March 29, 2024, 04:05:18 AM

Author Topic: Calypsonian Chalkdust delights audience  (Read 2979 times)

Offline Pro-Jayz

• Sr. Warrior
  • Is ah long time since ah went Gulf City!
    • View Profile
Calypsonian Chalkdust delights audience
« on: May 01, 2007, 11:55:25 AM »
http://www.caymannetnews.com/cgi-script/csArticles/articles/000141/014160.htm

Chalkdust delights audience at Harquail Theatre

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Chalkdust used a combination of spoken and musical techniques while delivering the CNCF 2007 Cayfest Distinguished Lecture.

“Calypso – The Definitive Art for Caribbean Unity” was the topic of his presentation during the Cayman National Cultural Foundation (CNCF) 2007 Cayfest Distinguished Lecture held last week.

Through a combination of music and conversation, he explained how the musical art form of calypso has helped towards the goal of Caribbean unity. Dr Liverpool, known as Chalkdust in the calypso world, is a world-renowned Trinidad & Tobago calypsonian, historian and university professor.

During his presentation he covered a wide-range of topics but that of calypso played an integral part. He described it as an editorial in song and an art form that captures our history in the Caribbean.
In relation to regional integration, Dr Liverpool mentioned some negative and positive attempts.

One negative area was insularity, described as the cause, to a certain extent, of the downfall of the West Indies Federation.

The issue of differing monetary values was also mentioned. Dr Liverpool said it can be a cause of confusion and also highlighted the fact some people feel they are better off because the currency in their country is valued more than that of other territories.

He lamented that it took the ICC Cricket World Cup 2007 to get some Caribbean countries to ease travel restrictions. He mentioned how Americans used to whizz though immigration at Caribbean airports without having to present a passport while West Indians needed passports to travel within their own region.

Dr Liverpool also spoke about some positive efforts to regional integration. Some of those mentioned included CXC, CARIFTA, CARIFESTA and CARICOM – bolstered by CSME.

Even with all of these initiatives, Dr Liverpool said it is a musical art form that leads the way towards regional integration. “Of all the agents vying to bring about regional integration none can be as defining as our calypso.”

He described it as a form of creolized rhythm in the Caribbean and said calypso music in carnival touches a special nerve in people.

Dr Liverpool said that over the years more and more calypso tunes have been recorded and there are songs that are deemed ‘Caribbean songs’ and are not necessarily associated to have originated from one country or another.

“To me David Rudder’s ‘Rally Round the West Indies’ is the anthem of the region,” he commented.

He also highlighted that Trinidad used to be known as the centre of carnival but today carnival exists in most Islands.

According to Dr Liverpool, carnival celebrations are so important that some countries have shifted dates to accommodate people traveling to participate in the festivities.

To underscore the importance of carnival in the twin island republic of Trinidad and Tobago he said that after oil and gas, carnival is Trinidad’s biggest revenue earner.

“Without calypso there is no carnival,” he said. “Music appeals to our senses, it as a medium of celebration.”

The sport of cricket being an important tool towards regional integration was also highlighted in Dr Liverpool’s presentation. He told his audience that throughout the years there have been many calypsos written about the sport.

During his presentation he sang a verse or two of several well-known calypsos, giving the audience a taste of the art form and highlighting various points he’d made.

Chalkdust quipped, “You think Shakespeare could write that?” after singing a verse of a calypso song, which highlighted the creativity and use of language in the musical recording.

Some of the song samples he gave were Federation by Sparrow and the self-penned Sea, Water and Sand.

“Calypso records history and servers to remind us of our common background,’ he explained. “Calypso has helped to bring the Caribbean close together.”

After Dr Liverpool’s presentation, Artistic Director of the CNCF, Henry Muttoo thanked the Ministry, board and sponsors – Office of the Complaints Commissioner and Cable & Wireless – for their help in making the event a success.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 11:58:44 AM by problemjay »
only born in Santa Cruz BUT RAISED IN SAN FERNANDO..so dont get tied up!...I FROM SOUTH!

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
Re: Calypsonian Chalkdust delights audience
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 12:25:10 PM »
the comparison with shakespeare is revealing. there is a standard of literary criticism that has been around for decades to which "good" literature can be determined.  one of the standards for literature is whether the work develops basic themes (good vs. evil, etc.). is calypso literature? chalkdust seriously comparing shakespeare to "rally round the west indies" in literary terms? steups.

what are the standards to which calypso should be held?

Offline Pro-Jayz

• Sr. Warrior
  • Is ah long time since ah went Gulf City!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 08:22:35 AM »
the comparison with shakespeare is revealing. there is a standard of literary criticism that has been around for decades to which "good" literature can be determined.  one of the standards for literature is whether the work develops basic themes (good vs. evil, etc.). is calypso literature? chalkdust seriously comparing shakespeare to "rally round the west indies" in literary terms? steups.

what are the standards to which calypso should be held?

You took the words right out my mouth
only born in Santa Cruz BUT RAISED IN SAN FERNANDO..so dont get tied up!...I FROM SOUTH!

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 12:43:46 PM »
my take on the History of Calypso has all been to expose the bad in society and/or to make comment on the actions of those within society. It is what some call social commentary.

the first calypsos were as follows
"Calypso rhythms can be traced back to the arrival of the first African slaves brought to work in the sugar plantations of Trinidad. Forbidden to talk to each other, and robbed of all links to family and home, the African slaves began to sing songs. They used calypso, which can be traced back to West African kaiso, as a means of communication and to mock the slave masters. "
"This multi-colonial past has greatly impacted the development of calypso in Trinidad. Many early calypsos were sung in a French-Creole dialect called patois ("pat-was"). These songs, usually led by one individual called a griot, helped to unite the slaves."

Then they changed
"Calypso typically involves social commentary, oftentimes laced with humorous satire on current events. Calypso is the voice of social conscience. However, not all calypsos are socially conscious  calypso has always had its risqué side too. "
http://caribplanet.homestead.com/101.htmlhttp://caribplanet.homestead.com/101.html

and here is another quote
"Over 100 years ago, calypso further evolved into a way of spreading news around Trinidad. Politicians, journalists, and public figures often debated the content of each song, and many islanders considered these songs the most reliable news source. Calypsonians pushed the boundaries of free speech as their lyrics spread news of any topic relevant to island life, including speaking out against political corruption. Eventually British rule enforced censorship and police began to scan these songs for damaging content. Even with this censorship, calypsos continued to push boundaries."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calypso_music

I believe that people use Shakespare's works as a starting point to make studies about personal interactions and comments about society.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 12:54:45 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 08:42:40 PM »
oh gosh i shoulda post this earlier.  right now on wack they featuring chalkie. in fact right now they playing his tune called "bandit factory".  the man is real class.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 08:44:13 PM »
oh gosh i shoulda post this earlier.  right now on wack they featuring chalkie. in fact right now they playing his tune called "bandit factory".  the man is real class.
yes man i taking it in
zulu also..
i was jus saying i wanted a copy ah this song..
i real like it
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

1]; } ?>