March 28, 2024, 08:25:28 AM

Author Topic: Allyuh Samuels didn't even apologise to him  (Read 3657 times)

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Allyuh Samuels didn't even apologise to him
« on: April 21, 2007, 10:10:43 PM »
and the English players gave him a better sending off than his own team. This real heart-breaking.

'At least I had the opportunity to say goodbye' - Lara

Sambit Bal in Barbados

April 21, 2007

Dwayne Bravo was one of the few who demonstrated his affection for Lara enthusiastically © Getty Images

In the end, there was a tear in his eye, and he left to a warm round of applause from journalists, not all of whom had been always adoring. Brian Lara's final press conference was a mammoth affair, and among many warm memories, it carried enough hints about the circumstances that hastened his departure.

"At least I had the opportunity to say goodbye", he said, "I saw Viv Richards, Gordon Greenidge, all these guys wanted to go that little extra step. Unfortunately they were not granted the opportunity to."

Lara chose not to answer directly what changed his mind about touring England as a Test player, but he repeatedly made it clear it had been his plan to tour. "I sat with the selectors in Antigua to pick the team for England, and of course I picked myself."

What had changed then? "West Indies cricket is at a stage where change is necessary," he said, "We are most likely going to have a young captain, someone under the age of 30 years, and he will need to mould this team with the support that he needs.

"I just thought there is no need for me to be out there? Physically there is nothing much I can do to help at present. It's just a matter of allowing the team that change that is needed. Maybe this is just one of it. Maybe there is a lot more to take place. But I just see no reason for me to carry on at this present time."

Lara sometimes cut a slightly lonely figure on the field during his last match. There was a hug with Chris Gayle as the two crossed path when Gayle was returning to the pavilion, but only Dwyane Bravo, a fellow Trinidadian whom Lara has nurtured, demonstrated his affection enthusiastically. English players welcomed Lara with guard of honour when he came to crease, but there was no such salutations from his own team at the end of the day. On his last day at Sydney, Steve Waugh had his final parade on the shoulders of his team-mates; Lara hurried through stairs, past his team-mates, and disappeared in to the Garfield Sobers Pavillion.

Earlier in the day, he had been run out when Marlon Samuels hit the ball to mid-on, charged off the blocks before retracing his steps. When asked if Samuels had said sorry to him after the game, Lara pursed his lips, fumbled for words, and said nothing. "It would have to be a yes, or a no. So I will leave it."

The subject of his captaincy came up more than once but Lara wouldn't be drawn into a discussion. "What I have to do is just wish the team and the new captain all the best, and try to persuade the West Indies Cricket Board to ensure that the captain and the team have the support that is necessary from them.

"You might see eleven individuals out there and of course we are criticised all the time after we have a bad performance. But West Indies cricket goes deep and unless we lay a proper foundation, you know you are going to get that sort of performance out in the middle. On one day we are spectacular and can score 418 runs to win a Test match in fourth innings, and the next day we can't score 60.

Lara: 'I have no reason to be worried about it anymore. I just want to move on' © Getty Images

"About that captaincy thing, I have no reason to be worried about it anymore. I just want to move on. My support is always going to be there. I have had an open-door policy with the players. They all know my number and they can call me at any point in time, for anything at all and I will be there to support them."

His eternal regret, Lara said, was that West Indies remained an abysmal team for the last 12 years of his career. "The most unfortunate thing in cricket is not achieving what I set out to do from the very beginning: to be a part of a successful team over a long period of time. I had a little taste of it when I started in 1989, and up till 1995. The last 12 years have been very disappointing.

"That in itself is the sort of disappointment I have had. I am just very thankful to be able to break all those records. It has been a great honour to play for the West Indies, to hold a bat and to spend 17 years in international cricket. That is something I am proud of."

Lara didn't rule out the possibility of playing county cricket or getting involved with the game in some way. "Right now, I am going to take a break. Maybe a week, maybe two weeks. Then I will look at options. I not committing to anything, or ruling anything out.

"But first of all, I just want to move back a little bit, relax and wake up tomorrow, or next week or two weeks from now, knowing I can do what I want. I can pick my daughter up and take her to school and do many different things that I haven't been able to do in the past. The future is there and I will have a lot of opportunities in front of me. But there is no reason to rush into anything at this present time."

Sambit Bal is the editor of Cricinfo and Cricinfo Magazine

www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Allyuh Samuels didn't even apologise to him
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 01:31:24 AM »
The whole tone of the article seems to be untrue. Contrast it to this:
http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20070422/sports/sports1.html

Gayle gave Lara a big hug...see the picture.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 07:24:32 AM »
and the English players gave him a better sending off than his own team. This real heart-breaking.

Earlier in the day, he had been run out when Marlon Samuels hit the ball to mid-on, charged off the blocks before retracing his steps. When asked if Samuels had said sorry to him after the game, Lara pursed his lips, fumbled for words, and said nothing. "It would have to be a yes, or a no. So I will leave it."

I'm not quite sure what to make of this comment, but it seems to be reflective of the strained relationship that Lara has with some members of the West Indian team.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 07:27:33 AM »
The last comment under the highlighted text is my take on the article.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 08:37:38 AM »

i will give cricinfo more credit than the gleaner fella we know that some in that part of the caribbean um...aint to fond of lara and his contibution to WI cricket.
cricinfo draws its commentry from a wide array of commentaros who by and large know what they talkign about.
so i eh care what the gleaner say.
at any rate the team dat alra demolished so much so often was the ones who had a PROPER guard of honor for an opposiing player.
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 12:28:44 PM »

i will give cricinfo more credit than the gleaner fella we know that some in that part of the caribbean um...aint to fond of lara and his contibution to WI cricket.
cricinfo draws its commentry from a wide array of commentaros who by and large know what they talkign about.
at any rate the team dat alra demolished so much so often was the ones who had a PROPER guard of honor for an opposiing player.

Imagine that...England had a proper guard of honor for a player who has achieved two world record innings against them.

Isn't that something.

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 01:35:56 PM »

A picture says a thousand words.

Cricinfo commentators had all kinds of shite to talk about us before the WCup started.

Are U guys fans of Windies Cricket or exclusively or Lara?? Great player he was, but he gone, so I guess you all done with cricket now??? Steeeuuupppsss.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 02:08:15 PM »

Imagine that...England had a proper guard of honor for a player who has achieved two world record innings against them.

Isn't that something.
That might be part of our problem rite there,lack of Class .We lacking a lot in this generation ,they don't even try to pretend to be honorable as past players. Remember Cricket is The gentlemans game ,so maybe we not lacking talented cricketers but Gentlemen ,in todays crop .
We depending on a bunch of players who to cool for school ,or men like Gayle who to cool to run .
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 02:10:31 PM by Compre »

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 03:19:02 PM »

Isn't that something.
That might be part of our problem rite there,lack of Class .We lacking a lot in this generation ,they don't even try to pretend to be honorable as past players. Remember Cricket is The gentlemans game ,so maybe we not lacking talented cricketers but Gentlemen ,in todays crop .
We depending on a bunch of players who to cool for school ,or men like Gayle who to cool to run .
as ah said in another thread..them fellas just there for looks..sunglasses and big chain round dey neck..steups
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 04:09:46 PM »
No willi...no contrast there.  The article did say that Gayle hugged him on the way to the pavillion.  The set up business about ah plan to run out de man cyah be true.  No sah.

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 04:14:12 PM »
No willi...no contrast there.  The article did say that Gayle hugged him on the way to the pavillion.  The set up business about ah plan to run out de man cyah be true.  No sah.

I cant believe any set up business. That seems far fetched and way too bad mind for most anyone.

In any case, the article online has a picture of the embrace.

Lara going early may be bad for us fans, as he is an entertaining batsman...still the most stylish at the moment, but it may be good for the young team. Force them to grow up fast!!!

They will have to face lix and learn from that.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 08:15:23 PM »
The man legacy will be like Hooper realllll promise but neva deliver and he run out the man. Hoopless when the man made his first 100 and Shamwells in his last innings
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 08:19:25 PM »
Lara's runnout yesterday was unfortunate and no real blame can be laid on Mr Samuel. but I jus could not help notice while the express, barbados nation and cricinfo all say that samuel called for the single.  The jamacian observer choose to report

Lara had been run out for 18 in his final innings, as a crowd of 22,452 groaned with disappointment.
Lara was dismissed in the 31st over, when backing up too far, he got into a tangle with Marlon Samuels, and he was sent back, but he could not beat Pietersen's under-armed direct hit at the bowler's end.

Oh well you can't win them all

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 10:00:31 AM »
Lara's runnout yesterday was unfortunate and no real blame can be laid on Mr Samuel. but I jus could not help notice while the express, barbados nation and cricinfo all say that samuel called for the single.  The jamacian observer choose to report

Lara had been run out for 18 in his final innings, as a crowd of 22,452 groaned with disappointment.
Lara was dismissed in the 31st over, when backing up too far, he got into a tangle with Marlon Samuels, and he was sent back, but he could not beat Pietersen's under-armed direct hit at the bowler's end.

Oh well you can't win them all

F*ckers
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 11:21:41 AM »
as ah said in another thread..them fellas just there for looks..sunglasses and big chain round dey neck..steups

yeah..! friggin gayle cyah run cause he worried the damn chain go fly up and buss-way the sun glasses. And doh talk bout saraman who tooo big and fat to turn a single into a double.  >:(
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 11:42:13 AM »
also,

notice in the gleaner pic, Lara eh hug back gayle....he was probably frightened of the dagger that gayle does carry.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 01:20:12 PM »
also,

notice in the gleaner pic, Lara eh hug back gayle....he was probably frightened of the dagger that gayle does carry.

Lawd God.

Unno nih easy at all.

Trini is hell fi true. You have mi cracking up.

LoL

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2007, 02:36:11 PM »
also,

Lawd God.

Unno nih easy at all.

LoL

Are  you ReggaeFart in disguise?
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2007, 02:04:47 AM »
also,

Lawd God.

Unno nih easy at all.

LoL

Are  you ReggaeFart in disguise?
No, are U?

Offline Warrior till death

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIOR NATION MEMBER #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2007, 01:28:48 PM »
Samuels do it on purpose

1]; } ?>