April 19, 2024, 06:17:29 PM

Author Topic: Dis knighting ting!  (Read 2815 times)

Offline Pro-Jayz

• Sr. Warrior
  • Is ah long time since ah went Gulf City!
    • View Profile
Dis knighting ting!
« on: April 29, 2007, 07:12:27 AM »
Why do some Trinbagonians still request that our national heroes be knighted by the Queen of England when T&T already have our highest medals of honour established since the 1960's?...(for example some people are requesting that Brian Lara be knighted by the Queen of England)..Now I do admire the entire knighting of the Queen process but I believe our highest medal of honour is more significant than anything that any other country can give us...The last time I checked we replace the Queen with a our President since 1976 and since 1970 T&T was a REPUBLIC....some islands still have the Queen as their Head of State so I understand the Head of their states knighting their heroes but how does T&T fall into that category?..Trinbagonians need to let go of this "colonised" mentality and learn how to admire our own establishments..I hear soem people in T&T (especially the older generations) talk about  "how great it woul be for our national heroes to be knighted by the Queen of England" ...sowhat the hell does that mean!!..Steupse...We broke off all those type of ties with them a long time ago!!

Not because we were once a British colony or because we are a member of the commonwealth means that we should consider the knighting honour (which is a foreign and not national honour) higher than our own genuine honours..America (who was colonised by the british) could care less about that entire knighting ordeal because they believe their own honours that are given to their heroes are more signficant than what a foreign nation can give to an American hero..but in T&T we see other countries honours as more significant than ours..Is it because we have a lack of patriotism?.....So the Trinabagonians who beleieve that our national heroes should be knighted by the Queen of England...please explain why?
only born in Santa Cruz BUT RAISED IN SAN FERNANDO..so dont get tied up!...I FROM SOUTH!

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
Re: Dis knighting ting!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 08:14:14 AM »
i personally think that carrying "Sir" have more clout or have more standing that lets say "Trinity Cross"
mustbe only people in the Cariibean know what a Trinity Cross is.
Maybe wehn T&T get 2020 status things go change and everybody go know we lol
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 10:50:45 AM »

How many people know the knighting process?

I didn't even know it is us who request these things...I thought the Queen used to decide who they wanted to knight on their own.

I'm not even sure the American media uses the title when talking about knighted people...not sure.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 10:53:51 AM »
Recently when South Africa posthumously gave an award to Dr. Eric Williams, I was asking myself why he was never Knighted?
Anyone have any Idea?
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 11:05:50 AM »

I didn't even know it is us who request these things...I thought the Queen used to decide who they wanted to knight on their own.

I'm not even sure the American media uses the title when talking about knighted people...not sure.
ah think they does choose to conveniently ignore it
even in sports..how much time yuh does here they call Sir Alex Ferguson.."Sir Alex"..they is make it sound like they went to school with de blasted man

on the other hand i think the Queen watering down she standards..seems like eveybody nowadays is ah "Sir" or "Lord"
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 11:42:13 AM »

ah think they does choose to conveniently ignore it
even in sports..how much time yuh does here they call Sir Alex Ferguson.."Sir Alex"..they is make it sound like they went to school with de blasted man

on the other hand i think the Queen watering down she standards..seems like eveybody nowadays is ah "Sir" or "Lord"

dat is TRUTE. look how these sirs and lords getting arrested and charged. up here we used to have a fella: Sir conrad black. he buss style and give up he canadian passport saying he a british subject to get into the upper house. now they charge he arse with some underhanded dealings and he come back looking for that passport he throw away. he not the only one either.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 11:52:43 AM »
dat is TRUTE. look how these sirs and lords getting arrested and charged. up here we used to have a fella: Sir conrad black. he buss style and give up he canadian passport saying he a british subject to get into the upper house. now they charge he arse with some underhanded dealings and he come back looking for that passport he throw away. he not the only one either.
I think he bought dat title  ;D ;D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conrad_Black
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_peer
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 11:54:56 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 01:16:31 PM »

in the naipaul thread I purposely ommitted the Sir part.  TI tried to correct but I left it alone cuz I figure it wasn't the place to argue it.  I really interested to know how this concept supposed to work.

Anybody other than the English is knight people or give them some title?  And they ever knight(or whatever) a woman?

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 01:49:13 PM »

in the naipaul thread I purposely ommitted the Sir part.  TI tried to correct but I left it alone cuz I figure it wasn't the place to argue it.  I really interested to know how this concept supposed to work.

Anybody other than the English is knight people or give them some title?  And they ever knight(or whatever) a woman?
like Lady Iron Lady?

check here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Thatcher#Titles_and_honours
and here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Garter
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 03:23:20 PM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 03:50:00 PM »
i personally think that carrying "Sir" have more clout or have more standing that lets say "Trinity Cross"

If you aren't from a country where the Queen is head of state, you can't be knighted.

You can only obtain an 'honorary' knighthood (eg. Bono or Rudy Giuliani), which does not entitle you to be called Sir.

So Lara go hadda stick wid Prince of Port of Spain  :beermug:

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 07:04:40 PM »
Recently when South Africa posthumously gave an award to Dr. Eric Williams, I was asking myself why he was never Knighted?
Anyone have any Idea?

1. Why would he be? Seems like he already had a title to recognize his achievements

2. Why would he or we want him to be? Again, he already has a significant title.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 08:10:46 PM »
I feel is the ancient sword she does touch ppl shoulders wit dat botherin allyuh ..I bet if de queen replace the sword with ah swiper or ah 3 line,,Trinis go be more receptive to the idea
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2007, 09:13:18 PM »
I think he bought dat title  ;D ;D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conrad_Black
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_peer

yuh know, i didn't even know about life peerages all. thanks for the links. like some real money change hands with this thing.

Offline Pro-Jayz

• Sr. Warrior
  • Is ah long time since ah went Gulf City!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 08:07:45 AM »
mustbe only people in the Cariibean know what a Trinity Cross is.
Maybe wehn T&T get 2020 status things go change and everybody go know we lol

But that's my point!!...Trinbagonians should not wait until our own national awards become famous around the world then to acknowledge it as the best awards that can be given to our national heroes...Why cant we as Trinabagonians believe that our "Trinity Cross" (if that's stil its name) is more significant than the Queen Knighting our national heroes?..The Queen is nuthhin to we since 1976 but yet we request for our national heroes to be knighted...Yuh think America care bout dat Knighting nonsense!...India wa colonised by England for a long time but dem nuh care bout dat knighting business either!!...It's a colonised mentality that some Trinbagonians still have which makes them believe that the foreign systems and procedures are more significant than our own systems and pocedures that we have developed and should feel proud of....
only born in Santa Cruz BUT RAISED IN SAN FERNANDO..so dont get tied up!...I FROM SOUTH!

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 08:45:28 AM »
lara have de promenade what else he want?
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2007, 11:32:26 AM »
yet we request for our national heroes to be knighted.

Who have we requested to be knighted...i talking about the "authorities".

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2007, 12:13:17 PM »

Americans is say Sir Paul Mc Cartny and Sir Richard Branson and Sir Compre.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2007, 12:46:48 PM »

Somebody rest a sword on yuh shoulder Sir Compre?

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2007, 01:41:17 PM »
ouch  ;D ,don't forget about Sir Mixalot ,he's american.

1]; } ?>