March 28, 2024, 04:41:15 AM

Author Topic: Which European club had the best season?  (Read 2784 times)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Which European club had the best season?
« on: May 03, 2007, 03:28:49 PM »
Chelsea? - CL Semi Finalist.  English League Cup winners.  Likely EPL runners up.  English FA Cup Finalist

Milan? - CL Final.  3rd in Il Scudetto (with an 8 point handicap). Copa Italia Semi Finalist

Roma? - CL 1/4 Finalist.  2nd in Il Scudetto.  Copa Italia Finalist

Man U? - CL Semi Finalist.  Likely EPL Winners.  English FA Cup Finalist

Inter? - Il Scudetto winners.  Copa Italia Finalist

Liverpool? - Maybe 3rd in EPL.  CL Finalist.

FC Sevilla? - Possible La Liga Champions.  UEFA Cup Finalist.  Likely Copa Del Rey Finalist.

Barcelona? - Possible La Liga Champions.  Likely Copa Del Rey Finalist.

Sunderland? - Possible English Championship Division winners.  Promoted to EPL.  ;D ;D
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Which European club had the best season?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 04:07:19 PM »
u jumping the gun. season not done yet

can't decide until all the silverware is won

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 04:15:16 PM »

Chelsea takes it no matter what happens elsewhere.

And I'm not a Chelsea fan.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 04:24:12 PM »

how did you come to that conclusion. Sorry, but if Chelsea only win the Carling Cup, there is no way they would have had a better season than ManU, if ManU wins the EPL and the FA Cup (for example). Even Liverpool fans and players will be more happy if they win the UEFA CL and Chelsea only win the Carling Cup. What if Sevilla wins La Liga, wins the UEFA Cup and wins the Copa Del Rey and Chelsea only wins the carling Cup...you're having a laugh if you still think Chelsea had a better season than that. You have to wait and see who actually wins silverware to decide. Being a losing finalist, or making it to the semis, or outperforming expectations are only tie-breakers for teams that have won more or less equal silverware...or for smaller modest teams. But for the big teams you call there...winning equals success

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 04:28:57 PM »

chelsea  ??? i do not agree
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 04:38:05 PM »
Palos the best season will have everything to do with expectations.

If you talking wins and losses and most games played then it is Chelsea. The Carling Cup assures that but they will not consider this season better than last year if they do not win the league and get knocked out of Europe by Liverpool again.

Milan will be happy to just survive this year and if they win the CL they will probably have the best becaus ethey had very low expectations coming in.

United is having best year because there is the chance of winning the league for the first time in four years and doing the double for the first time in 7 years.

At the end of the day each club that wins their "Big One" it waill be the best season, for Sunderland that is promotion so yuh can't really compare.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 04:55:56 PM »

If you talking wins and losses and most games played then it is Chelsea. The Carling Cup assures that but they will not consider this season better than last year if they do not win the league and get knocked out of Europe by Liverpool again.

Milan will be happy to just survive this year and if they win the CL they will probably have the best becaus ethey had very low expectations coming in.

United is having best year because there is the chance of winning the league for the first time in four years and doing the double for the first time in 7 years.

At the end of the day each club that wins their "Big One" it waill be the best season, for Sunderland that is promotion so yuh can't really compare.

Looking at it from a global perspective (not global literally), Chelsea has played the most matches and has been in the final of every competition they've entered bar CL when they were knocked out of it after extra time penalties.  They're still in it mathematically in the EPL race.  They've had significant injuries throughout the season and many are saying this is a poor season for them just because they may not regain the EPL title.  Massive respect to them because I don't think a club has done what they have for a long time.  Man U's treble was "better".....but that year...they didn't do well in the Carling Cup.   To me, given where they are this season, Chelsea have done remarkably well with a squad that hasn't been 100% for a very long time.  Testament and respect to them.

The other team that would rival Chelsea for me this season is Sevilla.  Look at the season they're having.  Amazing.....especially when you consider the giants they're up against.  People tend to dilute and overlook UEFA Cup but it's a quality competition and they are defending Champs and will be in the Final to defend their title.

I would put Man U 3rd.  They're having a tremendous season for them, especially one when at the beginning of the season where they didn't make many excursions into the transfer market, people's expectations (including some of their fans on this board) were much less than they eventually produced.  Kudos to them.

Those are the top 3 for me.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 04:58:03 PM by palos »

Offline Pro-Jayz

• Sr. Warrior
  • Is ah long time since ah went Gulf City!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 05:14:11 PM »
Another thread for the Man U haters to come write long paragraphs explaining their hate of the Red devils
only born in Santa Cruz BUT RAISED IN SAN FERNANDO..so dont get tied up!...I FROM SOUTH!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 05:14:53 PM »

Looking at it from a global perspective (not global literally), Chelsea has played the most matches and has been in the final of every competition they've entered bar CL when they were knocked out of it after extra time penalties.  They're still in it mathematically in the EPL race.  They've had significant injuries throughout the season and many are saying this is a poor season for them just because they may not regain the EPL title.  Massive respect to them because I don't think a club has done what they have for a long time.  Man U's treble was "better".....but that year...they didn't do well in the Carling Cup.   To me, given where they are this season, Chelsea have done remarkably well with a squad that hasn't been 100% for a very long time.  Testament and respect to them.

The other team that would rival Chelsea for me this season is Sevilla.  Look at the season they're having.  Amazing.....especially when you consider the giants they're up against.  People tend to dilute and overlook UEFA Cup but it's a quality competition and they are defending Champs and will be in the Final to defend their title.

I would put Man U 3rd.  They're having a tremendous season for them, especially one when at the beginning of the season where they didn't make many excursions into the transfer market, people's expectations (including some of their fans on this board) were much less than they eventually produced.  Kudos to them.

Those are the top 3 for me.

It all depends on what "best" season means.

For big teams I think best season means trophies. From that perspective, Chelsea would not consider themselves having had a great season if the Carling Cup is all they end up with....

If Man U takes the local double, it would be hard to argue that Chelsea had a better season than them...no matter how many games they played, injuries they sustained etc etc.....- Chelsea fans, players & coaches would trade the carling cup for the FA & League double anyday...

I agree with whoever says it's premature to determine at this point who' s had the best season. Chelsea is def in the running though...and so is Man U, Sevilla, Barcelona...etc...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 07:30:42 PM »
well..'best season' is open to different interpretations..and I understand fully where Palos and everyone else is coming from. There is no correct answer...But like kicker said, big teams count trophies and consider all else failures.

I still believe that winning only the Carling Cup is not a good season for Chelsea no matter how many finals and semi-finals they make..no matter how many obstacles they overcome. For me, I am considering what a team expects of itself in the equation and I think every Chelsea player, Mourinho and Abramovic would consider the season a failure if that is all they won. Chelsea can salvage their season by winning the league and/or FA Cup. But if ManU win those two...they would have had the better season. You would be hard pressed to get the players, managers and the club owners to disagree. But we have to wait and see who wins what.

So far Sevilla is having the best season...they are still in the running to win EVERYTHING they could possibly win. There is no getting better than that. No other team in Europe can boast that.  Yet, Sevilla still has won nothing...so again we have to wait and see. But because they are a small team, they will gain more pride and joy from a close call...2nd place in La Liga for Sevilla will be greeted with far more joy than 2nd place in the EPL for Chelsea (IF that is how things end). Winning the UEFA Cup will be clebrated in the streets...Chelsea, however is bitterly disappointed at losing at the SF stage of the CL. Doesn't matter if it may have been harder to get where Chelsea got because they consider a failure

Somewhere it is a mixture of what you win , plus what you achieved given your resources and expectations. The first part has not yet been figured out..so we'll have to wait and see. Winning titles is still the most important part of the formula for big teams

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 07:52:59 PM »
all things considered, I vote Sunderland...then Sevilla, so far

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 08:12:36 PM »
well..'best season' is open to different interpretations..and I understand fully where Palos and everyone else is coming from. There is no correct answer...But like kicker said, big teams count trophies and consider all else failures.

I still believe that winning only the Carling Cup is not a good season for Chelsea no matter how many finals and semi-finals they make..no matter how many obstacles they overcome. For me, I am considering what a team expects of itself in the equation and I think every Chelsea player, Mourinho and Abramovic would consider the season a failure if that is all they won. Chelsea can salvage their season by winning the league and/or FA Cup. But if ManU win those two...they would have had the better season. You would be hard pressed to get the players, managers and the club owners to disagree. But we have to wait and see who wins what.

So far Sevilla is having the best season...they are still in the running to win EVERYTHING they could possibly win. There is no getting better than that. No other team in Europe can boast that.  Yet, Sevilla still has won nothing...so again we have to wait and see. But because they are a small team, they will gain more pride and joy from a close call...2nd place in La Liga for Sevilla will be greeted with far more joy than 2nd place in the EPL for Chelsea (IF that is how things end). Winning the UEFA Cup will be clebrated in the streets...Chelsea, however is bitterly disappointed at losing at the SF stage of the CL. Doesn't matter if it may have been harder to get where Chelsea got because they consider a failure

Somewhere it is a mixture of what you win , plus what you achieved given your resources and expectations. The first part has not yet been figured out..so we'll have to wait and see. Winning titles is still the most important part of the formula for big teams

ahem ...i believe sevilla beat barcelona to win the European super cup at the beginning of the season .... They already have silverware. I agree though that the seasonīs results will determine the best team ....and I must disagree with those who believe that number of games won has anything to do with that decision..... second place gets nothing at this level ....I would have thought the NAR analysis was dead and buried in T&T ..... no matter how many votes you received if you dont win the seat you have lost !

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 08:58:51 PM »

ahem ...i believe sevilla beat barcelona to win the European super cup at the beginning of the season .... They already have silverware. I agree though that the seasonīs results will determine the best team ....and I must disagree with those who believe that number of games won has anything to do with that decision..... second place gets nothing at this level ....I would have thought the NAR analysis was dead and buried in T&T ..... no matter how many votes you received if you dont win the seat you have lost !

very true...forgot about that. so add that to my point that they are having the best season...so far. Although to be honest, that game means very little. I suspect the participants just see that as final prep in their pre-season before the real action starts. By itself it would not define anyone's season, since it is over with before the season even really starts, and therefore is nothing more than a glorified pre season game..or a high profile opener to the European season. Both teams want to win it...but neither will lose any sleep if they lose it and they surely aren't defining their season by it. But when you counting all the marbles at the end of the day..it all gets added up.

Offline legal alien

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 09:14:01 PM »

eh eh...man u supposed to win everything this year. like someone tell me today, chelski spend so much money and look like they eh gettin no silverware.
 manu had a very good season.
 the closest might be a.c ,  who woulda win serie a if they didnt lose points as punishment.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 09:16:27 PM by legal alien »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 09:56:39 PM »

eh eh...man u supposed to win everything this year. like someone tell me today, chelski spend so much money and look like they eh gettin no silverware.
 the closest might be a.c ,  who woulda win serie a if they didnt lose points as punishment.

Breds, me eh know whey u learn u maths....

but Inter have 87 points from 34 games.  Dat is 87 out of a MAXIMUM of 102.

Milan have 59 points from 34 games.  Even if yuh add back een de 8 points Milan was docked at de beginnin of de season, dem would still only end up wit 67 points from 34 games.

Dey coulda give Milan triple dem points and dey would still end up wit less points dan Inter.

Milan is having a very good season all things considered.  But Inter walk away with Il Scudetto dis season.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2007, 07:35:54 AM »

Milan have 59 points from 34 games.  Even if yuh add back een de 8 points Milan was docked at de beginnin of de season, dem would still only end up wit 67 points from 34 games.

Dey coulda give Milan triple dem points and dey would still end up wit less points dan Inter.

Milan is having a very good season all things considered.  But Inter walk away with Il Scudetto dis season.

Doh study legal alien- he mus' be eh watch the Italian table fuh the season... ;D

I kinda wonder though what the psychological effects of Milan's 8 point handicap were though- because they were no where close to Milan-esque at the beginning of the season..they were uncharacteristically playing like a cellar dwelling team- can't help but think that the whole controversy & the point docking had more than an 8 point effect on Milan this season...

But you could argue about that til the end of time....and I can't take anything away from Inter this year, especially since they swept Milan this season.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2007, 09:34:27 AM »
Sevilla, Manchester Utd and Chelsea are my three picks.

Very good arguments from palos, but we still have to consider the expectations of each team.  Chelsea has done very well given the circumstances under which they had to perform but i think they didnt do anything that the board of directors of the club (roman) didnt expect.

Manutd and Sevilla, if you had offered them this position at the start of the season, i am sure that they would have accepted. 

Chelsea, on the other hand, might not have!!

ah love it!!

GO CHELSEA, CATCH THOSE REDS!!..........lol
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2007, 10:22:12 AM »

I doh think its just straight math. maybe without the matchfixing controversy and all the hoopla during Milan's pre-season they would not have started so poorly. I think the overall effect was more than just the 8 point deduction. At one time Milan was staring relegation and removal form the CL. In the end tho', there is no way to prove that, you just ahve to give Inter rspect for the way they mow down Serie A this rounds..even Milan at its best would have struggled to be that consistent.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 10:29:08 AM by Filho »

1]; } ?>