April 20, 2024, 10:32:02 AM

Author Topic: Timeout fellas. This new forum  (Read 6103 times)

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Timeout fellas. This new forum
« on: March 22, 2005, 10:44:42 PM »
personally kinda boring to me.

I know it more modern and thing, and is the way to go, but I just find the vibes gone.

A big part of the old forum was logging on and seeing everybody post and replies in one page. man could look for the shit talk and picong and jump in where they want.
Or men could talk serious ball if they want.

This new format, you only see the first post topic, nothing else.

To me it too formal.

That is not Trinidad, especially a place where we like to ole talk.

I missing seeing truetrini and triniman at it, KMC and Sam cussing it out in public, Winnipeg fury, RF and Bimblast posting some kinda thing and everybody jumping on them.

Is like the vibes gone.

I personally dont have the same zeal as I used to have to visit the forum, hence this is only about my 3 rd post here.
And we in the middle of a WCQ year.
In 2001, we must have had about a million posts a day for about 6-8 months. plenty war, bacchanal, etc etc.

We killing the vibes with this formal thing.

RF was right when he say that the RBZ site had to revert to a more open format as the the more formal format drove away posters.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Timeout fellas. This new forum
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 10:59:52 PM »
agree

truetrini

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 11:42:43 PM »
agree

Offline rocwell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 01:50:06 AM »
Disagree, you're just used to one thing, in time you may feel different. 
I've been waiting for this switch for a long time now as the privious format was rendered obsolete years ago.

Before, if a thread had a lot of replies, it would push other threads off the first page.  Plus you'd have to click on each individual reply to read it, here one click gets you many replies.  That's efficient.  Like I said, you're used to the old way, but soon you'll join the rest of the internet in embracing a more sensible message board format.

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 04:56:43 AM »
I find myself reading more than posting....The forum doesnt encourage active participation by the majority of the people who visit. This board is almost too formal for the purpose of this web site.  We did the same thing over by the RBZ site about 2 years ago, and found out that people lost interest...we had to go back to having an open forum. The Interest might not fall off on this forum any time soon, primarily because of the fact that T&T is involved in the Hex, but I can see significantly less postings here if/when the World Cup dream is over.  Dont get me wrong, the change is definately good, as the last message board from server.com was crap really. I'll be lreleaseing a message board tool over the next couple of months, and it will have MANY of the features of this one, but the major thing it will have over this one, is that it will allow the users to view thier messages in the "classical" open thread views, in addition to the existing "compact" views of this forum.  Some users will always like the compact view, while others will prefer the traditional open view...these should all be options for teh user to select  to suit his personal taste. It will allow users to still use avatars, personal messaging,  etc etc. A free copy will be avaialble to Flex if he is interested, as a gift from the Reggae Boyz Supporters Club.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 05:05:10 AM by Reggaefan »

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 05:42:41 AM »
YOU ARE RIGHT PARDNER, I HARDLY POSTING, I EH SEEING KND, SAM, PATRIOT OFTEN! IT EH HAVE NO QUARRELING, I HARDLY GETTING VEX WITH TRINIMAN! BUT I GUESS THIS IS DE FUTURE AND WE HAVE TUH ADAPPT!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 06:54:12 AM »
I agree= But we have to move on- Give it some time. Change is never easy to accept.

I have to agree about the Vibes.

Offline Father Abraham

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 06:56:04 AM »
i feel you there bro.

it really boring, it need to be a lot more personal

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 07:03:39 AM »
Agreed. I find the forum simply not active enough, it eh have the same effect like the last one where it was like a Lime  ;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 08:03:40 AM »
Well; for me and it's just my opinion, this new forum is adaptable. One is able to succiently keep  related topics in  one "bundle" as oppose to searching through "streams" to find the topic one started.

Simply by finding the topical title, one is able to trace and follow the flow of  responses. Now if one is looking to see familiar names and to just touch "bases" on what a person is saying or have posted in the past, it may require a little searcing through the topics.

However there are added features here which are readily avaliable that was not  on the older version. The use of quotes, visuals and tracking numbers of responses to a topic adds to the interest level of the conversation.

So while we like the familiar, leh we give this a chance nah!!!! How come  some people are clammering fuh change on this forum yet when they work with change they want tuh change back?

Take a look at this forum: http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/jdforum/

Is that what some of allyuh want?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2005, 08:08:46 AM »
I find myself reading more than posting....The forum doesnt encourage active participation by the majority of the people who visit. This board is almost too formal for the purpose of this web site.  We did the same thing over by the RBZ site about 2 years ago, and found out that people lost interest...we had to go back to having an open forum. The Interest might not fall off on this forum any time soon, primarily because of the fact that T&T is involved in the Hex, but I can see significantly less postings here if/when the World Cup dream is over.  Dont get me wrong, the change is definately good, as the last message board from server.com was crap really. I'll be lreleaseing a message board tool over the next couple of months, and it will have MANY of the features of this one, but the major thing it will have over this one, is that it will allow the users to view thier messages in the "classical" open thread views, in addition to the existing "compact" views of this forum. Some users will always like the compact view, while others will prefer the traditional open view...these should all be options for teh user to select to suit his personal taste. It will allow users to still use avatars, personal messaging,  etc etc. A free copy will be avaialble to Flex if he is interested, as a gift from the Reggae Boyz Supporters Club.

RF, send that copy to:

nigelmyers@yahoo.com

Thanx.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2005, 08:12:15 AM »
personally kinda boring to me.

I know it more modern and thing, and is the way to go, but I just find the vibes gone.

A big part of the old forum was logging on and seeing everybody post and replies in one page. man could look for the shit talk and picong and jump in where they want.
Or men could talk serious ball if they want.

This new format, you only see the first post topic, nothing else.

To me it too formal.

That is not Trinidad, especially a place where we like to ole talk.

I missing seeing truetrini and triniman at it, KMC and Sam cussing it out in public, Winnipeg fury, RF and Bimblast posting some kinda thing and everybody jumping on them.

Is like the vibes gone.

I personally dont have the same zeal as I used to have to visit the forum, hence this is only about my 3 rd post here.
And we in the middle of a WCQ year.
In 2001, we must have had about a million posts a day for about 6-8 months. plenty war, bacchanal, etc etc.

We killing the vibes with this formal thing.

RF was right when he say that the RBZ site had to revert to a more open format as the the more formal format drove away posters.

Thats funny Trini as you were one of the main ones dying to move here.

http://disc.server.com/discussion.cgi?disc=107201;article=114869;title=SOCAWarriors%20Online%20Discussion%20Forum.

And this was my take.

http://disc.server.com/discussion.cgi?disc=107201;article=114842;title=SOCAWarriors%20Online%20Discussion%20Forum.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline lil damo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2005, 08:40:30 AM »
This is my first post since joining the forum and I AGREE. I appreciate the modern touch that this forum has but it doesn't inspire me to come on and participate. I find myself spending less time on it and getting bored very quickly.

I liked when I could see all of thr posts & responses on one page in stead of just the first post.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2005, 09:17:17 AM »
I find myself reading more than posting....The forum doesnt encourage active participation by the majority of the people who visit. This board is almost too formal for the purpose of this web site.  We did the same thing over by the RBZ site about 2 years ago, and found out that people lost interest...we had to go back to having an open forum. The Interest might not fall off on this forum any time soon, primarily because of the fact that T&T is involved in the Hex, but I can see significantly less postings here if/when the World Cup dream is over.  Dont get me wrong, the change is definately good, as the last message board from server.com was crap really. I'll be lreleaseing a message board tool over the next couple of months, and it will have MANY of the features of this one, but the major thing it will have over this one, is that it will allow the users to view thier messages in the "classical" open thread views, in addition to the existing "compact" views of this forum. Some users will always like the compact view, while others will prefer the traditional open view...these should all be options for teh user to select to suit his personal taste. It will allow users to still use avatars, personal messaging,  etc etc. A free copy will be avaialble to Flex if he is interested, as a gift from the Reggae Boyz Supporters Club.

RF, send that copy to:

nigelmyers@yahoo.com

Thanx.

There are message boards with those features out there flex. CHeck this one, an Arsenal board that used to use an open format. They ahve also switched but you have the option to look at the page in "tree" view or "flat" view.

http://www.awimb.com/fudforum/index.php?t=threadt&frm_id=1&rid=0&S=aa8d00039701a1dd1bba33a886e249d6

http://www.awimb.com/fudforum/index.php?t=thread&frm_id=1&rid=0&S=aa8d00039701a1dd1bba33a886e249d6

It is still a bother once you get into the thread though, but you might want to check it out.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2005, 10:26:21 AM »
agree

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2005, 01:40:40 PM »

Is still progress.
But I doh think we reach the final thing yet cuz this one could do with some changes.

And Sam, I think this site is more secure than the other one eh.  Your IP is kept private and there are no popups and banner ads.
You could even use the socawarriors email from the last website to sign up so you can still protect your privacy.  It also easier to market this site since the web address isn't some disc.server thing so that give it the potential to attract more new users if the activity manage to keep up despite the blandness.

I agree on having all the days posts on one page...more entertaining and it easier to follow who responding to who.
But doh worry, dem fellahs working on something I sure.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2005, 09:16:49 PM »
There is a way to make the replies collapsable.  You just click the plus sign next to the topic and it will show all the replies for that topic. Like in windows explorer when you click the plus sign next to a folder.  I think this is a good solution, but I don't know if it is available. 

I like the old version too.

Offline PIMP

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2005, 07:56:23 AM »
i agree...vibes dead....the ole talk gone...people getting to formal....

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2005, 08:22:21 AM »
Both sites certainly had their advantages...

This one is more modern, but as one man put it, "the vibes gone."

Hindsight is 20 20. I'm sure Flexos will listen to our input, and as usualy will continue to impress us with his changes.

That option RF talk about sounds quite attractive.

Peace,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2005, 02:29:02 PM »
When looking at this forum and the Reggaeboyz site. I am intrigued as to how topics at this site are explored followed up and continued over time.

In the JA site, it's amazing how certain topics are blown over very quickly. Im speaking in specific references to the ones  dealing with polls as an example.
Cheers
Ric

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2005, 02:54:18 PM »
we need a truetrini song or poem to get this new forum off and running. 
Also I find one part of the old forum that missing now was changing the subject of the message to someting interesting get people to read the reply (even if there was no message just one line).  Now every reply is simply re:....

look de old one here to see what I talking about http://disc.server.com/Indices/107201.html

« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 02:57:48 PM by arrow »

Offline rocwell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Look, no "Re:"
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2005, 03:03:07 PM »
Also I find one part of the old forum that missing now was changing the subject of the message to someting interesting get people to read the reply (even if there was no message just one line).  Now every reply is simply re:....

look de old one here to see what I talking about http://disc.server.com/Indices/107201.html

You can change the subject line here as well.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Thanks captain obvious
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2005, 03:36:57 PM »
But it makes no difference since you only see the subject line after you've already scrolled down to read the post. With the old forum you could decide if something was worth reading just based on subject line.

Offline rocwell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2005, 03:57:21 PM »
But it makes no difference since you only see the subject line after you've already scrolled down to read the post. With the old forum you could decide if something was worth reading just based on subject line.

Interesting perspective, I prefer not having to click on every single reponse subject to read what was said.  Also if a thread had 20, 30, 40 replies the old forum would look like

------------------
        -----------------
             --------------------
                       --------------------
                                 --------------------
And so on, until it was going off the side of the page it was terribly contained. 

1]; } ?>