April 25, 2024, 01:12:43 AM

Author Topic: Positive vibes, good news thread!  (Read 65738 times)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Positive news from the home front.
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2010, 01:52:36 PM »
clear up a couple things for me

Isnt he too young to be writin dat exam...15 is form 4 ent?
And what is this pay exam ting de principal talking about?
I thought so too . Look like he eh too young to mash up. Congratulations to the yute.

I write exam at 15.. Depends on how your birthday fall too cause I was 16 when I collect results. Also, if you get a skip in Primary School you would also end up being on the younger end of the class.

A lot of schools letting their smarter students write certain subjects at form 4, so if they pass them they can then concentrate on the rest of subjects in form 5, if they fail they still have a year to get them straight.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2010, 05:10:33 PM »
clear up a couple things for me

And what is this pay exam ting de principal talking about?
I thought so too . Look like he eh too young to mash up. Congratulations to the yute.

I write exam at 15.. Depends on how your birthday fall too cause I was 16 when I collect results. Also, if you get a skip in Primary School you would also end up being on the younger end of the class.

Ditto I was d youngest student in d class of 1985 of San Juan Govt Secondary.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline jahkingdom

• Strictly The Best
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2010, 10:51:48 PM »

if the same rule goes for the entire Caribbean , then he is not too young.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/westernnews/12-y-o-nets-CXC-success---again_7886611
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 10:55:49 PM by jahkingdom »
Hard work is the key to success

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2010, 01:18:09 AM »
in st mary's u can skip third form, so about 15%-20% of the students take cxc at 15, and a few would still be 14. To be honest, I eh sure why he in de papers, that kinda exam performance is very normal in cic.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2010, 07:30:33 PM »
Some more good news

This is not a story that typically comes out of Laventille.

That's why 16-year-old Chantelle Jacob wants the country to know that positive things do come out her community, one that is mostly regarded as a breeding ground for criminals and social illnesses.

The St Francois Girls' College pupil has done her family and community proud after conquering the 2010 Caribbean Secondary Examination Certificate (CSEC) exams with eight grade ones, five of which carried distinctions.

Speaking to the Sunday Express yesterday, Jacob insisted that there are many other young people in her community who refuse to be defined by the negative aspects of their environment.

"All people see coming out of Laventille is crime but there is more to the community," the soft-spoken pupil said.

"There are many other kids like me who are trying to make something of themselves.

"There are other children from Laventille at my school and it is no big deal. Nobody cares that we are from that area."

Jacob, who lives in Eastern Quarry, said it took her a year to settle in at school.

After starting off as a pupil with grades that fluctuated between Bs and Cs, she "got serious" and began to focus in class.

Her grades rose to As and by form four, she found herself drawn to the business subjects.

Jacob's passes came in Mathematics, English A, English B, Integrated Science, Principles of Accounts (POA), Principles of Business (POB), Spanish and Information Technology (IT).

IT presented a greater challenge as Jacob does not have a computer at home.

"I needed one to do my SBAs," she recalled.

"I had to stay back late many days and give up many lunch breaks and free periods to get them done. I even had to journey to my cousin in Arouca sometimes, to use her computer, because it involved a lot of typing and research. But I got it done."

When Jacob enters Form Six in the new school term in September, she will take on Management of Business (MOB), Accounts and Economics.

"I haven't decided yet what I want to do exactly but I'd like to get into finance, maybe become one of those 'financial experts'," she said.

Jacob believes that her daily prayers played a big part in her success."I believe that God helped me through this," she said.

"I didn't have a lot of extra lessons although a few of my teachers were very helpful.

"And I was ill the day before POB and on the day of the exam but I still managed a distinction. I have to thank God for that."

Although Jacob doesn't have many hobbies and tends to "stay inside", she does love to watch TV.

"I really like Grey's Anatomy and House," she revealed.

"I watch a lot of TV. But I pay attention in class and when it comes to exams, I study."

Her mother, Theresa Jacob, said the family is bursting at the seams with pride and she, too, wants to show the country that there are positive things happening in Laventille.

"Chantelle comes from a community where there were more odds against her," Theresa Jacob said.

"But she succeeded and others can too."

Chantelle said she would like to one day give back to her community, particularly to the cause of young people."I'd really like to be part of providing more recreation for the young people," she said.

"And to anyone who comes from similar backgrounds, who feels that success is impossible, I'd like to say that it's not where you come from, it's what you believe you can do.

"Do you best to prove people wrong and with God on your side, anything is possible."
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2010, 07:56:28 PM »
Good story for real Bourbon... I especially liked the part about travelling to Arouca to use the cousin's computer.  To me it underscores both her personal determination, as well as the support from extended family.  Hope cousin doing well in school as well, else tantie might feel ahow... yuh know how we Trinis stop when we ready.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2010, 01:49:14 PM »
Some more good news

This is not a story that typically comes out of Laventille.

That's why 16-year-old Chantelle Jacob wants the country to know that positive things do come out her community, one that is mostly regarded as a breeding ground for criminals and social illnesses.

The St Francois Girls' College pupil has done her family and community proud after conquering the 2010 Caribbean Secondary Examination Certificate (CSEC) exams with eight grade ones, five of which carried distinctions.

Speaking to the Sunday Express yesterday, Jacob insisted that there are many other young people in her community who refuse to be defined by the negative aspects of their environment.

"All people see coming out of Laventille is crime but there is more to the community," the soft-spoken pupil said.

"There are many other kids like me who are trying to make something of themselves.

"There are other children from Laventille at my school and it is no big deal. Nobody cares that we are from that area."

Jacob, who lives in Eastern Quarry, said it took her a year to settle in at school.

After starting off as a pupil with grades that fluctuated between Bs and Cs, she "got serious" and began to focus in class.

Her grades rose to As and by form four, she found herself drawn to the business subjects.

Jacob's passes came in Mathematics, English A, English B, Integrated Science, Principles of Accounts (POA), Principles of Business (POB), Spanish and Information Technology (IT).

IT presented a greater challenge as Jacob does not have a computer at home.

"I needed one to do my SBAs," she recalled.

"I had to stay back late many days and give up many lunch breaks and free periods to get them done. I even had to journey to my cousin in Arouca sometimes, to use her computer, because it involved a lot of typing and research. But I got it done."

When Jacob enters Form Six in the new school term in September, she will take on Management of Business (MOB), Accounts and Economics.

"I haven't decided yet what I want to do exactly but I'd like to get into finance, maybe become one of those 'financial experts'," she said.

Jacob believes that her daily prayers played a big part in her success."I believe that God helped me through this," she said.

"I didn't have a lot of extra lessons although a few of my teachers were very helpful.

"And I was ill the day before POB and on the day of the exam but I still managed a distinction. I have to thank God for that."

Although Jacob doesn't have many hobbies and tends to "stay inside", she does love to watch TV.

"I really like Grey's Anatomy and House," she revealed.

"I watch a lot of TV. But I pay attention in class and when it comes to exams, I study."

Her mother, Theresa Jacob, said the family is bursting at the seams with pride and she, too, wants to show the country that there are positive things happening in Laventille.

"Chantelle comes from a community where there were more odds against her," Theresa Jacob said.

"But she succeeded and others can too."

Chantelle said she would like to one day give back to her community, particularly to the cause of young people."I'd really like to be part of providing more recreation for the young people," she said.

"And to anyone who comes from similar backgrounds, who feels that success is impossible, I'd like to say that it's not where you come from, it's what you believe you can do.

"Do you best to prove people wrong and with God on your side, anything is possible."

Good post..thanks

AirMan

« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2010, 07:09:39 PM »
HIV Mom get new home

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7pUHW5pOcKk&amp;feature=player_embedded" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/7pUHW5pOcKk&amp;feature=player_embedded</a>

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Teens show true talent at Sanfest event
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2010, 02:14:19 AM »

Chairman of the San Fernando Creative Arts Centre, Torrance Mohammed, centre, poses with winners of the 2010 Mr and Miss Sanfest competition, Simeon Peters, left, and Tiana Chandler. Photos: Rishi Ragoonath

Fourteen talented teenagers conformed to the theme of this year’s Sanfest celebrations —The Arts: God’s Gift to Mankind.

But it was 18-year-old Tiana Chandler and 17-year-old Simeon Peters who found favour with the judges through song and dance at the Creative Arts Centre in San Fernando on October 16. The show formed part of the 40th annual San Fernando Arts Council, National Junior Arts Festival Committee (Sanfest). From the get go, the ambitious teens displayed a plethora of well-rehearsed and well-choreographed talents. Peters, of Pleasantville Secondary School, gave a soul-searching interpretation of an African-influenced dance, which was choreographed by school teacher Keiron Sargeant.

It was like an African inspirational, done in contemporary style, and it triumphed over the other presentations in the battle for the prestigious title. The Form Five student also won the best talent prize in the male category. The announcement that Chandler was the overall winner in the female category came as no surprise. The sixth form St Joseph’s Convent San Fernando student belted out the song made popular by the theatrical Phantom of the Opera, Think of Me.

Capturing second and third places, male, were Joey George and Shazard Ali, respectively. Shanna Taylor and Aaliea Gilding placed second and third, respectively, in the female category.

Source: http://guardian.co.tt/features/entertainment/2010/10/27/teens-show-true-talent-sanfest-event

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2010, 07:44:24 AM »
^^ Good post Jumbie

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Student with cerebral palsy defies challenges to earn degree at UWI
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2010, 06:09:04 AM »
'FEELS GOOD' Student with cerebral palsy defies challenges to earn degree at UWI
By Aabida Allaham

A 24-year-old girl with cerebral palsy has successfully overcome her physical challenges to graduate from the University of the West Indies (UWI) with a Bachelors of Science Degree.

Shamla Maharaj was diagnosed with the permanent physical condition seven months after birth but it did not stop her from driving herself across the stage set up at the UWI SPEC in St Augustine in her motorised wheelchair to collect her degree in Agribusiness Management yesterday.

The moment brought tears to mother's eyes, after all, she "stayed up with her for three years" and even lived with her at Milner Hall "because there are things she cannot do for herself".

"Oh gosh," her mother Chandra Maharaj said, "I am excited, happy, I feel proud...when she applied to come (to UWI), we didn't even think she would get through, we was not expecting anything, we just came because she wanted to, but then she get through and finished the degree in three years with everybody else".

Following the graduation ceremony, Maharaj said her daughter went through all the normal schooling procedures and "nothing special was done for".

In fact, Shamla is one of a handful of physically challenged people in Trinidad and Tobago who have successfully overcome the limitations associated with being physically disabled.

At the age of four, Shamla left her home in Barrackpore and attended the Princess Elizabeth Special School where she graduated as the Best Overall Student and was the automatic choice for valedictorian. She then attended Barrackpore Secondary Comprehensive School from 2000-2007 where she excelled at Mathematics, English, Geography, History, Sociology, Principles of Business and Principles of Accounts before going on to do the Cape "A" level exams in the areas of Geography, Sociology and History.

"While she was in primary school, teachers always gave her an A, when she went to the secondary school too, she always did well," Maharaj said.

Speaking to the Express, a shaking, yet smiling Shamla said, "I am just proud of being who I am and what I have accomplished, so it feels good".

Inundated with well-wishers, including former social development minister Dr Amery Browne, Shamla said she had already enrolled in the Masters Degree programme.

"When I finish that, I want to work, I want to definitely work and after some decent job experience I want to go on to my PhD, hopefully," she said.

Also receiving an honorary doctorate at yesterday's ceremony were Thomas Gatcliffe and the late Doddridge Alleyne.

Gatcliffe, a former businessman and chemist who held positions such as chairman of Angostura Ltd, Director of Caribbean Communications Network and Chairman of the Caribbean Association of Industry and Commerce, is also one of only six privileged people to know the secret formula of the world-famous Angostura Aromatic Bitters.

Alleyne, who recently passed away at the age of 83, gave 40 of those 83 years to the Public Service, serving as Permanent Secretary for the Ministry of Petroleum and Mines and the Ministry of Finance, Planning and Development.

Alleyne's service also extended to the United Nations when he served as Petroleum Adviser to the Government of Kenya from 1980-1982. He was inducted into the Queen's Royal College Hall of Honour in 2003 and received the Chaconia Gold Medal for long and Meritorious Service to Trinidad and Tobago.

Source: http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/_FEELS_GOOD_-106219238.html

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2010, 07:57:19 AM »
Really Good News there.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2010, 03:01:07 PM »
Really Good News there.

CO-SIGNNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2010, 03:25:07 PM »
The BIG MAN always work in mysterious ways!!!

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
She's Royal
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2011, 06:57:41 AM »
She's Royal
...paying tribute to Her Majesty, Calypso Rose

Address her as Her Majesty, the only woman to  be crowned King of Calypso, having in 1978 won the coveted National Calypso King title, singing Her Majesty and I Thank Thee. From the following year, because of Calypso Rose’s historical accomplishment, the title was renamed the National Calypso Monarch. It would take 21 years before another woman would claim the calypso monarchy, and during that time Rose would move on to become the most respected and celebrated female calypsonian the world over. We should note here that in 1977 Rose became the first female Road March Monarch,  singing Tempo—a title another woman would not win until 1999, the same year Rose’s longstanding calypso monarch record was broken.

Rose, however, remains the breakthrough female calypsonian who paved the way and created opportunities for the many successful women calypsonians and soca artistes not only in Trinidad, but around the world since 1977. Honoured by world leaders and multiple nations for her contributions to the calypso art form and music on the whole, Rose continues to blaze trails taking calypso music to diverse places. Rose has done T&T proud by her music, through her lifestyle and with her many accomplishments out of studio and off stage.  Rose, the calypso queen of the world, is truly and absolutely royalty, and Randy Glasgow Productions will pay tribute to Calypso Rose this year.

On February 18, she will be presented with the inaugural She’s Royal Award during the 2011 edition of the Ladies Night Out show. Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar and Minister of Multiculturalism, Winston “Gypsy” Peters have been invited to to personally present the award. In 2010, Rose celebrated her 70th birthday, and was honoured by the people and Government of France during the month of July. Also in 2010 a feature-length documentary exploring Rose’s life and career was produced by world renowned African filmmaker, Pascale Obolo. This film is being distributed globally. Other tributes and accolades bestowed upon Rose over the years include the Hummingbird Medal Gold, presented by the Government of Trinidad and Tobago for her contributions to culture. The Government of Belize made Rose an honorary citizen in 1982, and the Smithsonian Institute named her the world’s top female calypsonian.  She was paid tribute to in New York, Atlanta, Toronto and other places, in some cases on more than one occasion.

About Calypso Rose
Born McCartha Lewis on April 27, 1940, in Bethel, Tobago, Rose was brought to Trinidad when she was nine years old by an aunt and uncle, who wanted to assist her parents who had several children and were experiencing financial difficulties in caring for all of them. Rose was enrolled in the San Juan Government School where she joined the choir and stood out as a soloist. After finishing school, she began working at a factory, before moving on to serve as a nanny for a Chinese family in Woodbrook.

Having begun singing and composing calypso as a child, Rose finally decided to dive headlong into the calypso arena, which created problems with her family who believed that calypso was sacrilege. Rose, however, stood her ground and forged ahead using the moniker, Crusoe Kid. Spoiler and other calypsonians urged her to change her sobriquet to Calypso Rose, meaning, Mother of all Flowers.

Even before winning the 1977 Road March title, Rose scored an international hit when she recorded Fire In Meh Wire in 1967, and almost beat Kitchener out for the Road March title in 1968 with that song. Rose again challenged Kitchener for the title in 1975 with Do Them Back, recorded shortly after she migrated to New York, where she eventually became an auxiliary police officer, and later a qualified criminologist. To date Rose has composed in excess of 800 songs and continues to write not only calypsoes, but also gospel, reggae, jazz, punta and even folk songs.

She won a hard-fought battle against cancer during the 1990s, and in 2008, after having spent several days in the ICU unit of a New York hospital where she had undergone surgery to have a mass removed from her stomach, Rose was on stage in Trinidad kicking up her heels in true Rose fashion. Calypso Rose is in no way withering and we expect she will continue to be fresh and exciting for years to come.

Source: http://www.guardian.co.tt/beta/lifestyle/2011/01/09/shes-royal

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2011, 11:47:47 AM »
Nice to see my old school making positive news and more importantly students doing so well.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2011, 11:50:59 AM »
Nice to see my old school making positive news and more importantly students doing so well.

U went San Juan Gov't Sec?

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T lift CT20 title
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2011, 10:11:33 AM »
T&T lift CT20 title Champs overcome Ganga's absence

Trinidad and Tobago overcame their inspirational captain Daren Ganga being sidelined with a hand injury to be crowned the new Caribbean Twenty20 champions, following a resounding 36-run victory over Hampshire on Sunday night.

Ganga was a non-starter after he suffered a split "webbing" on his left hand during Saturday's second semi-final against Jamaica.

But the Red Force, as they now call themselves, bowled with discipline to follow-up gutsy batting and limited Hampshire to 111 for eight, after they set the English Twenty20 champions 148 for victory in the Grand Final at Kensington Oval.

Jason Mohammed was the pick of the T&T bowlers, with two wickets for six runs from 2.1 overs, and Kevon Cooper captured two for 15 from 3.5 overs.

This is the second time that Trinidad and Tobago can call themselves T20 champions of the Caribbean, following their capture of the 2008 Stanford T20 Cup, which was the forerunner for this West Indies Cricket Board official tournament.

They will be the region's representative in India later this year, when all the best T20 sides from the leading cricket nations meet for the Champions League Twenty20.

Darren Bravo had led the way for T&T with 41 from 28 balls, which earned him the Man-of-the-Match award, and Lendl Simmons, later named the tournament's Most Valuable Player, supported with 31.

But it was left to stand-in captain Denesh Ramdin with an enterprising 33 from 19 balls to beef up Trinidad and Tobago's total to 147 for seven from their 20 overs, after they seemed to lose their way in the closing stages.

The new-ball pair of Ravi Rampaul and leg-spinner Samuel Badree then gave T&T a desirable start, with a maiden followed by the early wicket of Johannes Myburgh, Hampshire's most prolific batsman, bowled for a second-ball duck, respectively.

Trinidad and Tobago never panicked, not even when Vince and Hampshire captain Jimmy Adams comfortably added 38 for the second wicket.

Mohammed was asked to complete Cooper's second over, when the medium-fast bowler left the field with a dislocated finger, and he made the breakthrough, when he deceived Vince with the flight and bowled him for 23 with the final ball of the seventh over.

Adrian Barath had dropped Adams off Cooper, but he made up for the miss when he ran out the Hampshire captain for 16 in the ninth over to leave them needing another 106 from 70 balls.

T&T continued to take wickets at regular intervals and never allowed the remaining Hampshire batsmen to build any momentum to seriously challenge the target–with Benny Howell making the top score of 28 not out.

Earlier, Trinidad and Tobago suffered an immediate setback, after choosing to bat, when Barath was caught at long-on for two in the first over.

But Bravo strode to the crease and started to take apart the Hampshire bowling with a volley of strokes that brought him five fours and two sixes and had the crowd on its feet.

He and Simmons put T&T back on track with a stand of 77 for the second wicket, but they ran into trouble when they slipped to 120 for six in the 18th over.

Ramdin's batting has deteriorated significantly over the last year to the extent that he has lost his place in the West Indies side, but he dug deep to help Trinidad and Tobago raise 27 from the last two overs to put the match out of Hampshire's reach.

Source: http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/T_T_lift_CT20_title_Champs_overcome_Ganga_s_absence-114526554.html

Note: Had to post this to show our leaders that teamwork can be rewarding. Stop dividing the blasted country!

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Turning farming around.
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2011, 06:42:23 AM »
Cocoa farmers are expecting an increased harvest of the product this year.

Making strides in the industry, farmers in Tobago benefitted from two fermentary boxes which processed 750 kilograms while adhering to the highest quality and standards set forth by the Cocoa and Coffee Industry of Trinidad and Tobago.

President of the Agricultural Society of Trinidad and Tobago, Dhano Sookoo said that ASTT worked with 23 cocoa farmers associations and distributed cocoa tools to assist in pruning the trees on estates scattered across the country.

In addition, ASTT in collaboration with the Association of Professional Beekeepers supplied 63 starter colonies at a cost of $18,900.

"Production of honey has begun and the investment is now valued at $157,500," she said.

In her end of the year report delivered at Centre Pointe Mall conference hall, Chaguanas last month, Sookoo said that, last year, irrigation for farmers was a top priority.

"Seventeen farmers crossings were built in partnership with the Estate Management and Business Development company to allow water to flow into the major water channel, feeding the Felicity Food Crop project," she said adding that farmers in Kernaham Village in Mayaro also received similar water crossings for the irrigation of their vegetable crops.

She said that last year farmers experienced severe drought which resulted in a decline in production.

"We were able to assist farmers at Plum Mitan by providing a six-inch water pump, with a capacity of 1000 gallons per minute pumping water from the Jhagruma Line into the main channels to the food crop area", she said.

She said that through the irrigation initiative, over 500 acres of food crops in the Plum Mitan, and over 5 million pounds of sweet potatoes in Felicity were saved.

ASTT was also at the forefront of the rehabilitation of 500 kilometres of agricultural access roads in Mamoral, Tabaquite, Erin, Palo Seco, Tableland, Moruga, Felicity, Cedros, Oropouche, Mon Desir and other areas south of the Caroni River, she said.

Sookoo said that last year, the association distributed 4,983 citrus plants to 13 Farmers' Associations at a subsidised rate of $10 each.

In the livestock industry, the ASTT goat and sheep "Rearing and Sharing" programme, suffered financial setback, she said. She said that the industry was able to weather the storm and move into Phase Two where six offspring were distributed to farmers in Tobago.

"A total of 24 offspring from 33 goats, and 2 Dorper lambs from the 4 sheep were given out to farmers," she said adding that 92 per cent of the females imported in the project gave birth.

She said that genetic material must be introduced and the necessary support systems provided to livestock farmers.

Completing her third year as president of the association, Sookoo said that 41 farmers were trained in tilapia production bringing the total to 108 farmers and the establishment of seven new tilapia farms. In root crop production 435 farmers received training and 12,000 sweet potato cuttings and 25,000 cassava cuttings were distributed, she said.

She was re-elected president of ASTT and said that she planned to continue to aid farmers in the production of food crops. The ASTT's vice president is jenson Alexander. The cocoa representatives are Roger Lashley, Ethan Benjamin, Juman Mohammed, Mahadeo Rambharose, Leon Granger, Elizabeth Mohammed Ali, Samuel Baptiste and Krishendath Sooknanan.

The sugar representatives are Khemraj Singh, Lawrence Lalla, Dhanmatie Singh, Nawaz Karim, John Ribero, Krishna Balgobin, Dalchan Singh, and Hansraj Ramlal. Other represntatvies are management services - Reeza Feeraz Khan, livestock - Cheryl Roach Benn, youth training services - Anderson Sam, root crops - Ramdeo Boondoo, education - Richard Sankar, rice - Richard Singh, rabbit production - Milton Algernon.

President of the Tobago District Agricultural Society, Orwin Dillon will attend all meetings of the board.

By By Ariti Jankie South Bureau

Source: http://www.trinidadexpress.com/business-magazine/Turning_farming_around-116283084.html

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2011, 09:38:58 AM »
Trini boy, 8, stars in Japanese film

A Japanese television production crew is now in Trinidad filming the life story of a young San Fernando boy for a television programme called Future Stars. The show is to be aired around the world. The lucky youngster is eight-year-old Ojah Bisnath who achieved the world record of being the youngest moko jumbie when he was just 11 months old. At that time he was walking on four-inch stilts. Today, young Ojah is proficient on four-foot stilts. The youngest son of Junior and Victoria Bisnath, Ojah was selected as one of the future stars, based on his natural and acquired skills in various disciplines.

In addition to being a moko jumbie, Ojah also plays the pan and drums, rides a unicycle and does woodwork in his father’s workshop. The Japanese television company crew, comprising cameraman Yasusu Nozaki and CEO of the television production company, Asako Solis, began filming at the youngster’s home at the corner of Henry and Brown streets, San Fernando, yesterday. The filming will continue over the weekend, as Ojah takes in a series of Emancipation activities, which began yesterday and will end at Palms Club tomorrow.  Hideyo Morimoto, a co-ordinator with the Trinidad and Tobago/Japanese Exchange Company, introduced Ojah to the television station.

Morimoto said Asako contacted her and asked about featuring talented children around the world.
Morimoto said she recommended Ojah and another young man who plays pan with Pamberi, and Solis decided to come to Trinidad to do the research. Proud father Junior Bisnath, a cultural activist, said he was honoured. “We have so many talented children in this country and for my son to be one of two children chosen for a movie, it is something for any parent to feel proud of,” he said. Bisnath, who also operates Kaisoca Moko Jumbie School, said he was particularly proud that the Japanese crew chose pan and the moko jumbie over so many other aspects of T&T culture.

Source: http://www2.guardian.co.tt/entertainment/2011/07/23/trini-boy-8-stars-japanese-film

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2011, 07:51:15 AM »
Young pannists shoot to stardom.

Last Sunday’s musical presentation featuring reigning Under-21 National Junior Panorama champions Success Stars Pan Sounds held at Queen’s Hall, St Ann’s, Port-of-Spain, was not just another pan show; it was a scintillating music event. Ideally titled Beyond the Stars, the production, conceived by officials of the youth steel orchestra,  was a clear reminder of why the band proudly held the title of champion, but more significantly, it underscored the fact that steelpan music has real vibes. The artistically gifted Morvant/ Laventille youths accurately communicated this having found their comfort zone while in the spotlight and delivered superb entertainment to lusty applause and fervent cheers.

Brilliantly played caressing notes on steel filled the ears of the small, attentive, but no doubt lively audience from the young and dynamic cast. They showcased a repertoire rich with present-day chart-topping pop and soca music hits, as well as other genres current and past from international entertainers such as Bruno Mars, Jackson Five, Whitney Houston, Handel Messiah, and the Original De Fosto (Winston Scarborough). The turnout failed to dampen the spirit of these young entertainers under the music direction of Mickiel Gabriel, Gerelle Forbes and guest conductor Marcus Ash. The pannists, along with their musical friends were fiery during their respective spotlight appearances at the concert that was made for television.

The line-up of guest artistes included steelpan soloist Noel La Pierre, the University of the West Indies Ensemble, St Margaret’s Boys Steel Orchestra, Explainer (Winston Henry) and the Prizgar Land Folk Performers all of whom contributed nicely to sustaining the programme’s integrity. Gabriel, speaking through the programme’s foreword, noted the fact that since he was asked to revive the band—starting with its appearance and ultimate victory at the Sanfest competition in the Pan Ensemble category in 2010, to this year’s National Junior Panorama win—there had been a general improvement in the grades of students.

Forbes, on the other hand, drove home the point that pannists with Success Stars Pan Sounds had an innate thirst for music knowledge complemented by a desire to experience the various facets of the performing world, too. She said: “What more can teachers ask for, as it makes the process easier. What I love the most about this bunch are their individual personalities and the band’s unity personality.” Success Stars Pan Sounds gave the audience a lot more than just its penchant for music excellence and showmanship.

Patrons experienced the love that abounds within the band when tenor pan section leader Brenton Joseph was presented with a cake for his 15th birthday. Citing that the concert was held on the day of his birth, and in lieu that he had to sacrifice all other activities due to the demands of the concert, the band celebrated him publicly. Joseph was unclear what to do when the announcement was made. He blushed at first, and then placed the palms of his hands over his face in an effort to hide his expression, before stepping from behind his trademark instrument to receive his gift from band percussionist and national volleyball athlete Akim Bushe.

The audience erupted in laughter to Joseph’s initial reaction and applauded the open display of affection. There is no doubt that Beyond the Stars saw pannists attached to Success Stars Pan Sounds take the steelband music concert experience to another exciting level which undoubtedly left those privileged to receive the well thought of offerings mesmerised. But with all that quality music-making, there is a question that begs an answer from the band. Were members covertly taking dance lessons at Denise “Saucy Wow” Belfon’s “wining university” leading up to the show or were they demonstrating a natural Trinbagonian response to sweet pulsating soca music?

Well, either way the band sent the audience into a state of frenzy while executing spicy dance moves during a soca medley that included David Rudder’s Oil and Music; Chris Garcia’s Chutney Bacchanal, Stalin’s (Dr Leroy Calliste) Party and Benjai’s (Rodney Le Blanc) Trini. Concert sponsors should take comfort in knowing that their investment in these youths was not in vein, citing that the presentation which was not oversubscribed, was held to raise funds towards the purchase of new instruments.

Source: http://www.guardian.co.tt/entertainment/2011/08/28/young-pannists-shoot-stardom

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2011, 01:10:19 AM »
good to still know positives coming out this country

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Youths keep parang alive
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2011, 08:12:39 AM »
Parang will not die with the older generation but will remain alive with the youths of today. That was the message delivered by Servol’s Programme co-ordinator David Jankey as he addressed a roomful of students at Servol’s Central/East zone Parang Festival on November 25 at the People of Praise Hall, Arima. Jankey said the purpose of the festival was to preserve the culture of parang in the minds and hearts of students.

It was a day of fun, laughter and music as the students of Servol Central-East Zone served up a banquet of talent during their parang festival, titled Ole’. It included performances from five of Servol’s centres, as well as a performance from the school’s external Adolescent development Programme in the Youth Training Centre (YTC).

Servol instructors go to YTC to train students in life skills in an attempt to rehabilitate them and keep them grounded in society. The festivities opened with a rendition of the Parang Now Start, quickly followed by a version of the 12 Days of Christmas, that had the audience laughing as it featured items like six single dollars and a fully loaded BMW vehicle.

Students and instructors collaborated to present fun, interactive performances, one of the highlights being a slightly controversial yet highly amusing skit based on the Ian Alleyne hosted talk show Crime Watch. Another highlight to the festival was the performance by Servol’s Chaguanas Centre, which stood out purely because of the absolute talents of the singers.

When one of the students, Renee Martin began singing, it was almost as if parang legend Daisy Voisin had resurrected. According to assistant programme co-ordinator, Gillian Johnson, the trainees at the various centres were usually young people filled with talent but lacking in opportunities, and so activities like the Parang Festival gave them a platform to show off their skills while having fun.

Source: http://www.guardian.co.tt/entertainment/2011/12/13/youths-keep-parang-alive

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This One Had Me Smiling This Morning.
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2011, 07:49:28 AM »
With all the disregard for life we've seen over the past few years in trinidad and Tobago, this was uplifting to read.

Anthony Stapleton was hailed a hero yesterday after he jumped into the murky waters of a swollen East Dry River, Port-of-Spain, to save a woman. Coincidentally, Stapleton, 48, became homeless the night before when the apartment he was renting at Beverly Hills, Laventille, was firebombed. He walked down to the shelter for the socially displaced at the Nipdec car park, Old St Joseph Road, Port-of-Spain, on Wednesday night, where he stayed.

Homeless, divorced and with no money, he said he saw any human life as valuable. Stapleton, with only the clothing on his back, said he did not think when he jumped into the water to save the life of 21-year-old Giselle Myers Alexander.  Alexander, who also is homeless, was asleep under the bridge when she was swept away.

After seeing Alexander tumbling over in the water and fighting for her life, Stapleton jumped in and dragged her to safety. Trying to catch his breath, hungry and dripping wet, Stapleton, who suffers from diabetes, praised Allah. He said: “It was a life. I could have been dead in that fire last night... He (Allah) saved me last night. “I guess God saved me for a purpose and I guess this was the purpose.

“I get my blessings from Allah. I heard people saying she was in the water. It is a life and I just jumped in after her.”  Stapleton said he was hoping for Government intervention in getting a home of his own. He said: “Everything I own is gone and all I have is what is on my back. “Yes, I would like to get a home again... Yes, please, please. I came to live there (in Beverly Hills) a month now.

He added: “I just got divorced and was trying to rebuild myself but now I am homeless again. “I saw her rolling up-and-down and I told her to hold on to something. Now I have to take my insulin... I didn’t even eat.”  Alexander was taken to the back of a pick-up truck where she was treated by EHS personnel. “I was asleep under the bridge,” was all Alexander said could say, before complaining of pains. She suffered bruises to the head, arms and legs.

Police Supt Carlton Alleyne, who was at the scene, said Stapleton was a “hero and brave” for saving Alexander. He said: “It was really heroic and brave. We heard the commotion and saw the body coming down in the water and we came across the road. “They used to sleep under the bridge and the water came rushing down and picked her up.”

Source: http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2011/12/16/hero-rescues-woman-raging-dry-river

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Disabled athlete wins Express Individual of the Year award
« Reply #85 on: December 31, 2011, 10:59:08 PM »
SHANNTOL SHINES
Disabled athlete wins Express Individual of the Year award
By Sue-Ann Wayow

When national swimmer Shanntol Ince represents Trinidad and Tobago at this year's Paralympic Games in London, England, she will have little to prove.

That's because Shanntol has already won the hearts of her people.

Citizens showed their love and appreciation of the teenager's achievements by helping to vote her the Express Individual of the Year 2011.

Readers were allowed to help chose the winner. Voting took place via text messaging and the final selection was made by a panel of judges.

Shanntol's competitors for this year's award were sprinter Kelly-Ann Baptiste who was named Best Female Athlete of the Year at the Ministry of Sport Spirit of Sports awards and reigning Soca Monarch and Road March King Machel Montano.

Last year's winner was Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar.

Shanntol, 17, created history by becoming the country's first Paralympic athlete to compete at last year's Commonwealth Games in New Delhi, India and is looking forward to representing the country again at the games in August. She captured bronze medals at the Parapan Games held in Guadalajara, Mexico in November of last year, in the 100m backstroke and 100m freestyle.

When told of her achievement yesterday by the Sunday Express, Shanntol shouted with joy.

She said she was honoured to have been chosen and she thanked all those who supported her, including her parents St Paul Ince and Tracy James-Ince.

"I am very excited really. I am thankful to the Lord Jesus Christ, to the church, to all my aunts and uncles and to the whole of Trinidad and Tobago for giving me the opportunity to become Express Individual of the Year.'

"My mom supports me very much. She carries me to training every day and I know it is a bit difficult with her hectic schedule and dad, he is always giving me speeches and stuff."

Shanntol, who was born with her right leg significantly shorter than her left, said her disability never discouraged her from doing what she wanted to do.

She was introduced to swimming at the age of four while attending kindergarten and she never stopped practising.

The fifth form pupil of the Gasparillo Secondary School thanked her first coach Neil Daniel and her current coach Ralph Linky.

Her father said, "When everyone was looking at her disability, he (Daniel) believed in her and told her 'I could teach a fish to swim'. He took her under his care and taught her for a while and then he introduced her to another swimming club."

On Friday, when the Sunday Express visited her home at Claxton Bay, Shanntol was just returning from a swimming session with the Petrotrin Barracudas Swim Club.

Shanntol trains for two hours, six days a week, yet still finds time to study for her upcoming CXC examinations next year.

She also never misses a youth group meeting held on Fridays at the Claxton Bay Open Bible Church.

She said there were many sacrifices she had to make but one of her main goals was practising for next year's competition in London.

She hopes to get distinctions in her CXC examinations and is looking forward to continuing her studies.

About his eldest daughter, Ince said: "She is very humble. She likes to stay in the background and be happy for everybody. I try to teach her good morals and to be consistent and to keep pressing forward."

He said sometimes he felt discouraged but he never gave up on her.

Ince, a fabricator and builder, said it was tough providing for his family and especially Shanntol financially but he was proud of her achievements and hoped that she can be more successful than she already is.

Shanntol is the eldest of five children.

Obadyah, 11; Yehezke, eight; and twins Sarai and Shalom, two, all look up to her and want to be like her, said Ince .

Shanntol said, "It gives me great responsibility and it pushes me a bit harder. I have to raise the bar so they could have greater things than I can."

Ince said he was happy that she was finally being recognised for her achievements.

"Even though she was excelling she was not being recognised. And she has been competing against some of the top swimmers. It is only last year that that people are getting to know about her and we are happy because of that."

Earlier this year, Shanntol was chosen along with five other people to be ambassadors in the Ministry of the People and Social Development Disability Programme.

Dr Glenn Ramadharsingh, Social Development Minister, said the individuals chosen will act as spokespersons for people with disabilities.

Shanntol is studying sciences because she loves to help people especially those who are disabled like herself, she said.

She hopes to one day become an orthopaedic surgeon or a practitioner of occupational therapy.

Her new year's resolutions are to study and train more.

"I have to make an official time table and follow through with it. I also have to train smarter. I have to think about what could improve, how I could improve techniques and do what the coach says."

She advises others, "Don't give up on anything that you are doing. In life there will be different struggles and they will not last forever. You just need to keep trying to better yourself and trust in God."

source: http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/SHANNTOL_SHINES-136491498.html

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2012, 10:27:55 AM »
Loving the vibe and energy of this young men and women.

http://youtu.be/DNGEDg_v0y0

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2012, 02:15:08 PM »
This is a really nice article, have to say it's articles like this that makes me want to visit trinidad and check out some of these places. trinidad has a lot of untold history, that makes for some nice historical tourism.

ENTRANCE: The Gordon Square Park in Mayo. —Photos: LOUIS B HOMER
Tools

Email this article
    Print this article

Gallery

Corn gives Mayo its name
By Louis B Homer South Bureau

Story Created: Apr 15, 2012 at 10:52 PM ECT

Story Updated: Apr 15, 2012 at 10:52 PM ECT

MAYO, a village in the Central Range, has recently been in the news for all the wrong reasons — protests by residents over bad roads and water shortages, and protests by striking Trinidad Cement Ltd (TCL) workers at the company's facilities in the area.

Mayo was once a part of the Catholic Mission called "La Mission de Montserrat". It was at various times the home of native Amerindians, runaway African slaves, Spanish peons and French planters.

Cocoa and coffee were planted in the valleys, but in 1974 large acreages were destroyed by Hurricane Alma.

Large plantations still exist, and a fine example of local cocoa industry can be experienced with a drive through a bumpy road known as the Tortuga Short Cut.

The original village was built around Gordon Square, named after Governor Sir Hamilton Gordon (1866-1870) with an imposing Catholic church which became a landmark since 1881 when it was built by Fr Dupoux.

Most residents regarded it as the centre of community life.

Sinanan Jhaghai, 86, one of the oldest residents, said, "The modern structure is patterned along its sister church at Tortuga. It cost the parish a lot of money to build and we are still holding bazaars and functions to pay off the debt. One of the big fund-raisers will be the church's annual harvest, to be held on April 22. People from many parts of Trinidad attend the harvest and enjoy themselves in the historic square."

Jhaghai described Mayo as a city of the past.

"We had Carnival here before Port of Spain. We even had horse racing. The centre of the village was a plateau with Palmiste trees. There were wells and brooks with pure water all around. We had a waterfall that has dried up. From the plateau, the village sloped downwards for hundreds of feet into wooded fields of cedar and other timber. Palmiste trees grew everywhere. Most of the trees have either died or been destroyed, leaving only the name "Palm Street" as a memory of the past."

The names of persons responsible for developing the village have been preserved — Violin, Du Boulay, Farfan, Libert, Marie Conception, Mitchell and Perry Wing are the main streets.

"The buildings were mostly wood and tapia and most of the people spoke patois and Hindi," said Jhaghai.

The public cemetery on the south-eastern end of the village had its origin when scores of African slaves were buried there after Emancipation. Among the early Africans who settled at Mayo when slavery was abolished in 1838 were Mandingos, Yorubas, Homas and Ashanti Congos. Some of them were runaway slaves from the estates.

The village has a rich history of African culture and traditions. Dr JD Elder, an anthropologist who carried out research in the area, wrote in 1969, "To this rich river valley (Montserrat), the planters came and established in the time of Sir Ralph Woodford (1813-1829) and Sir Hamilton Gordon numerous sugar plantations utilising the drier slopes and flatter uplands. In the valley is the centre cacao plantations. To the sugar plantations, the Negroes were brought as slaves, the grandparents and great-grand parents of people of African descent occupied the Montserrat villages."

Elder described the village as a region rich with Amerindian kitchen middens which was excavated by archaeologists working in the area as late as 1797.

He wrote, "On one of the house sites on Congo Hill at Mayo, several thunder stones (neolithic cults) belonging to a famous Congo magician were found. The Hausa people at Mayo read from the Koran and they spoke an Arabic dialect and sang songs about Allah."

Elder gave an account of how the head of a large Yoruba family at Mayo cured his grandchild who was stricken down by a man while playing in the yard. According to Elder, the story told to him was as follows.

"I was playing with other children in the school yard when I saw a man coming up to me. I shouted to the other children, but they said they saw nobody. The other children ran away. I do not remember anything until I found myself in my grandmother's house. Grandpa told me not to be afraid. He said it was a spirit. He then lifted me and took me to his shrine. He made an offering to the power. He then took a sharp thing and marked me on the right hand. I did not bleed very much. From that day, nothing like that ever happened to me again."

The yellow limestone quarry at Mayo is operated by TCL. Ever since the company began production of cement in 1954, raw material has been supplied to the factory from its limestone quarry at Mayo.

Initially, the raw material was transported from the quarry to the factory at Claxton Bay by transporting the material in large metal buckets attached to cables. The system was modernised later by converting the raw material into a clinker and transporting it to the factory through large pipes.

The village also harvests vegetables and fresh fruits.

In the past, a fair amount of corn was planted on the hillsides. It was the growth of corn that is believed responsible for naming the village Mayo. Maize or mayo was the main crop in the village at the time it was founded.

Historians believe the name came about from a Yoruba version of the Amerindian word for corn. "Mayo" in the Yoruba language means corn.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 02:28:29 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2012, 05:53:20 AM »
Kindhearted Helen Hypolite

When an ardent reader contacted us to sing praises about the kind security guard at the Port of Spain General Hospital who was a Godsend to the aged patients waiting for prescriptions, we just had to find out why her actions warranted such praise; what made her different from other women but most of all what made her a real woman. This week Real Women, Real Stories goes to the hospital to chat with security guard Helen Hypolite. We observe her strategies and tactics in maintaining order in a challenging environment and we get a summary of her own life challenges and successes.

By Lorraine Waldropt-Ferguson

Helen Hypolite stands majestically in her security guard uniform outside the dispensary of the Port-of-Spain General Hospital. Within 15 minutes I swear I have seen more than 100 people approach her for information. "Ms Lady, I come to collect meh tablets, you could help?" says an old woman. "Tantie, it's just through that door, thank you. Here take this number, you want me to help you with the door?" asks Hypolite. The old woman nods her head and continues through the door. "Excuse, do I go through this door to get to the pharmacy?" inquires a young woman with curly hair. "Yes, ma'am, here, take this number, thank you," the short custodian answers once more. Soon, a tall man with a rude-boy swagger comes up to Hypolite and pipes, "What is de scene meh girl? I have to take a number first or I could just go in so for my tablets?" "Yes you have to take a number first and then you proceed through that door, thank you!" He peeps into the infirmary and lets out a gasp. "But what de…Real people in dey! I cyah wait on all ah them. I here since morning and cyah get my tablets, nah man I cyah believe this!" "Mr you will have to wait your turn if you don't want to wait with the crowd inside you could always wait outside here, thank you!" she states firmly.

Some more people approach her and then it's my turn. She thinks that I am here for my medication as well. "You can have this number but let me see if inside there full…" I cut her off, informing her that she is a candidate for Real Women, Real Stories, nominated by an observer who visited the hospital and was impressed by her well-mannered, diplomatic and helpful demeanour.

"Nah man, you serious?" she responds smiling from ear to ear. Her mood changes from pleasant to pleasantly surprised. "Wait nah, you not joking. Way, you mean to say I will be on papers?" I nod in approval as she holds onto the hospital wall to catch her breath. Meanwhile five people are waiting on numbers and after she distributes her "dispensary tickets" and gives directions, she settles down and we have our talk.

"Girl what you really want to know bout me? Lemme see I in security work five years now. I working in the hospital since last year October but I used to work security in TSTT and other places before. I real like security work because I like to interact with people. I was always a people person," she explains. "In the few minutes that I was observing, I realised that the place real busy with people, does anybody behave ignorantly or get out of hand, I ask?"

"Yes of course", she answers.

"This is the Port-of-Spain General Hospital you know! But as a trained security guard I have my strategy," she says. Her explanation is enlightening. "Some people come in here and they always in a hurry, they always busy and have somewhere 'better' to go. I give them the facts of their wait and leave it up to them whether they want to go through the normal procedure or not. It's not my fault they are late to wherever they are going but I don't treat them roughly. Some of them are desperate. They sick and could barely stand up to wait in line. Some of them are old and others are disabled. I always try my best to reach out to these people even beyond the call of duty which gets the impatient 'strong' people vex. Sometimes I might even volunteer to stand in line and get their medication for them depending on their condition. And then there are the ones who want to fight and get on disorderly. All the nice I nice I doh take stupidness from them. I don't use violence though, I just speak to them firmly and if the situation gets out ah hand I call for back up!"

"Good day loving, I want some help to get my tablets please," a woman who appeared to be in her 50s interrupts. "Gimme me a minute eh," Hypolite says to me and then turns to the lady—"Ms Lady you alright? You come from the ward? You want me to help you get it?"

"Yes I come from the ward and the help would be nice," the lady answers pitifully. But as Hypolite takes her prescription and looks at her form she realises that it was all a lie, the lady was not warded and used this white lie to get sympathy and quick pills. "Hmmm, you try one on me, just take this number and go into that door, thank you," Hypolite directs but she doesn't get angry.

"Oh yeah I forget to mention that set of hospital people, the ones who lie and use your soft heart to get what they want but it have a God above!" she exclaims.

"Where are you from and how long do you work daily," I quiz the 48-year-old. "I am from Arima and I work the 24 hour shift. I know you watching the shift as a killer but my body get accustom to it. I like to work; when I not working, I either watching movies or crocheting. I love to crotchet. I make doilies you know and other things for sale," she declares.

Then her happy mood suddenly gets sad and despondent. "Yes girl crocheting gets my mind off the stress of what I pass through in the past. Prayer does help too." She then puts her cards on the table blunt and straight- "You heard bout the pensioner from Grande who was murdered two years ago? That was my mother you know. They say it was robbery. Three years before my son was gunned down but he use to keep bad company and nine years ago I reach home from work and couldn't find my daughter.

"When I started the search I found her dead body in a canal in the back yard. Girl, I pass through real thing yes, real things. Now I down to just four children and five grandchildren, children and no mother. But I surviving I never let the tragedies steal my joy. I still smiling. I working hard and spending quality time with my surviving family and that is what counts"

The security guard with hair-raising back story of lost ones then smiles once more and admits "I like peace not war. We living in the days of crime where everybody fighting. Since I small I like to part fight. I am a peaceful person that is why I couldn't understand why people kill my relatives so but anyway, whenever I ask the question, 'why me', a voice answers- 'Why not you?' I think God have a plan for me and that is what giving me a reason to live," she says optimistically.

I shake my head amicably, admiring Hypolite's strength and optimism but my thoughts are interrupted as a drove of people walk hurriedly towards the dispensary. It's almost 7.30 in the night and I can't believe the crowds that still enter the Port-of-Spain General Hospital. Hypolite realises that she must curtail her interview as work beckons, and I agree.

In parting ways she looks my way and concludes – "Life is a blessed thing, if we really dwell on hardships we may never truly live. My rule is live yuh life yes and of course help others live too."

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/woman-magazine/Kindhearted_Helen_Hypolite-161649255.html
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2013, 09:00:38 AM »
Trini girl breaks ground in field of astrophysics
Trinidad Guardian
Tuesday, April 2, 2013
Charles Kong Soo

Trinidad-born Alexandra Amon has boldly gone where few women have gone before, crossing one of the final frontiers of a male-dominated field. The 21-year-old Maraval native, who won a national open scholarship in 2009 at her alma mater, St Joseph’s Convent, Port-of- Spain, is now pursuing her Masters in Astrophysics at the University of Edinburgh, Scotland.

Speaking with the T&T Guardian in a telephone interview yesterday, Amon described how her interest in astrophysics developed, even while she was at secondary school. “I really enjoyed Physics and Mathematics when I was in St Joseph’s,” she said. “One of my teachers told me about a Physics summer camp, Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Waterloo, Canada, and she told me to apply. “I did and was accepted and they paid for all my expenses to go to the theoretical research school for physics. “I went there and fell in love with it and decided that that was what I wanted to do.”

One of her inspirations in the field is Particle Physics professor Peter Higgs, who last year discovered a new particle, named the Higgs-Boson in his honour. Scientists believe the new particle played a vital role in the formation of the universe and of human life, giving mass to matter. Amon said she met Higgs at Edinburgh University where he used to teach. Amon said there were very few female astrophysicists at her university programme where the ratio was one female to every ten males.

She also did not know of any Caribbean astrophysicists. Amon’s older sister, Diva, a deep-sea biologist, has already made significant impact beyond our shores. She was part of a team that made an historic discovery recently of a whale skeleton on the ocean floor near Antarctica. It was significant that both of them were involved in careers that were not traditional in T&T and her field in particular was not common among females.

She said she hoped her example would lead others to explore different options. When asked what words of encouragement she had to give to parents if their children wanted to follow her footsteps, Amon said they will have to be prepared for a very demanding, difficult and male-dominated field.

1]; } ?>