April 26, 2024, 09:04:30 PM

Author Topic: Question About Historical Teams  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
Question About Historical Teams
« on: April 14, 2007, 09:05:43 AM »
Is there any reason the old teams like Malvern, Maple, Cocorite United ETC are not playing in the Pro League?

Are they essentially there under a different name?

Or is there some reason these teams just aren't there?
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Question About Historical Teams
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 05:46:00 AM »
Good Morning Ball Jumbies,
                                    Let me put meh two cents here. Unfortunately, the administraors who run the clubs, especiially Maple and Malvern, did not or do not  have the foresight to move with the times in T&T football. It is hard to the believe that these two clubs with such glorios past did have the foresight to seek sponsorship and go professional. They felt that because of there name the good players will come to them and play for nothing. I am surprise they still football. They still playing in the NFA, I belive. M& M and Colts use to bring the crowds out, whether in front the grand stand, the Oval, Geo IV, St. Mary's ground(POSFL use to play in the late  60's) or PSA. Look at Jabloteh, they came sometime in the 70's and they going real strong. Their admin. had the foresight to  seek CLICO.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 12:32:13 PM »
I would also like to add my two cents here.We can say like nobody in Football in those times had the forsight that it would reach to this stage,the one man that did is in control today.

Is only two teams from back in the day is still around and that's DF and Police,all the rest from from what ever part of the country either do not exist or just have some guys carrying the name.

All these teams could have still been in existence but the changing of the guards is what caused it,the ones to replace the older heads were not there(no replacements Admin),no continuation.Although players were not paid clubs always had good support,some got jobs so players played for them,others were employed in good jobs,the services benefited at one time and businesses too,in the South(oilfields).

I could of never imagined Memphis(Arima),PF Civic Center for example not being able to produce teams,these are areas rich in our Football history,Malvern players was more or less from the East(Tunapuna,Tacarigua) powerhouse areas.Although it is said money can buy anything this is one thing it can't buy,times have changed we are dealing with a different type of player today,the amount of money clubs paying to play in that Pro League,pay players/coaches salaries,on top of that playing to empty stadiums,i think we have a Football crisis and no one wants to recognize that,a lot of questions but no answers,a lot of ideas that can't work,a lot of talk but no action.

I can tell you something about every team that played in T&T from back to the days of Shamrock,Casuals,TPD,Colts,Texaco,Caroni just to name a few,games were always good regardless of who played even our schools.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 05:32:26 PM »
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the insight. The question was raised in my mind as a result of the constant plea for supporters at the games. I am aware that politics have a part to play in its struggle. Coops brought to light the possibility of the mindset of the contemporary generation (MONEY or else). And then the funding to carry on a d sustain the clubs. Thanks again.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

1]; } ?>