April 29, 2024, 08:54:21 AM

Author Topic: News from the Scottish league  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
News from the Scottish league
« on: May 03, 2007, 06:01:53 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_div_1/6612613.stm

Raith Rovers 0-0 Stirling Albion
SFL
Raith Rovers and Stirling Albion will go into Saturday's second leg of the First Division play-off all square.

Steven Bell fired wide, David O'Brien struck the post and David Bingham fired over with the goal gaping as Stirling dominated the first half.

Denis McLaughlin beat the offside trap but failed to capitalise and a Richard Campbell effort went wide as Rovers improved after the break.

Goalkeepers Chris Fahey and Myles Hogarth had good late saves.

Raith Rovers 0-0 Stirling Albion

Rovers' Fahey denied Stewart Devine a late winner and Hogarth blocked John Neil's long-range effort.

It meant there is all to play for at Forthbank Stadium on Saturday after a tense but absorbing goalless draw.

Raith: Fahey, Campbell, Andrews, Lumsden, Wilson, Ian Davidson (Bonar 71), Neill, Silvestro, Fotheringham, McManus, McLauchlim (Hislop 64).
Subs Not Used: Fairbairn, Pelosi, Currie.

Booked: Wilson.

Stirling: Hogarth, Hay, McNally, Nugent, Forsyth, Bell (Fraser 86), Aitken, Devine, O'Brien, Cramb, Bingham (Snodgrass 68).
Subs Not Used: Marek Tomana, Taggart, Christie.

Booked: Aitken.

Att: 3,043

Ref: D Somers

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/st_johnstone/6615979.stm

Coyle prepared for Scotland exit

St Johnstone manager Owen Coyle says he is hopeful of retaining the services of striker Jason Scotland but admits he faces a fight to keep him in Perth.

The Trinidad and Tobago international's contract is due to expire in August.

"Jason's a great player and I'd love to keep him here, we'll just have to wait and see what happens," Coyle said.

Scotland's agent, Michael Berry, has told BBC Sport that there is interest in the 26-goal striker both in Scotland and England.

Scotland scored for St Johnstone in Saturday's 4-3 victory over Hamilton but it was not enough to prevent Gretna clinching the championship.

Coyle announced on Tuesday that fellow forward Derek Lilley, keeper Bryn Halliwell and midfielder Neil Janczyk were all leaving the club in the summer.

Despite these changes, Coyle sees Scotland as an important part of his squad for next season but knows there is little he can do to prevent interest in the player.

"I'm not daft, I know how good a player he is and I'm sure there will be a lot of interest, but there's nothing I can do to stop that," he added.

Berry has revealed that an SPL club and one in English League One are keen on the 28-year-old forward.

Scotland spent two years at Dundee Utd - scoring 10 goals - before a Home Office decision denied him an extension to his work permit.

He was then snapped up by the McDiarmid Park side who had their application approved.

If he does move on elsewhere, he will require a new work permit.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_div_1/6582157.stm
McMenamin wins Division One prize

Gretna's Colin McMenamin is the Scottish Professional Footballers' Association player of the year in the First Division.

The striker leads the scoring charts with 24 goals in his first season with the Black & Whites.

He beat fellow forwards Mark Roberts of Partick Thistle and Jason Scotland of St Johnstone to the top prize.

St Johnstone defender Goran Stanic made up the list of nominees after a fine season with the Perth side.

Tough, he and Jason finish with the same 26 goals, but Jason score a lot more in the cup competitions. I can't believe they ent win a thing: 2 semi finals in cup competitions and second placed in the league on a last minute goal. Scotty pay he dues with the whole work permit thing, he could only grow from strength to strength imo... :-\
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

1]; } ?>