April 28, 2024, 09:59:22 AM

Author Topic: Cole fired up to deny Yorke  (Read 1549 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cole fired up to deny Yorke
« on: May 05, 2007, 10:54:01 AM »
Cole fired up to deny Yorke
Sunderland Echo

ANDY COLE would love to deny pal Dwight Yorke what could be the last medal of his career.

The former strike partners won the Champions League with Manchester United in 1999 – but are now on opposite sides of the Championship title battle.

If Yorke's Sunderland get a better result at Luton than Cole's Birmingham manage at Preston – the Black Cats will be champions.

And Cole insisted that, despite having won virtually every trophy in the game, he was still fired up for more silverware.

"I'd love to deprive Yorkie of a medal," said Cole. "I'm no different to anyone else. The physio said to me the other day it might be the last one you win in football, and he's right."

On paper, Birmingham have the tougher fixture with Preston hoping to keep their own promotion dreams alive by qualifying for the play-offs.
By contrast, Sunderland face a Luton side that has already been relegated.

But the Blues hitman said his side is fired up after confirming promotion with their dramatic 2-0 home win over Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.

Cole said: "A lot of lads who haven't achieved anything in their career will be definitely up for it.
"Preston will be tough because they are trying to get into the play-offs but if we can end the season winning five out of five and lift the Championship trophy, it would be fantastic."
Birmingham sealed their Premiership return despite being down to 10 men against the Owls, whose play-off aspirations died with that defeat.
Cole said Yorke was quickly in touch to wind up his mate.
"He phoned me and said 'your lot got hammered on Saturday' and I'm not going to lie, we did!" said the 35-year-old former Newcastle star.
"But we got the result and that's what happens in football."
Cole versus Yorke will not be the only duel between Old Trafford old boys on Sunday, with managers Steve Bruce and Roy Keane also looking to outdo each other.
Cole added: "They are two very driven characters. They played for a top manager.
"Roy has just come into management and he has shown his qualities already.
"Brucie has been a manager for quite a few years. There are ups and downs in management and he has turned the corner here and got Birmingham promoted.
"Roy has got Sunderland promoted and he has done a great job and I'm pleased for the pair of them."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Cole fired up to deny Yorke
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 11:38:28 AM »
ironic enough if they ever clash now, Yorke will be pelting blade on him instead of collecting a nice through pass

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 01:08:38 PM »
Sunderland completeing the "worst to first" transition tomorrow.

Brum will have a hard time getting past Preston and Luton good for a cutass.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 02:42:09 PM »
so...southampton out too?

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile