April 23, 2024, 04:51:36 PM

Author Topic: Rap mogul wants racist lyrics ban  (Read 2180 times)

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Rap mogul wants racist lyrics ban
« on: April 24, 2007, 08:15:54 AM »
The founder of legendary hip-hop label Def Jam has called for three sexist and racist words to be banned from songs.

Russell Simmons said there was "growing public outrage" about the use of the terms, which he said should be viewed as the same as "extreme curse words".

He asked broadcasters and record companies to voluntarily remove, bleep or delete the words from music.

And he suggested setting up an industry watchdog to recommend guidelines for lyrical and visual standards.

'History of oppression'

Simmons, the pioneering entrepreneur whose label has released music by Public Enemy, Run DMC and the Beastie Boys, objects to the use of "nigger", "ho" and "bitch".

He said: "The words 'bitch' and 'ho' are utterly derogatory and disrespectful of the painful, hurtful, misogyny that, in particular, African-American women have experienced in the United States as part of the history of oppression, inequality, and suffering of women.

"The word 'nigger' is a racially derogatory term that disrespects the pain, suffering, history of racial oppression, and multiple forms of racism against African-Americans and other people of colour."

Last week, Simmons called a private meeting of influential music industry executives to discuss the issue.

'Social responsibility'

But no music executives were associated with the announcement by Simmons' Hip-Hop Summit Action Network.

Simmons added: "It is important to re-emphasise that our internal discussions with industry leaders are not about censorship.

"Our discussions are about the corporate social responsibility of the industry to voluntarily show respect to African-Americans and other people of colour, African-American women and to all women in lyrics and images."

His comments follow the sacking of US DJ Don Imus for referring to the players on the Rutgers university women's basketball team as "nappy-headed hos".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6586787.stm

:applause: :applause: :applause:
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Rap mogul wants racist lyrics ban
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 08:25:58 AM »
as much as I too applaud him and others for that, I don't know that banning the words will eradicate the behaviour.  I suppose however, that it could be a start.  Historically, when you ban things, they become more popular.  Education to me is the key.  Educating people OUT of bad behaviour.
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 09:00:52 AM »
Steups. I think Oprah had him on her show and light up his ass... now he playing holier than the Pope (plus he has a new book to push). He, Puffy, Snoop all of them made millions from degrading black people. Anyway, if it means that this shyte will stop, then so be it.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 09:07:50 AM »
Steups. I think Oprah had him on her show and light up his ass... now he playing holier than the Pope (plus he has a new book to push). He, Puffy, Snoop all of them made millions from degrading black people. Anyway, if it means that this shyte will stop, then so be it.

Saw it.  Both days actually.  I'm sort of in two minds about it because I never really followed rap and don't know the history of the individual rappers but he did state he has not signed an artist in about 10 years.  He focusses on his foundation which is mentoring and educating young black people and those entering the hip hop industry.  If he did indeed make money in the past from degrading black people, he has obviously changed and is trying to turn things around for others.  It is one thing to do wrong and to continue to do wrong when you know better.  When you know better, you should DO better.

So, let's hope as you say that "this shyte will stop".
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 09:33:22 AM »
as much as I too applaud him and others for that, I don't know that banning the words will eradicate the behaviour.  I suppose however, that it could be a start.  Historically, when you ban things, they become more popular.  Education to me is the key.  Educating people OUT of bad behaviour.

like they should ban education and people might start to value it, ent?  :-\

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 09:37:51 AM »
Well I for one like rap and hip hop but not necessarily those ridiculous tunes out there. Back in the day 78' 79' Sugar Hill gang burst on to the scene with Rappers Delight and the Message and took the music world by storm. Those days were innocent and such degradation of women did not exist, nor did the anger of today's gangsta rap.
Russel Simmons was instrumental in producing and promoting Run DMC, LL COOL J, FAT BOYS, HEAVY D,KRS ONE, BIZ MARKIE and other early PIONEERS who spoke more about either their lyrical prowess , dance styles or injustices and prejudices in society. Rap then was fun and it never was reduced to all out cussing like today's rappers. What and when did things change is the question I always ask and I never get a straight answer.

When I play for the occasional party or wedding ,I choose only those tracks that people dance to and always without the expletives. Some people tell me that it's what the people want. PLEASE! I don't buy that for one second, so come up with a better one.

Today's rappers need desperately to clean up their acts!!! I support Simmons whole heartedly in his efforts. Education is also extremely important and sadly many rappers have not done anything past high school and can hardly put 2 sentances together in an interview.
Did anybody catch Chapelle's show where he asked Snoop Dogg and this other pimp to write an essay "What America Means to me" It was so utterly retarded  what he said it was not even funny, I just felt sorry for them.
Anyway I remain optimistic that a change will come
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 09:47:50 AM by grskywalker »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 10:05:24 AM »
Isnt he one of the People who initially said that it was OK for the Rap artist to sing about this topic but Not Imus.

ok i find the article

"Hip-hop impresario Russell Simmons, who with his Hip-Hop Summit Action Network hosts the "Get Your Money Right" seminar, said there's simply no comparison between Imus' use of the word "ho" and the word being spoken in rap lyrics.

"(Imus) can't say something that we know -- in his generation and in his immediate circle -- is harmful," Simmons said Thursday by phone from New York.

Simmons said the issue isn't about the word "ho" itself, but rather its intention and the context in which it was used.

"I don't think he's ever referred to his wife as a 'ho,' ( IS THIS A COMMON PHRASE IN MANY HOUSEHOLDS ??? :o  ) " Simmons said. "I don't think his intention was to celebrate these women." Furthermore, attempting to justify his using of the word by relating it to hip-hop is "a cop-out," Simmons said."

taken from here http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070414/NATION/704140399

has Russell Simmons Changed his position ??? which is a good thing ;)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 10:27:23 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 11:39:59 AM »
Isnt he one of the People who initially said that it was OK for the Rap artist to sing about this topic but Not Imus.

ok i find the article

"Hip-hop impresario Russell Simmons, who with his Hip-Hop Summit Action Network hosts the "Get Your Money Right" seminar, said there's simply no comparison between Imus' use of the word "ho" and the word being spoken in rap lyrics.

"(Imus) can't say something that we know -- in his generation and in his immediate circle -- is harmful," Simmons said Thursday by phone from New York.

Simmons said the issue isn't about the word "ho" itself, but rather its intention and the context in which it was used.

"I don't think he's ever referred to his wife as a 'ho,' ( IS THIS A COMMON PHRASE IN MANY HOUSEHOLDS ??? :o  ) " Simmons said. "I don't think his intention was to celebrate these women." Furthermore, attempting to justify his using of the word by relating it to hip-hop is "a cop-out," Simmons said."

taken from here http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070414/NATION/704140399

Thank you WC for finding this. All this verbal gymnastics don't impress me. Either it's right or wrong. It can't be right for some and not others. While I am suspicious of his motives (re: his apparent about-turn), I look forward to seeing what it all means, and if anyone else will follow (interestingly, I saw where rap sales are down 21% over last year and there are no rap "artistes" in the top 10).
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 12:43:07 PM »

like they should ban education and people might start to value it, ent?  :-\

It WAS at one time and our ancestors fought long and hard and endangered their lives to learn to read and to write.  Closer to our present day in the 60, black people were stoned and spit upon and worse in an effort to go to school.  Now that we have the freedom to do it all, what have we done.  Our ancestors must be turning in their graves. 

So you may very well have a point there.

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 12:45:56 PM »

ok i find the article

Thank you WC for finding this. All this verbal gymnastics don't impress me. Either it's right or wrong. It can't be right for some and not others. While I am suspicious of his motives (re: his apparent about-turn), I look forward to seeing what it all means, and if anyone else will follow (interestingly, I saw where rap sales are down 21% over last year and there are no rap "artistes" in the top 10).

I sayin dis all de time. 

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 02:08:32 PM »
Oprah call him out on TV...de man hadda say someting  ::)
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 03:50:05 PM »
Oprah call him out on TV...de man hadda say someting  ::)
Yes, because he have an empire to protect. Fire fuh all ah dem a-holes.

Offline #8

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 12:58:15 PM »
russell simmons is a hypocrite and does contradict himself nuff...say 1 thing on BET then say something else on anderson cooper 360....

my take is on this is...

*music is a form of expression....people life stories/experiences etc...avenue to vent so on and so forth
so if certain rappers having interaction(s) with whores...buying million dollar cars,houses,jewelry,planes etc...smoking weed....carry weapons and use them etc....and decide to sing about...what wrong with it?

*it have nuff sensorship on radio/tv...blocking out these derogatory words...so to actually here these types of lyrics repeatedly is either yuh went out and buy de album or somebody put a gun to yuh head and tell yuh to listen to it

*what is a female dog called? nuff R&B/Rap female artists refer to men as dogs...

*all these half naked girls in dem videos shaking dey bumper etc etc..did somebody drag dem outta dey house and say come wine up in this video or else? america does create dey own problems..is it rappers fault that tuition fees are crazy expensive in america and in order to pay school fees/bills some of these girls go that route and is it their fault yuh does make more money being a video girl than a regular day job?

*when ozzi ozborne...maralyn manson...etc sing bout murder...devil...kill...killl....doing shrooms,lsd etc..how come nobody ain't fighting that?

*people starving all over de world and we making noise over what a bunch of black millionaires say on dey records....and some of we is de same one's if ah gyal doh respond favourably to we cat calls or advances we quick to say'gone nah girl..you is badess/ho and cutting style'...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 07:12:16 PM by #8 »

1]; } ?>