April 25, 2024, 03:00:31 AM

Author Topic: Boycott Zen..?  (Read 4035 times)

Offline Pro-Jayz

• Sr. Warrior
  • Is ah long time since ah went Gulf City!
    • View Profile
Boycott Zen..?
« on: April 26, 2007, 07:15:57 AM »
Boycott Zen, says Job-Davis
Kimberly Mackhan

Thursday, April 26th 2007

The owners of the Zen nightclub should be held responsible for the lewd act performed between R&B/hip-hop superstar Akon and 15-year-old Danah Alleyne at a recent concert held at the club, Minister in the Ministry of Community Development, Culture and Gender Affairs, Eudine Job-Davis, has said.

She added that patrons should now boycott the nightclub to protest what she described as "that kind of behaviour".

Job-Davis stressed that the simulated sex act, which the teenager indulged in, should be resolved between the child and her parents.

"I can tell you that that hurt me to my core to see a young Trinidad and Tobagonian girl being treated that way by a man," Job-Davis said.

"I want to say, I am not excusing the young lady by any means, she has to take responsibility for her actions.[/b] But it is a matter between her and her parents and they should know how to discipline their daughter.

"I also want to say that the owners of club should be held absolutely and totally responsible for that what happened there."

Job-Davis made the statements during her contribution to the Equal Opportunities Bill at yesterday's special sitting of the House of Representatives in Port of Spain.

She told members of the Lower House that before she arrived at the Parliament, she received an e-mail that featured a video clip of the incident.

The video showed Alleyne dancing in a provocative manner with Akon on stage during his performance at the Port of Spain nightclub two weeks ago. It has been displayed on several well-known websites, including links on VH1 and YouTube-Broadcast Yourself.

When Princes Town MP Subhas Panday asked Job-Davis what sanctions she would recommend for the owner of club Zen, Job-Davis replied: "I really don't have the answers for the sanction. I just would like to see now what you can do is boycott the club. Maybe people can do that. They ought to be held responsible if that is the kind of behaviour that they are going to promote in this country."

Job-Davis added that the issue had generated a lot of concern among the local population.

"I think that all the men who were present that night in that club should really hang their heads in shame because they allowed it to continue. Yes, the young lady has to take responsibility for her actions, but as a society, we should not have allowed that to happen in that way," she said.

"It goes even wider and deeper than club Zen and the young girl. It speaks to the issue of the internet, it speaks to the issue of our television, it speaks to the issue of monitoring more closely our children.

"I want to say to parents, that we are not immune from what happened there. Our children are not immune from that, it can happen to any one of us and therefore we must learn a lesson from that and pay closer attention to our children and to spend more quality time with them."

only born in Santa Cruz BUT RAISED IN SAN FERNANDO..so dont get tied up!...I FROM SOUTH!

Offline Pro-Jayz

• Sr. Warrior
  • Is ah long time since ah went Gulf City!
    • View Profile
Re: Boycott Zen..?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 07:18:44 AM »
COPS SEARCH ZEN
Hunt on for Akon sex tape
Kristy Ramnarine

Thursday, April 26th 2007

Police conducted a search at the Zen nightclub yesterday, halting business at the venue for just over two hours.

The Express understands that the officers may have been searching for footage of R&B/hip-hop performer Akon allegedly engaging in sex acts at his recent concert at the nightclub.

Keate Street, Port of Spain was thrown into chaos as plain clothes and uniformed police officers surrounded Zen while others searched inside the venue.

Deputy Commissioner of Police, Winston Cooper, confirmed there was a search yesterday.

However, he said it was part of the ongoing investigation into the dirty dancing incident at the nightclub, which featured 15-year-old Danah Alleyne and Akon. Cooper said the police did not find anything yesterday.

According to police sources, a warrant was obtained by the police to search the premises for surveillance video footage of the club from the particular night of Akon's performance.

On Tuesday, Zen management apologised to Alleyne, her family and the public at large "with the hope that with time, the embarrassment and pain caused by the incident will ease, especially for Danah".

In a statement, the management of the club, which is owned by Johnny Soong, also said, "We do not shy away from our responsibility in this matter and accept that we made an error in judgment on the night in question."

Meanwhile, attorney Kelvin Ramkissoon has written to Director of Public Prosecutions, Geoffrey Henderson, on behalf of the Alleyne family, asking him to make a public call to those responsible for publications and commentaries on the issue to respect Alleyne's legal status. According to the law, Alleyne is a child.

"In accordance with the foregoing authorities and as litigated in the local case of Boodram v The AG, there accordingly exists a duty upon you, as the public functionary vested with the repository of the plenitude of power under section 90 of the Constitution, to ensure that any potential process instituted is reasonably free from prejudice and must be a sterile and objective process so far as is reasonably practicable.

"I therefore call upon you to use your good office and your usual independent judgment to issue a call upon the media to exercise restraint and reasonable judgment, cognizant of potential issues and outcomes in the further publication and/or commentary over the alleged incident surrounding my client."

Ramkissoon said: "The recent widespread and negative publications surrounding the alleged incident cannot, by any stretch of the imagination, be deemed to be a sterile and objective account of the said incident.

"Above all, Miss Alleyne is a young person within the statutory parameters and is perhaps more than any other party entitled to the fullest protection of the law."

Attempts to reach Henderson and Soong last night were futile.

only born in Santa Cruz BUT RAISED IN SAN FERNANDO..so dont get tied up!...I FROM SOUTH!

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 07:43:26 AM »
I don't see the need to boycott the club.  However, I agree with tightening and enforcing age restrictions on entry to that and other clubs.
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 08:26:22 AM »
I don't see the need to boycott the club.  However, I agree with tightening and enforcing age restrictions on entry to that and other clubs.
Yes and ALL over the Island
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 08:33:19 AM »

That's why I said "and other clubs".  WC, yuh eh have yuh coffee yet or wha.  Yuh usually on top ah tings. 
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 08:43:12 AM »
That's why I said "and other clubs".  WC, yuh eh have yuh coffee yet or wha.  Yuh usually on top ah tings. 
dat battub tred have meh discombabulated...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 08:49:34 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 12:49:51 PM »

Soong should put a freeze on Zen till June.

Say is to improve systems....then u will see people start to bawl.

Offline noname

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 01:09:42 PM »

Soong should put a freeze on Zen till June.

Say is to improve systems....then u will see people start to bawl.

boycott Zen? hahahahahahahaha :rotfl:
Our leaders are so out of touch with reality that they actually expect trini people to voluntarily stop going to party because they say so. All these years, a whole new generation has been bainwashed into thinking that party and fete and carnival is the end all of trini culture.

As for this little girl and all the ruckus, I hope people realise that this is only a big deal with Pastor Manning, his disciplines and the online community. She want to get on bad, say sorry and the everything hunky dory. Well tough way to find out that life eh so rosy.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 01:12:38 PM »
It's amazing how a non issue like this could have politicians fully focused to further their own agenda
instead of their actual jobs

This akon 'scandal' ting is as stupid as the anna nicole crap ..on and on and on

ah well humans like bachanal
so it go
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 01:25:15 PM »
It's amazing how a non issue like this could have politicians fully focused to further their own agenda

This akon 'scandal' ting is as stupid as the anna nicole crap ..on and on and on

so it go

But wait...Dutty. daise you??   ???

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 01:33:39 PM »

so it go

yeah gyirl ah now re-read dat...I must be tryin to pretend I is kicker and filho

ah not feellin well today....so ah not sure what ah typin atall

ah go get back to normal tomorrow
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 04:14:24 PM »
a f**keerry dat.. Dem nuh beg no likkle dutty gal fi Jump up pon stage and get rod out.. de gal and her f**king parents wutless!!!!!!!!!!!!
warmonga..
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 06:09:16 PM »
Though i know trinis real fickle and wont do it..MACHEL IS DE ONE WHO SUPPOSE TO GET BOYCOTTED
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 06:58:44 AM »

so it go

yeah gyirl ah now re-read dat...I must be tryin to pretend I is kicker and filho

ah not feellin well today....so ah not sure what ah typin atall

ah go get back to normal tomorrow

Whew...<wipes my brow in relief> ...ah was lil concerned dere fuh a second.

Offline RasIred

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 09:46:30 PM »
She being a tad moronic now, Carnival does have more wutlessness taking place for all and sundry to see absolutely freeeeeeeeee, at least Zen behind closed doors and they chargin lil dollars...wait that sound like a  ;D

1]; } ?>