April 26, 2024, 11:51:01 PM

Poll

Which are you more likely to choose to help raise funds for FPATT?

collection box in bar/office
2 (5.3%)
go to bank to make deposit
3 (7.9%)
attend fundraising match/lime
12 (31.6%)
buy FPATT clothing
5 (13.2%)
donation by post
4 (10.5%)
donation by card via iternet
11 (28.9%)
Would not donate
1 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: July 30, 2007, 04:00:37 PM

Author Topic: FPATT Thread  (Read 132628 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: FPATT at crawling stage to sign Pro League players as members.
« Reply #300 on: October 02, 2007, 02:53:36 PM »
how you could come down to ah player from tobago united and tell him join your club, and charge him ah fee tell him yuh go take care ah him den leave on the next flight to england???

as soon as that same feller get called up and dey see he is part of a club that sue them.

allyuh need to start posting from yuh heart and what you truely feel. trust meh it does feel better than having the general board agreeing with yuh.
I doubt anybody here posting tuh have de board agree with them...least of all not me.  FPATT is not a club...it's a Union.  When Buzz Butler was trying to form the Oilfield Workers Trade Union in the 30s you think the colonial powers that be were happy?  Of course not, they charged him with sedition and jailed him for 7 years.  They released him and then jailed him again...all because he was agitating for workers rights.  These footballers aren't toiling under the same dangerous conditions as the oil workers before them...but their situation isn't any less unfair. 

The TTFF 'colonial powers' have the players over a barrel and it will take a major gut-check...say nothing of an attitude adjustment for them to stand up to the TTFF and demand a more equitable situation.  More even distribution of income, better player agreements, better conditions when on national duty, endowment of a player pension for ex-national team members...the list goes on and on.

How anyone in their right minds can oppose this is beyond me.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 02, 2007, 03:59:15 PM »
Back in 1907, the Man Utd players who formed the worlds first players union were banned from football. Today, football unions are accepted and encouraged......apart from in countries where there is something to be afraid of.

What I cannot understand is why guys playing for Jabloteh and W Connection think they don't need to join something that John Terry, Ronaldo, Essien, Henry, Zidane and 45,000 other professional footballers have joined?

As some people have mentioned, its down to education. However, most of you guys have realised the benefits and you don't kick a ball to earn your dollars, so why don't they?

My big question, as always, is....why don't they make contact and ask about FPATT?

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #302 on: October 02, 2007, 04:24:22 PM »
I think it would help if the local committee members were more visible and vocal about it...not just the ones abroad.
Leonson, Clayton...those guys in contact with the local players on a regular.  If it is they are in fact talking to them but people are not signing up then you really need to know why and let them speak openly like what morvant talking about.

I think it was said before some of them adopting a wait and see approach...especially considering the court case and FPATT have effectively been wound up as one...right now it doesn't seem possible to separate the two even if is just perceptions.  Even the foreign media say FPATT was formed to see about the court case and they had the press release in writing in front of them!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 04:30:21 PM by dcs »

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 02, 2007, 07:26:30 PM »
I just have two questions here,locally who would you consider that is players presently playing,commands any respect from the TTFF?would the foreigners playing in the Pro league be part off or get help from FPATT?

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 02, 2007, 08:49:42 PM »
FPATT

I have a suggestion which you may have already tried but you be the judge.

Why not have this information for the players to join FPATT come from the coaches and upper management of each of the clubs. I know you have had meetings already, (Jabloteh I think) or was it for all who wanted to attend, to explain the position and importance of FPATT.

However, instead of trying to explain to a youth or PFL "professional" the importance of joining a players union, if it was indirectly mandated by management and reinforced by coaches and captains as to its importance, FPATT may get further faster. That is, if management says "if you want to play for my club we strongly encourage our players to join FPATT".

Granted, this is a form of force feeding members to join.
Some might say..."You can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink"
I say "force a little of the water down the horse throat cause once it gets the taste there is no turning back"
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 08:54:00 PM by trinbago »
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 02, 2007, 10:57:37 PM »
FPATT

I have a suggestion which you may have already tried but you be the judge.

Why not have this information for the players to join FPATT come from the coaches and upper management of each of the clubs. I know you have had meetings already, (Jabloteh I think) or was it for all who wanted to attend, to explain the position and importance of FPATT.

However, instead of trying to explain to a youth or PFL "professional" the importance of joining a players union, if it was indirectly mandated by management and reinforced by coaches and captains as to its importance, FPATT may get further faster. That is, if management says "if you want to play for my club we strongly encourage our players to join FPATT".

Granted, this is a form of force feeding members to join.
Some might say..."You can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink"
I say "force a little of the water down the horse throat cause once it gets the taste there is no turning back"

Lol..never happen.

Management and Unions are like oil and water...they know what a threat an organized player body will be.  Allyuh feel this FPATT thing is just about the TTFF?? It's about the players rights in every arena...including their dealings with their professional club.  Can you imagine GM telling a factory applicant that he HAS to join the United Automotive Workers Union??  They'd faster slip him an extra $5,000 to not join.

Offline Diambars

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 03, 2007, 02:08:24 AM »
Change is never easy to implement, muchless change of this magnititude.  Some of you are accusing the players of being "dotish" etc., but has anyone consider the magnititude of the change that i s being asked of them and that this will be a slow process?  First, they have to be educated on the purpose, benefits and potential initial consequence, along with the long term benefit.  This may need to be done on an individual basis on in small groups.  Also, we may need to come to terms with the fact that the concept of a union may serve the next generation of players and not this generation.  But FPATT could probably use more positive contribution than criticism at this stage because they have done the hard work which was getting it started.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 03, 2007, 03:25:42 AM »
In many companies in the UK you have to choose NOT to join the union. This is called a "closed shop" where there is only one union allowed. Management would rather deal with one union and build a relationship than loads of different unions with their own agendas.

Other companies have works committees, which are independent from the business. They work the same as unions, except they are funded by the company. As they are not affiliated to other unions, outside industrial matters do not effect them. i.e. if train drivers go on strike, the works committee would not be expected to support them.

In England, and some other countries, as soon as you sign professional players with an English club, you agree to join PFA and pay subs. You have to physically opt out.  Players often ask me how they go about joining and I explain that they've been members since they signed Pro!

This has been made part of the contract with the club and FA, so you can see that the PFA is supported by both clubs and administrators.

If FPATT are ever recognised by TTFF, this is how membership should be tackled in the future.

To answer Coops questions any player playing in the ProLeague can be a member. As for commanding respect with TTFF, I would think Carlos is the main one as he was not involved in the court case.   

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
World body recognises FPATT.
« Reply #308 on: October 13, 2007, 05:00:33 AM »
World body recognises FPATT.
By: Ian Prescott (Express).
[/size]

Moving Ahead

Trinidad and Tobago's ambitious attempt to establish a football players association has been recognised by the Fédération International de Footballeurs Professionels (FIFPro), who are on the verge of making the fledging organisation its 43rd full member. FIFPro, is a world-wide representative organisation for professional football players, of which 42 national players associations are members.
Yesterday, the recently-established Football Association of Trinidad and Tobago (FPATT) announced that they are on the verge of world recognition, and also that their struggle to protect T&T footballers is also gaining Caribbean interest.
These were among the revelations yesterday at a symposium held by the local Trinidad and Tobago Pro League at the VIP Lounge, Hasely Crawford Stadium. The symposium was well-attended, drawing representatives from all 10 clubs that play professional football in T&T.
Present yesterday, were Dexter Skeene, CEO of the T&T Pro League; Neil 'Shaka' Hislop, FPATT's interim president; vice-president Clayton Morris; and Alison Ayres, the Players Association's general secretary.
Ayres announced that T&T's status is currently that of a candidate member, but is soon to be upgraded.
"There are certain criteria and a process by which you would obtain full membership. We have met the criteria in terms of the organisation being legitimate, our membership drive has started, and being a candidate member means that they have recognised us as an organisation representing footballers in Trinidad and Tobago, and by extension the overseas-based."
He added: "They have now started officially with a view of us obtaining full membership. As a matter of fact, we have already been invited to a conference in Barcelona where this will all be made official, and we expect to have a letter forwarded to us very soon," Ayres declared.
Ayres said he had also spoken to several Caribbean players playing in T&T and also had correspondence with Caribbean persons, all of whom are interested in also having players associations established in their countries.
"I have spoken to some of the Caribbean players who play here, and they have a similar interest. So across the board, it should spread across the Caribbean region with a view of improving the professionalism of the game throughout the region."
Also addressing the gathering was Hislop, the now retired "Soca Warriors" goalkeeper, who has played with English Premier League clubs West Ham, Newcastle and finally the Major League Soccer (MLS) outfit, FC Dallas in the United States.
Hislop wanted to allay fears that FPATT would take a confrontational stance with either the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) or local clubs. He said a football players association should be a norm and recalled his own experience in England.
"As a player in England, this came with signing your pro contract. As I signed a pro contract, I was immediately made a member of the PFA (English Professional Players Association). So, a lot of concerns were taken away from me....and happily so, I must say."
"We (FPATT) don't anticipate strikes, conflicts, or war of words in the press. We would like to deal with disagreements quietly behind closed doors, and I feel we can do that. I feel that both our efforts will only serve to take Trinidad and Tobago Football forward, Hislop said, while Skeene remarked that the T&T Pro League fully endorsed FPATT.
"The reason we invited the Association's representatives here is because the league has seen it fit, and the league fully endorses the players association. We have said repeatedly, our players are our number one asset."
Both Randolph Jerome, North East Stars Guyanese striker, and W Connections Leslie "Tiger" Fitzpatrick encouraged players to join FPATT, and so access its benefits such as insurance protection during their playing careers and the possibility of earning a pension after retirement.
Fitzpatrick, who has already signed up, recalled that Cornell Glen, Anthony Noriega and himself were all injured while playing with the Trinidad and Tobago national football team, and noted that there is a lot of uncertainty in a footballer's career.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 08:35:11 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Re: World body recognises FPATT.
« Reply #309 on: October 13, 2007, 05:12:25 AM »
 :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:  :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 05:14:20 AM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 13, 2007, 06:09:37 AM »
Not surprising de Pro League endorse FPATT.Remember Skeene and Hislop go back to school days at CIC.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 13, 2007, 09:46:30 AM »
Nice moves by FPATT, TTPL, Jerome and Tiger.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 13, 2007, 09:47:56 AM »
The local players should not hesitate to join up....

Good job Shaka... now go challenge Oliver Camps for his position, elections is around the corner, unless Jack decide to give his son Darryl Warner or Michael McComie his position. Every elections Jack vote for Camps and Camps votes for Jack....  real democracy we dealing with.....  :devil:
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 13, 2007, 11:05:02 AM »
Incredibly good news and one that likely will prove memorable for FPATT in the years to come.

slightly off topic...isn't "Shaka" de man given name...is why they quoting it like ah nickname ???

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 13, 2007, 11:08:24 AM »
slightly off topic...isn't "Shaka" de man given name...is why they quoting it like ah nickname ???
De only probable reason is because it is his middle name. His first name is Neil.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: October 13, 2007, 11:48:28 AM »
De only probable reason is because it is his middle name. His first name is Neil.
See that's what I saying too...Trini journalists juss like tuh play they in thing sometimes, lol.

Thanks for confirming.

Offline PATRIOT

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 13, 2007, 01:13:04 PM »

You ARE 100% correct. His First name IS Neil and Shaka is his middle name

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 13, 2007, 05:29:29 PM »
FYI Kona is Terrence
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 13, 2007, 05:45:16 PM »

You ARE 100% correct. His First name IS Neil and Shaka is his middle name
Yeah...figured as much, but Shaka being a given name it's just silly to put it in quotes, but that's Trini journalism for you.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 14, 2007, 12:02:45 PM »
Trini journalismis ah oxymoron. Fellas who does write essay in d newspaper more accurate
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 14, 2007, 12:09:15 PM »
Trini journalismis ah oxymoron. Fellas who does write essay in d newspaper more accurate
We have some men who real gifted with the pen...men like Terry Joseph, Keith Smith...BC Pires...even older heads like Lloyd Best and Ken Gordon himself.  But sweet jeebus I dunno what has become of journalism in TnT.  Is like they hire a bunch of people straight outta secondary school and put them in front ah computer out of sheer necessity.  As we were discussing in another thread though, it's not all the fault of the writers because even the best among us make mistakes...one really has to wonder if the editors are asleep there at the wheel.

EDIT: Apologies to the women writers...but none of them really impressed me, good writers all...but the language at times tends to be too frivolous and flowery.  There was one young journalist I encountered a couple years ago and was thoroughly impressed by her obvious mastery of the prose, but I can't recall her name right now.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 12:13:12 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Diambars

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
DOES ANYONE KNOW - CALLING FPATT?
« Reply #321 on: October 16, 2007, 08:04:38 AM »
Does anyone know what the WC receive for match fees prior to and during the WC?  And how does it compare to what the players are receiving now?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 05:38:53 AM by Diambars »

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW - CALLING FPRATT?
« Reply #322 on: October 16, 2007, 09:14:06 AM »
FPATT

I remember back in de qualifying for 2002 there was a list of match fees that was published when Rahim was still in college.
Do a search.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
FPATT on Soca Warriors Online.
« Reply #323 on: November 20, 2007, 10:43:37 PM »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: FPATT on Soca Warriors Online.
« Reply #324 on: November 20, 2007, 10:54:59 PM »
Lovely no man is an island we all need each other especially with d vampires around. Let's rally round FPATT

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 21, 2007, 02:11:57 AM »
 :applause: :applause:
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 21, 2007, 05:30:22 AM »
Well done. Well done. More progress. Let the word get out  :applause:
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 21, 2007, 05:54:17 AM »
I guess if Flex doh step forward nobody else will step up. FPATT website taking forever to launch.

EXCELLENT WORK Flex ... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this will definately help FPATT get started. And de page wicked to.... nice wording......
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 05:59:17 AM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 21, 2007, 06:50:52 AM »
jes curious...is carlos edwards a member of FPATT, cause he not on the list?...i saw him on friday in the FPATT social and he was wearing a FPATT shirt

great work as usual flex

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 21, 2007, 07:06:23 AM »
nicely done..

just a note though, please fix this typo:

Never back away from a challenging opportunity because you lack the knowledge.
You can always acquire knowledge.
PHATT is here for you.
Know your rights.
Help make a difference.

1]; } ?>