April 27, 2024, 04:11:48 PM

Author Topic: Should de authorities make it ah standard language..?  (Read 8504 times)

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
Re: Should de authorities make it ah standard language..?
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2007, 01:07:14 PM »
I believe we Trinbagonians should acknowlege our Trini language as ah standard and seperate language (like spanish, English, French..etc)...Ah doh believe we language is English and people who keep on sayin dat eh facing reality...Haiti language is rooted from french but their authorities has classified it as ah sperate standard language because its not French..Ah lot of Trini words are not rooted from de English language....I do believe English should be taught in schools like Spanish because in dis day and age its beneficial to be bi-lingual.....De local media should start printin in we native tongue and someone should print ah Trinbagonian dictionary......Our language is one of de main tings dat seperate we from de rest of de world and something we should cherish and be proud about....wat is allyuh opinion?

So you think we should formalise a language that only 1 million people would speak and, by making it our first language, effectively separating us from the rest of the world (in your words) and making international communication and business near impossible?

Rather than learn a genuinely useful foreign language, we should just invent one?

We do not have to formalise a language we already have our own language..its just not acknowleged as our main language..Its not like am saying everyone should go and learn how to speak what we already speaking everday LOL.....and like I said before said nothing is wrong with learning English because its beneficial to be bi-lingual...
Yeh and you dont see anything wrong with Trinbago using a foreign language as our main language...(especially when we have our own native language) That's just a colonised mentality!!..
Trinidad has a unique culture, very unique. A major and defining part of a culture is its language. Trini is a very unique language. With that i argree with you.I alos think it should be preserved. Should it be mainstream it already is ,d ais hwo we talk. We use standard enlgish to commuicate formally, we use trini everyday.
I cant see a colonial mentaility.  Trini is a native language your right, but its still in use. We cannot use trini to communicate formally dat doesnt make sense problem. especially when dealing with other countries.
not practical

That's why I said its good to be Bi-lingual ...so when it comes to dealing with other countries we will speak their language.(or get ah damn translator like what most countries do!)..I'm sure the Haitian President or Venezuelan President cant speak all languages...and ah man say we should not have our own language because we just have about one million people...now that's a very narrow-minded way of thininking....but when my generation reach in authority all of this shit would change because we see ourselves as Trinibagonians first then everything else comes after...the way we speak and the way we live has to revolove around our traditions and culture..what other people or countries think is not more important...the authorities today were born in a different generation...they idolise the foreign way of thinking instead of just accepting that we have evolved into our own unique way of life (which includes the way we speak and live)
well then by your definiton we alreayd bi lingual..lol
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Girl Warrior

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2007, 01:09:52 PM »
http://www.roxcie.com/dictionary.htm

http://www.trinidictionary.net/
BC pires had a good one called the skettictionary.
but its no more sadly. people use to send in words / phrases and thier menaing.
was pure kicks

That was the first online trini dictionary that i could remember.... me and a freind in the office used to email a "word of the day" to coworkers. ah loved that too bad.
The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall... Che Guevara

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2007, 01:12:33 PM »

was pure kicks

That was the first online trini dictionary that i could remember.... me and a freind in the office used to email a "word of the day" to coworkers. ah loved that too bad.
the ones i use to get kicks off..was the subtle diferences between words like jammet, skettel, etc
and how many definitions it had for panday .lol
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Girl Warrior

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2007, 01:28:40 PM »

was pure kicks

the ones i use to get kicks off..was the subtle diferences between words like jammet, skettel, etc
and how many definitions it had for panday .lol
ah remember that too... oh gorm dat was real kicks fuh true
The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall... Che Guevara

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2007, 01:30:26 PM »
Problem ah agree with you in most part about keeping we trini talk...but ah don't agree on the part where u say it was native..like before the Europeans came..our trini talk has evolve over de years...as Hoe said, our "language" was born from other languages..English being the foundation, with french, hindi, spanish, patios and ah little chinese making de whole..at one time our language was mainly english and patios or french creole..and with every other language it is still growing and evolving, because now the USA influence from rap and hip hop has taking our lunguage to ah new hieghts  ;D
I know we are unique in de way we talk cuz nuff people here does ask me what language we speak in trinidad..ah remember a girl ah used to work with when ah jus came in de US came up to me one day and said..wow your english is very good for someone who jus came here  ;D I was like..thanks I am a quick learner  :rotfl:

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2007, 03:13:36 PM »
According to Fifa 204 countries have entered the 2010 WC qualifying

Ok so now tell me why each and every one of them 204 countries shouldn't have their own language...their so called native tongue?

The whole world bi-lingual ent?  Well except England....dem only know English.  Maybe the pykes bi-lingual   ;D

Look Scottish people doh talk English
  ;)

problemjaydeess is friday raaaaaaa
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 03:19:40 PM by dcs »

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2007, 08:05:36 PM »
ProblemJaydees,

I not understanding you....we speak English in Trinidad.

You communicate to everyone on this board in English and you are typing English.

Now because you pronounce a word differently or spell it differently you want to classify it as a totally different language?

Or is it that words that we use in everyday language that trinis know...e.g Mako meh man, fass, commess etc. Are to be grouped together more words created and a new language be defined from that as our own?

I want you to enlighten all of us and give us an example of this "Language" you want to create.

Give us a one paragraph nah.....Translate a nursery rhyme or something?

Keep the age difference and colonial mentality and all them kinda ting out the arguement for now, it not adding substance to your arguement. Purport a valid reason for your claim and lets judge how feasible it is.

Also...what about all the slangs that we have imported from our cousins in the Caribbean and Up North, that we feel we create....e.g yuh done know. Etc. Or the setta Rasta talk that pervades the vocabulary of the youth of today? What going on in these instances?

Come nah translate Mary had a little lamb or something in this new language....

When you finish I will continue the questions....as of now I want you to develop the mustard seed yuh now plant.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Pro-Jayz

• Sr. Warrior
  • Is ah long time since ah went Gulf City!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2007, 08:35:02 PM »
ProblemJaydees,

I not understanding you....we speak English in Trinidad.

You communicate to everyone on this board in English and you are typing English.

Now because you pronounce a word differently or spell it differently you want to classify it as a totally different language?

Or is it that words that we use in everyday language that trinis know...e.g Mako meh man, fass, commess etc. Are to be grouped together more words created and a new language be defined from that as our own?

I want you to enlighten all of us and give us an example of this "Language" you want to create.

Give us a one paragraph nah.....Translate a nursery rhyme or something?

Keep the age difference and colonial mentality and all them kinda ting out the arguement for now, it not adding substance to your arguement. Purport a valid reason for your claim and lets judge how feasible it is.

Also...what about all the slangs that we have imported from our cousins in the Caribbean and Up North, that we feel we create....e.g yuh done know. Etc. Or the setta Rasta talk that pervades the vocabulary of the youth of today? What going on in these instances?

Come nah translate Mary had a little lamb or something in this new language....

When you finish I will continue the questions....as of now I want you to develop the mustard seed yuh now plant.

Touches yuh write ah long story dey for no reason...I know because a language is worded and spelt differently is not classifies as a language..(interesting you left out pronounced differently and may also have a different meaning)..Now yuh cah tell meh what to leave out and what to post in my responses because everything I write draw a reference to my analysis of the topic...So I will say it again the authorities still have a friggin colonised mentality...and what de hell yuh mean explain or define this "language" am talking about!! like YUH doh know how tuh speak yuh native tongue!!(language)...and Wow I didnt know I was speaking mostly English and not my native tongue on this site..No shit Touces I didnt know that!!...all the questions you ask me I've previously answered or explained in my previous responses...so go back and do some reading before yuh do all dat writing nah!..Now you are one of the people who believe what the average Trinbagonian speak in Trinbago is the English language..but I know that's not true...yuh living in denial
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 08:40:47 PM by problemjaydeess »
only born in Santa Cruz BUT RAISED IN SAN FERNANDO..so dont get tied up!...I FROM SOUTH!

Offline Patterson

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2007, 08:54:49 PM »
we're speaking a dialect of english..........no need for long talk bout own language

Definition of dialect as follows:

a variety of a language distinguished by certain features of grammar or vocabulary. For example, there is a Yorkshire/trinbago dialect of English, which contains words not used in standard English (which is in itself a dialect.).
www.tta.gov.uk/php/read.php

# the usage or vocabulary that is characteristic of a specific group of people; "the immigrants spoke an odd dialect of English"; "he has a strong German accent"; "it has been said that a language is a dialect with an army and navy"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

# A dialect (from the Greek word διάλεκτος) is a variety of a language used by people from a particular geographic area. The number of speakers, and the area itself, can be of size. It follows that a dialect for a larger area can contain plenty of (sub-) dialects, which in turn can contain dialects of yet smaller areas, et cetera.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialect

# a regional variety of a language differing from the standard language.
memory.loc.gov/ammem/ndlpedu/educators/workshop/discover/vocab2.html

# a regional variety of language distinguished by features of vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation from other regional varieties
www.iclasses.org/assets/literature/literary_glossary.cfm

« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 08:57:24 PM by Patterson »

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2007, 10:05:53 PM »
i see this eh going anywhere......in my mind i dont think we have our own "language". we have an accent and use the english language in our own little way, but most of it we use to talk to friends or family you know? you wouldnt talk like that in a interview with a big company would you? they'll kick yuh ass out in 2 seconds.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »
Now you are one of the people who believe what the average Trinbagonian speak in Trinbago is the English language..but I know that's not true...yuh living in denial

:rotfl: :rotfl: well yes, I've seen it all on this forum...apparently we do not speak English in T&T

breds yuh seriously have to take a trip to Glasgow or hear a Scouser speak....yuh will soon understand we speak english very clearly....

Offline Pro-Jayz

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2007, 10:16:25 PM »
Now you are one of the people who believe what the average Trinbagonian speak in Trinbago is the English language..but I know that's not true...yuh living in denial

:rotfl: :rotfl: well yes, I've seen it all on this forum...apparently we do not speak English in T&T

breds yuh seriously have to take a trip to Glasgow or hear a Scouser speak....yuh will soon understand we speak english very clearly....

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Bredda de English language is not our native tongue..and we speak more of our native tongue than English in T&T ...like yuh was in Glasgow a little bit too long  :rotfl:
only born in Santa Cruz BUT RAISED IN SAN FERNANDO..so dont get tied up!...I FROM SOUTH!

Offline Pro-Jayz

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2007, 10:19:13 PM »
i see this eh going anywhere......in my mind i dont think we have our own "language". we have an accent and use the english language in our own little way, but most of it we use to talk to friends or family you know? you wouldnt talk like that in a interview with a big company would you? they'll kick yuh ass out in 2 seconds.

Yes I agree that if you go for a job in a country where English is the main language then its expected that you speak English...so I still dont get your point... :devil:...sadly the T&T authorities acknowledges English as our main language
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 10:35:46 PM by problemjaydeess »

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2007, 10:30:24 PM »

Yes I agree that if you go for a job in a country where English is the main language then its expected that you speak English...so I still dont get your point... :devil:

Have you ever experienced an interview in Trinidad? 

If you speak in our "native english", that will probably decrease your chances significantly of getting a job in any decent sized firm.

I think that's his point  :beermug:

Offline Pro-Jayz

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2007, 10:58:33 PM »

Yes I agree that if you go for a job in a country where English is the main language then its expected that you speak English...so I still dont get your point... :devil:

If you speak in our "native english", that will probably decrease your chances significantly of getting a job in any decent sized firm.

Now I know you did not read the entire thread ...(because am going to repeat what I've been saying all through this thread).....I know its like that in T&T because the authorities classify English as our main language...which is sad because we have our unique native tongue...Now the authorities will say our native tongue should never be used in a formal setting because the authorities still have that colonised mentality...They think the foreign system is the best and are reluctant to develop our own system...If we had established our native tongue (language) as our main language years ago therefore our native tongue will have been used in formal setting today ...and now we will not be scornful to use our native tongue in a formal setting because it would have been something natural by now...In india they use Hindi (their main language) in their formal settings although most indians know how to speak English because is English is taught at a very young age in schools ..but they are patriotic about their culture and lifestyle (which includes the way they speak).You can use Haiti as  another example.T&T is still hanging on to that saying "we was last colonised by an English country so English will remain our main language and will always be used by the media and formal settings"...now after so many years of having this hypocrite identity its difficult for us to vision the transition of establishing our native tongue as our first and main language...and it seems we care alot about what other countries will think of us if we were to adapt our native tongue and classify it as ah official language...what can I say we living in a copy cat nation  :-\
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 11:26:29 PM by problemjaydeess »

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2007, 11:35:01 PM »

well Licks and trini madness when i said something along those same lines...ah get put in meh place, and ah hush up
and is only cause ah in ah reaaaaaaal good mood up to dis hour, me aint answer back yet.

i'm being open minded bout what problemjay trying to say

so Trinidadians and Tobagoians should have a native tongue...okay i hear ya
now, Tobagoians sound different to Trinidiadians....you would know who is the Tobagoian in the group
there are some Trinis that sound different to other Trinis, according to where they live....ah lie ?
and if you want me to spell it out for ya... in western Trinidad compared to deep south or east....you would know who from where.

right

Maybe the older heads could explain this to me....and if ah offend anybody by saying "older" heads, its really ah compliment.
if ya vex, froth.

Anyway, can Patois/Patwa be considered a native tongue ?? From what i understand back in the 40s-60s it was the "language" of choice. And i'm using was because its no longer spoken in TnT.

Languages spoken in TnT: English (official), Hindi, French, Spanish, Chinese, Patwa (less than 3%)

now they didn't say standard english, they said english
now it could be bad english, which, if you look at it, could be our native tongue (language)
so problemjay we have it already... ;D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 12:23:11 AM by Rookmin V. Maharaj »

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2007, 06:55:15 AM »

...and what de hell yuh mean explain or define this "language" am talking about!! like YUH doh know how tuh speak yuh native tongue!!(language)...a

..Now you are one of the people who believe what the average Trinbagonian speak in Trinbago is the English language..but I know that's not true...yuh living in denial

Problem Jay Dees I asking you a simple question to understand where you coming from.

What is my native tongue?...yes we speak English in Trinidad but I still trying to come to grips with what you trying to say.

I not trying to shit you up in any way I am trying to understand what you saying. I have read all your posts and up to now you have not even given me an example of your language as you would like to identify it.

Are you trying to validate the slang which is used today as a language....to make it acceptable when dealing with outsiders?

Bear with me I lil slow.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2007, 08:41:58 AM »

You have to rely on research and the definition of a language to determine if we speak something other than English....not your judgment or feeling.

Tell me why it shouldn't have 204 different native languages in the world then?  On what basis you defining a language and how does that compare to the accepted definition?

I just interested to know who is this "authority" you keep talking about like is them who decide we hadda speak English and not the public themselves.  Take a poll around the country and I guarantee it will show it have nothing to do with the "authorities" but the good sense of the people. (u cud call them colonial subjects (mentally) if you want)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dialect dilemma
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2011, 07:06:38 PM »
Dialect dilemma
BBC Caribbean

There's renewed debate in the Caribbean - some might say that in never ended - on the place of Caribbean dialects, Creole, Patois or 'native languages' as some refer to them.

At issue is their acceptance, and in the case of the English-speaking Caribbean, their place in an environment dominated by the English language in education and commerce.

A group of experts have signed a Charter for Language Rights and Policy for the Creole-speaking Caribbean, coming out of which are plans for a Regional Council of Language Policy and Rights.

This policy document is to be presented to regional governments as well to Caricom and the United Nations Education and Cultural Organisation (Unesco) for adoption.

This issue continues to divide opinion.

In some countries in the Caribbean the local Creole is taught, while in some other circles it’s frowned on.

So what do you think?
What should be the role and place of Creole or Patois in Caribbean society?
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2011, 09:39:58 PM »
Sorry I missed this before, well actually no, I am glad, but let me give this a try:

My Drive to Work Today (English)

I woke up extremely exhausted this morning after having a rough night with our new born.  Nonetheless, after having breakfast I decided to go to work (we have had some layoffs recently so not taking any chances).  Of course there was still much snow on the ground, so my average 45 minute commute took the better part of an hour and 15 minutes.  Arrived a little after 9 and started on the day's activities.  To my great surprised found very few people at the office, apparently I was the only stupid one who decided to come in today.  What do they say about being one of the chosen ones?  To add insult to injury, our site had some power difficulties and shut down after lunch, imagine that, I could have had a 3-day weekend

On the way to the plantation (Trinbagonian)

Fadder know, ah wake up tired fuh so, meh pickney keep me up all nite last nite.  Well, I not playin wid bablyon so inspite of all dis God forsaken snow ah tell mehself I will fire de wuk, not de odder way around.  After having meh lipton and crix and cheese, ah buss out, not gunnin it like normal, snow nah, cyar take dat chance.  Pull in de office normal normal after 9...dread, nobody else dey but me, ah feel like a shillin, cyar lie.  Anyway, ah tell mehself, Gopaul luck is not Seepaul luck, so stick around knock out plenty.  Well, eh, yuh believe after ah check out de warriors site fuh 2 hrs right around at 11AM current gone?  Ah tell mehself, nah, dis eh my day, ah mean, Con Ed come like TTEC
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

1]; } ?>