April 24, 2024, 02:22:40 AM

Author Topic: Caledonia beat Joe Public, Spann saves Connection.  (Read 7964 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Caledonia beat Joe Public, Spann saves Connection.
« on: May 02, 2007, 05:13:37 AM »
Caledonia beat Joe Public, Spann saves Connection.
By: Ian Prescott (Express).
[/size]

Marvin Oliver had the distinction of being the first player to score on the new $8m artificial surface at the Marvin Lee Stadium yesterday when his 90th minute goal gave Neal & Massy Caledonia AIA a 1-0 victory over their hosts b-mobile Joe Public in the T&T Pro League.
Caledonia played with a man short from the 43rd minute when Guyanese midfielder Shawn Bishop was sent off by referee Lee Davis after picking up a second yellow card. But their defence never looked likely to crack against Joe Public and after a meandering run by Devon Millington, the ball was slipped wide on the left flank to Oliver, who scored the winner by hitting a low shot past keeper Alejandro Figueroa and into the Public goal.
With the victory, Caledonia drew level with defending champions Joe Public at the top of the Pro League table. Both teams have ten points after three victories, a draw and a single loss this season.
It's a pity that yesterday's clash only picked up in the final quarter-hour because the pitch they played on was in absolutely immaculate condition.
As expected, there was a good turn-out, but for long periods the football was not as smooth as the surface it was played on and neither team showed the ambition to win until the dying stages. However, Nigel Codrington, the Guyanese striker, did test Joe Public's Colombian keeper with a low, scorching shot near the end of the first half.
Joe Public had a few moments as well early in the second half when Arnold Dwarika met a corner-kick with a downward header which AIA's Stephan David cleared as it was about to go into the goal. And Joe Public striker Gary Glasgow lined up a shot on goal from close in, but was stopped by a crisp tackle from stopper Charles Pollard, the recently-retired Guyana national team captain.
Caledonia played tight defence once they lost Bishop and rasta-haired Oliver came in for several heavy tackles when they went forward, including a vicious slide which earned Dwarika a yellow card. But, the one time Oliver was given some space, he was able to ghost up the left flank onto a through ball, take one step to goal, and put the ball past keeper Figueroa to send the Caledonia fans into a frenzy.
In another Pro League games yesterday, it took a Silvio Spann goal deep into time-added-on at the Hasely Crawford Stadium for Vibe CT105 W Connection to rescue a 2-2 draw with Superstar Rangers, who are turning out to be the surprise of the season.
At the end, Rangers were visibly upset by the four minutes referee Ishmael Mahabir added on. After a goalless first half, Andre Toussaint gave the South team a 1-0 lead in the 50th minute. But striker Errol McFarlane quickly turned things around with two goals (73rd & 81st) to take his season's tally to eight in five matches. At 2-1 Rangers looked certain to get three points, until Spann's late strike. Newcomers Police FC earned a hard fought 2-0 victory over winless Tobago United. A game in which the Police team gave up home advantage because of the inability of the Tobago team to get flights out to Tobago, because of the heavy after Jazz Festival traffic out of the island. South team United Petrotrin ease pass North East Stars 2-0 and San Juan Jabloteh slip through a determined 'Army' outfit 1-0.

Joe Public: - Alejandro Figueroa, Anthony Noreiga, Carey Harris, Dale Saunders (capt), Kayode McKinnon, Abassi McPherson, Kerry Baptiste (Sean Copper), Seon Power, Gregory Richardson (Dexter Thornhill), Arnold Dwarika, Gary Glasgow.

Caledonia AIA: - Richard Reynolds, Leslie Holligan, Charles Pollard, Sheldon Emmanuel (capt), Walter Moore, Stephan David, Marvin Oliver, Shawn Bishop, Dwight Peters (Hayden Tinto), Nigel Codrington (Devon Millington), Kareem Joseph (Densill Theobald).

W Connection: - Jan-Michael Williams, Elijah Joseph, Clyde Leon, Nickcolson Thomas, Hughton Hector (Silvio Spann), Andrei Pacheco, Douglas DaCosta, Christian Viveros, Earl Jean (capt) (Shane Calderon), Andre Toussaint.

Superstar Rangers: - Jhony Ortiz, Leeben McGregor (Shem McFarlane), Dean Pacheco, Kerwyn Jemmott, Marc Borde, Todd Ryan, Milton Gomez, Christian Thomas (Devon Modeste), Marvin James (Michael Brown), Joseph Peters, Errol McFarlane.

Full Results

Joe Public 0 v Caledonia AIA 1 (Marvin Oliver 90)

Superstar Rangers 2 (Errol McFarlane 73, 84) v W Connection 2 (Andre Toussaint 50, Silvio Spann 90)

Defence Force 0 v San Juan Jabloteh 1 (Dwayne Jack 23)

United Petrotrin 2 (Romauld Aguillera 20, Jerol Forbes 34) v North East Stars 0

Police F.C 2 (Kenwin Matthew 11, Christopher Sam 57) v Tobago United 0
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 05:27:38 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
Re: Caledonia beat Joe Public, Spann saves Connection.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 05:18:58 AM »
Yeah I read this on the pro league site. I never saw him play but there must be something special about him that every National Coach wants him injured or not
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Kingk

• Hero Warrior
  • Warriors 4ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 06:31:42 AM »
when will Tobago win a game  :-\

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 06:43:29 AM »
Caledonia, Petrotrin and Rangers doing pretty decent !!!!! hope they keep it up and put pressure on Jabloteh, Joe Public and W Connection.

Glad to see the gap has closen between teams in T&T except Tobago United who is pure tata..... even Police doing before that Tobago....
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 06:47:34 AM »
Theobald benching for Caledonia and they winning. Anybody know if he was injured or because he busy with national team duties or if he just cah make the starting team?

I mean, I understand if he on the bench cause he's a ''in-between'' player now where he is neither an dattacking midfielder or a defensive midfielder so he not really addign value to a team. He need to study Pirlo and learn to become a deep lying playmaker or something cause right now, he is neither playmaker nor holding midfielder.

On another note, Errol McFarlane deserve a chance with this national team, I mean, he is the man who get us into the Hex in the first place by saving us against St. Vincent and St. kitts. Hector Sam too...he not on strike, right?
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 06:49:52 AM »
Caledonia have 7 foreigners starting for them...

Theobald coming off an injury.

W Connection feel they could play a young team and still win, they better not sell all they good players and then embarrass we in de concacaf cup later this year.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 06:53:12 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Israel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 06:52:00 AM »
It seems as though the league is a lot more competitive this year. No team appears to dominate so far. This is good for local football.
If a rasta in a coma, is he still conscious?

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 06:57:40 AM »
Is either dey getting better or everybody drop dey standards and get worst. ;D
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline black chinee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 07:45:02 AM »
yeh... leh we go Cali ;D ;D ;D

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
History repeats itself....Cali tops Joe Public
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 10:20:52 AM »
Caledonia beat Joe Public
Ian Prescott iprescott@trinidadexpress.com

Marvin Oliver had the distinction of being the first player to score on the new $8m artificial surface at the Marvin Lee Stadium yesterday when his 90th minute goal gave Neal & Massy Caledonia AIA a 1-0 victory over their hosts b-mobile Joe Public in the T&T Pro League.

Caledonia played with a man short from the 43rd minute when Guyanese midfielder Shawn Bishop was sent off by referee Lee Davis after picking up a second yellow card. But their defence never looked likely to crack against Joe Public and after a meandering run by Devon Millington, the ball was slipped wide on the left flank to Oliver, who scored the winner by hitting a low shot past keeper Alexandro Figueroa and into the Public goal.

With the victory, Caledonia drew level with defending champions Joe Public at the top of the Pro League table. Both teams have ten points after three victories, a draw and a single loss this season.

It's a pity that yesterday's clash only picked up in the final quarter-hour because the pitch they played on was in absolutely immaculate condition.

As expected, there was a good turn-out, but for long periods the football was not as smooth as the surface it was played on and neither team showed the ambition to win until the dying stages. However, Nigel Codrington, the Guyanese striker, did test Joe Public's Colombian keeper with a low, scorching shot near the end of the first half.

Joe Public had a few moments as well early in the second half when Arnold Dwarika met a corner-kick with a downward header which AIA's Stephan David cleared as it was about to go into the goal. And Joe Public striker Gary Glasgow lined up a shot on goal from close in, but was stopped by a crisp tackle from stopper Charles Pollard, the recently-retired Guyana national team captain.

Caledonia played tight defence once they lost Bishop and rasta-haired Oliver came in for several heavy tackles when they went forward, including a vicious slide which earned Dwarika a yellow card. But, the one time Oliver was given some space, he was able to ghost up the left flank onto a through ball, take one step to goal, and put the ball past keeper Figueroa to send the Caledonia fans into a frenzy.

In another Pro League game yesterday, it took a Silvio Spann goal deep into time-added-on at the Hasely Crawford Stadium for Vibe CT105 W Connection to rescue a 2-2 draw with Superstar Rangers, who are turning out to be the surprise of the season.

At the end, Rangers were visibly upset by the four minutes referee Ishmael Mahabir added on. After a goalless first half, Andre Toussaint gave the South team a 1-0 lead in the 50th minute. But striker Errol McFarlane quickly turned things around with two goals (&4th & 84th) to take his season's tally to eight in five matches.

At 2-1 Rangers looked certain to get three points, until Spann's late strike.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 10:32:13 AM »
Nice goin silvio since me mum on the blacklist we need u more now.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 10:47:36 AM »
Who is dat 'keeper dat Jabloteh have?!?!  I wasn't able to hear it over the PA and I "heard" it was Duarance Williams.  Jan need to take a backseat on de national team to this fella!!  I watch the man for the first few attempts that Defence Force had against him and I looked over to my peeps and said: "Defence Force ain't scoring on this fella tonight."  so said, so done!  The man is very, very good.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 11:01:48 AM »
Congrats to all the winning teams  :beermug: ..especially AIA over Public..dat victory must have been sweet  ;D

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 03:21:26 PM »
spidey....have you seen the size of errol mcfarlane???.....but de fella could sore goals
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Jay10

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 03:30:55 PM »
Who is dat 'keeper dat Jabloteh have?!?!  I wasn't able to hear it over the PA and I "heard" it was Duarance Williams.  Jan need to take a backseat on de national team to this fella!!  I watch the man for the first few attempts that Defence Force had against him and I looked over to my peeps and said: "Defence Force ain't scoring on this fella tonight."  so said, so done!  The man is very, very good.

cant agree with you dey at all........while he may look good sometimes....he is very very inconsistent. that is the reason why he is not on the National team....

dis man does get some real shit goals.....he didnt start dat much 4 jab last season also...

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 05:23:13 PM »
Anybody went de Cali game? I want to get a feedback on de midfield show down between Dawrika vs Oliver. Dat had to be something special. I even hear oliver get a bad man tackle from dawrika. Trut be told I just happy dawrika tacklin in de first place. De frst team go have to come good because it have man in de wings. Mc Farlene, Spaan, Toussaint, Oliver, Dawrika, etc...
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline banton

• Hero Warrior
  • football in meh veins football in meh blood
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeWOxnWoXKI
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 07:25:28 PM »
nice to see spann scorin it will help with his confidence
football in meh veins football in meh blood

Offline Pro-Jayz

• Sr. Warrior
  • Is ah long time since ah went Gulf City!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2007, 02:18:40 PM »
Big Up to Cale for dat win over Public but I just waitin for Starworld strikers to get back in this league cause we comin back strong next year.... : :-X
only born in Santa Cruz BUT RAISED IN SAN FERNANDO..so dont get tied up!...I FROM SOUTH!

1]; } ?>