March 28, 2024, 07:45:15 AM

Author Topic: Positive vibes, good news thread!  (Read 65424 times)

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Positive vibes, good news thread!
« Reply #150 on: May 18, 2016, 06:37:50 AM »
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 06:40:32 AM by maxg »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 25, 2016, 12:44:56 AM »
RG reminded me of this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNy-XytidOU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAwXAFz6cmA

RG?
Richard G, but he not I, aren't the messenger here doh. what u think of the message

Really good positive message. His main point is not to fear failure as failure can lead to success, and to embrace failure unlike the popular notion which insist failure is the end of you. Good message and will resonate with anyone.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 02, 2016, 09:15:50 AM »
Some good news here that most people tend to overlook. "There were no holiday weekend road deaths"

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20160601/news/there-were-no-holiday-weekend-road-deaths

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 02, 2016, 01:30:03 PM »
Some good news here that most people tend to overlook. "There were no holiday weekend road deaths"

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20160601/news/there-were-no-holiday-weekend-road-deaths

:applause:

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 12, 2016, 01:31:05 PM »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 27, 2016, 02:58:30 PM »

Purple Dragon Atiba Barton from Trinidad, Arima dojo takes the Grand Championship in Spain. :applause: 🇹🇹

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Trinbagolife/2026016094289739/?notif_t=like&notif_id=1467053651885903

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 30, 2016, 10:22:36 PM »

:applause: Traffic Warden Sara Partapsingh was honoured by the San Fernando City Corporation yesterday for her act of bravery.
On March 6, 2016 Sara while on duty on Lower street San Fernando she saved the life of a 2 year old girl who had strayed into busy High Street, San Fernando, running in front of a motor vehicle pushing the child to safety.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=266168530416413&set=gm.2027546147470067&type=3&theater

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 29, 2016, 11:32:25 PM »

Meet The Two Trinidadian Techies Who Just Developed A Breakthrough App

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/trinidian-techies-developed-breakthrough-app

Small island, big dreams.

Every Trinidadian, young or old, knows how serious the "pump" is. For those who are confused about what "pump" means to Trinidadians, your confusion ends here. To "pump" means to party hard, which Trinidadians are notoriously known for. Most parties, usually referred to as "fetes," are found out about by word of mouth, radio ads or Facebook event pages. Usually, it can be a hassle trying to gather all the necessary details of parties on one forum. Things like price, venue, etc. can be somewhat annoying to find out. I, myself, have always said that I wish there was one forum where every fete was listed and detailed to my liking. Thankfully, Andel Husbands and Jonathan Agarrat, both 21 years of age, came to not only my, but thousands of Trinidadians' rescue when they developed the app, "WhereDPump."

WhereDPump, which was launched on the App Store on June 23 2016, was something of an overnight idea. Andel Husbands, who attends the University of South Florida in Tampa, developed a website for the same purpose and of the same name in September 2014. Around the same time, he had contacted his long-time friend, Jonathan Agarrat, about the website. It had turned out that Jonathan was working on a similar website with the name "On D Avenue". The two decided to create a partnership and build on their skills together. They then launched the "WhereDPump" website in December 2014. The duo set to work on the iOS app in December of 2015 and balanced university, internships and coding to produce "WhereDPump" which has over 600+ users as of July 2016.

On the app, which is free to download on the App Store, users can see a list of "pumps" and are able to click on them to get the details, such as venue, where or who tickets can be collected, times, etc. Users can click "pumpin" or "not pumpin" to indicate if they would be in attendance. For club events, there are options to be able to get listed on a committee member list which is highly beneficial. Users can also "like" events to see a list of their favorite past events. Additionally, there is also a point system for users to accumulate points in certain ways which occasionally can be redeemed for free passes to events and such

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 13, 2016, 12:10:57 PM »

Meet Laura the limer: She's 101 today

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20160811/news/meet-laura-the-limer-shes-101-today

Laura Stafford-Charles turns 101 today. She has lived her life to the fullest and credits the grace of God for her longevity.

She was sprightly enough to visit the Express office earlier this week to tell about her life and shared some cherished moments. She was born in Guayguayare to parents Richard and Dora Stafford, and the eldest of four siblings and the only girl among them. Stafford-Charles left Guayguayare as a teenager and moved to Upper Hillside San Fernando.

Eventually she moved to Chacon Street. Currently she resides at Corinith Hills. She was married to Conrad Charles and had one son, Kurby who died several years ago. Stafford-Charles has one granddaughter who is currently attending university in the US. Stafford-Charles received her education at Mother's School now known as St. Gabriel's Girls RC primary school. She recalled working at the Colonial Hospital, now called the San Fernando General Hospital as a St John ambulance brigade member. She said she took up nursing duties. She also did handicraft.

Stafford-Charles has heart complications, shortness of sight and slight hearing loss. She is able to move on her own with the aid of a walking stick. Her message to the youngsters is to always believe in God and ask God for pardon. In recalling her days as a youth, Stafford-Charles said she loved to fete. She said: “Yes, we would go to fetes (and) overload the car and hide in the bush (when police would pull the car over)”. She wholeheartedly laughed when she recalled this moment.

Stafford-Charles said she is a devout Roman Catholic and attends church service throughout the country. She credits God for her long life and said that she prays for everyone in the country to be blessed. Stafford-Charles intends to celebrate her birthday by having a small prayer service and having a pastor blessing the food.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 24, 2016, 06:59:36 AM »
MATH WHIZ GOES AGAINST THE TIDE
by AKILAH HOLDER Wednesday, August 24 2016
Newsday

A 12-year-old Gasparillo boy has scored a distinction in mathematics in the Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CESC) examination, perhaps the youngest student in Trinidad and Tobago to have attained such a feat.

Frederick Thomas Jr, a student of the Open Bible High School in San Fernando, and felt by Education Ministry officials to be too young for such an exercise sat the examination in May when he was just 11 years old. The exam is one that is usually done by students five years his senior.

“All the hard work paid off so I’m feeling very excited,” the pre-teen told Newsday yesterday.” When I got the results during the night, I couldn’t sleep. I was too excited to sleep. When I got the results, I was in Tobago. And, my mom told me, ‘Now Freddie, I’m going to show you the results; I got through online,’ because before, she wasn’t getting a connection to the site, because too many people were on it. And she got on, and she saw my results.” Frederick’s achievement comes on the heels of Education Minister, Anthony Garcia’s declaration last week that there has been a decline in the math pass rate in the CSEC in Trinidad and Tobago.

Seated calmly and confidently on one of the benches in Assing’s Classes where he studied for the math examination and where Newsday chatted with him, Frederick, discussed his passion for the subject but his math lessons teacher, Bernard Assing, referred to fondly as “Dad” by Frederick chimed in: “He got inspiration from reading the article on my grandson. His mom took exams in Form 2, she’s a student of mine too.

And he got inspired by this (gesturing to a previous Newsday article on his grandson – Kiran Christian Dyaanand – who also achieved a distinction in Math last year at the age of 12 that he had laminated).

And when she (Frederick’s mother Sharon Thomas) came in, I said, ‘Well, why don’t I take him, if you want him to write within the year?’ And he was all keen on doing it, and I said ‘Ok.’ Kiran took three months to do it. He took the year.

That is because he couldn’t sign up.” Frederick’s mother explained that when she tried to register him for the January exam, it was already September 2015, and the deadline for registration had passed. Therefore, she resolved to register him for the May exam, but even then, she encountered resistance from ministry officials entrusted with the task of registering candidates, who advised her that he was “too young” and “should not be put through that stress.” Thomas ignored them and registered her son for the examination anyway. Furthermore, she rebuked the officials saying, that as a parent, if your child wants to do something, then you ought to encourage him or her. It took a lot of sacrifice, however. For each day of math lessons, Thomas, a teacher at San Fernando Girls’ Anglican, waited at Assing’s Classes until her son’s lessons, from five to seven pm, were over.

“I came from work, sat down and waited until the classes were finished and then we went home together,” she told Newsday. “Sometimes we reach home around 8 o’clock or 8.30; because if it’s an evening class, a five o’ clock class, it will finish around seven or a little after seven, and we travel home. So for me, it was all about supporting his decision. When he was ready to do his exam, I was there on the day, and sat down, waited for the whole day. Mr. Assing and Mrs. Assing came and supported us, and we chatted while he was in the exam room to give him that support.” She continued, “On the day, he was relaxed, and I was nervous.

He said, ‘well, mommy, I did the work...’ When he saw Mr. Assing, he was very happy, and he went in the room very joyous, and he took it at his pace.” Frederick. sat the exam in Marabella South Secondary School. Frederick comes from a single home. Any communication he has with his father is via skype.

Nonetheless, he pushed past this challenge and succeeded at a young age, in the CSEC exam.

According to his mother, Frederick was and remains “really padded” at home, having the benefit of living in an extended family: his mother and grand-parents.

Thomas also said that he received support from his aunt and her twin sister, also a teacher and a former student of Assing.

When asked if he had any advice for youngsters undertaking math studies, Frederick said, “Anybody could do mathematics. You just have to put your heart and mind into it and say, I want to get top marks, I want to get a distinction, and of course, if you study hard, and even if necessary, you could take extra classes, then anybody could receive a distinction.” Frederick intends to begin studying for CSEC additional mathematics in September of this year, and hopes to sit the exam the following year. He may also pursue English and some science subjects in the future.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 25, 2016, 10:19:40 PM »
well done young man Frederick :applause:

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 10, 2016, 11:49:20 AM »

Trinbagonian – American: Dr. Sheetal Maharaja, The Healthcare Warrior

Dr. Sheetal Maharaj

The Healthcare Warrior

The 29-year old native of Trinidad and Tobago and resident of Cooper City, Broward County, has been dedicated to providing healthcare to her community from she was a young girl.

She pursued several courses in nursing at Barry University in North Miami graduating cum laude with the Bachelors of Science in Nursing and summa cum laude with a Master’s of Science in Nursing and ultimately summa cum laude with the Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) degree.

“As I grew older I also developed a love for the sciences and ended up joining a specialized program in high school called HOSA (Health Occupations Students of America). I then realized that working in healthcare was what I was meant to do. I enjoy treating and caring for the sick, and providing my patients and their families support during tough times. Being able to go to work each day knowing that I am making a difference in the lives of others gives me a true sense of fulfillment.”

She commenced her nursing career in 2009 as a registered nurse. Today, she is fulfilling her ambition as a nursing practitioner, and cardiac electrophysiology. She has organized several free health fairs for the West Indian community at a local Hindu temple (including a free health screening to those who are uninsured or underinsured), and volunteered to provide free vaccines to children in Broward County.

She also attributes her career growth to her Trinbagonian heritage. “My parent’s desire, ambition, and work ethic to do better are a driving force behind everything I do. I know the hardships that many in Trinidad face, and appreciate the opportunities I have living in the US. I try to never take that for granted and push myself to achieve all that I can.”

She would like to see more young people involved in healthcare, “Try to volunteer at local hospitals, or shadow healthcare professionals.”

She says her culture, diversity and unity, and the kind nature and “happy-go-lucky attitude of our people” makes her proud to be a Tobagonian-American. “I’m proud of the accomplishments we continue to make worldwide in music, steel pan and soca, literature, with Sir V. S. Naipaul being Nobel Prize winner in literature, and medicine with Dr. Lall Shawh, the pioneer of kidney transplant in the Caribbean and a leader in urology. We Trinidadians, no matter where we live, will never forget our heritage and culture.”

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 24, 2016, 04:48:43 PM »

:applause: Shout out to Trinidadian Stylist Crystal Ivy London for her "Street Chic" feature in Essence Magazine.

Essence Magazine took to the streets of New York City during New York Fashion Week, SS/17 to spot the most trendy and stylish fashionistas and Crystal was one of the females who wowed the the street style fashion photographers.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=311737549192844&set=gm.2084564825101532&type=3&theater

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 22, 2016, 05:47:54 PM »
A special lady celebrates a special birthday.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/i4CgkTlHrYc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/i4CgkTlHrYc</a>
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 12:15:52 AM by Sando prince »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 23, 2016, 11:03:21 AM »
Lieutenant Commander Kele-Ann Bourne, of the T&T Coast Guard, created history by becoming the first female Naval officer from the southern Caribbean to captain a vessel on a cross-Atlantic sailing.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=345664445800154&set=gm.2130665943824753&type=3&theater

Ms Bourne is captain of the TTS Carli Bay (CG 28) one of two vessels acquired by the Coast Guard from Damen Shipbuilders. The other vessel is the TTS Moruga (CG 27) under Lieutenant Commander Aldon Jasper.

Both vessels left the shipyard in the Netherlands on Friday and should arrive in Trinidad before Christmas.Breaking ground is not new for this dynamic woman.

Bourne, who hails from Arima, was one of the first female ship captains and one of the first female officers to successfully complete training at the prestigious Britannia Royal Naval College in the United Kingdom. She left the Royal College with the Queen’s Award of the “Admiral Binoculars”, which is the highest award given to an international student.

In 2014, Kele -Ann, became the first female commissioned officer on horseback to officiate at the Independence Parade in T&T’s history.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 23, 2016, 05:54:58 PM »
You Go Girl!!! Sorry ah mean Woman!!!

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 08, 2017, 01:48:08 PM »

Grande woman reaps mega lemon

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2017-04-07/grande-woman-reaps-mega-lemon

Merlyn Pierre, a resident of La Sieva Road, Vega De Oropouche, Sangre Grande, is now surprised by the size of rough skin lemon she is reaping from the she planted at the back of her home three years ago.

She is amazed and believes one of the lemons she picked yesterday was the biggest for sure in T&T. The lemon weighs 3.2 kilograms and has a circumference of 54 centimetres.

Pierre said they got the seed from a friend in Manzanilla. The friend was also shocked to see the size of lemons Pierre’s tree has been producing, as his trees produce ordinary sized lemons.

Pierre yesterday cut the lemon to show its inside to T&T Guardian and only found that it has more core than juice.

At the back of a house where the tree was planted, Pierre showed the amount of lemons on the tree. One the other lemons was the same size as the one she reaped. However, Pierre said she is leaving that one to see if it will get bigger. —Ralph Banwarie

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 19, 2017, 12:18:34 AM »

Ivy League schools vie for Trini teen*
Jamieson aces SAT...

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20170409/news/ivy-league-schools-vie-for-trini-teen

A seventeen-year-old Trinidadian aced the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) and has landed acceptance letters from several United States Ivy League universities, including the prestigious Harvard University.

Malcolm Reid III, also known as “Jamieson”, will make his decision by April 25 on which university he will choose as he will spend the next couple weeks visiting the institutions and meeting the staff and alumni.

Malcolm was also accepted into the College of William and Mary, University of Virginia, Johns Hopkins University and Brown University.
Reid migrated to the United States two and a half years ago.
His father Malcolm Reid lives in Washington, DC, where he works as a security expert and adviser to international organisations.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 13, 2017, 01:17:15 AM »
From dailyMail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4876884/Reunited-50-years-couple-marries-NY-hospital-room.html#comments

American man, 73, and Trinidadian woman, 72, who met and fell in love while he was stationed at a Trinidad and Tobago army base are reunited after 50 years and marry in hospital room as he battles leukemia

Stephen Walbert, 73, and Jennifer Meyerink, 72, got married in Rochester, New York
They met in Trinidad and Tobago, where Walbert was stationed on an army base in 1965
He loved Elvis Presley and spun records for the US Navy radio station and they were introduced by Meyerink's brother
Walbert wore a black sequined outfit, a purple scarf and aviator sunglasses while Meyerink wore a black dress and a purple hat
They got married in a hospital where Walbert has been undergoing treatment for leukemia

He was an Elvis Presley-loving American sailor who spun records for the U.S. Navy radio station on the Caribbean base where he was stationed. She was a local woman whose brother worked at the base.
More than a half century after the brother introduced Jennifer Meyerink and Stephen Walbert, the long-separated couple's love was finally sealed in Rochester, New York.
They were married Monday in the hospital where Walbert has been undergoing treatment for leukemia.
'That eternal flame turned into a bonfire, and it's still roaring today,' the 73-year-old Walbert said as relatives and staff at Rochester General Hospital crammed into his room to view the marriage ceremony officiated by the city clerk.

In a nod to Elvis, Walbert wore a black sequined outfit, a purple scarf and aviator sunglasses. The bride wore a black dress and a purple hat.
Walbert, a Chicago native, was stationed in 1965 in Trinidad and Tobago, where he worked nights as a disc jockey for the base's radio station.
The two fell in love, but Walbert was transferred back to the states. He gave his dog tags to Meyerink, telling her 'Darling, I'll be back one day for this.'

But he never returned to the island nation. The two lost touch, and each got married and started their own families - Meyerink in Ontario, Canada, and Walbert in Wisconsin.
After Meyerink's spouse died, her sister used Facebook to find Walbert, by then a widower and living in Waupaca, in central Wisconsin.
The two began corresponding via email, and reunited in 2015. Walbert moved to Canada in March 2016.
'I never stopped loving him, I realized that,' the 72-year-old Meyerink said.

In October, Walbert was diagnosed with a form of leukemia. He decided to seek treatment in Rochester, where his son lives.
Later this week, Walbert and his family will decide whether to continue his treatment at the hospital or choose hospice care, WHEC reports.
'I haven't given up hope on myself yet,' said Walbert, the dog tags Meyerink had saved for 50-plus years hanging from his neck. 'I never will. But I have her back. And that gives me all the strength I need to get through the rest of my life.'

As the church lady from Saturday Night Live would say. "Isn't that Special". But that is real sweet. She looking good for for 72, yuh know!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 01:19:30 AM by Deeks »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 16, 2017, 06:41:39 AM »
^^^^^^^  aaaaawwwwww!!!!  This is too sweet!!!!    :) :)
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 24, 2018, 12:18:16 PM »

Award-winning Trinidad and Tobago-born actress, Lorraine Toussaint is set to star in a new Netflix series, scheduled for release later this year

Read More https://socamusictv.blogspot.com/2018/06/trini-actress-lorraine-toussaint-to.html

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 21, 2018, 04:54:00 AM »

Detroit's First Trinidadian-Caribbean Restaurant Opens This Week

https://socamusictv.blogspot.com/2018/08/detroits-first-trinidadian-caribbean.html

1]; } ?>