April 28, 2024, 10:22:41 AM

Author Topic: Monumental Tragedy  (Read 12256 times)

Offline noname

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Monumental Tragedy
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2007, 09:54:47 PM »
well I am an RA at the school here in NY...this ting have us all a lil scared, cuz we automatically looked at how quick we could possibly lockdown this campus if something similar was to occur. Especially as people giving the police and administration so much heat for not being able to lock down their campus quickly enough. And the sad thing is we don't even think under our current system that it wud be possible to do it in even an hour here and our on campus population is so much smaller than Virginia Tech.
it really is a sad sad thing and condolences to all those who have lost loved ones there
People just like to find fault, instead of more positive thing like discussing how to be able to deal with this type of situation in a different way in the future.

Noname, all my prayers to your Dept and
I real hope this does not happen
"The University president might be forced to resign after this one. " Why ???

The question about why the campus wasnt locked down after the first two shootings leads the case. He made the call to not lock it down. Now we have people with the benefit of hindsight saying if the campus was locked down, the second shooting would not have occurred. Pure B.S in my opinion but they are chewing him up right now.

Sad, rather than helpin the families mourn, we have these morons traipsing around campus trying to land news stories.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2007, 02:08:51 AM »

I just got word that we lost 3 people from our dept, a brilliant faculty member, a graduate student and a senior undergraduate. My undergraduate assistant lost two of his good friends as well. Keep your thoughts and with the families. Plenty pieces to pick up.

:-[ Our thoughts and prayers are with you all...This is so so sad...

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2007, 02:28:21 AM »
Like I told my co-workers the problem is in the US constitution. The right to carry arms. The need to be very stringent and particular with this right.
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

truetrini

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2007, 06:08:49 AM »
Like I told my co-workers the problem is in the US constitution. The right to carry arms. The need to be very stringent and particular with this right.

so what is the problem with the T&T constitution, where the right to bear arms is not guaranteed, yet...we have so many bloody murders?

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2007, 06:44:55 AM »
Virginia Tech president: Shooter was Asian student

POSTED: 7:02 a.m. EDT, April 17, 2007
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/17/vtech.shooting/

Story Highlights• NEW: No ID on shooter; school president says it was Asian student living in dorm
• At least two professors among the dead in Virginia Tech massacre
• Police have preliminary identification of campus gunman
• University officials say 33 dead, including gunman

Adjust font size:
BLACKSBURG, Virginia (CNN) -- The gunman who opened fire in Virginia Tech's Norris Hall, killing 30 people before turning the gun on himself, was "an Asian male who was a resident in one of our dormitories," university President Charles Steger said Tuesday.

Steger didn't provide further details and he said he was still uncertain whether the student gunman at Norris was the same one who fatally shot two people in a dorm two hours earlier.

He added, however, that he didn't think a second gunman was on the loose.

University police Chief Wendell Flinchum said Monday night police have a preliminary identification of one gunman, but they are not ready to release it. (Watch how some are asking why warnings weren't issued sooner )

As the campus, and the nation, reel in the wake of the deadliest shooting in U.S. history, questions are many but answers are few.

Did the same gunman kill two people in a dormitory and then two hours later chain the doors of an academic building and begin to kill as many as he could?

Should campus officials have canceled classes after the first shooting, at the dorm? Authorities say they believed the dorm shooting was an "isolated incident" and were still investigating it when the slaughter occurred at the other campus building, Norris Hall. (Officials thought shooter had fled)

The gunman killed 30 people and wounded 15 in Norris Hall classrooms.

Steger told reporters Monday night that officers found the front doors of Norris Hall chained shut and that by the time they got to the second floor, the gunfire stopped.

A law enforcement source close to the investigation said a .22-caliber handgun and a 9 mm handgun were recovered at the scene. (Watch how quickly these guns can be fired, reloaded )

Surviving by playing dead
The gunman was dressed "almost like a Boy Scout," said a student who survived by pretending to lie dead on a Norris Hall classroom floor.

"He just stepped within five feet of the door and just started firing," said Erin Sheehan.

She described the gunman as a young man wearing a short-sleeved tan shirt and black ammunition vest.

"He seemed very thorough about it -- getting almost everyone down -- I pretended to be dead," she said. (Watch student describe surviving by playing dead )

"He was very silent," said Sheehan, one of only four students in her 25-student German class who were not shot.

The gunman left but returned in about 30 seconds. "I guess he heard us still talking," said Sheehan.

"We forced ourselves against the door so he couldn't come in again, because the door would not lock."

The man tried three more times to force his way in and then began firing through the door, she said.

Student Tiffany Otey was taking a test inside Norris Hall when the shooting began. She and about 20 other people took refuge behind a locked door in a teacher's office.

Police officers with bulletproof vests and machine guns were in the area. (Watch a student's recording of police responding to loud bangs )

"They were telling us to put our hands above our head and if we didn't cooperate and put our hands above our heads they would shoot," Otey said. "I guess they were afraid, like us -- like the shooter was going to be among one of us." (Watch students react to shooting )

Some students leaped from windows to escape, said Matt Waldron.

"These two kids, I guess, had panicked and jumped out of the top-story window, and the one kid broke his ankle and the other girl was not in good shape just lying on the ground." (Watch gunfire on the campus )

Dormitory shooting two hours earlier
The day's first shooting, at the dormitory, left two people dead. That shooting occurred about 7:15 a.m.

The dormitory, West Ambler Johnston Hall, houses 895 students and is located near the drill field and stadium. (Campus map)

At the time of the later shootings at Norris Hall, police were investigating a "person of interest" in the dormitory shootings, Flinchum said. But the man -- a non-student who knew one of the victims -- had not been arrested, and it is unclear if he has any link to the other gunman, he said.

Victims' identities being released
Courtney Dalton, an 18-year-old student who worked at West End Dining Hall, said a friend named Ryan Clark was one of the two dormitory victims.

She said Clark, a resident assistant at West Ambler Johnston Hall, had once worked at the cafeteria serving pizza.

"He was a happy person; this is really sad," she said, sobbing.

"All I can do is pray for his family now," she told CNN.com. (Watch the police chief explain where bodies were found )

As of early Tuesday, the identities of three other victims had been released:

G.V. Loganathan, a professor of civil and environmental engineering

Liviu Librescu, a professor of engineering science and mechanics

Ross Alameddine, a student from Saugus, Massachusetts.

Convocation on campus Tuesday
The university, which has more than 26,000 students, has scheduled a convocation for 2 p.m. ET Tuesday. Classes also have been canceled Tuesday. In Washington, the House and Senate observed moments of silence for the victims and President Bush said the nation was "shocked and saddened" by news of the tragedy.

Last August, the first day of class was cut short at Virginia Tech by a manhunt for an escaped prisoner accused of killing a Blacksburg hospital security guard and a sheriff's deputy.

Before Monday, the deadliest mass shooting in the United States occurred in 1991, when George Hennard drove a pickup truck into a Killeen, Texas, cafeteria and fatally shot 23 people, before shooting and killing himself

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2007, 08:00:51 AM »
perp = 19 yr. old korean on a green card.

now he immortal in the eyes of the media like all mass murderers.

that was probably he motive anyhow.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2007, 08:07:30 AM »
perp = 19 yr. old korean on a green card.

now he immortal in the eyes of the media like all mass murderers.

that was probably he motive anyhow.

The gunman in Monday's Virginia Tech campus shootings has been identified as Cho Seung-Hui, 23, a student and native of South Korea, campus police chief Wendell Flinchum said.

cnn.com

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2007, 08:10:47 AM »
after all de rumours blow into de wind like goat shit yuh go hear de korean was gettin horn and he went on ah rampage.story done.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2007, 08:56:30 AM »
so far they saying the shooter had a glock 9mm and a .22 calibre handgun. how much bullets that could hold?

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2007, 09:02:26 AM »
Today, as we go about our normal lives doing mundance things and the not so mundance, let us remember the lives lost.  Let those who knew them not focus on how they died, but on how they lived.  Let us remember the contributions they made to their families, to their loved ones and to society.  After the shock has died down and the sorrow lingers, let us hope that their loved ones find comfort and joy in their memories.

To lives lived.
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2007, 09:03:57 AM »
so far they saying the shooter had a glock 9mm and a .22 calibre handgun. how much bullets that could hold?
it all depends on de clip.some magazines hold 9 or 10.de 22 handgun could hold up to 15 dependin on size.some glocks could hold about 19 or 17 not sure.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 09:11:08 AM by capodetutticapi »
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2007, 10:01:14 AM »
from what i'm hearing those who are wounded had no less than 3 bullets in them.

is not even a semi automatic rifle, so that means to me the killer shoot every bullet with the intention to kill everyone in his sight....he got 32.

2 sets of killings, one email passed and within 2 hours a masscare...
laura and george coming to visit and most likely give dey condolences to the family and friends. what i'll be interested to hear is if he will bring on the stiffer gun laws that his government refused to acknowledge/pass in his 13.5 minute speech.

Someone was in the office earlier this morning, and brought up a good point. it took the US president to reach Virginia in less than one day but a whole week to reach New Orleans.

Things dat make you go hmmm - after colimbine and the amish murders, this seems to me as another sartistic for the history books.

I'm just numb.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 11:06:05 AM by Sec_Twin »

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2007, 10:40:16 AM »
i feel real real sorry for the victims and victims' parents. i doh get it i just dont.....now fear might strike the hearts of parents sending the kids away for college.

:'( :'( :'( :'(
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2007, 10:58:55 AM »
well, i already reading that is "people that kill people" not guns. and i trying to understand what a classroom *supposed* to look like.

all the teacher's should be packing. along with their lecture notes and laptop, they should have a gun. maybe instead of using a laser pointer, they can get a laser sight installed on their gun and just use the gun to point to the details on the powerpoint slides.

and the students should all be packing as well. they can ridicule all the poor students that can't afford the latest model and have to make do with their father's old revolver. and of course, kevlar laptop cases.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2007, 11:16:39 AM »
Guns don't kill people. 3canal does kill people, cars does kill people, bombs does kill people.
In the end you have a random nutjob with a gun.

The gun made him more efficient. If he went in there with a cutlass, he would not have been as effective.

The gun control debate is another intractable one in this country. there will be lots of talk. Nothing will happen.

As for GWB, after all the talk he get about Katrina, you think he could wait before he show up here?
Plus, Blacksburg is a short helicopter ride away.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2007, 11:26:49 AM »
I see them gun arguments beginning to rise up already
I can see the pros and cons of both sides of the debate...so I cyah make judgement on de people ting
Either way the N.R.A is an incredibly powerful lobby, so nuttn changin dey

But de dead aint even buried yet and de arguments start already  :-\

I really hope dat fellah aint shoot all dem innocent people because of some chupidness like he gyul leave him oui
Everytime these things happen, the reason does usually be some minor issue that millions of people done overcome, but de shooters seem to think dem problem is de biggest in de world and go 'crazy'

but yet not crazy enough to wait around and get arrested
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2007, 12:05:23 PM »
Here is another twist, the fact that gunman was a "foreigner" will definitely ignite the flame about immigration reform.
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2007, 12:28:20 PM »
Here is another twist, the fact that gunman was a "foreigner" will definitely ignite the flame about immigration reform.

Yep!!
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2007, 12:31:03 PM »

I just got word that we lost 3 people from our dept, a brilliant faculty member, a graduate student and a senior undergraduate. My undergraduate assistant lost two of his good friends as well. Keep your thoughts and with the families. Plenty pieces to pick up.

Condolences noname.  Keep strong breds.  

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2007, 03:23:06 PM »
here's an interesting graphic about gun-related homicides.

it looks like t&t, usa is considered medium while jamaica, st. lucia (?!), st. kitts, virgin islands, haiti is considered high.

Offline noname

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2007, 05:44:08 PM »

is not even a semi automatic rifle, so that means to me the killer shoot every bullet with the intention to kill everyone in his sight....he got 32.

laura and george coming to visit and most likely give dey condolences to the family and friends. what i'll be interested to hear is if he will bring on the stiffer gun laws that his government refused to acknowledge/pass in his 13.5 minute speech.

Someone was in the office earlier this morning, and brought up a good point. it took the US president to reach Virginia in less than one day but a whole week to reach New Orleans.

Things dat make you go hmmm - after colimbine and the amish murders, this seems to me as another sartistic for the history books.

I'm just numb.

To clarify your post, neither student had died from the morning shootings by the time he started his rampage in Norris. Yes they should have closed the campus. Did they have the benefit of hindsight like we do? No.

thanks for all the kind words. there are a lot of kids who need help and we're trying to provide it for them. As the names come out, the news gets worse and worse. We're up to 6 from our own ranks now and we've pretty much stopped picking up our phones at this point. Its been extremely difficult since we all sat/instructed in that classroom at one point or the other. Keep their families in your prayers. We're expecting more names.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2007, 05:47:26 PM »

I'm just numb.

To clarify your post, neither student had died from the morning shootings by the time he started his rampage in Norris. Yes they should have closed the campus. Did they have the benefit of hindsight like we do? No.

thanks for all the kind words. there are a lot of kids who need help and we're trying to provide it for them. As the names come out, the news gets worse and worse. We're up to 6 from our own ranks now and we've pretty much stopped picking up our phones at this point. Its been extremely difficult since we all sat/instructed in that classroom at one point or the other. Keep their families in your prayers. We're expecting more names.

noname ... my condolences to all of you.  Virgina Tech and families are in my prayers.

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2007, 05:48:13 PM »
Noname my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your faculty associates. It can be hard being so close to a tragedy like this, so be strong and hope you pull through.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2007, 09:21:53 PM »
noname, tt, all the virginia-based, all the vt alumi - my condolensces.

truetrini

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2007, 09:39:45 PM »
thanks..va tech is loved where I am,much more than U VA.   much much more...it is so sad here eh, it eh funny.

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2007, 01:01:02 AM »

so what is the problem with the T&T constitution, where the right to bear arms is not guaranteed, yet...we have so many bloody murders?

Fear is the problem in T&T. No one wants to speak because of fear of reprisal. No one knows who to trust. the Popos have too many leaks and friend thing. I should be de chief ah police in Trini a bet yuh crime go down in less than 3 months.  :devil:
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2007, 04:45:12 AM »
Condolences to you Noname and all your friends at Virginia Tech.
This was a very sad episode that happened.
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2007, 08:18:01 AM »
Professor: Shooter had real 'mean streak'

. Cho's behavior, poetry so intimidating, teacher says she had him removed
• Former English department chair pulled Cho Seung-Hui out of class
• Police stand by decision not to lock down campus after first shootings
• Former roommates say Cho Seung-Hui stalked women, spoke of suicide
. Ex-roommates say killer had stalked women
. Professor: "I would have been shocked' if it wasn't him"

http://www.cnn.com/video/player/player.html?url=/video/us/2007/04/17/acosta.disturbing.writing.cnn

(CNN) -- As tales of Cho Seung-Hui's worrisome behavior continued to surface Wednesday, a renowned poet and author who taught the 23-year-old suspected gunman called the notion that he was troubled "crap" and said he was downright "mean."

Nikki Giovanni was in San Francisco, California, getting ready to fly home to Blacksburg when she heard the news Monday that 32 students were killed in separate shooting incidents on the Virginia Tech campus.

"I knew when it happened that that's probably who it was," Giovanni said, referring to her former pupil. "I would have been shocked if it wasn't."

Though Giovanni, another professor, Cho's former roommates and a classmate all recall Cho behaving in a disturbing manner -- and authorities confirm he was investigated after being accused of stalking a woman -- there was nothing criminal about his demeanor. (Classmates called Cho "question mark kid")

In fact, university police Chief Wendell Flinchum said his department had no clue that Cho posed a threat to anyone.

"We're exploring all those things right now as we do our investigation to try and determine why and what triggers the incident. But we weren't aware of that before," Flinchum said.

The university and its police have been the target of criticism from students who felt they weren't adequately warned about Cho -- even after two people were killed in a dormitory early Monday morning.

Though police have linked a gun used in Norris Hall -- where 31 people, including Cho, died -- they have yet to say he is officially accused of the first shootings.

The university has defended its response to the first shooting, which police were reportedly still investigating when gunshots erupted in Norris Hall -- more than two hours after police were called to the dorm.

Flinchum said Wednesday that details gleaned from the investigation at the West Ambler Johnston dorm led to a decision among university officials and police that the campus did not need to be locked down.

"There is a lot of details we were providing to the administration and a decision was made based on that information," the chief said.

University President Charles Steger has said police believed the incident was "a domestic fight, perhaps a murder-suicide" that was contained to one dorm room.

Police cordoned off the 895-student dorm and all residents were told about the shooting as police looked for witnesses, Steger said.

"I don't think anyone could have predicted that another event was going to take place two hours later," Steger said.

'Something mean about this boy'
Though there was nothing criminal about Cho's behavior -- he easily passed a background check, according to the store owner who sold him one of the guns -- his actions did concern some students and faculty members. (Watch dealer recount selling weapon to Cho )

Cho's poetry was so intimidating -- and his behavior so menacing -- that Giovanni had him removed from her class in the fall of 2005, she said. Giovanni said the final straw came when two of her students quit attending her poetry sessions because of Cho.

"I was trying to find out, what am I doing wrong here?" Giovanni recalled thinking, but the students came to her during her office hours and explained, "He's taking photographs of us. We don't know what he's doing."

Giovanni went to the department's then-chairwoman, Lucinda Roy, and told her she wanted Cho out of her class, and Roy obliged.

"I was willing to resign before I was going to continue with him," Giovanni said. "There was something mean about this boy."

Giovanni said she's taught her share of oddballs in the past, but there was something malicious about Cho's behavior.

"I know we're talking about a troubled youngster and crap like that, but troubled youngsters get drunk and jump off buildings; troubled youngsters drink and drive," she said. "I've taught troubled youngsters. I've taught crazy people. It was the meanness that bothered me. It was a, really, mean streak."

Giovanni's account came Wednesday as Roy and Cho's former roommates shared stories about the resident alien from South Korea now accused of exacting the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history.

Authorities also confirmed that Cho was investigated last year for stalking a woman in person and by e-mail.

Roy, who taught Cho one-on-one after removing him from Giovanni's class, recalled Cho exhibiting a palpable anger and secretly taking photographs of other students while holding the camera under his desk. (Watch the professor tell how her student frightened her )

His writings were so disturbing, she said, that she went to the police and university administrators for help.

"The threats seemed to be underneath the surface," she said. "They were not explicit and that was the difficulty the police had."

Ian McFarlane, who had class with Cho, said two plays written by Cho were so "twisted" that McFarlane and other students openly pondered "whether he could be a school shooter." (Read MacFarlane's blog and the two plays)

Cho's roommates, who asked to be identified only as Andy and John, had similar accounts. Andy recalled police coming to the dormitory to investigate Cho's involvement with a female students and when Andy told police that Cho had spoken of suicide, "they took him away to the counseling center for a night or two."

In retrospect, Cho had exhibited "big warning signs," Andy said. But he was so quiet, the roommate said, "he was just like a shadow." (Watch Cho's roommates describe his "crazy" behavior )

Authorities are still investigating whether Cho had any accomplices in planning or executing Monday's rampage, Flaherty said.

Cho, who moved to the United States at age 8, lived at the university's Harper Hall, Flinchum said.

"He was a loner, and we're having difficulty finding information about him," said Larry Hincker, associate vice president for university relations.

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2007, 08:18:35 PM »
i hear de man send a video to nbc......and mention de killers of columbine...
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

1]; } ?>