

Buh be carefull, if yuh start to produce world beaters dey going to find drug in de blue food ah sure yuh going to recommend man eat.

Hope yuh real successful an wen yuh hard yuh fill of dat come back an coach de West Indies cricket team.  ;D ;D
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 09:02:56 AM »
WI cricket team coach.  Well, I definitely cyah do no worse, eh.  First move - Chris Gayle u and yuh mohawk go home and learn to move yuh blasted foot when yuh battin!  :rotfl:
BORN TO DO IT

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 09:19:58 AM »
Good read and good to see that God given talent is being put to good positive us.

All the best in this venture. I know that TNTwill still benefit from your expertise. All TNT government has to do is send  future TNT track athletes to up to you for clinics and  sessions; bring yuh down home and have you work with the youths and  our upcoming stars. This is a win win for all.

Is all Oil $$$$$ at work.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 09:36:21 AM »
LOL doh think i ent go enjoy cashing them Saudi cheques.  Is 3.30 for premium in California for gas!  I call that recycling.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2007, 09:42:28 AM »
Flow yuh passion. Yuh always  tend to d that.

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2007, 11:18:16 AM »
LOL doh think i ent go enjoy cashing them Saudi cheques.  Is 3.30 for premium in California for gas!  I call that recycling.

Steeeups, is nearly $6 here so I aint sorry for ya. LoL

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2007, 11:23:39 AM »
Good descision ATO, sitting in Parliment is not for you, your destiny lies elsewhere, so jump at the opportunity, yuh already know how Trini goes about organising things, especially where track and field are concerned.

GOOD LUCK BREDS

Offline fatman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2007, 11:50:57 AM »
ATO i once heard you say somethig to the effect that you did not think you were a good coach .this confused me. your comments show an analytical mind and some one with a wealth of knowledge in their chosen field . i think you have qualities to in time become a brilliant coach.you have the ability to transform trinidad and tobago  athletics, if you get the support.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2007, 12:22:39 PM »
I have said for 10 years I don't think I have the patience to coach and I know how obsessive compulsive I was with my own career with film/stats/scouting and if I can't get an athlete to be like that I wouldn't be sure how to approach it.  I will figure that out now, I suppose.

Also I don't know of one olympic medalist who became a great sprint coach.  Can you name one?  It's out of respect I have for the coaches I have had, I guess. Hearing today that my former coach John Smith, whom I hold in the highest esteem (almost 100 Olympic medals in 20 years!) thinks this is the best thing ever for me, gives me a little more confidence because he knows me better than I know myself.

I want Kelly Ann - she go make me look good ;D, I think I can help her become a star and I ent have to tell you how much I think of her abilities.  Plus, it's Tobago time! Rhonda Watkins is probably the best performing tnt athlete on the planet right now, quiet as it's kept.  Think about it.  World Junior Champ last year, NCAA champ this year. She has won the last 2 championships she has been in, one being a world title.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2007, 01:03:09 PM »

Also I don't know of one olympic medalist who became a great sprint coach.  Can you name one?

I know he didn't actually win an Olympic medal, but you wouldn't say that John Smith was on that level? 

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2007, 02:06:18 PM »
I have said for 10 years I don't think I have the patience to coach and I know how obsessive compulsive I was with my own career with film/stats/scouting and if I can't get an athlete to be like that I wouldn't be sure how to approach it.  I will figure that out now, I suppose.

Also I don't know of one olympic medalist who became a great sprint coach.  Can you name one?  It's out of respect I have for the coaches I have had, I guess. Hearing today that my former coach John Smith, whom I hold in the highest esteem (almost 100 Olympic medals in 20 years!) thinks this is the best thing ever for me, gives me a little more confidence because he knows me better than I know myself.

I want Kelly Ann - she go make me look good ;D, I think I can help her become a star and I ent have to tell you how much I think of her abilities.  Plus, it's Tobago time! Rhonda Watkins is probably the best performing tnt athlete on the planet right now, quiet as it's kept.  Think about it.  World Junior Champ last year, NCAA champ this year. She has won the last 2 championships she has been in, one being a world title.

doh forget renne quow also ato
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Pro-Jayz

• Sr. Warrior
  • Is ah long time since ah went Gulf City!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2007, 03:02:07 PM »
Wish yuh de best Ato...I remeber watching yuh at de world championships in athens back in 97 in meh grandmother house...after yuh cross de finish line (200m final) ah run outside de room screaming with excitement...cant wait to see what more excitement this camp will offer
only born in Santa Cruz BUT RAISED IN SAN FERNANDO..so dont get tied up!...I FROM SOUTH!

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2007, 05:15:46 PM »
Yeah but Rene is a 400m runner I would defer that to John.  John definitely knows the 400 he still has the record for the 440 yards. He was def on that level, but my statement is stil technically true ent lol.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2007, 06:38:31 PM »
Yeah but Rene is a 400m runner I would defer that to John.  John definitely knows the 400 he still has the record for the 440 yards. He was def on that level, but my statement is stil technically true ent lol.

Quarrie did a decent job with Fatima Yousef.

Ray did a less impressive job with Bev.

Bert Cameron is doing well at the high school level, very well.

The UK guys, esp. D Campbell were clamouring for Christie to be Nat coach.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2007, 07:02:51 PM »
Ato I agree wid de kelly ann move  ...she real talented boy ...
Since i see dat young turk smoke fana ashby , a more seasoned runner, in de stadium i have great respect for her.
ah go make ah call :devil:

1]; } ?>