April 19, 2024, 04:39:00 AM

Author Topic: Touching base with kevin nelson  (Read 934 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Touching base with kevin nelson
« on: May 03, 2007, 07:51:44 AM »
TOUCHING BASE WITH KEVIN NELSON 
By: Shaun Fuentes

Tobago-born forward Kevin Nelson is currently back in Trinidad, joining W Connection and is now a professional player in the T&T Pro League. The former National Youth player is also hoping for a break on to the National Senior Team. Nelson has been attached to San Juan Jabloteh, Doc's Khelwalaas, South Melbourne FC in Australia and Caracas FC as well as Ottawa Wizards in Canada.  He also enjoyed success at the schoolboy level, winning the 1996 Intercol with Signal Hill SC.

He tells us about his experience in Australia, a stint with Sydney FC even before Dwight Yorke arrived at the club and his ambitions for the future.

So you had some playing time in Australia. You would have been the next T&T player there other than the big man Dwight Yorke. Recap the experience!

First Sydney FC invited me there because they were looking for a striker, this was even before the signing of Dwight. Then when they realized they were going to get Dwight . Coach Pierre Litbarski told me that was the case so I decided to leave.

Then I was invited by Adelaide United to replace an injured striker on a a short-term contract on the recommendation of Ian Crooky the assistant coach of Sydney and Agent Lou Sticca who initially started the whole process in getting  me to Australia via DVD footage. I stayed at the club for four months awaiting  a working visa but the Federation wouldn’t allow a shot-term working visa.  So then the agent and under another recommendation from ‘Crooky’ I got a contract with South  Melbourne in the First division on a long term working visa.

My experience in Australia will hold life long memories. I had the opportunity to train under coach Pierre Littbarski, former German World Cup winner and a respectable coach. Also assistant coach Ian Crooke who  played his career in England, and they were able to speak highly of me. I also trained under Adelaide United coach John Kosmania, former Australian International and Arsenal player. Its was also a blessing to live

and work in such a beautiful country such as Australia, where the people are so friendly ,warm, laidback and welcoming. I say thanks to

God.

In the First division, I helped South Melbourne to the Preseason Cup finals scoring 8 goals in 8 games. Also in my debut in the First Div League I

scored the winner in a 1-0 win.. And I also scored goals during the season, a total of 16. I had the chance to play with  New Zealand

International Striker and all time leading goal scorer Vaughn Coverney and Brazilian maestro Fernando Demoriez. I learnt a lot playing with these players.

So your ambitions now must have a high standard to it?

My ambitions is to one day secure a contract in Europe, Asia , Middle East, or South America. I also want to represent Trinidad and Tobago again. A call up for the Gold Cup will be ideal I have played for Trinidad and Tobago youth teams at every level before.

You are now at W Connection. Tell us about that.

I just signed for W Connection and I’m looking forward in helping them win titles and take the club to another level. I want to thank them for signing me and the players for being so welcoming.

So playing for T&T again is very much one of your aims?

I am still very much interested in representing the country. I have had that burning desire in me as a kid to play for the country. I visualize myself playing with the national team and I know one day my dreams will come true.

So while in Australia, Dwight would have known you were around?

Yes he was very much aware I was there. We chatted ever so often. Sydney also tried to sign me on a short-term contract to replace the  injured David Drillich at the time Dwight was there. But the short term got the red tape. He encouraged me to keep working hard at my game and sad that eventually it would pay off.  (May 2, 2007)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: Touching base with kevin nelson
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 08:35:29 AM »
"My ambitions is to one day secure a contract in Europe, Asia , Middle East, or South America. I also want to represent Trinidad and Tobago again. A call up for the Gold Cup will be ideal as I have played for Trinidad and Tobago youth teams at every level before. "
Good Luck there Mr Nelson
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Pro-Jayz

• Sr. Warrior
  • Is ah long time since ah went Gulf City!
    • View Profile
Re: Touching base with kevin nelson
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 05:10:08 PM »
Most likely he will have to prove himself in the Pro League before he gets called up for national duty
only born in Santa Cruz BUT RAISED IN SAN FERNANDO..so dont get tied up!...I FROM SOUTH!

1]; } ?>