April 29, 2024, 05:15:35 AM

Author Topic: SOME REFLECTIONS BEFORE WE SAY GOODBYE TO THE MASTER!!!  (Read 3979 times)

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
SOME REFLECTIONS BEFORE WE SAY GOODBYE TO THE MASTER!!!
« on: April 20, 2007, 10:42:24 PM »

Nobody made the game look better and few ever played it better

The last king of Trinidad

Rahul Bhattacharya

April 21, 2007

Brian Lara batted with sensual beauty and gluttonous appetite. Many will hope he does it one last time in Barbados © AFP

Brian Lara, maker of epics, will bat one last time on Saturday. As ever, man and batsman, leader and performer, will take stage together in familiar conflict. Appointed captain a third time specifically for the Caribbean World Cup, he had some encouraging success with the one-day side but ultimately leaves behind this botched campaign as his final mark. Humiliation still fresh in their minds, but still the momentousness of the exit of the most brilliant batsman of his time before their eyes, West Indians will be divided. To savour him one last time or blame him one last time?

Always it has been so with Lara. I stumbled across an article from many years ago by BC Pires in Jamaica. To the Jamaican taxi driver the issue of Lara was clear: "'im like a child, like my likka son at home: 'im want captaincy, 'im must get captaincy; 'im wan' to bat at number five, 'im must bat at number five; 'im don't want captaincy any more, 'im t'row it back; 'im don't wan' play, 'im don' play, 'im never care if the team need 'im. No, bredren, West Indies parform better without him."
SEE f**kIN FIGHTDOWN

I also came across a short note on the message boards of caribbeancricket.com minutes after the understated announcement of retirement. "My hero since I was a very young boy. I've followed his career since de afro days at Fatima. Missed classes to watch him bat. This is a sad day for me."

It is for me too, because Lara's batsmanship was the greatest pleasure I derived out of cricket in the last two decades along with the bowling of Wasim Akram and I could have watched the game if they alone played it in the field. Lara batted with sensual beauty and gluttonous appetite. To watch him move into position was to already understand the possibilities of this game. To study his figures was to marvel the scope of his conception. He made the most runs in an over, an innings, a career. Anything anyone did he did bigger. Can you imagine someone making five hundred runs at one shot?

Nobody twinkled his feet so and angled his blade so and keep hitting gaps like Lara, an intuition sharpened in childhood when he arranged pots as fielders to practise. In 2003 a man at deep midwicket was taken out and put beside another behind point. This comes from Adam Gilchrist in The Australian a couple of seasons ago. "Mistake," hissed Lara. Next ball Lara lofted to midwicket for six. Gilchrist taunted Lara to take on the two men behind point instead. Lara strung it between them for four. Next ball was straighter, Lara backed away and strung it through again. Best remain silent now, Gilchrist then decided. This was to demonstrate precision of his skill. But I particularly liked "mistake". 'You don't know what I can do?' was the strut. That is the Lara motif.

The ambitions of his mind as much as the liquidity of his movements have been of fascination. A colleague from junior cricket told me about the time Lara the boy would come knocking at the door early in the morning every week when they published the averages, brandish the paper in his face with a great satisfied smirk and be off on his way to practice. When he was performing the improbable task of continuously taking apart Muttiah Muralitharan in Sri Lanka in 2001, his likely successor Ramnaresh Sarwan, unable to summon such mastery, watched in awe from the other end. 'Just watch how I do it,' Lara is said to have advised Sarwan, testament to both the man's ego and his genius.

Five years ago after a fair chase I did a satisfying interview with him. He told me a little story behind the 153 not out against Australia, perhaps his defining work in a career full of defining works. You remember the scenario, pay dispute, 0-5 in South Africa, 51 all out in the first Test, and then the brilliant double hundred to level the series before the classic Test at Bridgetown. A school friend, Nicholas Gomez, had presented him a Michael Jordan book. In it Jordan had spoken about his visualisation techniques. "I remember calling Gomez at six o'clock in the morning, the last morning of the Test match, and we went about planning this innings against the best team in the world." This was Lara's focus upon arousal, and if it deserted him he always found it back, and in the waxing and waning there was something reassuringly cyclical as it was frustrating.

Seven years on from that Australia series came another contract dispute, and Lara among others was dropped for endorsing the wrong corporate. When he returned, 36 years old now, he walked out at 13 for 2 in the opening hour against South Africa, having not played a Test for seven months. He made 196; the next highest score was 35. Thirteen days later he emerged at 12 for 2, soon to become 12 for 3, again on the first morning, and made 176 from 224 balls out of 296. West Indies were drubbed in both Tests. To test the point that Lara inhibits the rest of the team, he was dropped for the following one-dayers against Pakistan. West Indies lost all matches  very very important pt. Back for the Tests, Lara now walked out at 25 for 2 - for a third time, in the opening hour of the match - and struck 130 from 120 balls , this the most sublime of the lot.

He bows out now in a one-day match but it was not his preferred stage. Though his magical wrists, his intuition for gaps, his talent at going aerial were all suited to one-day cricket, not so the scale. The canvas was too small. Lara was of odysseys. He liked to get in, bat one, two days, score two, three, four hundred runs. Before such calibre, the limitations of one-day cricket were too petty.

Even so he was for a time - early in his career, when he batted always in the top four, rather than five or six where he has spent much of his last stint as captain - about the finest limited-overs batsman in the world too. He took 41 matches to get his first hundred. Then he added another ten in the next 70. His average passed 47. Those were the days of the mid-Nineties when the world of cricket turned for Brian Lara. All he touched turned to runs. Then came the slump, and while he regained his genius in Test matches, it wasn't ever quite the same in one-day cricket. The same appetite he could not bring to the short form and many a potential masterpiece was sawn off. In the past eleven innings alone he has had scores of 44, 31, 37, 37, 21 and 33.

But every now and then the brilliance shone through. His last one-day century, the only one in three years, was 156 against Pakistan at Adelaide last season. The final 57 balls of that innings brought 106 runs. It was a stunning reminder of his destructive potential and reminiscent particularly of his Sharjah blitz against Sri Lanka a decade ago when he had gone from 100 to 169 in 29 deliveries.

Having been unlucky in that way, it is from a one-day match that I have the best memories of watching Lara live. This was in Trinidad last year. The position was carefully determined so as to find the most unfettered view of that great big glittering backlift and wind-up. We settled somewhere between wide long-off and extra cover. Till he closed the issue with triumphant sixes off Harbhajan Singh, he played an innings of hard grit. So it was an hour or two of watching him size it up and really it was all I wanted to watch.

There comes a point in the Lara wind-up when all the game seems frozen. He is bent climatically at the knees, bat, as the cliché' has it, raised like a guillotine, eyes trained down the pitch and, surely, given his knack for reading of spin and swing, at the bowler's wrist. Insofar as the life of a cricket stroke goes, this is the fatal moment, the hairline between death, glory and a day at the office. It is perhaps not normal to think of cricket shots in those terms. Yet nobody could make the spectator more alive to these possibilities. Nobody could pack so much drama, meaning in every shot of cricket. Consequently nobody could so illuminate the point that this is a sport of such independent events, of an infinite number of worlds. Nobody, for better or for worse, could so strongly confirm that this here is the ultimate individual sport played by a team.

Nobody made the game look better and few ever played it better. So look hard on Saturday because we may not see the likes of this again and if we do we can think back to Lara and smile.

This article nearly make meh cry

« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 10:44:03 PM by THE Polished Hoe »
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Patterson

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: SOME REFLECTIONS BEFORE WE SAY GOODBYE TO THE MASTER!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 10:52:35 PM »
This article nearly make meh cry

nuh u alone....thanks for sharing

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 11:32:08 PM »
You will never find anyone who will doubt eh batting skills of Lara. In my opinion, his skill with the bat didn't translate in to skilled leadership. That is not a fightdown, but if you want to be a political animal, then you have to be prepared for the criticism, and if you rely on your batting to silence the critics, then you know what's coming when the runs dry up. His political plays were as bold and expansive as his greatest innings.

It's interesting that he mentions Jordan in the article, because, MJ stayed on too long, bullying the Wizards and, in my opinion again, tarnishing his legacy. I recall going to see him play in his last stint and being upset at the end.  The greatest player in the world was old, slow and in the clutch dribbled the ball off his foot, and still had the temerity to be upset at his teammates. - the same ones he picked.

Even the greatest of all time, can't hold back the vultures. Jordan burned bridges and in the end Abe Pollin got rid of him - too much baggage, it was distracting the franchise. I believe Lara has come to a similar point. Great talent, large ego, huge distraction. At least he gets to retire, and not face the ignominy of being fired.

In any case we'll see what happens now. Both the supporters and detractors get to see which side was correct.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

TrinInfinite

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 01:07:38 AM »
2morrow i feel i will cry breddah... I watching Lara as my hero from 10 years old, i had de lara copy books, jersey, everything from that age.. these bastards take away my dream of seeing him play out his career in style..

God is de BOSS...

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 02:34:51 AM »
2morrow i feel i will cry breddah... I watching Lara as my hero from 10 years old, i had de lara copy books, jersey, everything from that age.. these bastards take away my dream of seeing him play out his career in style..

God is de BOSS...

Pity you didnt see the real Windies play.

Yuh just start crying???? Steeeuuuppsss. Welcome to the club.

One man cricket show is still a circus.

As a true Windies fan, I want to see the return of the TEAM.

Offline fatman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 04:34:25 AM »

God is de BOSS...

i take offence to you equating laras performances with a circus this post is about celebrating some one who has given 20 years service to west indies cricket, i also will be crying.he has been responsible for thousands of west indians choosing to play cricket instead of football  cricketers such as dwayne bravo and jimmy adams crediited him with being the biggest influence over their career.if you are michael holding in disguise get your ass off this site.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 01:59:19 PM by fatman »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 06:18:16 AM »

God is de BOSS...

Nobody eh tell yuh yuh cyah badtalk Saint Lara? Yuh eh get that memo?

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 06:43:04 AM »

God is de BOSS...

all de sacrastic yuh sarcastic dis aint the pt of this tread bro.
whether u like him or not. yuh could post yuh own i eh liek lara thread. this one has a different motive.
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 06:45:20 AM »
  :'(

They go have to ward me later.
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 07:07:46 AM »

God is de BOSS...

all de sarcastic yuh sarcastic dis aint the pt of this tread bro.
whether u like him or not. yuh could post yuh own i eh like lara thread. this one has a different motive.
The thread say reflections. So that mean I must only praise?
I think the man is the greatest batsman ever. But that doh mean I have to censor myself.
And just because I think he is a goo captain doh mean I not going and watch today with some sadness.
But allyuh acting like the man dead and is Holding who kill him

Offline fatman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 09:27:09 AM »
 you really BITTER in truth if you cannot for one frigging post try and talk positively of some ones successes, you and Willi are wicked men. can you not spend ah minute using a post for positive .to praise someone who give people twenty years of joy. oh god all yuh wicked!! the vengence ah  ah mokko on allyuh. no one say lara is a saint but is he a demon oh god you is really BITTER people like you does sicken my soul!!!!

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 09:42:51 AM »
Sorry boss, I doh want to burn in hell.

That 20 years of joy also accompanied by Lots of pain. Like what I feeling right now to see the Windies playing for 5th spot.
I cyah express them feelings too?

You see me say in this anything wicked in this thread?

I defend ah man right to express his feelings that he prefer the team concept rather than the hero-worship Lara does get.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 09:45:05 AM »

That 20 years of joy also accompanied by Lots of pain. Like what I feeling right now to see the Windies playing for 5th spot.

I defend ah man right to express his feelings that he prefer the team concept rather than the hero-worship Lara does get.

can u please jus save the argument for a next time or a next thread. u free to express your opnion bitter and its welcomed . but please let d evibes rmeian postiive on this and similar thread..si all mankind asking

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 10:08:14 AM »

can u please jus save the argument for a next time or a next thread. u free to express your opnion bitter and its welcomed . but please let d evibes rmeian postiive on this and similar thread..si all mankind asking

I understand the sentiment, but I don't think it's fair to talk about reflecting on a great career without taking about all of it. that come like talking about Zidane and ignoring the head butt, because you want to remember him fondly.

My feeling is that it is sad to see so much individual greatness burdened by so much team failure. They will always be linked.

Posters should be honest with their feelings (it is too much to ask that they not be rude). I think that will make for a much more complete picture. What is the value of 50 "me too" posts?

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 11:03:31 AM »
A real Caribbean man

Sat, Apr 21, '07

The announcement of the retirement of Brian Lara signals the end of an era.

Lara, the greatest batsman of his generation and to some even more, announced his retirement in a press conference following the West Indies win over Bangladesh . There is much controversy associated with Lara. None of them can overshadow the numerous records that he holds, with the two most prestigious being most runs in Test cricket, and highest scores in Test and first class cricket.

The truth about Lara is held in the statistic that he is behind only Bradman and George Headley in the percentage of runs he has scored for his team over his career. Lara has scored an amazing 20% of the West Indies team runs over his career. Anyone who studies professional sports will understand how significant that fact is and what it can do to the psyche of both the achiever and those who 'depend' on him. And, don't kid yourself, West Indies cricket has depended on Lara. That he has known this has been unfortunate and both to his and the region's detriment.

However, Lara, as Dr Hilary Beckles pointed out, was a new generation of cricketer. This new generation had no colonial power to prove themselves against, and indeed this generation was interested in making money above proving a point of equality or 'right to belong'.

His constant battles with the WICB were seen as selfish, but a contrarian argument would be to say that Lara was in fact the beginning of a properly organized players movement. The WICB has long treated the players as field workers, toiling to make whatever they are given, and not deserving of equality or even respect at the negotiating table.

It is true that Lara heralded in commercialism into West Indies cricket at a time when West Indies cricket became devalued, but he himself didn't devalue it. In fact, for most of his career, Lara has been the sole commercial and entertainment attraction in this West Indies team.

Very few West Indies players have left the game at ease with the WICB and the game and there is a touch of "jump before being pushed" about the timing, on the eve of the announcement of what many predicted to be a new captain and a new team to tour England.

However, for many of his critics on the ground, there is a salient lesson from Lara. There is no Caribbean government, no indigenous Caribbean business, no individual, who has reached the level of excellence at any profession which Lara has attained. Many of his critics struggle to even be achievers in their own towns much less the region or the world. The lesson from Lara, which resonated through his career, is that the road to success is a lonely one, and likely to leave you as a target for everyone perched below.

As a follow on from this, his inability to bring people along with him, is natural, a Caribbean 'ting' which we struggle to contain. The difficulty to translate individual brilliance into a group or team effort plagues Caribbean society.

Lara is a product of this new Caribbean . Therefore when we criticize Lara, call him selfish, and other names, we in many ways are describing the Caribbean , us.

Thanks Brian. Enjoy the fruits of your labour.

* Courtesy of The Tip, a Lifestyle, Entertainment and Community Publication in Dominica . The Tip is published and distributed for free every Wednesday.

Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2007, 11:23:27 AM »
A real Caribbean man

Sat, Apr 21, '07

The announcement of the retirement of Brian Lara signals the end of an era.

Lara, the greatest batsman of his generation and to some even more, announced his retirement in a press conference following the West Indies win over Bangladesh . There is much controversy associated with Lara. None of them can overshadow the numerous records that he holds, with the two most prestigious being most runs in Test cricket, and highest scores in Test and first class cricket.

The truth about Lara is held in the statistic that he is behind only Bradman and George Headley in the percentage of runs he has scored for his team over his career. Lara has scored an amazing 20% of the West Indies team runs over his career. Anyone who studies professional sports will understand how significant that fact is and what it can do to the psyche of both the achiever and those who 'depend' on him. And, don't kid yourself, West Indies cricket has depended on Lara. That he has known this has been unfortunate and both to his and the region's detriment.

However, Lara, as Dr Hilary Beckles pointed out, was a new generation of cricketer. This new generation had no colonial power to prove themselves against, and indeed this generation was interested in making money above proving a point of equality or 'right to belong'.

His constant battles with the WICB were seen as selfish, but a contrarian argument would be to say that Lara was in fact the beginning of a properly organized players movement. The WICB has long treated the players as field workers, toiling to make whatever they are given, and not deserving of equality or even respect at the negotiating table.

It is true that Lara heralded in commercialism into West Indies cricket at a time when West Indies cricket became devalued, but he himself didn't devalue it. In fact, for most of his career, Lara has been the sole commercial and entertainment attraction in this West Indies team.

Very few West Indies players have left the game at ease with the WICB and the game and there is a touch of "jump before being pushed" about the timing, on the eve of the announcement of what many predicted to be a new captain and a new team to tour England.

However, for many of his critics on the ground, there is a salient lesson from Lara. There is no Caribbean government, no indigenous Caribbean business, no individual, who has reached the level of excellence at any profession which Lara has attained. Many of his critics struggle to even be achievers in their own towns much less the region or the world. The lesson from Lara, which resonated through his career, is that the road to success is a lonely one, and likely to leave you as a target for everyone perched below.

As a follow on from this, his inability to bring people along with him, is natural, a Caribbean 'ting' which we struggle to contain. The difficulty to translate individual brilliance into a group or team effort plagues Caribbean society.

Lara is a product of this new Caribbean . Therefore when we criticize Lara, call him selfish, and other names, we in many ways are describing the Caribbean , us.

Thanks Brian. Enjoy the fruits of your labour.

* Courtesy of The Tip, a Lifestyle, Entertainment and Community Publication in Dominica . The Tip is published and distributed for free every Wednesday.

wow. great article

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2007, 01:47:23 PM »
The Caribbean Man piece was ah nice article.  It have plenty scapegoats but we does single out ah man who has scored more than 20% of the runs on the Windies Teams he played on and act like everything else and everyone else involved in we cricket firing on all cylinders.

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2007, 03:13:44 PM »
Of the top of my head the 153 not out is possibly the best innings i have ever seen, and cemented his place as the greatest batsmen i have ever seen.

I didnt like his leadership but the captaincy of the West Indies over the last decade has been an impossible job anyway. You will see in the next few years that no one currently will be able to lead this West Indies team to success.

Yes Lara was not a success as a captain but he was damn well the finest batsmen of at least the last decade and in my opinion ever. I will remember him for that.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 03:20:34 PM by Remie »

TrinInfinite

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2007, 04:35:41 PM »
Of the top of my head the 153 not out is possibly the best innings i have ever seen, and cemented his place as the greatest batsmen i have ever seen.

I didnt like his leadership but the captaincy of the West Indies over the last decade has been an impossible job anyway. You will see in the next few years that no one currently will be able to lead this West Indies team to success.

Yes Lara was not a success as a captain but he was damn well the finest batsmen of at least the last decade and in my opinion ever. I will remember him for that.

The Caribbean Man piece was ah nice article. It have plenty scapegoats but we does single out ah man who has scored more than 20% of the runs on the Windies Teams he played on and act like everything else and everyone else involved in we cricket firing on all cylinders.

savannah breddah u does talk real sense... everyone think we have 5 other world class batsmen on the team and Lara is de biggest shithound... real bullshit, I am definately recalling all my tapes of Lara and keeping it for my children one day to see the greatest bastman who ever played and proudly was a Trini 2 de bone...

God is de BOSS....

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2007, 10:49:14 AM »
I just found this thread. PH, thanks for sharing  :beermug: :applause:
This writing and the memories it brought back almost made me cry as well. People have no idea what the possibilities and beauties of cricket mean to us, and also what place BC Lara has in our hearts
Isn't it amazing that such a tribute to an acknowledged master comes not from one of our own?
Oh and by the way, Willi, at least have the basic good manners to recognize the feeling and purpose of the thread and try, just try to keep your comments positive. It does not take a genius to recognize that the team come first blah blah blah. Yes thanks, we got the memo.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2007, 03:26:02 PM »
Even the man say that his only regret is that the team did not do well. If we are honest we will admit that the decline in WI cricket began with Viv Richards when we could not beat England in that series. This is after lara broke the record in th eregion after that Haynes broke it.

This was when we started to not get contracts in England. But the jokers at Factory Rd did zero to stem the tied. What they did they appointed an idiot captin. They feel that because he name started with Richards and the latter was son he was a clone of Richards, boy were they wrong.

So some Lara brillance and help from Walsh and Ambrose we won until 1995 when under the astute coaching of Roberts we lost the Worrell trophy and we now we loose the only thing that made sense in WI cricket,

A TRILLION THANKS Lara words cannot express what you have done. The heartbreak would have been greater if you were not there to ease our pain.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>