April 26, 2024, 07:46:50 PM

Author Topic: Ryan Giggs  (Read 6686 times)

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ryan Giggs
« on: May 07, 2007, 09:59:36 AM »
Congrats to Ryan Joseph Giggs. Nine Premiership titles, the most League medals won by any single player (yesterday's triumph surpasses Alan Hansen and Phil Neal... one more up on the Scouse  ;D ). He has also won a total of 23 trophies with his one club, the mighty Manchester United. He is also on course to beat Sir Bobby Charlton's appearance record.

Here's to a legendary winger and a consummate professional; today's over-hyped players STILL aren't fit enough to lace his boots.

Here is a tribute on Youtube that I like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrM7HyptOKk

Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs running down the wing
Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs can do anything
Feared by the Blues, loved by the Reds
Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs...

#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan Giggs
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 10:08:48 AM »
 :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :chilling: :chilling: :chilling: :chilling: :chilling: :chilling: :chilling: :chilling: :chilling: :chilling:

De man is jus ah boss :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 10:27:38 AM »
Yeah, but he never win a League Cup  ;D
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 10:35:34 AM »
Here's to a legendary winger and a consummate professional; today's over-hyped players STILL aren't fit enough to lace his boots.

Not a Man U fan but I wholeheartedly agree.

Best player on the squad

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 10:39:41 AM »
Obviously I hope Man Utd don't win the title again but if they do before Ryan Giggs retires it be cool if when he picked up his 10th one he had all of them around his neck  ;D ..... In a Pimp hat  ;D

(Well the first wasn't a medal it was 6cm trophy)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 10:47:28 AM »
take that haters  :devil: :beermug:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 12:14:10 PM »

Cough Cough Wigan last year dumbass

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 01:28:17 PM »
Another interesting factoid about Giggsy; apparently his father (Danny Wilson, a rugby player of some note) is black; Giggs is of mixed race. He has talked about being subjected to racial taunts as a youth, and he has done a lot of work with the Kick It Out programme.

(I saw this bit on Wiki)
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 01:44:10 PM »
why he not named ryan wilson? well, he's a boss. lungs fuh so. 

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 01:51:01 PM »
Another interesting factoid about Giggsy; apparently his father (Danny Wilson, a rugby player of some note) is black; Giggs is of mixed race. He has talked about being subjected to racial taunts as a youth, and he has done a lot of work with the Kick It Out programme.

(I saw this bit on Wiki)

Thats old news.
Alot people dislike him because He denied for a very long time now he tries to go on like he embraces it but he doesn't want to talk about it lol.

The African linage is from Sierra Leone for anybody who wants to know.

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 01:56:02 PM »
why he not named ryan wilson? well, he's a boss. lungs fuh so. 

He did not have a good relationship with his father (borderline abusive to his mother and the rest of the family), and he wanted to be known as his mother's son.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 02:08:34 PM »
never was a ManUre fan but always liked Giggs

last of a dying breed of out and out speedy wingers

one of my favorites was a CL encounter against Fiorentina in the 90's and the RB for Fiorentina was a man named Torricelli. The amount ah drag Torricelli get from Giggs was amazing.

Congrats to the man he deserve it. A class player.

Més que un club.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 02:38:27 PM »

(I saw this bit on Wiki)

Thats old news.
Alot people dislike him because He denied for a very long time now he tries to go on like he embraces it but he doesn't want to talk about it lol.

I would venture to guess he never denied it...it's kinda ridiculous given his father was a bit of a public figure. I bet that there were those who wished he spoke up more about it and got the wrong idea. His father was mixed (black in England..but a red man in T&T) in case anyone was wondering why Giggsy has no trace of mixed features
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 02:40:18 PM by Filho »

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 02:49:11 PM »

(I saw this bit on Wiki)

Thats old news.

I would venture to guess he never denied it...it's kinda ridiculous given his father was a bit of a public figure. I bet that there were those who wished he spoke up more about it and got the wrong idea. His father was mixed (black in England..but a red man in T&T) in case anyone was wondering why Giggsy has no trace of mixed features

each to his own, I'm not getting my info from people who have met him once off or ''those who wished he spoke up more about it and got the wrong idea''

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 02:52:42 PM »

(I saw this bit on Wiki)

Thats old news.

Quite right... he never denied it. There will always be people who would like to tell him how he should handle the situation, but none of us lived his life and none of us have the right to tell him how should live his life now and in the future. There was an article about an art exhibition  featuring black sportsmen (anybody remember George Berry?) who represented Wales and Giggs gladly gave permission to use his images.
Anyway, to me this is just another interesting dimension to someone I consider a living legend in football.
His race is not the point of this thread, but rather his legendary status as a player.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 02:55:28 PM by Cantona007 »

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2007, 02:58:30 PM »
each to his own, I'm not getting my info from people who have met him once off or ''those who wished he spoke up more about it and got the wrong idea''

and i have no info..just said it was a guess since it seemed a bit odd. not criticising you or saying anything you said was wrong. was hoping it would start a dialogue where u said more about your post where you could clarify whether you are posting a rumor/heresay or whether it is based on something he actually said

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2007, 03:09:20 PM »

(I saw this bit on Wiki)

Thats old news.

Quite right... he never denied it [/color] [/b] There will always be people who would like to tell him how he should handle the situation, but none of us lived his life and none of us have the right to tell him how should live his life now and in the future. There was an article about an art exhibition  featuring black sportsmen (anybody remember George Berry?) who represented Wales and Giggs gladly gave permission to use his images.
Anyway, to me this is just another interesting dimension to someone I consider a living legend in football.
His race is not the point of this thread, but rather his legendary status as a player.

A Guess a wrong one too

Quite right but I wasn't the one who brought it up, Who brought up the topic of his cultural heritage ? I think that respond holds some responsibility for bring it up

As for Filho: Ok.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 03:12:57 PM by Carib-briton »

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2007, 03:12:53 PM »

(I saw this bit on Wiki)

Thats old news.

Quite right... he never denied it. There will always be people who would like to tell him how he should handle the situation, but none of us lived his life and none of us have the right to tell him how should live his life now and in the future. There was an article about an art exhibition  featuring black sportsmen (anybody remember George Berry?) who represented Wales and Giggs gladly gave permission to use his images.

javascript:void(0);
Beer Mug

A Guess

Quite right but I wasn't the one who brought it up

As for Filho: Ok.

A fact. He has openly admitted it.

As for you, OK as well  :beermug:
Like I said, I did not want to turn this into a discussion about his race. Cheers.

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2007, 03:17:23 PM »
Cantona 007 don't try and make people look bad, he has denied it, he might not of denied it now but yes in the past he has been an idiot an denied it.

Cantona007 your going on like your the voice of reason but your the one that brought up the irrelevance of his heritage but trying to criticise others on the sly

Congrats to Giggs on his 9 medals the showing of a true world class player and he is good at his profession but I think he is a waste man for denying in the past that he has African heritage and still to this day he finds it uncomfortable to talk about.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2007, 04:32:24 PM »

Won one as far back as 1992 as well.

As far as I know Giggs has ackowledged his Welsh and black heritage through his father from the very earlies. It has always been a non-issue. He never made a big deal of it and surprisingly the media never pressed. It was like a well-known secret almost.

He probably hasn't publicly embraced his black heritage but I would be surprised if he openly denied it since he went on record very early about who his father was.

As for his legacy. Giggs is the only modern United player who will DEFINITELY make an all-star team. He is by far and away the bset left-winger to play at the club. All other positions, even Keane and Cantona, you will have to question "well this one might have been better" or "that one was real good too", but not Giggs.

He has seen off all challengers.

Interesting note.

If Gary Speed decides to come back next year and when Yorke gets a sweat for Sunderland, Yorke , Keane, Sutton and Giggs will be the only regular starters from the inaugural season to still be suiting up in the premiership. Other current players like Sol Campbell, Ian Pearce, Ehiougu and Butt get small sweat but none of them held down a starting spot.

Giggs will eventually outlast the other three.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2007, 04:35:50 PM »

Thats what I thought but didn't know if he played I know that Brain McClair scored in that final, that era Adidas we're making some digusting away shirts.

See Man U or Arsenal 1991/1992 Away Shirts.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2007, 04:51:13 PM »
Is a pity he never layed for England though.

Never know what he may have added to the England team.

Més que un club.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2007, 04:53:03 PM »
Is a pity he never layed for England though.

Never know what he may have added to the England team.

He woulda made a quality contribution but he alone cyar save dem nah

and England need plenty saving

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2007, 06:55:14 PM »

Thats what I thought but didn't know if he played I know that Brain McClair scored in that final, that era Adidas we're making some digusting away shirts.

Believe it or not but I have been looking for that blue micro-print on ebay for a while now.

Probably just nostalgia but that was a nice kit especially the pants.

That kit, the white that they wore in the 1990 final are two that I would buy if the size, price and condition were right.

The holy grail is the 1991 Cup Winners Cup Final special edition with no "Sharp" logo. An absolute beauty of a shirt.

These photos do not do it justice.

THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2007, 08:03:34 PM »
Great player- one of those great ones who sadly never played in a WC (and prob never will)...

Another interesting factoid about Giggsy; apparently his father (Danny Wilson, a rugby player of some note) is black; Giggs is of mixed race.

Why is that interesting?

And......Why not open up the discussion to Ashley Cole, Jermaine Jenas, Theo Walcott, Wes Brown and every player of interracial heritage in the EPL for that matter.......or is it not interesting that they are of interracial heritage as well?  (just givin' yuh a hard time)...

Cheers Giggs  :beermug:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 08:06:49 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2007, 08:17:03 PM »

(I saw this bit on Wiki)

It is an interesting factoid. I did not know that.

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2007, 09:22:07 PM »

Not a Man U fan but I wholeheartedly agree.

Best player on the squad

No doubt, he is a boss player. One of my favourite Giggs memories is the goal he scored against Arsenal in the  1999 FA Cup Semifinal. Pure class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrOyedpeZnk
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2007, 09:54:35 PM »
Great player- one of those great ones who sadly never played in a WC (and prob never will)...

Another interesting factoid about Giggsy; apparently his father (Danny Wilson, a rugby player of some note) is black; Giggs is of mixed race.

Why is that interesting?

And......Why not open up the discussion to Ashley Cole, Jermaine Jenas, Theo Walcott, Wes Brown and every player of interracial heritage in the EPL for that matter.......or is it not interesting that they are of interracial heritage as well?  (just givin' yuh a hard time)...

Cheers Giggs  :beermug:

Because we talking about Giggs only  ;D
No scene :-) I know it's just kicks.
With respect to Giggs playing for England, I seem to remember that this was not possible. I think all his grandparents were Welsh so there really was not enough of an English connection. The confusion stems from the fact that he played for the English schoolboys team (captain?) because he went to school in England (grew up in Manchester), but he could not play at a higher level.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2007, 10:51:37 PM »

For real...Wales is one of those teams that could be much better under the right management/coaching. Giggs aside they produced some class players over the years...Speed, Earnshaw, Bellamy, John Hartson, Delaney. In fact de team is good (based on friendlies/qualifiers I saw) but their continental zone is competitive

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2007, 03:11:33 AM »

Believe it or not but I have been looking for that blue micro-print on ebay for a while now.

Probably just nostalgia but that was a nice kit especially the pants.

That kit, the white that they wore in the 1990 final are two that I would buy if the size, price and condition were right.

The holy grail is the 1991 Cup Winners Cup Final special edition with no "Sharp" logo. An absolute beauty of a shirt.

These photos do not do it justice.

Recently the Addias Shop on Oxford Street, London re-released Liverpool's old Home Shirt

1]; } ?>